Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

I'm against the death penalty and prison for a great many crimes but that is because they are demonstrably unhelpful in dealing with them, and serve only to mask the social causes of the crimes and increase the amount of suffering those social problems cause, not only to the victims but also the perpetrators.

However I have no particular objection to just killing people who are sufficiently aberrant as to attack wider society without any justifiable reason.

So it basically comes down to I support the death penalty for people whom I think deserves the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

I oppose the death penalty in all cases when it is counterproductive, which is the vast majority of them. I have no inherent objection to the death penalty. Deserve or not is rather irrelevant, what matters is whether particular responses to crime are useful in maintaining an orderly society within a reasonable degree of expense.

So you are pro-death penalty.

I mean, it's not an inherently indefensible position, but let's just be clear about this.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Venom Snake posted:

Life is more nuanced than binary positions. The idea you have to be labeled as pro or against when it comes to everything is toxic as hell.

But that's what being pro/anti-death penalty and all its implication means though.

People who are for the death penalty tend not to support it in all cases.

People who are anti-death penalty thinks it should never be applied.

It's really not anyone else's fault if you are uncomfortable with your own political opinions.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Venom Snake posted:

A person who is for a thing but understands it's limits or a person who is against a thing but understands when it might be nessecary is a much better way of going about thinking of people rather than using lazy short word labels. It's dumbing down of political discourse and reducing everything to black and white helps nobody.

The death penalty is bad, but is can be a necessary evil when it comes to removing awful extremely dangerous people like Pollard. Pollard did what he did 100% for money and he didn't give a single poo poo what happened to anyone who might get hurt by it.

Would you apply the same discourse to:

Rapists
Child murders
Edward Snowden
Bradley/whateverthehellhisorhernameisnow mannings

quote:

The death penalty is bad, but is can be a necessary evil when it comes to removing awful extremely dangerous people like Pollard.

This sort stuff stinks of trying to have your cake and eat it too.

You want to proclaim yourself to be humane but also wants the state to kill people in prison whom you don't like.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

No, I am situationally for and against the death penalty.

I think this is the position literally everybody who is on the pro-death penalty side takes though.

People tend not to support the death penalty for jaywalking for instance, everybody who is pro-death penalty wants to apply it situationally.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

OwlFancier posted:

Pro Life/Pro Choice.

Boiling complex arguments down to slogans to enhance your position is stupid. Everyone is pro life and pro choice. Every sound minded person is opposed to the use of the death penalty, but some people may believe it is productive in some instances, despite it being abhorrent.

Pithy names for things exist to try to homogenise the opposition. They're stupid and you should avoid using them.

Or you know, the position of "the state should never be allowed to take a human life through the justice system" is a valid one which is shared by the majority of people in many countries and thus the label of anti-death is a useful one for that position.

Face it, this comes down to the fact that you want to kill somebody for helping a political regime hated by the left but can't reconcile it with the new left's stance against the death penalty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

AlexanderCA posted:

IIRC a spy infiltrates your group from the outside.
A traitor sells out his own.

The Israeli guy handling Pollard was a spy. Pollard is a traitor to the Americans. Pollard was afforded certain rights and duties as a US citizens, which he abused while the Israeli spy was never expected to be loyal to the US.

treason is defined as aiding and giving comfort to the enemies of the United States, I don't think the US government sees Israel as an enemy.

• Locked thread