Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

so basically Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles then?

The Ghostlines setting is kind of like that, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Splicer posted:

The time of [Genre] Patrol is now!

I really liked running Danger Patrol, but had issues when the players were not comfortable with directing the narrative. Dungeon World helped in that the GM can take a lot more control when necessary to help prod things along mechanically. So while I'm not as excited at the prospect of playing Dungeon World any more, I still jump at the chance to run it, especially for players new to TRPGs or whose only experience is d20/pf.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Spiderfist Island posted:

Tenra Bansho Zero, maybe? I'm not too familiar with how it works in practice though.

Yeah, TB0 would be perfect.

The best rhing about TB0 isn't its setting, but how it breaks down scenes and the chits mechanic.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

$100 a session? poo poo, even I'd run D&D for that.

Even if it was pathfinder?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

_________________________/

This is the best picture. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The best D&D branded videogame was Treasure of Tarmin.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

False. Americans made Alpha Protocol.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Countblanc posted:

What about them?

They're all bad.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

2400 AD came from America and that was pretty good.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I admit having to look where it came from first, but Hired Guns came out of a little company out of Scotland called DMA Design.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

They're miles ahead of any final fantasy game tho.

They aren't even as good RPGs as Doom RPG for old feature phones.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Better map structure, better combat and better method of conveying the story to the player. Also included: Orcs & Elved I + II, or even Hexen.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Riven was made by Canadians, right? That's a better RPG than that list. Hell, even Zork: Grand Inquisitor was better. If you need stats then Beyond Zork is another far superior RPG and that's not even getting into Ultima IV, V, or Underworld.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

inklesspen posted:

Aside from "perfectly generic human" being the only role being played in Riven, the company is based in Spokane.

"perfectly generic MALE human" is how you're treated in most of the Elder Scrolls game and at least half the Fallout games, the other half losing the gender modifier. Cmnd. Shepard is also not far from a generic humam.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Arcanum has better interaction with the player's choice of race and gender.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Japanese RPG: Hydlide

American RPG: Hunt the Wumpus

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tulpa posted:

Arcanum's also the perfect argument against Real-time with Pause.

It's a game that includes both a real time and turn-based modes. The RTwP mode is one of the worst combat systems ever inflicted and the turn-based is merely bad.

Aside from the atrocious combat, Arcanum has better interaction because it had better writing than almost all RPGs ever made.

I should go back and play Arcanum again because the way I recall it was a lot like Fallout 2 in that eventually I would reach a part if the story (after I had beaten the game the first time) where I felt like all the fun interactive stuff was done and all that was left was the boring third act. As I recall it was the Dwarven Caves in Arcanum and everything after New Reno in Fallout 2.

At least that's how I recall Arcanum.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ojetor posted:

-a giant room full of ore elementals which would break your weapon if you hit them in melee

Oh, that was it. That's the point where I felt like it was just more fun to start another character or play a different game.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serf posted:

Mass Effect 2 was such a huge improvement over the first one in gameplay terms that it was almost unbelievable. It went from a wonky mess that you had to slog through to a smooth cover-shooter with a slick control scheme and smart, less intensive inventory management. Easily one of my favorite games ever. 3 improved on that in smaller ways, but the multiplayer (something I hadn't cared about) eventually sucked me in for over a hundred hours. You start out pinballing from enemy to enemy as a vanguard, then figure out how biotic/tech combos work and its off to the races. Next thing you know you're an invisible salarian with the biggest shotgun in the universe one-shotting bosses at point blank range.

Mass Effect was such a fun series, drat.

Mass Effect 2's story and plot progression was so bad that I never played 3.

Doubly so since I played Alpha Protocol first and couldn't play any other RPGs for a while without hating them after that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serf posted:

:shrug: Dunno what to tell you. I liked all the Mass Effect games pretty well, never had any problems with the story or anything. I remember I walked a couple miles to get that game in college and we all pretty much loved it. Good memories.

This goes back to all those good American RPGs I was posting, which even though there may have seemed to be some odd or wacky choices I was completely unironic about if you couldn't tell by me defending the "generic human" role you play in games like Riven or Zork: Grand Inquisitor. But the point is that if you were in college and enjoyed it, that's fine. Everyone has different experiences. Personally my experience with Mass Effect 2 is I had just come off playing Alpha Protocol and comparatively the conversation system in ME2 sucked. I also ran into little nitpicks that annoyed me like running out Jacob's dialogue (whom I had chosen for Shepherd to get romantic on) super early and then after each mission I would return to chat with him and there was just the same response every time. It really exposed the limitations of the system in how it was designed.

There's also the fact that the Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Mass Effect trio is all very well known and fairly recent games and to me shows a lack of actual insight into what games and RPGs in particular have been made in the forty-five-odd years that video games have existed. Arcanum and the three Ultima games were even on the edge of not even being mentioned because those are still fairly well known and often brought up when "good CRPGs" are brought up, but the point is there's a lot of good stuff out there and amazing experiences that can be had outside the very top of the surface of what's current and mainstream. Legend of Grimrock II probably should've made the cut too, now that I'm thinking about it.

You know, some of those games aren't super easy to get into. But who knows, maybe someone will google Treasure of Tarmin and be amazed at what type of gameplay was possible on the Intellivision, or decide to check out if 2400 AD was actually a video game and not just made up and see what the Origin crew came up with between Ultimas IV and V. Sadly the old feature phone iD RPG games are not really available for play anymore, but Orcs & Elves I + II came out for the Nintendo DS and that can be played on a 3DS if a person has one of those available. It's a lovely name for a game, but the games themselves are really well put together. Sadly I cannot recommend one over the other since II fixes some of the problems I had, but introduces new problems of its own.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serf posted:

Also Bioware games generally have enjoyable stories to go with the gameplay.

Which-- ones?

Wait, I take that back. I don't care which ones you enjoyed. Sorry.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If a big group of people like something, it means it's not lovely and beyond reproach!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I forget, is storygamer cool or an insult on SA? I'm not down with the lingo around here.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

It depends. How ironically do you use the term 'Swine'?

Unironically? But like I prefer to refer to them as pigs. Or piggies if they're small and cute.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Arcanum was made by the same people who did Vampire: Bloodlines, which is probably the only decent World of Darkness property. I rank it up there with Alpha Protocol. And if I recall correctly, after Troika shut down an awful lot of that crew went on to join Obsidian.

http://debofnight.andcuriouser.com

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

I meant when you refer to people playing elfgames.

Those are nerds.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gravy Train Robber posted:

You've just made my day so much better. I want to go back to the world of 2004

Glad to help!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:captainpop:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Baron Snow posted:

Oh god... What have I done?

ahahaha. Yesssss. I remember this. :allears:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Countblanc posted:

The whole recruitment system is weird to me in general. Unless everyone knows each other and I'm just not aware of it but like, I've found that focusing on novel character ideas instead of player synergy leads to a much less enjoyable game and has characters that end up functioning more as gimmicks than anything. Like if the way to get your character in a game is to make them stand out of course you're going to make their two paragraph introduction explosive (and maybe a bit pandering if you know the GM's tastes) and possibly make their mechanics something weird too.

I find it weird too for much the same reason. On the other hand I guess it's good writing practice and learning not to stress out so much about being a terrible writer.

Not that I'm getting any better at writing or stressing out any less.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Eh, I think it's better for people to pitch what they want even if it overlaps and let the GM decide who they want. One of the things that kills the inertia behind any game that looks like it's attracted a GM on RPGnet's PbP recruitment forum is people going in a circle about "well I want to be this archetype, oh I guess that means I'll be this one, but wait I wanted to be that one, well I have the following three concepts in descending order of priority, actually I think I'll go back and change my character, but I changed mine too, etc."

It's better, but it doesn't stop the feeling of wanting to app something that isn't taken until all the major classes/playbooks/what have you are taken.

And really, that's almost a fault of rpg design where players will ask themselves "Yeah, but why would we need TWO rogues" despite the characters maybe not being very similar at all in concept.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

Last one I played in ended when one of the PCs, who'd been shot in the stomach, crashed a burning delivery van full of religious pamphlets into the back of a car which had another PC tied up in the trunk. Then the cops showed up and everyone who wasn't dead ended up in prison. I'd tell you what happened to the money, but everyone double-crossed everyone else to the point where there actually never was any money, just various dummy cash-bags.

This is so very Fiasco it's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

I've never played Fiasco and not had it be "very Fiasco", meaning that it always ends up in a clusterfuck of poor planning, inevitable betrayal, gratuitious violence, hilarious incompetence, and plain bad luck.

The same for me, but I've read some play reports where it didn't sound like the players got the idea at all.

• Locked thread