Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what employment Pollard found and if it'll be at a company with secrets to sell to the highest bidder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm really surprised, I thought most D&Ders were against the death penalty.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

I'm against the death penalty and prison for a great many crimes but that is because they are demonstrably unhelpful in dealing with them, and serve only to mask the social causes of the crimes and increase the amount of suffering those social problems cause, not only to the victims but also the perpetrators.

However I have no particular objection to just killing people who are sufficiently aberrant as to attack wider society without any justifiable reason.

You do you realize that it's entirely possible he doesn't show remorse because the prison system in the US isn't really built around getting people to feel remorse, right? And if you just kill them there'd be no way to know if they would ever feel sorry for what they did, not to mention there's no taking it back if it turns out they were innocent (not saying there's a chance of Pollard being innocent, but in general).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

OwlFancier posted:

And in general that is part of why I oppose the death penalty. But to my knowledge his case has been proven to an exceptional degree of surety.

I also don't think, given who he is and what is crime was, that there is much chance of changing his mind even with a more reform-based prison system, which on the whole would be an excellent idea. He was an affluent and educated man who decided he wasn't wealthy enough and/or that he didn't have an obligation to society, and thus it was OK to attempt to destabilise and damage that society for personal gain.

I would suggest the word "sociopath" may be accurately applied here. Whether he feels sorry is irrelevant, other than as a function of preventing him from causing further damage and extracting some constructive use from him. As he seems disinclined to work to repay his debt (which he hasn't paid simply by being in prison, he has accumulated more debt because he is costing society money by being in prison) and apparently sees nothing wrong with his actions to begin with, I would suggest that it is, at this point, entirely prudent to either not release him, or just kill him if that would be cheaper and spend the money you would have spent keeping him locked up forever on something more useful like social projects.

How do you define what's an 'exceptional degree of surety' (again, in general, not in Pollard's case)? How are you so sure a more rehabilitative system wouldn't have gotten Pollard to feel sorry? While I can accept keeping a person jailed until he shows that he's remorseful (which could be forever if he never rehabilitates depending on the severity of the crime), just killing them opens the gate to innocents getting wrongfully executed. And IIRC executing someone costs more than life in prison.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm sure people are ecstatic that if they're caught spying they'll only get 30 years + parole. I know I'm moving to the US to commit treason over there right now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

tsa posted:

This is called a line drawing fallacy, there are most certainly cases where the actions are not in question at all (Colorado theater shooting). Financial cost is a terrible way to go about the argument in general, I'm not sure why it's such a popular one.

How is this a fallacy? How do you define it in such a way so it won't be abused?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Typo posted:

treason is defined as aiding and giving comfort to the enemies of the United States, I don't think the US government sees Israel as an enemy.

He tried to sell the information to a bunch of places before contacting Israel.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Who said treason isn't a major crime? I just don't believe the death penalty is ever appropriate. Depending on the seriousness of the specific act of treason I'd be fine with life in prison (since there isn't a rehabilitative prison system).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

I don't know, if I'm gonna be killed for committing treason I'm not gonna want to do it as much.

But you will commit treason since you'll "only" end up in prison for 30 years? That's a bit more than I've been alive.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CSPAN Caller posted:

That's just one end of the reward/punishment spectrum and it ignores the perceived likelihood of that consequence happening. You could get away with selling secrets and live like a king in Israel. You could get caught, get a pretty light sentence, and move to Israel to live off a generous stipend. Worst case, you could get caught, spend decades in jail like Pollard, while your family prospers in Israel and you're treated by the Israeli right as a hero.

Selling state secrets is also the type of crime that has a potential to result in great harm to society. I see no downside to erring on the side of being extremely harsh with punishments because anything that even slightly reduces the chances of someone making this kind of decision has the potential for greatly reducing potential harm.

Before I write a reply, are you for the death penalty or against it?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

CSPAN Caller posted:

I think life in prison without parole should be the maximum punishment for any crime.

Okay, then we don't really disagree. I also believe Pollard should have a very severe punishment for his very severe crime, but not death. Whether it's life in prison or 30 years in prison then never being able to go to Israel to live like a king is for someone better than me at judging sentences to decide.

Of course if the US just lets Pollard go to Israel it'll be pretty lame, though I'd be interested to see how long it'll take people to forget Pollard existed once he comes here. I remember there was a person imprisoned in Egypt on charges of spying for Israel, and it took 8 years to bring him back, and at first he appeared on TV all the time but now I don't hear about him at all.

But now that I read a bit about him (his name is Azzam Azzam) this can easily be explained with the fact that he's a Druze.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

Well I'd definitely try to avoid it but at least I wont be dead if I get caught.

Cool, too bad this says nothing because you could say that about any crime. 'gee, if jaywalking carried a death sentence I'd sure do it less often!'

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

People will do things less if their is a chance that they will be murdered if they are caught, jaywalking is an example of this.

Edit: Treason is another example.

At least you admit it would be murder.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

drilldo squirt posted:

If you agree that execution is more effective than 30 years in prison in keeping people from committing treason, what are you arguing?

That execution is wrong.

e: also I'm not entirely sure it would deter better than a 30 year sentence, as most people who commit treason don't think they'll be caught

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He's a goddamn hero is what he is. :911butIsraelw/cryingBibi:

• Locked thread