Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

moolchaba posted:

Still soloing. Double backstab is a com'n.

Go Sqid go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

faulteroy posted:

I don't think they do much testing, if at all.. there's no public test server since Velious beta went down. A lot of bugs have involved skills/spells not working properly in one zone, but working fine in others. Seems like they basically just fire up a single zone in a test instance, play with stuff for a few minutes, and call it done.

Haynar made some pathing updates in 2015 that introduced warping bugs to a bunch of different zones, none of which have been fixed.

At this point, I'm pretty sure Blue is the test server for Green. Stuff can break substantially and the staff doesn't seem to be in a hurry to fix it. :downsgun:

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Bererez - got your gilded cloth on the cheap.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dirt posted:

I know Welt did Felwithe guards from like 50-something to like 58. Thats a big necro camp. Good cash.
Exp really slows down around 54-55, but yeah, good cash. Depending on your bag/weight limits you'll have to cash out every 20-40 kills.

moolchaba posted:

There was a thread about soloing a rogue to 60 and pretty much everyone said "can't be done." Hahahahahahaahahahahahaha. I'm retarded enough to prove them wrong.
This may be of use to you: ShowEQ mob info for vanilla and Kunark

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Siets posted:

I more just posted that info to help him legitimately play P99 with his friends over LAN and hopefully avoid most of the stress and hassle that comes from the GM policing.

At the end of the day, even if you are not actually boxing you could still end up losing everything in the blink of an eye because of a GM's judgment call. I completely respect the double-edged sword and gray area that policing boxing is. For P99 to be what it is, it's necessary. That said, it is terrifying when a GM actually does show up and says "you are about to have your entire account permanently deleted unless you and your friends can perfectly dance in unison for me."

Don't duo. Don't even group! Solo is where it's at because no one can claim you're boxing.

Orange Red Bull posted:

I watched this necro boxing in misty thicket he was killing the wall guards. He would pull and kill till his mana was low then a bard with a name almost exactly like his would log in and play mana song :laugh:

The P99 boxing detection works on your machine name and hardware ID, virtual machines and a VPN can get around that but nothing will save you when Braknar shows up and wants your two toons to run figure eights at the same time.

Unless you're this rear end in a top hat.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

HoboTech posted:

Edit: Also, when distributing bonus points for stats, most places seem to recommend dumping 25 points into one major stat and the last 5 into a different one - but why not split the numbers? Would 15 in Int and 15 in Cha, in the Enchanter's case, gimp the character?

It depends on your class/race and how meta you want to get. Most of the recommendations you see are based on end game gear optimization, though it does trickle down into regular gear as well. In the case of enchanters 25cha/5xxx is usually recommended because int gear is more common than cha gear. Several enchanter spells use charisma for checks so it's important to buff it up toward 200 as quickly as possible. However, for the average person 15int/15cha isn't a bad distribution and won't break a character; I'd still recommend 25cha/5int though.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

FranktheBank posted:

I've thought about it, but I view fear kiting as work, I have never done it though.
Fear kiting does require a little more room and attention than root rotting, but it's actually really easy. Approach fear kiting as if it were a slow-moving stunlock, because that's what it is. Undead charming is yet another option, but more involved than the other two.

The necro toolkit (of spells and gear) gives a ton of utility for both solo and group play. Raid options are somewhat diminished, but don't let that deter you. It's one of the most versatile classes you can pick.

Other solo classes with innate racial hide for AFK purposes include: wood elf druid, halfling druid, dark elf wizard, dark elf enchanter, and dark elf mage. Not really an option for shamans, but they're (expensive) powerhouses in their own right.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

shirunei posted:

You inspired me!

I completely burnt out on p1999 as a result of the many, many cycles of Puppets that robe took. worth.

Looking great, as an enchanter should. I'm inspired but quite a ways off (if you consider 52 a ways off).

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dirt posted:

I'm quitting for awhile.
drat. Well, enjoy your vacation!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Mages don't need much equipment to function. Contact me in game and I'll get you hooked up with a +5 int spyglass that also refreshes your spell gems instantly. Be a naked mage (with a torch and spyglass).

Also,

Anarch fucked around with this message at 01:01 on May 31, 2017

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Orty posted:

Mostly just looking for a class I can casually solo/group up to where I can boost up a few other classes id want to play. (Monk/Bard/Shaman/Maybe Enchanter)
Druid or necro would be ideal for that purpose. Personally I went necro and have geared up a rogue and enchanter on the side. Mage lets you cut some corners initially but doesn't have as many options later.

Summit posted:

How does Necro soloing usually work? Any ability to do it in dungeons?
As Dirt said, necros have a staggering number of options. Fear kiting, root rot, charm tank, and pet tank are all valid and depend on the circumstances. For breaking you can split with snare, root, mez, pet, or charm, and adding feign death you can split multiple mobs this way. The necro toolkit of spells (DOTs, snares, life taps, mana regen, mana twitch, HOTs, feign death, roots, mez, rez, pets, undead charm, skeleton faction mods... did I get everything?) and equipment (Circlet of Shadow, Staff of Dreaded Gaze and other things) allow you to operate completely independent of groups and drift through dungeons unhindered.
*edit* They also work well in duos.

The downside is that necros are typically misunderstood in groups. DOTs usually don't have time to bloom in a group and can interfere with CC, so you usually are relegated to pet/support and occasional pulling. Lazy or ignorant necros generally ignore the support portion and just send in their pet, which sours people on necros in groups.

On raids, you twitch other casters who have more important raid spells and occasionally feign/rez on wipes.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 31, 2017

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
There's currently an easy exp/coin quest for twinks or newbs, up until about level 30. The quest involves handing 2g to Jarlen Meadowgreen at the centaur camp in SK, then running a bag to Innkeep James at the inn northwest(?) of the guard tower in NK. It gives serious exp and 1-3p per turn-in. Here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7k3R3EF8Y that shows you what to do. It's classic but is only available for a limited time while the Karanas are infected.

GET YOUR FREE LEVELS GOONS!

Anarch fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jun 16, 2017

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Elephunk posted:

Logged in for the first time since before Velious release, 60 enchanter with 200+ INT/CHA buffed.

Not really sure what to do, I know I wanna see PoM. Also <Unknown Guild> is pretty dead, eh?

Do I need to grind CoV faction to safely get inside NToV? I know I can buy a CotH to entrance but not sure if I need to do faction work first.

Also... what else is there to do? I've never seen Velks.

I can't believe they disabled spell loadouts... they were allowed last time I played :(

I have a bunch of Kunark spells and a Donal's Helm in bank if anyone needs/wants stuff.

Yeah you can bounce all over POM, SG, Velks, WL, SS, Kael.. there are tons of options for enchanters in SOV.

Zoning into TOV doesn't require dragon faction but makes it easier. You'll still need a COTH to POM once you're inside.

<UG> is largely dead with the occasional person, but goons are otherwise all over. You'll find them everywhere from Kittens to Awakened.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

FungiCap posted:

Can someone explain a DOT mechanic to me (tried looking on the wiki).

Basically I'm a bard and when I use my single target DOT songs they seem to do twice as much damage when I'm standing still (or is it being in melee range?).

I'm assuming this is intentional to keep back single target kiting - but I couldn't find anything documenting it.

I'm Jepok in game by the way - 42 Bard.

Dots are only fully effective when a mob is either standing still (including root) or feared (including death walk).

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Someone's been quite busy...

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Sankis posted:

What gear should I get? I'm still mostly newbie gear aside from chest, helm and hands.

Jboots and then whatever mage focus items you can complete with the left over cash. Movement speed and pet buffs will help you more than any minor stat upgrades.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm in the minority opinion that MQ JBoots are overrated. Buying 10 dose SoW potions for 100pp or less will get you about 300-350 hours of movement speed until you start losing money to a JBoots alternative.

Or, for 5k and change, buy Traveler's Boot which is the same thing but with a 1.5s click timer. It'd be a shame to only get one upgrade out of that 7k

http://wiki.project1999.com/Traveler%27s_Boots
True about the SoW pots but Traveler's Boots are an unnecessary money-sink because you can get Jboots for 5-6k due to competition. Jboots also double as an instant spell refresher and junk buff, which is why they're eventually a better choice than SoW pots and Tboots.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

cmdrk posted:

I've thought about joining as well, but I just can't bring myself to abandoning Unknown Guild!
No one will fault you for moving on to leveling/raid guilds that will actually benefit you. Goon solidarity and all that, but goons are spread across other guilds and Unknown Guild is only holding you back. This is spoken from experience and others will tell you the same.

Herv posted:

Kittens seems like a really fun guild to be in. Should be a blast!
Kittens is one of the better leveling guilds on the server that also raids low end content (epic fights, planes, Kael, TOV). They aren't DKP based and have fairly reasonable raid requirements, so you can jump right in and have fun without the pressures of a poopsock guild.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 14, 2017

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Summit posted:

I got an invite to the Auld Lang Something guild, who play the game untwinked and don't use the EC market, but they kicked me out. Apparently they have a policy that you have to join the guild before level 10 and the officer who invited me did not follow that rule. Not even sure why that's a rule, as long as your character is 100% legit I don't see why it matters. Doubly dumb because I inquired for an invite when I was pre-10 but the officer didn't have time to come invite me and then I didn't find another one til just now. Guess I'll have to join one of the other newb guilds or maybe I'll appeal the decision.
That's dumb. The answer is to join Kittens when you hit 15.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

FungiCap posted:

Drop transfer everything. Live dangerously.

Just let us know when and where first.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dirt posted:

edit: ps I don't play anymore. I still have some expensive poo poo to give away. Caiu get's my stolen Bladestopper.

You're officially out? Take care and enjoy the real world dude!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Malaria posted:

Some guy named Jody from Unknown Guild asked me if I had stairs in my house, and then gave me 500k plat. I just asked for a guild invite but he just gave me money and logged off haha. Who do I /tell for an invite? Who the gently caress is that guy? Thanks dude.

I just started as a human SK

edit; Just bought a fungi

He's a legend.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Kittens and Paradigm Shift killed Vulak. News at 11!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Dick Burglar posted:

So is Unknown Guild still active at all or should I just join a pubbie guild?

I have an officer in EC for an UG invite if you want, but goons are largely scattered across different guilds. Personally I currently run with Kittens, which is a hybrid leveling/raiding guild.

If I catch you online I'll drop you a weapon, HP rings, and some plat.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 25, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Caster melee works for low levels but unless you're rocking a tola robe, high strength, and a velium brawl stick or Rod of Annihilation past 20 you're better off medding.

Dick Burglar posted:

Also, I am a jerk and forgot the name of the nice delf wizard from Kittens who helped me out yesterday. Something like Thelema?

You're welcome!

Blast of Confetti posted:

Just got to group stuff and the game is pretty fun now. Feels like EvE where I start combat and things sort of play out after that

Is it a faux pas to sit during combat? I run out of mana pretty fast during heal intensive fights and sitting to regen mana seems more useful to the group than waggling my hammer at the mob
Stand on incoming pull, sit when mobs are tanked/CC'd to avoid proximity aggro.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jan 29, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Tradeskills can be a major money sink.

Tradeskills are definitely major money and time sinks, especially the ones that provide better gear (smithing, jewelcraft, tailoring, fletching) or effects (alchemy, tinkering, poison making). Many of the higher trivial recipes require rare or difficult drops, or expensive merchant stuff.

Also if you do decide to go into any tradeskill, it's highly recommended that you boost your INT or WIS for skilling up, as well as your CHA for keeping merchant prices low. I'm not sure if secondary attributes currently affect tradeskills (STR for blacksmithing, DEX for fletching and poison making).

If there's something you want made, it's usually cheap to buy it outright than to attain the skill to make it.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Siets posted:

So what are some decent high level necromancer “turn your brain off and grind” platinum camps now that seafuries are nerfed?

I know some people get gem drops from geonids but those are usually fairly busy. There’s also Felwithe guards. Beyond those two my knowledge is pretty limited.

Do the Fe'Dhar cycle in Skyshrine. Here's a sample of their loot table with many of those droppable items being worth decent plat, and also decent no drops that you can park alts to pick up (I geared multiple alts and guildies doing this). It helps if you have Emissary of Thule (to tank the Fe'Dhar while you load up a snare/fear) and Staff of Dreaded Gaze (those fears add up). If you want to keep your dragon faction, FD each kill.

If you're really lucky, you'll walk away with a Wurm Lord Shawl.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 10, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Siets posted:

I camped Staff of Dread Gaze for... so... long...

So. Long.

Never saw it. :(

You think that cycle is doable at 55 without those items or not likely?

You can do it without either, but it slows down the cycle. Probably 56 to have the monk pet, but main thing would be having the dots between 56 and 58 which help. At this point I'd say levels will help you more than gear.

An alternative is to just grind out exp by root rotting Mrak and Karnan in the Neriak Foreign Quarter arena. Mrak is on NeriakOgre faction, and Karnan is on NeriakTroll faction, neither of which have any purpose. They're lvl 48-50 warriors so they won't give you much trouble, and are on around ~6 min respawn. You can start with just one until you feel comfortable with doing both. Don't let them leave the arena because they'll buddy-aggro mobs outside.

However, all the other mobs inside all the arena are on The Dead faction. This isn't a problem for most necros, but they were kos to my iksar. To repair this, go kill Dragoon Szorn in Lesser Faydark several times - he gives something like +100 to The Dead each kill (while lowering Indigo Brotherhood).

Anarch fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 10, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

I ride bikes all day posted:

SK/Pally or Rogue was pretty much what I was thinking. I have my bard up to 25 now, but I just don't see it bringing a lot of value to that class makeup. Stacking haste and battle songs are kinda wasted for 1 melee, and while clarity song is great, it just doesn't make up for the awful DPS.

What's a good/cheap Rogue weapon?

Best budget rogue piercer:
Thunder Runed War Spear 13/30 5ac 25hp 5mr - 500p (note: can put in range when you upgrade)

Best twink rogue piercers if you can afford:
Small Dragonbone Shard 13/26 - 1k (small races only)
Frozen Shard 13/26 - 1k (has proc but not active until 44)

For offhand and haste, if you can afford it I highly suggest:
Velium Swiftblade 5/24 36% haste - 2k (offhand won't do much damage at lower levels, but that high end haste will speed up your main piercer and backstab refresh)

Gearwise you want to focus on str and hp for rogue.

Also, don't fret about your bard! They excel in twisting/mixing up song effects on the fly depending on the situation. You're two levels away from charming, which is awesome in groups both as cc and dps.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 21, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Stat-wise for rogues you need to ignore the dex/agi suggestion and go str/sta. Str is top priority because that has a direct effect on your damage. Yes, you can easily reach 200+ str in gear and 255 with buffs, but the faster you reach that the more hp/resist/sta gear you can wear. Dex helps with procs (but most procs draw aggro which you don't want) and agi is mostly a concern if you drop below 75 (and all rogues start with at least 80 agi), so you can largely ignore those stats.

For starting stat allocation, str is better if you're untwinked or a laughably weak race (like halfling or gnome). However, sta might be a better use of starting stats (especially if you're barb or dwarf) because it's harder to max sta, however you won't see returns immediately.

My personal ranking for rogue races:
1. Dwarf - 2nd best in melee stats (str/sta), +5 mr, infravision, barrel roll.
2. Barbarian - 1st best in melee stats (str/sta), nightblind, polar bear hat.
3. Halfling - 4th best in melee stats (str/sta), infravision, exp bonus, furry feet.
4. Gnome - tied for 6th best in melee stats (str/sta), infravision, wallhack vision, cool factor (can wear skyshrine robe, velious watchman helm, etc).
5. Anything else - no, just no.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 21, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Caiu cashed out. Grats on beating EQ!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
The Last Binge (purge edit)

Here lies feigned Caiu. See Caiu Cringe!
Living like a Pons Star, on the fringe.
All the neckbeards collectively twinged,
And tried to claim that he was unhinged.
He "stole" their recharges to infringe,
But really took the rap just to impinge.
Paid 27 grand with a banhammer swinge,
It was worth getting rid of that EQ syringe.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 27, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

DeathSandwich posted:

I can't check the Wikis at work. Steelsilk is reasonably easy/cheap to make compared to the equivalent cultural plate stuff for High/Dark elf and Dwarf right? Granted you have to level tailoring which is a different kind of fresh hell compared to blacksmithing, but you can also farm a lot of the raw materials to do so yourself rather than having to buy thousands of platinum worth of ore for smelting.

Steelsilk requires a drop from a single rare spawn in SRO, as well as purified mana which costs four rubies and 1000 mana per vial. The imbued stuff is really nice though, but I'd recommend leveling smithing to trivial that first.

Also, tailoring is much more time consuming and expensive than smithing because of the SOV tailoring gap. Only halflings and wood elves can sort of bypass that gap, but it's really annoying for everyone else. Mid-tier smithing you can farm up high quality ore in SolA, and high-end smithing only really requires leather padding which is abundant in EC.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Ginette Reno posted:

The leveling faster is a nice perk though that I think sometimes gets overlooked. Iksars are gonna level 20% slower which is a lot. Now granted, maybe that balances out a little bit since regen gives them less down time than a non Iksar. But I imagine the Human even with that disadvantage still hits 60 faster assuming both leveled in the same conditions.

That regen makes a huge difference at higher levels and will significantly reduce downtime. Also the exp penalty means nothing once you hit 60.

That said, play what you want and have fun.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Those tboots are trash. Never buy tboots. Hell, the server is so saturated with jboots you can sometimes get jboots for 5k. In conclusion, gently caress tboots.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

KingFisher posted:

Being the bard who has to spam manasong for the clerics has all the tedium but none of the stress.

Which is in some ways worse.

That's usually assigned to the worst/afk bard. The fact that you routinely ask to do it is quite telling.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 30, 2018

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Was that for something you said in-game, on the forums, or off-site? Just curious since I've heard Sirken has gone as far as banning people for saying "anti-GM" stuff off-site.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Frog Act posted:

sorry i should clarify, I mean to post this alongside that but forgot to paste it

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/9sxwxt/gm_abuse_and_no_oversight/?st=jnxydhio&sh=213fa709

Oh yeah I read that post. All that recent stuff is really disillusioning. so much so that I've pretty much stopped playing (and I'm not even in Core). Sometimes I wonder if Rogean is even aware of the situation.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Detoxx (and by extension the AM officer RMT crew) are/were more toxic.

The main issue with Bellringer is that he's Sirken's friend, and Tempest hasn't gotten in trouble for any raid infractions. :thunk:

Anarch fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

insider posted:

Dude is completely corrupt and needs to be banned permanently from the game.

Edit: They are permanently banning accounts for anyone who mentions the reddit thread on the offical forums.

The good ol' "staff bashing" ban.