Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Rollofthedice posted:

Can someone give/link me some details about Pollard? He was before my time and google's just telling me "he gave info to Israel and Netanyahu likes him".

Pollard was just a spy, what really pissed off the US is that instead of apologizing and hushing it all up like most countries do when their spies get caught, Israel instead decided to strut around like the guy was a loving national hero and deserved a medal. There were senior Israeli politicoes who were going and visiting the guy in prison, and for years Israel has been pissing and moaning about our continued imprisonment of a man who wasn't even a loving Israeli citizen when he was caught.

MrQwerty posted:

I wish I could throw a nuclear bitchfit every time something didn't go my way and get results like this

That's at least one heartening thing about the past couple decades, is that "gently caress Jonathon Pollard and gently caress your whining about our imprisonment of an American citizen convicted of spying on America" has generally been a pretty bipartisan position in Washington. Israel's been crying about his imprisonment for years and never got anywhere with either Democrats or Republicans. Guaranteed the only reason he's coming out now is to try to get the Israeli government to shut up about Iran, but I bet those ingrates won't last a week before going back to yelling about how we've totally destroyed their security by deciding we didn't want to just grind Iran into permanent poverty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

CommieGIR posted:

Nah, its spying on America when you are not only supposed to be a strong ally, but also on the receiving end of large amount of American tax payer money to begin with.

Pollard's handler was welcomed back to Israel as a hero, and given command of an Air Base until the US Congress threatened to cut funding to Israel, and he stepped down to defuse the situation.

It's not even just "caught spying on America", it's doing so and being so brazenly proud of it as to act like we're the assholes for daring to lock up one of our citizens for committing one of the most legitimately serious felonies on the books.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kim Jong Il posted:

I disagree in the case of insider trading. It should be legalized so Americans realize that Wall Street is gambling and stop placing misguided faith in it. If there are any penalties they should be civil.

I don't think you understand the concept of "faith" :v:

• Locked thread