Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
door and when u answer it

he/she be like "can I borrow your wi-fi? my steam game isnt finished dling and stuff"

and ur gonna be like

"all i got is a cup of sugar"

the future is really bleak :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Crowds waiting in lines for hours to get just a little 56K

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
When the bandwidth dried up, the work dried up with it.

ty bacalou!

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
leave a trail of sugar from the computer's modem to your neighbor's router, sugar is conductive to electricity and internet. leave a separate trail for ants, they'll respect you for it and leave your set up alone.

*thousands of ants looking at line of sugar spelling "for my friends the ants", thousands of small little nods before dinner*

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

fema crisis actor

"psst, hey! mac! c'mere, buddy!"

[opens trenchcoat lined with black market signal boosters]

ty bacalou!

joke_explainer

in the future your neighbor will come over and be like 'what are you up to' and you'll be like 'nothing... because the computers and robots do everything now, because its all automated, and they're way better doctors, drivers, basically everything but like 1% of jobs... but you already knew that... because you live in the future, with me' and then it will pan out the twilight zone... OR IS IT...

alnilam

player piano

ty manifisto

Scaly Haylie

in the future, steam games will be complex holograms made by precisely venting steam in complex patterns

Bwee

Commie NedFlanders

joke_explainer posted:

in the future your neighbor will come over and be like 'what are you up to' and you'll be like 'nothing... because the computers and robots do everything now, because its all automated, and they're way better doctors, drivers, basically everything but like 1% of jobs... but you already knew that... because you live in the future, with me' and then it will pan out the twilight zone... OR IS IT...

If robots do all the dagnab work in the future what happens the working class?

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

joke_explainer

alnilam posted:

player piano

yeah we'll have a creatives based economy lol

joke_explainer

Commie NedFlanders posted:

If robots do all the dagnab work in the future what happens the working class?

i don't know! its a big question. like a huge chunk of the jobs in the US are transportation jobs, and it's abundantly clear robots are going to replace them really quick. so even if that's as far as it goes, that's going to mean skyrocketing unemployment.

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

fema crisis actor posted:

"psst, hey! mac! c'mere, buddy!"

[opens trenchcoat lined with black market signal boosters]

cmon, give me the real good stuff

[scratches arm]

yeaa...

im talkin about

[looks around to make sure no one is watching]

exabyte

ill trade u this cup of sugar

joke_explainer

For a long time truck drivers are just going to have to sit in the cab while the computer does the driving to make sure its not doing anything stupid. that will be really important for 10-20 years, but eventually it will be even more the most boring job in the world.

Commie NedFlanders

joke_explainer posted:

i don't know! its a big question. like a huge chunk of the jobs in the US are transportation jobs, and it's abundantly clear robots are going to replace them really quick. so even if that's as far as it goes, that's going to mean skyrocketing unemployment.

Sounds tragic also a great investment opportunity

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

i feel the same way about this stuff but also kurt vonnegut wrote player piano in the 50s and it feels just as powerfully predictive today as it did in, well, the 50s, which makes me wonder if we're over-worrying?

like the book is pretty convincing and massive automation-based unemployment seemed unavoidable from the book's perspective in the 50s, but then here we are 60 years later and yes we have fewer labor jobs but the world didn't become a weird 90% unemployment world either, so maybe we're getting worried over nothing again? or maybe we're just that much closer to the world of Player Piano and it just took longer than the book implied... idk it's a really interesting question though

like i worry as much as the next guy, or probably more, that the world is heading for a calamity of unemployment based on these sorts of things (and other hosed up poo poo about our global economic system but that's a different discussion entirely) but i just wonder if people have been saying the same thing since the cotton gin was invented or what

ty manifisto

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
actually I saw on PBS Newshour today about automated retailers and the same concern came about with unemployment.

The investors are pretty adamant about how it would create jobs.

So like, instead of being Chuck the Truck Driver

you're

Chuck, Automated Truck Software Engineer.

or

Chuck, Automated Truck Maintainer.

We will service robots as robots service us, it will be a symbiotic relationship until that fateful day robots steal our wi-fi, nuke the US dollar, destroy the gold standard and we invent sugar based batering systems. :arghfist: :shepicide:

oh yea, also forge an alliance with the formica species.

Lastgirl fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 31, 2015

joke_explainer

It's different now. We're getting general purpose robotics that you can teach to do stuff just by explaining it to them and showing them. The price of that sort of thing is dropping, the performance is constantly getting better. We're all fine and dandy as long as it stays prohibitively expensive though, I guess we should hope it does forever (or human labor always stays cheaper at least).

I don't think so though Lastgirl. I mean general purpose robotics is like a genie out of the bottle scenario. Robots will be generally better at maintaining other robots and possibly even writing code (a lot of very high performance software methods are written by software software engineers wrote to figure out high performance software solutions).

Even if everyone did get a job up the automation ladder, there's a lot of people without the education to do that. What percentage of the truck driving industry do you think could move into writing software today?

Scaly Haylie

Lastgirl posted:

actually I saw on PBS Newshour today about automated retailers and the same concern came about with unemployment.

The investors are pretty adamant about how it would create jobs.

So like, instead of being Chuck the Truck Driver

you're

Chuck, Automated Truck Software Engineer.

or

Chuck, Automated Truck Maintainer.

We will service robots as robots service us, it will be a symbiotic relationship until that fateful day robots steal our wi-fi, nuke the US dollar, destroy the gold standard and we invent sugar based batering systems. :arghfist: :shepicide:

oh yea, also forge an alliance with the formica species.

will we even have candy?

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.

Qwerinty posted:

leave a trail of sugar from the computer's modem to your neighbor's router, sugar is conductive to electricity and internet. leave a separate trail for ants, they'll respect you for it and leave your set up alone.

*thousands of ants looking at line of sugar spelling "for my friends the ants", thousands of small little nods before dinner*

Dude, you are so thoughtful. :allears:

ChairmanMeow

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
People are always going to need their dicks sucked. In all kinds of ways. You going to trust a robot to tell you if you look fat or if you are the best manager?

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Thunder Moose posted:

Dude, you are so thoughtful. :allears:

i'm terrified. you could be asleep and they can carry you away to their tunnel system, then break you apart and reassemble you in the hole. appease the ants and they will be pleased, and people won't have to see a human shaped part in those melted aluminum tunnels

----------------

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
ant-based teleportation is extremely slow. are you truly the same person after being reassembled by ants, or just a copy? i think you're a copy

----------------

fema crisis actor

Qwerinty posted:

ant-based teleportation is extremely slow. are you truly the same person after being reassembled by ants, or just a copy? i think you're a copy

a copy that is suddenly forgetful of cleaning up crumbs in the kitchen

ty bacalou!

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Qwerinty posted:

my hypothesis?

ants reatomize you as a sugar copy

so eventually, you will have to fight your evil sugar doppelganger in your quest for truth and knowledge

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

my hypothesis?

ants reatomize you as a sugar copy

so eventually, you will have to fight your evil sugar doppelganger in your quest for truth and knowledge

life as a pillar of sugar is different, but i'm always happy. lot's wife is a real bitch tho, she's salty as hell

----------------

City of Glompton

Qwerinty posted:

life as a pillar of sugar is different, but i'm always happy. lot's wife is a real bitch tho, she's salty as hell

Thunder Moose

S.J.C.

Qwerinty posted:

i'm terrified. you could be asleep and they can carry you away to their tunnel system, then break you apart and reassemble you in the hole. appease the ants and they will be pleased, and people won't have to see a human shaped part in those melted aluminum tunnels

I had to look up what you meant by melted aluminum tunnels - I was not disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGJ2jMZ-gaI

Neato!

Commie NedFlanders

ChairmanMeow posted:

People are always going to need their dicks sucked. In all kinds of ways. You going to trust a robot to tell you if you look fat or if you are the best manager?

with eyes like these a robot could tell me anything it wanted

also, if robots can ever do this, we are done:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovation/robocup-building-team-robots-will-beat-world-cup-champions-180951713/?no-ist

quote:

By 2050, robotic experts at the annual world robotic's championship hope to create a team of robots that can best the winning World Cup team

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

railroad terror

choo choo

• Locked thread