Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Helical Nightmares posted:

And they wonder why anime fans are socially shunned.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UUcGZ2u4Q1c

:shibe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I'd definitely recommend 4e or Strike if you want good, grid-based gameplay. Most other systems I've played have notable imbalances between classes or abstract combat heavily.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

bunnielab posted:

How people can hate on realtime-with-pause is beyond me. Turn based is so dull.

I am curious to see if I have matured at all in the last 25 years or if Eye of the Beholder will still make me fly into a frustrated rage.

Because realtime-with-pause is actually just "realtime-until-it's-hard-then-pause." If the issue with turn based combat is that fighting weak enemies is boring (the thing that realtime alleviates), get rid of the weak enemies.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Error 404 posted:

Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect...

What about them?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also Koreans made DFO and TERA so they can be welcomed into the good RPG makers group, as trial members pending approval.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Potsticker posted:

They're all bad.

:grin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dwarf74 posted:

I am also cool because I hate things other people like.

:shibe:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

United or Adventures dude because there IS a split you know. Also it's always been playable unless you are stupid enough to make a 6x6 pokemon fight that will take hours haha

Which is the good one

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I only played United recently so I'm gonna go with that one

Every download link I find for that sends me to the same mediafire page with a broken zip

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Trollhawke posted:

Why is Monster Hearts so popular, especially in PBP on these forums?

Because Young Adult literature is the pinnacle of the written word.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Yawgmoth posted:

Some people need to define themselves not by what they like or like to do, but how much better they are for hating something other people like. "You like a thing I have deemed 'bad' so I am better than you! :smug:" seems like a stupid way to live, but I guess if you don't have anything to like then you have to fall back on hate.

Or sometimes people don't like a thing.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Captain Walker posted:

So how about that tabletop game Strike! by Forums Poster Jimbozig? I think it's a really cool rule set and I can't wait for someone to run a super spy thing in the system while I wait for Phantom Pain.

I'm a big fan. I appreciate that the system is still improving with each release too, generally by making everything stronger (with the notable exception of the change to Minor Striker which was probably the closest thing there was to a feat tax in the game). The class/role character creation metagame is a lot more fun to "play" than mixing and matching from a laundry list of feats for me, and still offers enough complexity for an idiot like me.

My biggest beef with the system is just a product of its newness - Part of its design goal is to expedite combat by removing unnecessary rolls, egregious off-turn actions, etc., but most people I play with simply don't know the system yet so it doesn't actually end up going that much faster. But yeah that's comparing people 1-3 sessions into a completely new game (many of which weren't 4e players so they don't have that background either) versus a 4e group who has been playing the system for 2-7 years which is hardly fair. The times I've played Strike with people who've spent time with the book and understand the system have been lighting fast and a real treat.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Len posted:

I keep the recruitment thread bookmarked just in case a system I've wanted to try pops up but it's mostly monster heart games. I don't wanna be a teenage monster!

The whole recruitment system is weird to me in general. Unless everyone knows each other and I'm just not aware of it but like, I've found that focusing on novel character ideas instead of player synergy leads to a much less enjoyable game and has characters that end up functioning more as gimmicks than anything. Like if the way to get your character in a game is to make them stand out of course you're going to make their two paragraph introduction explosive (and maybe a bit pandering if you know the GM's tastes) and possibly make their mechanics something weird too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Brutal

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

That being said when I did Ivalicegame picks my priorities were actually A: People who were good players on my previous dead PTU game, B: People I'm friends with. C: You, Countblanc :twisted:.

Also I was reading the PTU document and there's no rules for being a Ranger that I saw, I was kinda surprised since it's actually combat-related unlike some stuff in there but still unique from normal trainer stuff. Or did I just miss it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Also back when it was a class, Ranger had different mechanics based on using a swirly thing to befriend Pokémon and stuff and turns out they didn't really fit that well with the party.

That makes sense. I appreciate that the book mentions that smaller party sizes are ideal for the game too, it's easy to forget that the 4-6 party dynamic isn't the only option sometimes. It seems like a pretty overwhelming system to just get started with though, and I say that as someone who has played pokemon, comp and casual, since the games came out. It's hard to look at a lot of the trainer things and say "yeah this sounds useful (or bad)". Still, it'd probably be neat to try.

• Locked thread