Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
How many people who oppose Pollard being released are otherwise critics of the security state and the prison industrial complex? Pollard isn't a hero, but he was made an example of because he had a lovely lawyer and got horrible advice. It's the exact same thing as the USS Liberty. Critics of Israel obsess over a nothing case and turn a complete blind eye to say, the USS Stark.

We should dismantle the majority of American intelligence gathering operations, and any blow towards their continued operation is a net good for society. Furthermore, prison sentences should solely be constructive and rehabilitative; never punitive, as this case clearly was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

While I generally agree with you, I think that there's a certain subset of crime where prison sentences as a form of deterrent makes sense; namely, white collar crime of a nature where the person committing the crime is likely taking into account the risks when they do so. Stuff like insider trading or high level corruption in financial institutions should be dealt with very harshly in order to make such actions have a lower "expected return" for those individuals that might consider them. Not to mention the fact that serious white collar crime can cause far more harm than a random murderer.

I disagree in the case of insider trading. It should be legalized so Americans realize that Wall Street is gambling and stop placing misguided faith in it. If there are any penalties they should be civil.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He was a pretty bad dude and an unrepentant, pathological liar. IIRC the FBI interviewed hundreds of people from throughout his life and not a single one could recall him mentioning Israel, Judaism, etc. Also, the SIGINT stuff he sold wasn't just a bunch of random info, it was incredibly dangerous material. From the Kaplan's article...

I think you're remembering that wrong, because the Hersh piece says he went on a trip to Israel when he was younger and then bragged to everyone about how he was a secret Mossad agent.

Not that his motivations were the same as Snowden or Manning, but people made the same harming national security argument for them, and it's clear they did not. All three harmed the self-perpetuating national security industrial complex state, but didn't actually make Americans less safe in any way whatsoever.

• Locked thread