Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Posting fro Win 10 version now!

Dumb little bug also present in the Windows Phone 8.1 version is the unread post count going into negative when returning to bookmarks.

Also the posting view has the same button icons for Post and Preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

nielsm posted:

Posting fro Win 10 version now!

Dumb little bug also present in the Windows Phone 8.1 version is the unread post count going into negative when returning to bookmarks.

Also the posting view has the same button icons for Post and Preview.

App crashed right after posting this.

Edit (from browser): And also after making this post.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Congrads, you are the lucky person who got the first crash (picked up by AppInsights)! :toot:

First, your device name is hosed up which is interesting. But I have no call stack nor anything else useful for figuring out what happened. But you are the first, so... :shrug:. I'm posting this from the app (using the store version) and it works fine. So I'm not sure if you just got hit by something by happenstance or what.

I have not seen flat out crashes yet unless I'm in gif heavy threads (And I'm working on fixing that).

For the other stuff you mentioned, I fixed the post/preview icon (There are no good icons for those, hence why I left them the same.) and now it should not go below 0 for the reply counts (I've known about it for a long time, I was just lazy about fixing it :v:)

I've only had two crashes, though, not four as your metrics say. Probably going to log one more now either way.

Is the device name supposed to be a hardware description? Mine is an Intel NUC with Celeron-brand CPU. Going to attempt installing an UEFI firmware update after this.

Edit: Oh hey no crash this time!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

To add or remove a bookmark, just hold down or right click on a thread in the thread list. It's an option.

However this doesn't solve the problem of following a link from thread A, which I'm already reading, directly to thread B which I want to bookmark. Since I can't bookmark the thread from inside the thread view, I'd have to browse back to the forums index (which is far away since I navigated to thread A from my bookmarks), locate thread B in the index, then bookmark it.

Personally, I almost never bookmark threads from a forums index, I only do it from the thread view since that's where I decide if I want to keep reading it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Starting up on the Bookmarks page works, but the list seems to be in thread ID order, and doesn't refresh automatically at start.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Spoiler tags. They aren't working.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

More problems, not sure if they are isolated to my system.

Entering the Bookmarks view is insanely slow. As in, takes half a minute or something where the entire UI is just frozen. No throbbers or grayed-out shown. In addition to happening when starting the app into Bookmarks view, and selecting it from the side menu, it also seems to happen when reloading the list.

The back button misbehaves with the Bookmarks view. If I start the app into Bookmarks, then chooses e.g. Settings, then About, then Bookmarks again,and enters a thread from Bookmarks, the Back button goes back to first About. If I then choose Bookmarks in the side menu again and enters another thread, then Back will take me further back, to Settings this time.
I'm not entirely sure about the order of action here, but that's what I remember doing.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

If bookmarks load slow, there is about an 80% chance it's Something Awful itself being slow when pulling it down. It should not screw up the UI (as in, you should be able to select something else and have that action cancel) but I can't reproduce that.

For the back button, that's working as expected. At least based on what you described. The back button works on page navigation. If you have the bookmarks list AND the thread next to each other, that's actually one page. So it's actually

Bookmarks/Thread > Settings > About > Bookmarks/Thread

Now, if you shrink the window down so you only see the thread, THAT is actually a seperate page, so it should go

Bookmarks > Settings > About > Bookmarks > Thread

And then if you click the back button, you'll go back to bookmarks, you'll go back through the page navigation. Back to the original bookmarks opening page. If you navigate to multiple threads, the back button won't go back through that list. Because it's not navigating through multiple pages, it's just changing what's on screen.

I should have been clearer.

As far as I can tell, it's not reaching for the network at all when I do this navigation to the Bookmarks page. It just freezes. After it unfreezes it's still showing an old bookmarks list, I have to press Reload after that to also get the new bookmarks. During that reload it also seems to freeze, instead of showing a throbber.

Also, when experiencing this I was using the app on a tablet in vertical 800x1280 resolution, so the Bookmarks/thread view was only ever showing one or the other, not showing them side by side as they do when reading on my HTPC running 1920x1080.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've suddenly lost the button bar on the right of the dual thread-list/posts view, meaning the buttons to go to next/previous page, posting replies, etc. are missing. The thread-list part is also unusually narrow. The missing button bar flashes visible for a short while if I reopen the bookmarks view from the left side menu, but disappears before I can tap anything.

Same problem on two different devices.
Screenshot

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The gang tags sometimes take a bit too much space...

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Eh, now I can't get the app to display just the list of bookmarked threads. It's either split view or only posts. Still on a tablet in vertical 800x1280 mode.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Having a toggle between split view and dedicated views for forum index/bookmarks and thread view is probably good, I could definitely see myself wanting to switch between them when using the app on my HTPC. But I can't see wanting to use split view ever on a small screen device (less than 10" or so?) in portrait orientation.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

I don't know what those other issues are. Showing only new posts works if you set "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color." in your settings.

About this, your WP8 app didn't require that setting. I'm (still) using WP8 on my phone and the old app, and it hides already-read posts perfectly. Why can't this one?

I believe the WP8 app uses the "Show an icon next to each post indicating if it has been seen or not" setting/button to detect if a post is new or not.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Opening a thread tells me to log in, even though I am and can see my bookmark list and everything.

Also, was I dreaming or was there a short-lived SH/SC sub-forum for goon software projects?

project.log still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Drastic Actions posted:

Sorry. Windows 10 only. :(

The beta for 8.1 is very old. I should pull it from the store so no one else downloads it by mistake.

It's very hard to maintain the app for older platforms. I can only build 8.1 apps in visual studio 2015, and while I still have a collection of phones to use on it, it's getting harder to get them provisioned for development.

I thought the 635 could run Windows 10. You could use the insider builds on the release preview branch to get a stable experience.

Please keep the old 8.1 version on the store. I'm still using it on my Lumia 735 that still hasn't received the Win 10 upgrade offer.

• Locked thread