Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I'm a 23-year-old college dropout in Texas making $72k/year. I have $17,300 in debt; I have a condo that isn't yet paid off (and also I live with my boyfriend but my condo needs a good deep cleaning before it's ready to get rented out). I'm putting $1000 per paycheck down to pay that off, which is almost exactly half my take-home pay. I used some calculator to figure out that minus the portion I'm putting towards my debt, I'm effectively living on $34k/year or so. I will be debt-free by mid April and then I guess I'll be making about 100% more money than is strictly necessary in this job that I do not especially like.

My bank account is still growing and I only hesitate before really extravagant purchases. How do I quit this software job I don't like and still make $34-40k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

it is posted:

I'm a 23-year-old college dropout in Texas making $72k/year. I have $17,300 in debt; I have a condo that isn't yet paid off (and also I live with my boyfriend but my condo needs a good deep cleaning before it's ready to get rented out). I'm putting $1000 per paycheck down to pay that off, which is almost exactly half my take-home pay. I used some calculator to figure out that minus the portion I'm putting towards my debt, I'm effectively living on $34k/year or so. I will be debt-free by mid April and then I guess I'll be making about 100% more money than is strictly necessary in this job that I do not especially like.

My bank account is still growing and I only hesitate before really extravagant purchases. How do I quit this software job I don't like and still make $34-40k?

Do you hate the work, or the job? If you like the work but not your job, you you may be able to consult doing software stuff, and after taxes/expenses/whatever make your target for significantly less hours.

Again, if you like the work, maybe you could find a government (local/state/federal) development job. I have one of those and in general it's a very low-stress job.

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
I'm pretty sure it's the work that I don't like; I normally have about a 3-month attention span for a new job before the novelty wears off and the drudgery sets in.

Short-term consulting isn't a bad idea; I'm not that great of a developer, though. On the other hand, I'd be able to have all kinds of time off while occasionally working, and I can have a plan where both parties know we're planning on parting ways in a few months.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

I worked part time from home for over a year an ended up hating it in the end. It seems glamorous but it's actually just frightening and boring. Gearing back up and taking on a new challenge did wonders for my bank account and self esteem.

It might be cyclical, but mid 20s started to seem really young to just subsist when I could be thriving in ways that will make the second season of my life much more fulfilling. I guess seeing how utterly relatable my parents still are in mid 50s made me realize that a comfortable middle age and retirement would possibly be even cooler than living life with a wildly youthful vigor in the present.

Also, as a developer you are absolutely in a position to set your own pay and hours if you put in the time and effort to become great. If that doesn't sound appealing I cant think of many more careers that offer the flexibility.

I've heard of temp agencies for coders. Have you looked into it? I cant imagine the starting pay being less than $20 hour for most gigs and it should give you the short term rotation and freedom to deny work you seek.

• Locked thread