Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

TheScott2K posted:

The animations are terrible, the voice acting is terrible, the city levels are all just giant hallways, the only part of the story that ever actually works is when you bust out of the prison and it turns out you're in UNATCO HQ, the "stealth" relies on enemies that are more retarded than the goombas in SMB and man-sized grates acting like transit systems in top-secret facilities, the only projectile weapon that is the least bit satisfying to use is the sniper rifle that is useless until you're halfway through the game and even then you're using it to zoom in on terribly-animated retards you could just as easily walk up to and karate chop, Unreal Engine 1, the main character has nothing resembling an arc, and the multiple endings are basically the same "press X for Ending 1" poo poo everyone bitched about in Human Revolution. All of that made a 7.5/10 game in 2000 and it hasn't gotten better since.

TheScott2K posted:

The Citizen Kane of games? Bioshock Infinite, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

precision posted:

uh i only paid $15 for Child of Light, wtf is this disinformation

There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to get it over with. We've checked with numerous experts and they all agree that there's absolutely no doubt. Your taint has been reaped. You might ask yourself what you did to deserve this, or if there was anything you could have done differently to prevent it and I want you to know it's not your fault. Taints are reaped every single day, no matter how aggressively you guarded yours it was only a matter of time before this happened.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

8 eyes. The only game my family ever returned when I was growing up.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Why would anyone watch all those stupid old movies with bad graphics from the 1970s just watch the avengers instead loving idiots

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

Daggerfall is more like trying to watch a silent movie from 1910.

That analogy might work if we were talking about one of the first games for the Intellivision or something, not so much for a massive and complicated game that's only 20 years old.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

It's a loving slog though, you have to play through the entire storyline and can't skip a single bit of it. It's worth playing if you're thoroughly sick of WoW but still want a WoW like experience.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Stux posted:

otoh the story, well it isnt a masterpiece or anything, but its enjoyable, and th emain series of quests is more fun than any other mmo has ever been.

The storyline is better but the actual quests aren't nearly as good as WoW's storyline quests unless you're only counting pre-Burning Crusade WoW. FF14's story also has the most ridiculous amount of fedex quests I've ever seen, and they didn't put a teleport near the single most important and most visited place in the entire game just to be assholes.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

FF14 also has a really good community unlike most MMOs. Everyone was really friendly and helpful and I never saw a single bit of rage, even when getting into some of the harder primals and failing repeatedly because a tank or healer couldn't get the encounter down.

Actually now that I'm thinking more about it FF14 is a really good game if you have the time for it. They found the sweet spot between the unforgiving bullshit of vanilla WoW and the meaningless theme park stroll of modern WoW.

Adam Bowen fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 24, 2015

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

If your facebook friends include people who post about gamergate then you should stop and reevaluate where your life is heading

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Anime is bad but anime music is good and nobody knows why

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Quest For Glory II posted:

I just want one big game designer to come to kickstarter and not do "I'm going to make more of the one game I'm known best for rather than come up with a loving original idea"

I can't even imagine how lovely every form of media would be if creators had the attitude that only "original ideas" are worth pursuing.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Probably as lovely as post-modern art I guess

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I made a game where the object is to never play it and if you try to it deletes your hard drive and emails dick pics to your grandma, it's about like our throwaway culture man

lol at the loving retards who learn the skills necessary to make video games that people enjoy instead of just coming up with an insanely original idea like I did

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

If Miyamoto only did Mario games we'd never have gotten Legend of Zelda, F-Zero, or Pikmin

But do you think every designer is Miyamoto? You don't just sit down and decide to make something original and then a new idea pops out, you learn as much as you can about your craft and you actually create things and then maybe one day you have a good idea and run with it and it turns out to actually work and that's awesome. Or it turns out to be stupid as poo poo and you try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Ideas aren't good or bad they're just ideas. If you have the skills to execute those ideas you should do em. Have you never seen a game jam?? A ludum dare? I'm not talking about strange fantastical stuff here, people doodle out ideas all the time, good or bad

Sure, but there's no shame in sticking to an established idea if it's what you're good at and if people still want more of it. If every novelist in history had just decided to quit after their first novel so they could do "something new" then the world would be a shittier place without some of the great works they created later on.

• Locked thread