Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
Of all the people in US prisons he's one of the few who should actually be there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

botany posted:

Why? He's clearly not a danger to society, and he can't exactly go back to spying now that everybody knows who he is. Outside of retributive justice, there is no coherent reason that I can see for why he should be locked up.

What everyone else said - he literally sold classified documents for his own profit. That's on a whole other level than dealing drugs or other crimes. This is an instance where deterrence is necessary because otherwise you're making treason very low-risk/high-reward relative to other crimes.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

CommieGIR posted:

And it wasn't only Israel, the guy was trying to setup weapons deals with Iran, South Africa, Pakistan, etc.

Wouldn't that have been apartheid era SA too? Man, gently caress that guy.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
If there was an Israeli citizen imprisoned for selling their information to the US would we have the same reaction as they did to Pollard? I find it hard to imagine.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

TheImmigrant posted:

How's it look? Sellouts who betray their home country don't make lasting heroes anywhere.

You're really underestimating how much the Israeli right-wing likes this guy.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
And from a different article:

quote:

Jonathan Pollard’s incarceration is close to a national obsession in Israel, where he has gone from being a source of embarrassment to a cause célèbre.

Whether or not the majority of Israelis feel it's an embarrassment or not doesn't matter. It's the hard-line right-wing that's holding him up as a hero and they have a fairly tight grip on political power there right now.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
So it's not treason because he was just indifferent to the well-being of the US?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

TheImmigrant posted:

It's not treason because words have definitions, and Pollard's actions do not match the definition of "treason."

Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

There's nothing in there about whether the intent behind giving aid and comfort is anti-US or just selfish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

TheImmigrant posted:

I don't know how to make this simpler for you. Interpretive finger paints, perhaps?

I didn't realize the legal definition of "adhere" was specifically "has openly declared allegiance to", I thought it just meant "cooperates with" (I wouldn't be a good lawyer!).

• Locked thread