Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ratpick posted:

There's an animated series in the works already for what it's worth.

Really!?
Awesome.

Also the creator is working with Adam Koebel on a pbta RQ game.

Get hype motherfuckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jimbozig posted:

Nope. Not going to judge it before it's published, but this seems more like a "wait and see" than a "get hype".

What's wrong with him?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fool_of_sound posted:

"DungeonWorld is mediocre", he said, throwing the grenade into the thread.

Meh.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fool_of_sound posted:

I addressed this in the post right above you, but 100% of that is in the GMs hands; trying to do anything interesting in DungeonWorld is a game of 'GM may I?, and thus the main 'mechanic' of DungeonWorld is convincing your GM to let you get away with as much as possible, because there are no satisfactory combat mechanics to fall back on. This is fine out of combat, where rolls are supposed to all have story impact, but in combat this quickly leads to GM fatigue when players are asking you to adjudicate multiple special actions every turn.

e: Basically, the narrative is there, but players have no direct control over it, other than suggesting things to the GM, and as such it isn't really a mechanic in the same sense as the narrative control granted to the players by FATE points.

Hahaha. Wow.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fool_of_sound posted:

Most of the PBTA games I've seen resolves 'I fight the thing' as a single die roll (or a short series of opposed rolls representing gaining and losing the upper hand), with the standard failure/partial/success roll with standard narrative impact. DW is trying to emulate D&D and similar, so it breaks off it's combat mechanics from the other systems, centralizes the game on them, and requires multiple rolls per fight (substantially more than the second version above) using damage/hp/special effects.

Serious question: have you ever actually played Dungeon World?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

fool_of_sound posted:

Spare me your patronizing fanboyism, thanks.

Nice condescension there, try not to cut yourself on your own edginess.

E: your argument is basically:

Simian_Prime posted:

I guess it just didn't go far *enough*?

DM: "Your party arrives in front of The Floating Caves of Danger, where the Three-Headed Amoeba King and his armies are hoarding treasure and threatening the Gnomish Isles! There is a barred crystal door sealing the entrance! What's your first move?!?"

Player: "Hmm... I don't really want to, y'know... "Interact with things"? Ill just make a "Complete the dungeon" move!" *rolls a 7*

DM: "Ok, Elfrick the Elf dies (sorry, Steve), but you go through the Caves and defeat the Amoeba King. Everyone gets 1,000 coin and a level. Well, that was fun... see you all next week?"

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 9, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Kai Tave posted:

It's not even relegated to Western RPGs. You get it in other places too like Shadowrun where the balkanization of the US results in a resurgent Confederate States of America for some reason.

Watching the news for the past few months, I think if the US government were to lose control for any appreciable amount of time, this would probably actually happen.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Captain Foo posted:

diagnosis: is a cat
closed: GETADOG

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

What are some good places to hunt for PbP games?

I keep the recruitment thread bookmarked and check whenever there's a new post.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654812

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Thats not weird at all you loving freak. The maid who worked on my home irl took my clothes off to bath all the time when I was a kid but the only one who porked her was dad which is why he got a divorce.

If true, explains so much.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Reene posted:

no please no
_________________________/

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

potatocubed posted:

Wasn't it last August that Sammy G dominated the chat thread?

Happy Anniversary!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
                                                                                          /

[/quote]

I love all of you bastards

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Splicer posted:

Now someone google dream it.

And with stange aeons even death may die.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

The Sex loving gangtag..

Skill focus: Plutonis

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Effectronica posted:

People can tell when you're fronting.

Effectronica-Senpai noticed me!!
:wink:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Notice "deez nuts".

Vote for Deez Nutz

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Ojetor posted:

Under the benevolent gaze of their Japanese overlords, Sega.

Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect...

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Countblanc posted:

What about them?

RPG videogames made by americans (and canadians)

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 21, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Those have some lovely rear end gameplay dude.

They're miles ahead of any final fantasy game tho.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Potsticker posted:

They aren't even as good RPGs as Doom RPG for old feature phones.

why?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Unlike modern Bethesda games even the shittiest Compile Heart pile doesnt require mods to be playable and even those have better story than Mass loving Effect.

which says a lot about final fantasy that it's so much worse than even that.

really makes u think

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

:frogout:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bunnielab posted:

I suspect that being a space racist is the only way to deal with alien contact. I think the general lesson of human history is that "colonize or get colonized" and I don't want no bug-man overlords. Same thing with Skyrim and those cat people, I just don't trust them not to bury turds all over the city and to not piss on my backpack given the chance.

You even have a conversation about this exact thing with a crew member in the first Mass Effect.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh, so by "ability scores" you mean stuff like D&D stats? Strenght, Dexterity and whatnot?

Yes.
Imo ability scores can be fine. As long as you don't also have skills. One or the other, but not both

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

dwarf74 posted:

I am also cool because I hate things other people like.

Edgy

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Potsticker posted:

I forget, is storygamer cool or an insult on SA? I'm not down with the lingo around here.

It depends. How ironically do you use the term 'Swine'?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Potsticker posted:

Unironically? But like I prefer to refer to them as pigs. Or piggies if they're small and cute.

I meant when you refer to people playing elfgames.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

My Lovely Horse posted:

Never take a Pawniard to a gunfight.

I like hunting and going range shooting as much as anyone else but gently caress it, gun control ain't gonna cut it. Ban all guns and melt them down into bike racks or something.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Andrast posted:

Too bad none of the games after Morrowind actually show any of that cool lore.

Blackreach in skyrim was pretty cool tbh.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

Yeah, the mechanics of Elder Scrolls are less important than getting down the setting and tone. It's such a weird, dense world with lots of interesting stuff to explore, you don't really need to worry too much about which game you'd run it in.

I may be doing something pbta in this direction. lol goon project.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Rand Brittain posted:

What is the best way to start learning inDesign, anyway?

And also the theory side of things?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
United States of Lions checking in.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Serf posted:

After we're done with the Gorilla Communes, the tigers are coming for you.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS THE LION KING AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, SIMBA. I DO EVERY MOVE AND I DO EVERY MOVE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME HYENA BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY HAVE A PROBLEM-FREE PHILOSOPHY. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JERKS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE LINES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNing. Then I Lift

Hakuna Matata motherfuckers.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Trollhawke posted:

I'm not sure where to ask these questions, but I was wondering:

• Is there a trad games IRC still running about?
  • Why is Monster Hearts so popular, especially in PBP on these forums?

Thanks in advance.

Yes
Lots of people like it.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Len posted:

do you know the channel?

Yes

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Parkreiner posted:

Because bad media makes for good gaming (tm Laws and/or Hite).

See also:
Fantasy
Superheroes
Sci-fi
Lovecraft

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

I am going to be honest here: my gut reaction was to jump to the defense of three out of four of those.

Nothing to defend. They all rule, they all make good gaming, and they all tend to be "bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
And sometimes you can acknowledge the flaws in something and also be a fan of that thing.

Which is all I meant saying stuff was bad.

• Locked thread