Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

botany posted:

Deterrence is a lovely basis for imprisonment, not just because it doesn't work but also because it's unfair toward individuals to punish them not for what they have done but to make a statement. You're basically saying that Pollard deserves to remain locked up because freeing him would look politically inconvenient. That's not justice.

I don't get this notion that the knowledge of punishment doesn't deter inappropriate behavior.
Take workplace safety videos for instance. 'This is the right way to lockout/tag out. If you violate lockout/tag out procedures, this could happen to you' [violent death is shown]'
The vast majority of workers will see that consequence and it will indirectly punish dangerous behaviors related to violating lock out/tag out. Some workers just don't care and will habitually violate the poo poo out of safety policies but that doesn't mean the safety videos don't provide deterrent effect.

The criminal justice system has a lot of people who either (a) live such lovely lives outside of prison that prison couldn't be sufficiently aversive to punish behavior or (b) are literally mentally ill, impulsive, and will act without regards to non-immediate consequences. I suspect this results in statistics which show that the penal system is generally ineffective. I'm asked to rehabilitate people who are mentally ill and impulsive and a lot of that would be difficult to do without being able to point to examples of positive behavior/positive consequences versus examples of negative behaviors/negative consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
The justice system should entirely concern itself with determining the mass of various materials. This is literally what that statue is telling us to do.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
What are the possible terms of parole for Pollard? Can he be indefinitely banned from travel?

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
If an Israeli citizen sold the Israeli signal intelligence bible to Hamas, an extremely harsh punishment would be appropriate.

I don't think the death penalty is necessary but I definitely think 20 to 40 years in prison, travel bans, plus near guaranteed post-prison financial ruin is a pretty fitting punishment for selling state secrets.

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

But you will commit treason since you'll "only" end up in prison for 30 years? That's a bit more than I've been alive.

That's just one end of the reward/punishment spectrum and it ignores the perceived likelihood of that consequence happening. You could get away with selling secrets and live like a king in Israel. You could get caught, get a pretty light sentence, and move to Israel to live off a generous stipend. Worst case, you could get caught, spend decades in jail like Pollard, while your family prospers in Israel and you're treated by the Israeli right as a hero.

Selling state secrets is also the type of crime that has a potential to result in great harm to society. I see no downside to erring on the side of being extremely harsh with punishments because anything that even slightly reduces the chances of someone making this kind of decision has the potential for greatly reducing potential harm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012
I think life in prison without parole should be the maximum punishment for any crime.

• Locked thread