Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Got the app and it's great! Right off the bat though I'd say this :

- It only displays the thread title if the app window it small enough to only display the thread and not the bookmarks. Seeing the word Bookmarks is unnecessary and unhelpful - can it simply state the current thread title at all times?
- I can't see a Bookmark Thread button anywhere? If it's there it isn't entirely obvious to me.

Otherwise it all seems pretty excellent and it scales beautifully. I'd love to see a Favourite Smileys feature added, but otherwise I'm good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've just had my first crash to desktop with the app, no idea why. Also, saving images via double click doesn't appear to work; it asks me if I want to save, then immediately says it failed after clicking okay. I haven't got W10 on mobile to test it there.

On a side note, I haven't been on the desktop site since I got Windows 10; this app is radical and I have no need for some scrub-tier 'website' anymore.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Done, and the answer is yes, with a but. All of my pictures are in OneDrive, so when I synced my OneDrive folders there were now two sets of Pictures folders in my user directory - I deleted the empty one (the original non-OneDrive one) and Windows then automatically set my Pictures directory to D:\OneDrive. Is it possible that deleting that spare folder has screwed things up? Is there anywhere I can check, other than looking under Properties for the Pictures folder in my user directory?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Refreshing bookmarks is pretty slow for me too, but I assumed it was because my internet is complete loving garbage.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Is the new app available on the Store for phones running the Windows 10 preview? The description is for the Windows 10 version, but the interface is still the 8.1 version, despite uninstalling and reinstalling. I also can't open the app from my home screen; it brings up an error message saying "This app couldn't install", but it opens just fine from the Store itself, bizarrely.

Sorry, this may all relate to the previous version of the app, but it's on Windows 10, so :shrug: I'm aware this could just be bugs in the preview build, so if that's the case then I'll have to be patient!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think it's Windows 10 rather than the app, but when I download the Awful app off the Store on the current 10512 build of W10 Mobile, it simply won't install - it seems to get to the end of the process, then gives the error code 0x80070002 and says it 'can't find the app'. Attempting to reinstall, it doesn't download the whole app again, so it's there somewhere, but it can't install. When I first upgraded to W10 Mobile it couldn't run the app unless I opened it through the Store, now on the current build I can't access it at all.

Any idea on the inner workings of W10 so I can fix it and use the app, or shall I just chalk it up to being a preview build? On desktop it seems to involve deleting temporary files, but how you do that on mobile I have no idea.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The bookmark list is sometimes getting 'caught' on my phone when attempting to scroll - as in it'll prevent me from scrolling up or down when I flick, with the list moving slightly in the direction I want then snapping back, just like when you try to scroll past the top or bottom of the list.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Latest update work great on 640, so thanks for that. Three requests, if possible:

- The top, side and bottom bars still show when fullscreening a video. Not a problem when vertical, but when holding the phone horizontal it means the video is sandwiched on all sides by the UI.
- Can we get a favorite smileys feature? I can never, ever find the ones I want, ever.
- My previous issue with not being able to scroll bookmarks properly still stands, and since you thought it was related to the pull to refresh feature, would it be possible to have the option to turn that off? I only really use the refresh button anyway.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Nov 20, 2015

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Also, what the hell is AdBot? Usually it isn't there at all, then once in a blue moon I'll open the app to find that every dozen or so posts is from AdBot consisting of nothing but photos of people's grandmas. It seems like it coincides with the app deciding it can't refresh my bookmarks list, necessitating a full reinstall, but that may have been a coincidence. It's happened about three times over the past few months.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Neat, I was wondering what the hell that was all about.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but if I get to a thread not through the home or bookmarks page (like if someone links to another thread), how do I then bookmark it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This is by far my most used app and you are an absolute saint.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Postin' from the new app. :woop: It runs like a greased whippet on my 640; avatars and smilies animate at full speed consistently, when they were previously kind of choppy. The layout is an improvement too, it just feels cleaner overall.

I can see why it's in beta still, some bits obviously aren't finished like the horizontal view not rendering right at all and threads needing a manual refresh to show new posts or edits, but whatever's under the hood is clearly a big step up.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 21, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

App continues to be great on both desktop and phone - the performance is lightning fast now and the layout is excellent, so I'm happy.

I'm having an issue with resuming on the 640 though, which I imagine is the fault of W10 and/or the lack of memory on the 640 rather than the app - half the time the app resumes just fine, taking me back to the page I was on, sometimes with a quick refresh of the page. The other half of the time, it sits there on a black screen for five seconds then takes me to the home page. It doesn't seem to be affected by how long I've been out of the app necessarily, as it will sometimes do this a few seconds after minimising to the W10 home/start menu and attempting to re-enter the app. I imagine this might be a limitation of the device, but has this come up for you in testing?

Edit: Also the thread labels aren't displaying properly all of a sudden. This thread has the Marxism tag for me!

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 31, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Apologies for the double post; my phone pretty much degraded into an unusable mess, but after a hard reset everything is running fine, including the Awful app, which resumes properly after being left untouched for hours, so that's all fine now.

One other issue though, I can't navigate back to the first page of a thread, either using the previous page button while on the second page or manually selecting the page I want to view; it just reloads the current page. The only way to do it is to mark the thread as unread, then navigate back into the thread from the bookmark list or main page.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Smoke posted:

Oddly enough I've got the exact same hardware(LTE though, dunno if that applies to you too) and build, and no issues whatsoever. I did come from the beta though, so maybe that's related, or I just got lucky. I also got the "What's new?" screen.

Exactly the same here - Lumia 640, fast ring, was running the Awful beta, no issues.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

powderific posted:

I feel like the app could use a better way to delineate threads that have new posts in the bookmark pane; same for opened but not bookmarked threads in the regular forum browser. Maybe a highlight color or something with font weight.

Also a highlight colour for when you're quoted in a post.

Only big issue I'm having is that the app isn't hiding previous posts, so threads always open at the top of the page. Confirmed on three separate devices, including a fresh install just now.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 13, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Drastic Actions posted:

Hiding previous posts is working for me, so maybe it's a forum setting you're missing. Make sure you have "Mark posts on pages I've already seen in a different color" turned on in the web forums settings.
That did it, although I'm not sure why considering that I've never had that setting turned on in the past!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Any chance of adding italics and url to the list of bbcode tags? It's a minor hassle to have to choose a different one then change it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I've just noticed that individual posts can be scrolled horizontally for when they break table width.

Awful app is best app.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know I bang on about smilies a lot, but would it be possible to divide them into separate groups that you select from a list, as scrolling through one list is both time consuming and kills performance. Also, they only display two across on the 640 with a large gap on the right hand side, large enough for another column but I assume that it is just, just cut off. Any chance of tweaking that?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ooh, got another request: image-heavy threads are killing the app dead on my 640 (or ones with an abundance of animated gifs, anyway), sometimes needing a reset of the phone because the app can't even load anymore. Would it be possible to make it so that animated gifs are activated manually? Maybe slap a play button on there so you know which are animated.

I don't know if that could be set per device, since it isn't an issue on desktop and I imagine not on phones with more RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I also had that bookmarks error, but it started a few days ago. Reinstalling also fixed it.

• Locked thread