Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mandy Thompson posted:

My loyalty is first to God, then to justice, and to the "national interests" of the international proletariat.

Oh boy, this will be an interesting gimmick! I was going to say it's been done by far more interesting and intelligent posters but I'm not sure if we've seen christo-marxism outside of lf.

Mandy Thompson posted:

Justice isn't meant to serve national interests. Justice is blind. National interests aren't justice.

In reality-land that's exactly what it does.

Mandy Thompson posted:

As do any other common thieves, but we are willing to parole thieves.

Totally the same scale here, right? Where's the vomiting rolleyes when you need it.

CommieGIR posted:

A good point. We're comparing crimes of people who generally suffer from poverty or poor upbringing to a guy who was moderately financially stable and, during his espionage days, raking in large amounts of cash and gifts.

This too, they aren't comparable at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Mandy Thompson posted:

Then consider the wall street banks that are the wealthiest among us who completely collapsed the economy. We give them very short sentences or fines even if what they do is often as destructive as any spy.

quote:

Madoff's projected release date is November 14, 2139.[121][122]

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Obdicut posted:

What Madoff did wasn't related to the financial meltdown. He ran a Ponzi scheme.

Tomatoes tomatoes. There's other examples so whatever. It also was directly related to the meltdown as well, it wasn't some huge coincidence they blew up at the same time.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

quote:

On July 13, 2005, federal judge Barbara S. Jones, of the U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York in Manhattan, sentenced Ebbers to twenty-five years in a federal prison in Louisiana. Ebbers was allowed to remain free for another year while his appeal was being considered. His conviction was upheld in a federal circuit court on July 28, 2006.[26] On September 6, 2006, the presiding judge ordered him to report to jail[27] on September 26 to start serving his 25-year sentence. Ebbers reported to Oakdale Federal Correctional Institution in Oakdale, Louisiana on September 26, 2006, driving himself to the prison in his Mercedes.[28] He is serving his sentence as inmate #56022-054 [29] in the low-security portion of the complex, which typically houses non-violent offenders and is built more like a school dormitory. The earliest date he can be released is in July 2028, at which time he will be 87 years old.[30]

Like seriously there's no shortage of examples I can pull from, we give long sentences to execs all the loving time. The reason nothing happened with a lot of wall street execs have to do with specifics and lack of evidence.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Zanzibar Ham posted:

How do you define what's an 'exceptional degree of surety' (again, in general, not in Pollard's case)? How are you so sure a more rehabilitative system wouldn't have gotten Pollard to feel sorry? While I can accept keeping a person jailed until he shows that he's remorseful (which could be forever if he never rehabilitates depending on the severity of the crime), just killing them opens the gate to innocents getting wrongfully executed. And IIRC executing someone costs more than life in prison.

This is called a line drawing fallacy, there are most certainly cases where the actions are not in question at all (Colorado theater shooting). Financial cost is a terrible way to go about the argument in general, I'm not sure why it's such a popular one.

• Locked thread