Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
As for Eberron in the 13th Age, this is what the creator had to say on it. It's not super useful.

As for that brief Ennie chat, the Ennies are a popularity contest. The big names are always going to stop the awards because the majority of the hobby never really goes past D&D and Pathfinder. They kind of are just a huge joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Who was the idiot that kept the rules about loving over your party members that makes sense on apoc world but not on a game where cooperation is actually important

That one can be defended. There is always going to be times we're one player does something the other doesn't want them to do. Not to mention the OD&D mentality of "gently caress you, got mine."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

I'm pretty sure the only people in that overlap are Sage and Adam themselves because I've don't think I've ever seen anyone playing Dungeon World as it's written, it's always Wizard High School Hyjinks, Sky-Pirate Adventures or Fantasy Running Man (not that there's anything wrong with those things).

Dungeon World gives the impression that it's going to be everything you always wanted DnD to be, but it actually delivers what old school DnD really was. Since that's what they set out to do, I can't say it's a bad game, just that it's not the game that a lot of people really want it to be.

I've seen it run straight before as I've tried it...for one session. It works out well if you do just a straight dungeon crawl in the old school style, but it does hit hiccups if you use custom playbooks. Not that I'm saying custom playbooks are bad, but they tend to be more for games other than straight Dungeon Crawls so the game changed tone after the first session to match player expectations. Ironically, they didn't like the new stuff as much, but I'd blame that more on myself.

Covok
May 27, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Who does everyone think should play The Sun in the upcoming Exalted Motion Picture? My ideas:

- A torch

- A big pile of burning leaves

- Aaron Eckhart. What's this guy been up to lately? Do you think he resents Jon Hamm? I feel like they do the same thing but Jon Hamm does it better. Also what happened to Ted from Better Off Ted?

- A flashlight

- Some matches

- A Lite-Brite

- The moon

The Exalted Motion Picture. Coming 2155.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I know this isn't really a pet thread anymore, but my parents just got a dog and, holy hell, does this guy scratch and nip. The kid is rather playful.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I've never played Seven Seas or even read it, but I heard it handles that niche. Whether it does it well, well, I can't say.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Night10194 posted:

It really doesn't. 7th Sea does not do a very good job at either the age of sail stuff or the high fantasy stuff, and the rules don't work especially well.

Welp, never claimed to be an expert.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Which one of the tiers gives you fell's five?

Covok
May 27, 2013

AlphaDog posted:

Pretty much this. I was a big fan of AD&D in the early 90s and while I wouldn't want to try to run it RAW I'd definitely play again. You could also pick up Hackmaster 4th edition, which runs nearly the same if you ignore the parody aspects. For all its compleexity, the non-hosed layout makes it somewhat easier to run than AD&D.

The thing with modern games that try to capture the vibe of AD&D is that they tend to focus on one or two aspects instead of being a big rambling collection of weird poo poo. I found that Torchbearer plays very differently but produces the same kind of stories that my AD&D games used to produce - where somewhat competent people go into a dungeon, get hurt, get lost, get trapped, get scared, eventually try to run away, and then some of them make it back tot he surface wtih loot and the whole thing's really tense.

I think a big reason for this is that most modern games try to have a clear focus nowadays. Even generic system. What I mean is that a lot of well-made modern games can have the author's intent summed up in a simple sentence and you can work back from that to see where the ideas came from. Likely, it's a backlash against the 90s and early 00s where the idea of rules as physics were a thing and now designers go for a "fruitful void" mentality where they don't have a rule for everything, but enough to cover what's important and have it push its intent and goal forward.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Helical Nightmares posted:

And they wonder why anime fans are socially shunned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcGZ2u4Q1c

"I want it to be known that this character is named after the protagonist in the first hentai I've ever seen."

"That's cute, in a creepy way."

:stare:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Unlike modern Bethesda games even the shittiest Compile Heart pile doesnt require mods to be playable and even those have better story than Mass loving Effect.

As someone who just started playing base Skyrim on a scenic run, I very much disagree. I always find it odd that Bethesda gamers have that "mod or die" mentality when the games themselves are pretty drat fun on their own. They have that great sense of discovery since you always trek upon someone or something you've never seen before just lying around to be discovered.

Also, Mass Effect 1 and 2 had a good story. 3 imploded, but the gameplay was pretty tight, like the previous titles, and that's what I really want the most from my games. Story in games are always bad when judged on the bigger scale of media, so gameplay is usually what I look at for deciding factors.

Japanese Roleplaying games are just fine, but, outside of Chrono Trigger, FFX, FFV, and Persona 3+4, they never really appealed to me. They either move way too slow, suffer from plots that are just not my cup of tea, had character archetypes I didn't like, or just felt too "grind-y." Still, that's all personal preference and not objective.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 22, 2015

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tulpa posted:

Mass Effect 2's premise is like some golden age sci fi

I'd argue it's more a modern take on sci fi, but I can see that. It does have some Star Trek elements.

quote:

by a KKK affiliate.

Wait, a minute, what? What? How do you even get that from that?

Skyrim is Oblivion with the same engine and slightly better graphics yet unlike Oblivion every place managed to look the same while Mass Effect had the extremely AIDS cover shooter gameplay, go play a real game like The Witcher, SMT, Etrian Odyssey or Tales.

As someone who played the poo poo out of Oblivion, Skyrim is a very different game while still being an Elder Scrolls game, I'd argue. From the big changes like removing weapon durability to the little changes like the removal of certain magic effects, the game feels very different and offers new playstyles. For a quick example, Oblivion's difficult lockpicking minigame made magic amazing because of the Unlock spell while, in Skyirm, lockpicking has more utility because of the removal of that spell and the minigame being much more managable.

Also, while not for everyone, cover shooters are a perfectly fine gameplay subgenre. The first one was rough in that regard, but the laters really got good cover shooter gameplay down.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tulpa posted:

Commander Shepard signs up with a racist paramilitary/terrorist organization run by a mysterious rich white dude that has been psuedo-retconned so that the disposable bad-guys you fought in a dozen cookie cutter missions from the first game are just an 'extremist faction' and not representative of the true values of the KKK Cerberus. Cerberus is the only organization with the clear vision to see the true threat alien outsiders pose to civilization and they have to work in secret because the government is too bureaucratic and myopic to face the truth.

ME2 is like Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream only without the metafictional satire about the fascistic nature of pulp narratives.

You realize that the entire game is trying to make it clear Cerebus is dangerous and not to be trusted and the Illusive Man is pulling a "Satan's greatest trick" on you by trying to make you trust them. Numerous characters remind Shepard not to trust him, entire characters are signs of how the Illusive man uses and abuses people, and, if you do exactly as Cerebus tells you, you will see signs of the harm you're doing to people constantly. That's why, after all, the Illusive Man is the last villian you defeat before you defeat the Reapers. In other words, he is as dangerous and as important of a villain as the reapers. Heck, even the actor who played him, told the players that he viewed him as "someone not to be trusted."

Like, it's ok not to like the game, but this interpretation ignores all the subtext of the game.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sadly, there's a lot of people out there who won't give a new game a shot unless it has the D&D feels. I've seen people ask stuff like "how do I make <game> more like D&D?" and part of me dies.

I get what you're saying on one hand, but, on another, people like what they like and there isn't one way to play. While a poo poo game is a poo poo game and I'm not excusing bad game design, if people like D&D and want to mod their games to be more like it and they have more fun as a result, it works for them like story and indie games work for us.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Random thought, but I'm surprised that the Elder Scrolls never made a cheap, cash-in TRPG. Seems right up their alley.

Covok
May 27, 2013

fool_of_sound posted:

There's a hilariously bad homebrew one based on a heavily hacked WHFR 2e.

That just sounds like putting a round peg in a square hole.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Honestly, I think trying to fit the mechanics is the wrong way to go, personally. It just never seems to turn out right since one is made with the assumption a computer is doing all the computations in secret while the other requires a human to do them in the moment.

Covok
May 27, 2013

It's not so much that I'm looking to play an Elder Scrolls TRPG as it is that I just am surprised an official one doesn't exist.

Also, I'm always envious at how good these fan project's layouts are. I really need to learn photoshop or something.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yeah, that. It would be nice to have more control on the process since handing it off to a layout guy, while is fine and has worked in the past, requires a lot of correspondence and leads to more than a few communication errors. Then again, I don't have experience with aesthetics in general, not just the program so it would also be a theory problem.

drrockso20 posted:

oddly enough the /tg/ projects that go beyond Pastebin or Google Docs tend to have really good formatting for the most part(Dungeons The Dragoning 7th Edition is surprisingly good looking for example, same with that Pokemon RPG they made, and that Evangelion one)

I've noticed and it always make me envious and a little confused. In regards to the later, I just mean that it's a lot of work to put into something you can't sell.

Covok
May 27, 2013

While I'm not a big fan of 4e and find the game just ok, I do think its AEDU system is probably one of the better resource management systems in TRPGs. When proper balanced around a set number of encounters, this system can really keep resources properly attributed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Ratpick posted:

I like 4e and the AEDU system is great, but I could do without the D.

Wait, I phrased that badly.

You remind me of my last boyfriend. Wait, that came out wrong.

No, wait, that was right.

To be serious, why do you not like the Daily aspect?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've always liked how 13th Age handled "daily" powers; you could only use them once per day, but after a battle you made a d20 roll and on an 16+ or something you got the power back. And you got to roll after every battle, not just the one you used the power in.

That was just for Recharge powers. There were straight Daily ones that you could only use once per four battles.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Well, I do remember Legends by Rule of Cool doing that. All their resources were meant to come back on a per encounter basis and every battle was supposed to be a big engagement. The problem with it, though, is that it takes some bad 3e-isms like monsters being built like PCs and their bestiary will never be finished (though the PHB is).

Strangest thing, for a 3e inspired game, fighters are better than casters.

Covok
May 27, 2013

What is the gooncensus on OVA 2nd Edition? The game that is trying to be a better BESM? From reading it over, it looked good, but I haven't played it yet.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Swagger Dagger posted:

I like how a lot of stuff has really extravagant names and then there's Snow Wizards. Just Snow Wizards.

It's hard to keep up that level of extravagant for every piece of the globe. Somewhere was going to get the simple name.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Siivola posted:

To everyone who recommended Fell's Five when it was up on Humble Bundle:

Thanks. This really is the best.

As someone who also picked it up because of the thread's recommendations, yeah, it is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Since it's September for me, I started the September Chat Thread.

• Locked thread