Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Darkman Fanpage posted:

My thought is death to spies.

Or at least not a traitor's hero's welcome.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

botany posted:

Why? He's clearly not a danger to society, and he can't exactly go back to spying now that everybody knows who he is. Outside of retributive justice, there is no coherent reason that I can see for why he should be locked up.

Deterrence for one.

"Spy for Israel, we'll pay you out the rear end and if you get caught we will bitch, moan, put you in our history textbooks and if you get out we will give you a hero's welcome".

Edit: Still it's his time to get out anyway, doesn't much matter.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

botany posted:

Deterrence is a lovely basis for imprisonment, not just because it doesn't work but also because it's unfair toward individuals to punish them not for what they have done but to make a statement. You're basically saying that Pollard deserves to remain locked up because freeing him would look politically inconvenient. That's not justice.

I think you are confusing common criminality with treason. Making the risks and costs of treason too great to consider is an effective deterrent when your country's experience with espionage has largely focused on financial gain.

But his 30 year sentence is up so not much point arguing about it.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Darkman Fanpage posted:

To be fair the information Ames and Hanssen provided the Soviet Union/Russia compromised a lot of CIA agents working in the field. If I remember correctly Pollard's intel didn't compromise any operations or operatives.

That's the kind of information Ames and Hanssen had since they were both in counter intelligence as far as I recall.

Pollard on the other hand dealt more in the communications and SIGINT side, so he may not have directly compromised anything but he opened the potential for it pretty much anywhere.

There isn't much nuance in treason though unless you are a Bluth.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

MrNemo posted:

In the context of the Cold War Israel was pretty close to neutral, I used the phrase to differentiate from selling secrets to a nation that is actively antagonistic or at war with your own nation where I can see greater desire for the strongest possible deterrence. Ultimately I can't see a workable justification for treating this crime as different from what Manning or Snoweden did and I couldn't in all conscience endorse the death penalty or life imprisonment for either of them. I don't think legal cases should be decided on an ideological basis.

Are you forgetting his contacts with South Africa and Pakistan? Ideology isn't a big factor here, he just really liked money.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
When has "Christian thing to do" ever factored into national security?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mandy Thompson posted:

The first part applies to ordinary common violent criminals and drug dealers but I think most people here would say that an armed robber or drug dealer should have an opportunity for parole if they have done their time, been a model prisoner, and participated in programs to rehabilitate themselves. The second part suggests that you're not willing to extend him the same courtesy because of politics. Yes Israel is terrible and nationalists are assholes but we have to look at the person first. Otherwise we are just being stubborn and contrary to nationalists like Republicans are to Obama. We should be consistent instead of changing our views to be contrary to someone we don't like. Justice is supposed to be blind to politics.

He sold out the security of at least 300 million people by selling as much information as he could to whoever would take it for material gain. Stop being willfully dense.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mandy Thompson posted:

30 years ago. We should be willing to forgive people.

Why? How would this serve national interests?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mandy Thompson posted:

Justice isn't meant to serve national interests. Justice is blind. National interests aren't justice.

So? There is only one abstract concept that has any relevance here.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mandy Thompson posted:

As do any other common thieves, but we are willing to parole thieves.

In that sense should Jeffrey Dahmer be parolled since he only thieved other peoples' torsos?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mandy Thompson posted:

My loyalty is first to God, then to justice, and to the "national interests" of the international proletariat.

Sounds like you are doing your Pledge of Allegiance all wrong, tbh

Mandy Thompson posted:

Well first of all Jeffrey Dahmer is dead so that is a moot point. But even if he was still alive, he was not a model prisoner at all, showed no evidence of trying to change, and would be very likely to commit another crime if he was released.

But aren't you interested in arguing moot points given that it was determined he'd get out this year?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Don't forget the leaked cables

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

Remorse is only considered in so far as it has to do with recidivism. In addition, remorse is one of those things I think is shittiest and most manipulable about the parole system. Cry some tears, say you found Jesus, and you get out quicker than a guy who disagrees with the level of punishment he got for the crime. It is mostly a show, but then, so are almost all aspects of our system when it comes to rehabilitation.

Not so, see Charles Manson.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

What do you mean by 'not so'?

Do you not feel that a lack of remorse is an issue when it comes to Manson's parole hearings?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mandy Thompson posted:

Sure, it isn't just his lack or remorse though, he continues to be violent, dysfunctional, disassociated from reality, and has repeatedly vowed to kill again when they let him out.

He's just an eccentric octogenarian though what's he going to do?

I'm just saying it'd be the Christian thing to let bygones be bygones.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

Yeah, I do. It would be even if we didn't have a parole system that leaned too heavily on the theatrics, as I said. I think maybe you think i'm saying something that I'm not. I'm saying that, ideally, remorse should only be considered in so far as it impacts recidivism, unless you're into the prison-as-punishment thing. If you are, then we just fundamentally disagree. Manson doesn't have remorse and is very likely to reoffend because of that lack of remorse.

How exactly does your concept of "rehabilitation" work if the subject is in no way rehabilitated from the state that they committed the crimes to begin with?

If no rehabilitation is present, then that is what a parole board is for.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
But "recidivism" here is only a matter because there is literally no chance that Pollard will be able to commit the same acts he did before because there is no way he would be let near a Hot Pocket wrapper from the CIA cafeteria.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

No, again, if someone isn't rehabilitated but doesn't have any capacity to commit that crime anymore, then whether or not they feel bad about it is completely immaterial.

Do you think Pollard is likely to go out and commit espionage again after being released?

You're confusing treason with a common crime.

If recidivism were a factor for all espionage cases no one would serve any time.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

And because he definitely doesn't have any relevant secrets anymore, or documents he stashed away, that would mean anything.

What is the argument for keeping him locked up, due to lack of remorse? Why should that mean he stays in prison? Again, if this is just a moral thing for you--that if he's not sorry for what he did he should be punished for it--then we have a fundamental disagreement.

I'm not saying he should remain. If there were any reason to it would have been mentioned by now since the year of his parole was known long ago.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

And because he definitely doesn't have any relevant secrets anymore, or documents he stashed away, that would mean anything.

Obdicut posted:

No, because anyone who committed espionage might have secrets they haven't yet revealed, for one thing.

:crossarms:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you've been arguing, then.

I've just been going along with My Imaginary Barney the Dinosaurs gimmick, you seemed to have jumped in on a tangent.

Obdicut posted:

What is confusing you about that?

I suppose how the statements contradict each other.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

No clue what this means but it sounds very internet.

They don't, though. If it were argued that Pollard still knew secrets that were unrevealed, then that'd be a reason to lock him up longer. You said by my recidivism reasoning, nobody would ever get locked up for espionage. But someone who just committed espionage obviously might have more unrevealed secrets. After 30 years, Pollard doesn't--or at least, nobody at all is arguing that he does.

This reasoning could be used to lock up a veritable shitload of people forever. It sucks.

There is very little room for wishy-washiness in national security or criminal justice.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

How you determine that 'someone had no need to commit it' part is the tricky bit. But all you said was "he will probably try to commit other antisocial acts in the future, and thus probably shouldn't be inflicted on the general population" which would justify locking up a ton of people, and even justify pre-emptively locking up a ton of people.

And that's the situation we have.

That's cool dude. Not sure what wishy-washiness you're seeing, but whatevs.

Quit mixing up general criminal justice with espionage and treason, it's tiresome.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Obdicut posted:

We're talking about the criminal sentencing and paroling of Pollard for the crime of of espionage, which was conducted through the general criminal justice system.

You're trying to draw a connection between a person robbing a convenience store multiple times to treason.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Mandy Thompson posted:

If Espionage is a sort of act of war, then in the past 30 years the political landscape has changed to the point that the war is essentially over. If he was a POW we would have let him out by now.

PoW suggests he was a prisoner for acts against another country, not his own. Also welcome back.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Venom Snake posted:

The worst serial killer can kill 60+ people. The worst traitor can kill millions. The reason why it's so bad is because it represents the selling out of not just the people directly around you but your entire society.

So when is your next Pollard reenactment?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Nonsense posted:

Likud is in power :lol: if you think he won't get a hero's welcome. BiBi hates Obammer.

Why, is Obama Ethiopian?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I suppose we'll find out in 2023. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ana_Montes#Incarceration

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

5 U.S.C. §3331 posted:

I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Someone fill me in as to where I can find financial gain as an exception for not breaking the oath. Or perhaps how selling secrets is in line with the oath. Maybe it's in the next section but OPM didn't seem to include it.

Edit: Further how is offering aid to Iran which by all measure was hostile towards the US at the time, not giving comfort? You're taking an awfully roundabout way just to be contrarian.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 3, 2015

• Locked thread