Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

PrBacterio posted:

:stonk: drat I would never have expected to find this much bloodthirst on here in a topic like this. I'll say this much, however: It would have been kind of nice if they had made it a condition that Mordechai Vanunu be allowed to leave Israel in return for Pollard's parole going through.

He was a pretty bad dude and an unrepentant, pathological liar. IIRC the FBI interviewed hundreds of people from throughout his life and not a single one could recall him mentioning Israel, Judaism, etc. Also, the SIGINT stuff he sold wasn't just a bunch of random info, it was incredibly dangerous material. From the Kaplan's article...

quote:

We now know (and M.E. Bowman, a senior counterintelligence officer who was working the Pollard case, has since confirmed) that the item in question was a National Security Agency manual called the RASIN, short for “Radio Signal Notations.” The RASIN was a guide to the physical parameters of every radio signal that the NSA was intercepting—a guide on how the NSA was tracking military communications, not just Israel’s but any and every country’s, including the Soviet Union’s. The RASIN was 10 volumes, and Pollard gave his Israeli handlers every single page of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kim Jong Il posted:

I think you're remembering that wrong, because the Hersh piece says he went on a trip to Israel when he was younger and then bragged to everyone about how he was a secret Mossad agent.

Not that his motivations were the same as Snowden or Manning, but people made the same harming national security argument for them, and it's clear they did not. All three harmed the self-perpetuating national security industrial complex state, but didn't actually make Americans less safe in any way whatsoever.

You're absolutely correct. I couldn't find the article that I was hazily remembering so I went to the NSA damage assesment PDF and it's right at the beginning. My bad.

quote:

For example, although Pollard earned a 3.5 grade point average as a
Stanford undergraduate from 1972-76~ former student acquaintances
told investigators that he bragged about his role as a Mossad agent
and, on one occasion, waved a pistol in the air and screamed that
everyone was out to get him. Pollard's fantasies regarding
involvement with clandestine US and Israeli intelligence operations
continued during his employment with US naval intelligence from
1979 to 1985.

• Locked thread