Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Current theories around mental health are that some of us are more predisposed to illness than others; an event that traumatically marks one person might just be a lovely night to someone else. A youth with a lot of markers for "at risk," (violent household, alcoholism in the house, poor performance in school, undiagnosed learning disorders, little or no access to healthy food) is probably more vulnerable to anxiety, addiction, depression and/or hoarding when life turns up the pressure. I know someone's grandmother who had a perfectly clean and neat house in impeccable order, but she'd have panic attacks in her sleep until her entire garden of edibles was planted and cared for: she grew up in a time when food was scarce.

Hoarding is a symptom of a complex mental disorder, involving brain chemicals being out of sync, and its inherent stigma means that few people are willing to ask for help even if they had anyone left in their lives to ask. You can fix the hoard, but it'll just seep back in after the therapist and cameras go home. The woman I hired refused to do jobs like that because she felt it was dangerous, and pointed to some research (which I can't find now) correlating an increase of suicidal ideation with abrupt de-hoarding. Without the items to set value on and cling to, hoarders are left with empty space and emotional pain that they'll do anything to quell. The reasons they started hoarding are all still there, except now they're sad for the things they've lost and have few skills to maintain it.

Sorry, I'm ruining all the fun. CAT GOO.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

this is you

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
I don't think a person with a bunch of running cars is a Hoarder... Maybe a "shade tree mechanic" or "redneck" or something?

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Just as long as they are running. an example of the aftermath of a car hoarder is here :http://tetanusburger.blogspot.com

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Captain Yossarian posted:

I don't think a person with a bunch of running cars is a Hoarder... Maybe a "shade tree mechanic" or "redneck" or something?

I'll accept both of those titles. :clint:

catfry posted:

Just as long as they are running. an example of the aftermath of a car hoarder is here :http://tetanusburger.blogspot.com

They're all running. They aren't necessarily when they arrived. I don't even coat the ground with their leaky fluids- they all get captured and reused or recycled.

He Saved What??
  • A fifteen-foot long rubber raft. I'm not even sure dad could swim.
  • Old electrical cords. Not extension cords, mind you, but scary frayed things cut off of old lamps or appliances.
  • The waxed paper from inside cereal boxes.
  • Rinsed-out paper cups from the free coffee from Building #19.

Uh.. I've never been that bad. I have saved some fairly useless NLA parts that work but are ugly and/or epoxied together. I had saved a few GOOD electrical cords from dead devices, but when I never used them for repairs, I threw them out. Derail over!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Sounds like my dad a little bit. For years, part of my grandpa's yard was filled with dead cars and associated junk. When I was little, we couldn't put any of the vehicles in the garage because it was filled with old car parts and other junk. We had a total of 4 cars for a family of three.

My dad also likes to collect clocks, broken toasters, old radios and record players. When I was a kid, every wall of the house was lined with either old radios or fish tanks.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Nessa posted:

We had a total of 4 cars for a family of three.

Yeah, so? :confused:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

TwoFire posted:

this is you

Sorry. I spilled sociology all over the thread. Let me get one of my 17 mops and one of the buckets that doesn't have dead cats in it to clean up. Hey, anyone still have running water? My sink is full of Kraft Dinner eaten out of Tupperware in 1998.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Pixelante posted:

Sorry. I spilled sociology all over the thread. Let me get one of my 17 mops and one of the buckets that doesn't have dead cats in it to clean up.

You raised a good point, actually. I've never seen anyone horde cleaning supplies.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

TwoFire posted:

You raised a good point, actually. I've never seen anyone horde cleaning supplies.

I imagine the camera crew rolling in on that, taking one look, and saying "NOPE, too sad for TLC," and leaving.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Pixelante posted:

I imagine the camera crew rolling in on that, taking one look, and saying "NOPE, too sad for TLC," and leaving.

Would a horde of cleaning supplies covered in dust and feces be too "meta" or what?

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

I told ralp that I think the thread's run it's course so I'm sure it'll be on its way soon enough but am happy to see u give it therapeutic value 2

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

social vegan posted:

I told ralp that I think the thread's run it's course so I'm sure it'll be on its way soon enough but am happy to see u give it therapeutic value 2

you can't just throw it away this is a perfectly usable thread!

naem
May 29, 2011

TwoFire posted:

you can't just throw it away this is a perfectly usable thread!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

But... it could be fixed.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
Sorry, the bathroom is full of this threads' posts right now but that is only temporary!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

TwoFire posted:

Sorry, the bathroom is full of this threads' posts right now but that is only temporary!

There's too many shitposts in my kitchen, so I have to keep my fridge out on the back porch. It's fine. I can still get to the toaster oven, and I wash the plate afterwards with the garden hose.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

TwoFire posted:

I watched an episode of Hoarders where the lady was actually a professional housekeeper by day. Her husband and son both had asthma and the house was absolutely infested with cockroaches.

I guess she just didn't like taking her work home with her.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I think all these posts have the potential to come in handy one day. For example:

Pixelante posted:

But... it could be fixed.

could be crocheted on a pillow. If we get rid of it, then where will we be?

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Nessa posted:

I guess she just didn't like taking her work home with her.

..or she did and it just never went away. :monocle:

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

cash crab posted:

I think all these posts have the potential to come in handy one day. For example:

could be crocheted on a pillow. If we get rid of it, then where will we be?

I mean, you'd have to find new posts or buy them and that's silly when you have perfectly good ones here for when you get around to it.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
"Ya know I thought about getting new posts, but" *sighs, gestures lazily about room*- "look, I have all of these already."

Looks down, kicks at filthy floor, unburying a Bernie Sanders post.

"These. These can be used. Sometime."

"Sometime."

Kicks again, unburying a 38 special 45.

"Oooh. Caught up in you! I can relate. I can relate."

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

social vegan posted:

why??? it's not like u own the thread, this is not tumblr.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

TwoFire posted:

"Ya know I thought about getting new posts, but" *sighs, gestures lazily about room*- "look, I have all of these already."

Looks down, kicks at filthy floor, unburying a Bernie Sanders post.

"These. These can be used. Sometime."

"Sometime."

Kicks again, unburying a 38 special 45.

"Oooh. Caught up in you! I can relate. I can relate."

You never know when those posts might come in handy. What if you have grandchildren someday? They'll need posts! It doesn't matter if there's an expiration date of 1997, the posts are still perfectly fine if they're unopened! A few bugs and mice poops never hurt anyone....

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Nessa posted:

You never know when those posts might come in handy. What if you have grandchildren someday? They'll need posts! It doesn't matter if there's an expiration date of 1997, the posts are still perfectly fine if they're unopened! A few bugs and mice poops never hurt anyone....

This is true. I will forever hold my SH/SC "Win2000 installation needs" to my heart, despite the fact most of them don't even work with SP4. Along with KernelEx for Win98 (SE2). Lord knows I'll need this again despite not using them in years!

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Nessa posted:

In my day, we recycled things. Rat poo poo builds your immune system. Plus, what's a few bugs. Cover your head in one of the many, many bags that litter decorate your home, and none of them will crawl into your ears. Plus, stylish. Craig said they'd never come in handy, but look who's laughing now? Miss Resourceful over here, I'll tell you.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
I went crazy on Amazon one day and personally depleted their stock of karaoke of Johnny Hates Jazz. Now when someone wants to sing along to "Shattered Dreams", they see me- or sing along to YouTube <:mad:>.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

No joke. Watched hoarding shows on YouTube yesterday, took my first dose of Ritalin today.

...help.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Pixelante posted:

No joke. Watched hoarding shows on YouTube yesterday, took my first dose of Ritalin today.

...help.

scrub my floor, bitch

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sounds awesome, don't forget to stay hydrated.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

You Are A Elf posted:

Thanks for making me look this up :dogbutton: God drat.

:nms:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsOR1-dqqE0:nms:

as a biologist a frozen pile of dead animals is normal to me but 1) it's actually frozen and not in the fridge and 2) you eventually taxidermy that poo poo instead of accumulating hundreds of dead cats nobody needs

also someone once told me how one of their freezers broke and it took people a while to notice, i'm happy i wasn't around for the cleanup

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
So the Expedition is doing really well- I let it sit three weeks w/ no use or charge after refilling the fluid in the battery and giving it a slow trickle charge for several days. Bitch started right up like a champ. AC blows cold as hell, too. :rock:

Hoping I don't need to gently caress with the xenons on the goddamn saab because that poo poo is 'spensive. :ohdear:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

TwoFire posted:

refilling the fluid in the battery

:confused:

why not just buy a new battery???

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

Otacon posted:

:confused:

why not just buy a new battery???

:ssh: Its just distilled water.

I paid about $0.25 to get it trustworthy instead of $125.

Doom Wad
Aug 8, 2004

COFFEECOFFEEmurderCOFFEE COFFEECOFFEECOFFEE

A little late to the game, 5d it. This picture must have been taken in Minnesota (or close proximity) as there is a case of Mich Golden Light. That beer mainly distributed in Minnesota. Also the pickle jar is a Gedney pickle jar which is known as "the Minnesota pickel"

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
My favorite hoarder evidence pictures are of military housing. Not just because I recognize the interiors, but because I know the fallout includes the military servicemember getting a foot embedded deep in their rear end.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy
If these were in a book, I would spend at least :10bux: on a full color coffee table conversation starter. If there was every an idea for a kickstarter campaign, this is it.

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp

ChrisHansen posted:

If these were in a book, I would spend at least :10bux: on a full color coffee table conversation starter. If there was every an idea for a kickstarter campaign, this is it.

hoarding pictures of hoarders on the coffee table

Call it "Three feet under the stack of magazines"

It'll be self-aware ironic.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I did some minor unhoarding in my parents' garage and now my car is parked in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Post your hoarded workstations

• Locked thread