Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zeroisanumber posted:

gently caress that guy he should rot in federal prison until he dies.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

botany posted:

Why? He's clearly not a danger to society, and he can't exactly go back to spying now that everybody knows who he is. Outside of retributive justice, there is no coherent reason that I can see for why he should be locked up.

Committing Treason is a bitch? Especially when its selling secrets to the highest bidder?

I love that we're cheerleading the release of the one guy who actually has a legitimate reason to be behind bars for the foreseeable future.

Either way, his time is up, so like others have said, its moot.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

To be fair the information Ames and Hanssen provided the Soviet Union/Russia compromised a lot of CIA agents working in the field. If I remember correctly Pollard's intel didn't compromise any operations or operatives.

SIGINT breach is a step away from compromising ALL your agents, not just identifying a few select ones. See what happened to the German Intelligence Branch during World War 2.

The best part of the whole Esionage deal with Pollard

quote:

When asked to return the stolen material, the Israelis reportedly turned over only a few dozen low-classified documents.[43] At the time, the Americans knew that Pollard had passed tens of thousands of documents. When American investigators traveled to Israel, they were treated with hostility from the moment they arrived to the moment they left.[43] The Israelis created a schedule designed to wear them down, including many hours per day of commuting in blacked-out buses on rough roads, and frequent switching of buses,[43] leaving them without adequate time to sleep, and preventing them from sleeping on the commute.[43] The identity of Pollard's original handler, Sella, was withheld. All questions had to be translated into Hebrew and answered in Hebrew, and then translated back into English, even though all the parties spoke perfect English.[43] The Commander Jerry Agee remembers that, even as he departed the airport, airport security made a point of informing him that "you will never be coming back here again." After his return to the US, Agee found various items had been stolen from his luggage.[43] The abuse came not only from the guards and officials, but also the Israeli media.

Our allies. :rolleyes:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 29, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bedshaped posted:

America isn't even that great that spying on them is a big deal. So you should be let off with a minor warning IMHO.

Nah, its spying on America when you are not only supposed to be a strong ally, but also on the receiving end of large amount of American tax payer money to begin with.

Pollard's handler was welcomed back to Israel as a hero, and given command of an Air Base until the US Congress threatened to cut funding to Israel, and he stepped down to defuse the situation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Abner Cadaver II posted:

What everyone else said - he literally sold classified documents for his own profit. That's on a whole other level than dealing drugs or other crimes. This is an instance where deterrence is necessary because otherwise you're making treason very low-risk/high-reward relative to other crimes.

And it wasn't only Israel, the guy was trying to setup weapons deals with Iran, South Africa, Pakistan, etc.

The guy is a loose cannon and helped get his wife classified documents to benefit her own personal business interests.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Abner Cadaver II posted:

Wouldn't that have been apartheid era SA too? Man, gently caress that guy.

Not that its suprising that a guy working the the Israeli Intelligence would be a-okay with apartheid or anything.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

It's not even just "caught spying on America", it's doing so and being so brazenly proud of it as to act like we're the assholes for daring to lock up one of our citizens for committing one of the most legitimately serious felonies on the books.

Well, its easy to act like this when nearly every political or diplomacy move made is justified by "We're right no matter what"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrNemo posted:

I'd say 30 years in prison for selling secrets to a relatively neutral nation is a reasonable deterrent by itself.

:airquote: Neutral Nation :airquote:

Like trying to setup weapons deals with Iran?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MrNemo posted:

Ultimately I can't see a workable justification for treating this crime as different from what Manning or Snoweden did and I couldn't in all conscience endorse the death penalty or life imprisonment for either of them.

Uhhhhhhhh.....

What? Are you comparing a guy who stole and sold intelligence assets for financial gain to guys who were trying to blow the whistle? Are you serious?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gravel Gravy posted:

When has "Christian thing to do" ever factored into national security?

Obviously during Iran-Contra.

.....wait a minute.

Mandy Thompson posted:

And what he did was wrong but he didn't do it yesterday. We should be ready to forgive people. He's done his penance. It would be the Christian thing to do.

He wanted to sell national security assets for profit. gently caress him.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

The first part applies to ordinary common violent criminals and drug dealers but I think most people here would say that an armed robber or drug dealer should have an opportunity for parole if they have done their time, been a model prisoner, and participated in programs to rehabilitate themselves. The second part suggests that you're not willing to extend him the same courtesy because of politics. Yes Israel is terrible and nationalists are assholes but we have to look at the person first. Otherwise we are just being stubborn and contrary to nationalists like Republicans are to Obama. We should be consistent instead of changing our views to be contrary to someone we don't like. Justice is supposed to be blind to politics.

Considering he is pretty insistent that he did this to 'support Israel', even going so far as to attempt to renounce his US Citizenship, and despite him attempting to open weapons and intel sales with Iran, South Africa, and Pakistan which flies in the face of his claims about his dedication to Israel, I think its safe to say he has in no way been rehabilitated.

He's a scummy traitor, a liar, and a profiteer.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

And that is something to be take into consideration with the totality of what he has done in prison, by a blind, impartial, and objective parole board and court system rather than wrathful mobs based on whether they like Israel or not.

Oh, shut up.

We're doing this based on the fact that he thought only of himself when stealing US National Intelligence assets and selling them to the highest bidder, while claiming to support a country who CLAIMS to be one of our greatest allies that then proceeded to TREAT US LIKE DIRT when we attempted to investigate a major security breach. We fund this same country with US Tax Dollars, so there is NO EXCUSE for their actions or their response.

Mandy Thompson posted:

30 years ago. We should be willing to forgive people.

That isn't how being a spy works. Sorry.

There is a strong chance some of the assets he stole led to agents being killed.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 30, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Justice isn't meant to serve national interests. Justice is blind. National interests aren't justice.

Spies tend to ignore justice for personal gain or other nation's interests.

He should be serving life in prison for possible endangering national security assets, which by the way includes living breathing people.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

As do any other common thieves, but we are willing to parole thieves.

What about murderers? Since its very likely some of the assets he stole might have gotten people killed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Well first of all Jeffrey Dahmer is dead so that is a moot point. But even if he was still alive, he was not a model prisoner at all, showed no evidence of trying to change, and would be very likely to commit another crime if he was released.

:ssh: Neither is Jonathan Pollard. He's shown zero remorse for the actions he took. So, what is your point? He's renounced his US Citizenship, openly admitted and PROUDLY proclaimed his actions were just.

He's turned into a sideshow for the Israeli public, made a 'hero' and plays as much from within his cell.

Obdicut posted:

The point is your opinion of Israel shouldn't play into whether or not he gets granted parole or not. It should only be based on what it is for everyone else. Is he going to reoffend? No. He won't possibly have the capacity. If he's met the legal standard for release he should be released.

Um, yeah, we parole murderers.

He'll be released because that is the deal he got. I can't argue with that. I don't think he deserves to be released at all, considering how little remorse he's shown.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 30, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Yet many of you still seem to be calling for the release of Chelsea Manning (I agree) and it doesn't seem as though she has shown remorse.

CommieGIR posted:

Uhhhhhhhh.....

What? Are you comparing a guy who stole and sold intelligence assets for financial gain to guys who were trying to blow the whistle? Are you serious?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Obdicut posted:

This means Pollard committed an additional crime, which was the sale of the secrets. From a national security standpoint, though, broader release of the information is more damaging, and Manning released more than was necessary to just do whistle-blowing. She didn't even know everything she was releasing. It isn't inappropriate to note that if you want to be super-harsh on Pollard you give ammo to those who want to be harsh towards Manning--and Snowden.

True, the main problem being that Manning and Snowden was just releasing for general release, they didn't (as far as we know) seek to sell such assets or, even worse, arrange weapons sales with foreign nations like Pollard.

OwlFancier posted:

Not really, espionage is one of the least justifiable crimes one can commit. It's moderately well off people who are well educated and well trained trying to make money off of attacking the inner workings of a society. They don't need to do it, they just want to. Violent crime and theft is predominantly crime of desperation and passion, people either aren't thinking or are in a position where they feel they have little alternative, so no amount of punishment is going to deter that, unless you provide a reasonable alternative. In the case of espionage there are plenty of reasonable alternative ways to live but the person consciously decides to behave antisocially to further their own goals. It isn't that they are in a desperate situation, it's that they are greedy to the point of showing a complete disregard for the wellbeing of others.

In that instance I would consider it more expedient to simply shoot the fucker as an example to the rest.

A good point. We're comparing crimes of people who generally suffer from poverty or poor upbringing to a guy who was moderately financially stable and, during his espionage days, raking in large amounts of cash and gifts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Narciss posted:

I'm very disappointed to see so many posters falling for the "He's a Jew so he did it for the shekels" meme.

Doesn't matter if he was Jewish, Christian, Muslim, Bhuddist....

quote:

Within a few days, in June 1984 Pollard started passing classified information to Sella. He was paid $10,000 cash and given a very expensive diamond and sapphire ring, which Pollard later offered to his girlfriend Anne when proposing to her. Pollard was paid well by the Israelis: he received a salary that eventually reached $2,500 a month, and tens of thousands of dollars in cash disbursements for hotels, meals, and jewelry. In his pre-sentencing statement to Judge Robinson, Pollard said the money was a benefit that was forced on him. "I did accept money for my services," he acknowledged, but only "as a reflection of how well I was doing my job." He said that he had later told his controller, Rafi Eitan, a longtime spy who at the time headed Lekem, a scientific-intelligence unit in Israel, that "I not only intended to repay all the money I'd received but, also, was going to establish a chair at the Israeli General Staff's Intelligence Training Center outside Tel Aviv."[26][27]

Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) investigator Ronald Olive has alleged that Pollard passed classified information to South Africa,[28] and attempted, through a third party, to sell classified information to Pakistan on multiple occasions.[29] Pollard also stole classified documents related to China on behalf of his wife, who used the information to advance her personal business-interests. She kept these secret materials around the house, where investigating authorities discovered them when Pollard's espionage activity came to light

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Then consider the wall street banks that are the wealthiest among us who completely collapsed the economy. We give them very short sentences or fines even if what they do is often as destructive as any spy.

And everyone here would agree with you that this was wrong. But we're not talking about corruption in the Justice system towards the White Collar Elites are we?

Obdicut posted:

Yes, as i said, that means Pollard committed an additional crime. The idea that either Manning or Snowden would be likely to not do this again, though, is far less precisely because they were ideological, though. If your argument is to imprison people because they don't feel any remorse, then that will really obviously apply to Snowden and I think to Manning, though I don't know too much about her psyche now.

That more speaks towards our need for better whistleblower protections, but also towards guidelines for whistleblowers in general.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Madoff got harsh sentencing because he ripped off affluent whites and, quite possibly, a couple National Security controlled dummy corporations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Sure, it isn't just his lack or remorse though, he continues to be violent, dysfunctional, disassociated from reality, and has repeatedly vowed to kill again when they let him out.

:ironicat:

Know who else doesn't show remorse for trying to sell state secrets?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

We're talking about a Jewish person from Israel though

:allears: You're an idiot.

Mandy Thompson posted:

If Espionage is a sort of act of war, then in the past 30 years the political landscape has changed to the point that the war is essentially over. If he was a POW we would have let him out by now.

Its a war that never ends, so he'd be a permanent POW. Good comparison skills there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Plus it seems like we traded him for peace with Iran and not-war in the middle east. Seems like an good call.

On the face of it, yes. Netanyahu and a couple others have already said he had nothing to do with the deal and its all coincidental. Which is just fine for us.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mandy Thompson posted:

Many of you think I am okay with what he did, I am not. But I feel that 30 years is long enough for just about anyone short of true monsters like Ted Bundy and Charles Manson. Even Anders Brevik gets a parole hearing after 11 years and he killed 80 something people. That was in another country of course but I think it is a model that we should follow here.

You'd best consult with your buddy god first. That guy was pretty cool with capital punishment.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

However, he is being prevented from going to Israel :smuggo:

But the Israeli Government has already said they will get him funds and a house :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

I say let him go to Israel, maybe a rocket will land on his house.

Probably not, US funded Iron Dome and all. Maybe he can shoot a Palestinian.

• Locked thread