Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I remember back in like 2002 pulling as a 60 rogue with throwing daggers. Sometimes I would outright ASSASSINATE the mob on pull (the lower level frogs, I dont remember their names).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes that's definitely true. All mobs have an agro radius and they also have a "call for help" radius, I'm not sure if its the same length. Their level versus your level has an effect on this too. So maybe slightly lower level mobs you're getting away with solo pulling but then higher level ones are calling for help? Not sure. Or maybe its just a matter of being sliiiightly too close together or slightly far enough apart?

Ideally you'd be using a Druid spell like Harmony, or a Chanter or Bard spell to do the same (can't remember the names) which calms the enemies and lowers their agro radius and call for help radius, that way you can pull one at a time. (not the same as mez spells which CC so you can kill one at a time after you agro)

Sneak lowers the agro radius and call for help radius too, but then if you pull the guy through another person's radius he'll call them anyways. So even if you make the radius smaller you still have to be careful because its not zero. You have to be real careful on the order you pull each mob in a room so they don't overlap each other. Since you can't see the radius its tricky.

What you can do as a monk also is pull the whole room, then feign death, and then wait until half of them have made it back but half of them haven't yet, and then you get up from feign death. The ones who haven't gone back shouldn't reset their agro yet and will come back after you but the ones who made it back will reset and shouldn't. It can be tricky to time and I'm no monk player so I don't loving know what I'm talking about but I know monks do that poo poo all the time.

Sorry I can't be more specific, somebody else can probably say the exact formulas or something.

I play a rogue, so take this with a grain of salt.

With sneak engaged you can avoid having mobs who have their backs to you engage. So pull best you can - then run out past aggro range of their return point and FD. upon getting up get sneak engaged asap as they start to walk away and tag the closest mob to you. The other mobs which all have their backs to you should not engage. Of course be weary, with sneak you are slow. If a mob hits you and disengages your sneak any mobs still within social aggro range may re-engage.

If you have a rogue with you he can help here quite a bit with sneak and a bow to get a single as they all begin to walk back.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Since Velious I seem to not be able to box a client on red and a client on blue at the same time. My windows keep freezing / crashing.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Would any goons on blue have experience kiting Renux from the rogue epic quest?

I still need to grab the book from hate (died trying awhile back due to being impatient and getting caught during a full spawn) but that should not be too hard - just a question of who still raids the old world planes these days?

And about those planes, I have yet to raid one of them. I feel like I am really missing out having joined the server so close to Velious. I wish Re-cycle server would come soon.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I just got an app. invite to Asgard in blue a little while ago. They seem very relaxed letting people join and leave raids as life permits. I am only a level 51 Rogue working on my epic (no plat to mq) so I am unfortunately not able to make many raids since I am so low.

Other day someone won HoT Chain pants for only 1dkp point. I feel like I am so behind.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
A raid guild may accept your 52 Wizard since they are generally a sought after but less played class.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
So i had posted in the old thread if anyone was able to help me getting up to plane of hate to nab the book for my rogue epic and I cant remember the name of the gentle goon who did. However, I died so i need to get up there again!

This time I wont venture in unless its somewhat clear / being raided. My in game name is Marchand or Tibmit on blue if anyone is brave / willing to lend a hand. Naturally ill provide stone & tip.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

a real jerk posted:

I have a wizard and play quite a bit. Post here tomorrow when you're playing

Im online tonight until about midnight est. I'll be on again tomorrow afternoon most likely.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Dirt posted:

Sooo I spent a couple hours killing Seafury's in OOT today.

:psyduck:

I get it now. The hype is real.

How long did it take before you could get this camp? I imagine its a camp and not first to engage?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Thanks everyone who replied about getting my rogue butt to hate. Since I died on the last attempt to nab the book solo and saw a decent number of mobs who saw through my hide I decided that I felt too squeamish to try again.

I am now camped in the southern corner most raids camp to break the zone. I occasionally hit a /who all hateplane macro but I guess since velious is out theres not much reason to raid hate anymore?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

aparmenideanmonad posted:

1 is for scrubs who want to waste precious hotbar space. ~ is where it's at.

I tie mine to all my movement keys.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

retpocileh posted:

I keep seeing mentions of a Recycle server, but despite all my googling I can't find anything official on it. Before I get my hopes up too high, what exactly has actually been said/promised by P99 staff?

Sirken - some lead gm dude - mentioned it off-the-cuff on a twitch cast and it generated more excitement than I believe they anticipated.

It'll probably be a few years down the road sadly.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
If Empire gets transferred to blue does this mean Red 99 will have like 50 people on at prime time hours?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
What happens if you get aggro on something you would not normal have due to an illusion if you click it off? Does the mob stay aggro until you zone?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
The character graphics in eq2 remind me of luck in models. That's most likely why I never gave it a chance...

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
My lower level char is in college of adventure. Always many sub fifties and groups going on. Pretty good for a levelling guild despite the name.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Dirt posted:

i joined "anonymous".

I don't recommend them.

My 51 rogue is in Asgard. If you want a raiding guild that tracks dkp they are good. Certainly more geared towards 60 than low 50s though. Haven't been able to join them lately since I am camped in plane of hate for my epic waiting for a window when spawns are low.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

xZAOx posted:

Eh, they run it true to the spirit of Verant/SoE! If it's a QOL improvement, stick to the timeline to the last possible moment before implementing (or even later). If it's a QOL detriment, or an item nerf, do it ahead of schedule.

Them running the server in a way that shows how much they hate their playerbase is the most classic thing there is!

Only thing missing would be for a dev to post on the forms about how such and such does not align with "THE VISION".

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Anyone got experience leveling a wizard? Just hit 27 and feeling the exp wall start to creep in. Is it worth the effort?

Wizards will always have a tough time grouping for experience. If you don't have regular buddies you group with and prefer to not solo all time then it is probably not for you. That being said, there is always demand for wizards in raiding - just not group exp grinding.

But getting those few levels to port for 'donations' may be worth trying out just the same as mentioned above.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I wish the epic changes were in earlier.

I started a rogue as my first char and it has been really irritating trying to compete with rage bringer rogues.

In related news, I snuck through a fully spawned hate and nabbed my book of souls.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone on blue have experience whacking down Renux for the rogue epic? It's been so many years - is just having a kiter & myself enough to do it?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Haukadalur Geezer posted:

Yes if the kiter can hold aggro you can just beat her down with the rogue & snares & dots. Also I want to tag along and help you for the sword drop, which is one of the better off-hand aggro proc weapons in the game outside of poopsock raiding.

Sure the more the merrier. My ign is Marchand (rogue) but I have been playing my necro a lot lately (Tibmit)

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Anyone on that can kite renux? ign Marchand blue

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Problem with the goon guild is kind of the same issue any 'leveling' guild faces. Once characters approach the last ten levels there is a tendency for them to peel off and join some pubbie raid type guild.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Having started out fresh those CB belts helped me a lot to get running.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Woah, who are the names of the victors whom Norrath is forever reminded of?

Sir Elfslord the Neckbeard

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Last night I completed my epic!

Although it is the rogue epic this was my first character I created on p99 a few months ago so 30k is still an awful lot of money for me so purchasing it out-right was never an option. It feels good to both have it (and not be disrespected for being a 51 rogue without an epic) and to have done it the classic way (solo fully-spawned hate sneak and all)!

Now off to earn XP.

I got a Sebilis key earlier this week with a group of friends. At what level could I reasonably get groups there? I have particularly fond memories of wasting my teenage summer days grinding in Sebilis.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I am sad to hear Sebilis isn't really the place to be. I remember on live during this time on Xegony there were usually a few pickup groups there around the clock.

I would prefer camping in a single zone for an extended period of time to minimize running around.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Ashenden posted:

Does a charge of the charm item cost less on blue? Or do people just farm the faction for it.

For blue I have seen Zanderlocke selling OT charges on forums for 2k a hammer.He seems to have been around awhile and I am thinking of buying from him.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
my biggest problem playing on red is out leveling gear / spells.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
So, is - This - what EQ looked like at one point? :wtc:

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Any recommendation for a 54 rogue on where to go? I think KC is going to be ridiculous.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
I was 98% into 53 when double xp hit on friday.

From Friday night to Sunday night I got from there to 14% into 55.

How does 55 compare to 54? I know 54 is often complained about but to me it did not seem much different than 55. Granted, the double xp weekend and the over crowdedness makes it difficult for me to judge at the moment.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
This had been posted on the p1999 forums and quickly deleted from redguides.com:

quote:

We are 99% certain that the P99 staff are lying to players about their RMT detection methods. Last month, it was "Your seller is ratting you out!" as seen here:
http://www.redguides.com/forums/show...l=1#post245278

This month the GM's are claiming, "we have a moderator on redguides who can see your ip!!"

After extensive research, I can see why they'd want to create new lies each month.

Only two people on Redguides are given access to your IP information. Maskoi and myself. Neither of us play on P99, but we appreciate the community you guys have built here and are going to support you 100%. Also, moderators cannot see IP's, and beyond that, the bazaar has no moderators! Hard for "moderators to see ur ip!!!!!!" when they don't exist.

But because I'm a paranoid nutter and I respect the talent behind P99, I made everyone take their accusation seriously. Even though moderators don't have access to IP information, we immediately worried that our server was compromised, so we scoured our logs for any signs of IP access and found nothing. We double checked for server exploits, shells, rootkits, etc. and found nothing. I personally spent two days going over a 3GB mysql log BY HAND for any signs of anomolies. There has been no outside access.

Here's what we've discovered from reverse engineering: P99's dsetup.dll actively scans your PC. For exactly what, we can't say, but we have cracked a couple mysteries:

1) It includes some NSA-level intrusive scans on your PC.
2) P99 GM's have full access to every window title and URL you have open.

I've updated our safety thread in accordance with these discoveries. Please log off p99 before visiting Redguides, or use a different PC or your phone.

We barely cover costs from giving P99 players a home here, but you guys have done a great job building a community and we want to protect your hard work from these psychos. If there's anything we can do to make you safer from scammers, GM's and other scum, please let us know.

Never heard of them before so I take it with a grain (bucket) of salt but Greengrocer is also cross linking it in Reddit (I know hes very butt hurt atm).

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
So how many active goons might be in the guild?

I presently only play on blue but often consider red.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
If I didnt have buddies who played on blue i'd probably give red a more serious try. The other reason I played more on blue is p1999 has been a nostalgia trip and blue seems more in line with the classic experience for me than red (despite non-classic game play elements, such as chardok proxies and swarm kiting).

I must say though, I am tempted to give red a more serious shot and have been wanting to recreate my magician.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009

Tashan Dorrsett posted:

man the GM's are sure taking their sweet time to fix Anime.. :(

didn't hear from anyone except minamata about the PL, and we were already level 10 by the time i heard from you, but there will be a ROUND 2 once we get the first set of chars to level 25ish. from that point on we'll be bard swarming to 50-60 ish (keep in mind, new bard with no swarm experience so it may be slow at first)

PL's will take place randomly, before or after TMO raids, so for US timezones that means in the mornings or nights. Feel free to send me your phone number if you want to get a text when it's happening, otherwise it's up to you to be in the right place at the right time..

if anyone has a character who ISN'T level 1 who wants in, i can always shoot you a text when we get up to your character's level range!!

starter plat is also available for new red players, as long as I have some. if there's any red goons struggling to get spells as they level, i can help out with that. i'm pretty decently poor until i can sell a few big ticket items, but hey a couple hundred plat will do a lot more for you than me.

by the way, QQui is amazing.

I've been considering red more and more lately. I've tried it on two characters, a troll shaman and a high elf magician. I always lack basic funds to buy spells however. At level nine my magician could only buy his level 8 fire pet and a level 4 nuke, heh.

Is that screenshot your in-game name?

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Man, I cant get enough Greengrocer / Braknar / Redwjamz drama.

Just amazing stuff, really.

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Word on the street is its double xp for the next few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramulack
Oct 12, 2009
Greengrocer is still mad and still looking for attention.