Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

please knock Mom! posted:

Anarchy Online has the Bureaucrat, who gets 2 charms which don't break randomly as well as a summoned pet

It's super broken

Anarchy online, the best game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

At some point, you got NPC damage and regen if you DC'd. So if you DC'd in an area with pathing mobs, you'd go ham on them until you actually dropped and come back to a nice chunk of exp.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Fyodorovich posted:

Play exclusively in 1st-person like the good lord brad intended

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

blatman posted:

I wish there was a takp thread so I could post this there but this seems inactive enough that it won't annoy anyone - I clawed my way up from the newbie dirt and made it to 19 on a shaman on takp, farming the spiderling ruins in field of bone to afford spells and some garbage gear, this is pretty much perfect for the sort of game I was after but if anyone has a poison wind censer i'll farm spiderling silks for you in exchange. I think if I can nab one of those I can just cruise to 40 farming hill giants along the way to buy one of those clicky nuke bracers then level off of everfrost giants or something (seafuries in oot maybe?) to pay for torpor which will let me farm guardian wurms in skyfire at 60, this kicks rear end and it's going to continue to kick rear end

Torpor is a level 60 spell, sadly.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

There's so many half-baked concepts in EQ, but that's what makes it so charming. Like having Innkeepers that sell keys, and having individual Inn rooms. Its like they wanted to have other systems but realized it was too much and had to cut it, but left enough you can see where they were thinking.

This one dates back to MUDs that had "patchable" rooms where once you were inside, they were private. Give you three goon guesses what happened in there in the 90s.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

Maybe we'll check out Oasis - we got a TP over to Antonica to check out Gorge and then got a TP back when everything was a ghost town.

Personal opinion, oasis is the worst leveling zone in the game. It's good safe, so it's bad for new/relearning players. It has no money drops, so stay there too long and you won't have money for spells. It's exp modifier is wretchedly low. Chance of sand giant and spectre trains (which is a different kind of danger than, say, managing aggro radius and adds in unrest).

The only upside is that it's close to guk, and if you get a group, you can convince them to go to guk scryer room or squire room or crypt. Where exp will be better, there's cash and time drops and just plain more fun.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

The only time I've seen this work is if you are a Druid or Wiz and can port part of the way. By the time you can evac thru WK though youre way way outleveled for that quest. Maybe if you have a friend on standby?

Plus, dropping group or leaving them hanging to do a scroll turn in? eh...

If you're a class that can gate to the turn in guy, and you know wizard or druid that's willing to bind there with you, it's pretty fast. I made a fair amount of plat on blue selling scrolls to someone who was doing that.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Dizz posted:

yeah meditate would help a bunch. SoW would help with running to guards if i lose fights. just a slow wait between each fight.

I also learned there's a few quests i can do, so my goal now is to get 6 froglok meats.

If you can find 1-2 other people, you can go into the beginning of upper guk. I guess the ZEM is nerfed but it's probably better than innothule.

I think there's a quest to get raw hide armor if you give some dude 4 fungus spores and then give the pie that guy gives you to another guy. Don't underestimate the power you get from crappy armor at low levels!!!! Kill those fungus man trackers!

E: also, don't forget to start on the regent symbol of innoruuk quest at some point. It's the only way shaman get snare.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

The first machine I played EverQuest on was a Pentium 1 233 Mhz with 32 MBs of ram with a 2 GB hard drive. Logging in took 30 minutes and the intro tune would finish before I was in game (it didn't loop). Zoning took between 10 and 30 minutes.

I lived in South Karana for a long time.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Lakedaimon posted:

It seems so strange to me that people would go through the headache of setting this game up, the crashes, the total lack of "quality of life" features, unless they are chasing nostalgia. But there are a bunch of people in my guild who never played on live.

I feel attacked.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

aparmenideanmonad posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2022/07/30/the-game-archaeologist-that-time-when-everquest-let-you-play-as-the-monsters/

Fun project M article. Being Queen Klacknack in Qeynos with a herd of fire beetle pals doing some star ship troopers reenactment was my personal highlight.

I was a resident player on test server when this was released. On the one hand, it was dope as hell; on the other hand, it brought a lot of prod server trash to the server. Same thing with full open pvp and race war.

It was pretty good getting twinked and buffed as an orc pawn in East Freeport tho.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Sankis posted:

boxing should be legal but only if you can prove each instance is on its own separate computer like you had to do back in the day

I had a computer that could two-box in 2001 :smugdog:

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

FungiCap posted:

The game would crash early on if you alt tabbed. The fact that it didn't crash with eq window really implies that it was a bug that they backsplained as being immersive or anti cheating.

I always thought it was botched transfer of control of the GPU back the OS which caused the crashing.

The cyber cafe I worked at from 99-2003 had all the windows keys ripped off the keyboards.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

Trying to explain to my dad that I can't pause my game to do the dishes on my first NToV raid

Telling my first NToV raid I have to log cause I called my mom a b*tch when she kept nagging me about taking the trash out :(

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Hibajubwa posted:

I’m lazy and like afk camps.

- NG in seb. Just killing the 3 bugs is great pp/hour and ezpz. You can use positioning and never aggro/fight the roamer

- Velks upper spiders. Specifically I’ll camp just the silver bracer guy because its non-lore and good pp. You can do all the other nameds for more loot/pp, but again I’m lazy.

- Fungi king duo/trio is bigly pp. I havent done it in years, but its fun and you get stupid rich.

- Ayllish, +6 necklace dragon in WW. Soloing her is a grind… literally took an hour the first time I did it. You can sell the neck loot rights for good pp, and you’ll have the timer.

- Plane of Mischief you can do A4 for crowns/thrones. Pom is fun af, but omg respawn time + drop rate makes it a very annoying place.

Crypt is also cake if you can get a picker to let you in. Farm hierophant's cloaks for days.

Howling stone is dicey but can be done. I guess if it isn't swarmed by necros?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

War Eagle posted:

How do you handle the two CHing Imperial Crypt guardians? I haven’t done crypt on P99, but on progression servers they are a bitch.

And Howling Stones has killed me so often that I’m just gonna skip that entirely!

At 60, I'm pretty sure you can prox aggro solo pull them from inside a room. Yeah, they're a pain in the rear end, but you've got torpor, so :shrug:

The howling stones comment is reasonable, and, actually, on a server with corpses it's probably a bad idea if you don't have a Necro to summon corpse just chilling.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Oh yah, I know these guys. On Aradune, I somehow managed to link up with some old Duke era Red99 heads and two of the guys developing this server were in the crew. Looks interesting, I might give it a try with a couple friends, but I feel like EQ PvP is mostly solved and if you aren't socking you're gonna have a bad time.

Also, I've played a lot of MMOs, including Eve Online, and I don't think I've seen anything that challenges the depravity of Red 99 players.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Mostly solved in what sense? I’m curious what the optimal strats are. Guessing level trumps most everything else so solo-friendly / pet classes are probably very strong early game.

There was a lot of implied expertise in my post, but it shouldn't be there. I've gained a lot of knowledge from playing with this crew, but don't have first hand experience.

Cheese spots, different clickies that are necessary, items, abilities and spells that are not considered useful in PvE but highly useful in PvP (looking at you, Pumices, Cloudy Pots), Resists > all, gate always on bar, secret bind spots, etc.

I think maybe some fresh server roll-up would be interesting as people probably forgot a lot of low level / low economy starts, but anyone new to EQ PvP is probably gonna be at a huge disadvantage compared to Red99 players or even Zek players.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

PyRosflam posted:

Bards are stupidly OP as they can fear kite almost anyone, Enchanters could charm players, blind spell makes you think your screen is broken and stops you from bagging your equipment. O ya and most people die to the SK HT till they put a cap of like 60%.

In short its a wild west of pvp mechanics that may or may not belong together.

Interestingly, bards are not going to be on this server iirc because the devs knew how OP they were. So, some comedy on the name "A Minstrel's Tear". E: I might be wrong about this but I was operating under this assumption.

I think any class with early invis will be great.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 23, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Pillow Armadillo posted:

That Minstrel's server that was mentioned upthread - is that gonna appear on the EQEmu list or is there a website to find out how to join? Supposed to start tomorrow

I think it's EQEmu list. They have their own custom patcher/installer tho, no titanium required (links on discord).

I couldn't remember my old EQEmu account pw and couldn't get a new account verified before I needed to do other stuff. But I watched a friend roll a human ranger (lol) and race to level 5 and Jack a couple level 1 druids meming their spells before he got destroyed by a pair of level 5 monks.

Server is good (to watch).

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Decided I'm doing a Quellious paladin pacifist roll up tomorrow on RoZ. Gonna preach the gospel of tranquility and the futility of violence (PvP). Hoping to get a couple friends to do it with me and make PvP feel like a timesink. Wish me luck!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Little RoZ trip report.

I ended up rolling a human Necro of bertoxxulous for that sexy Qeynos start. I've made it to level 17 mostly soloing, but have 3 friends (9 pal, 13 rng, 16 enc) on the server as well and I've grouped some with them.

For PvP, I've died twice. The first was from a low level warrior that the guards assisted over me, because hay! not many folks in Qeynos love the plague necromancer. The other time, a higher level enchanter got the drop on me with low health.

I've gated out from two ambushes.

I made 5 (!!!) people gate while I was farming in Qeynos Aqueducts.

I had a close fight that I ended up gating in black burrow. Rogue caught me when I had just finished killing a yellow, and I lost my pet and didn't have the mana to get the last 30%>

I've fought the same guy 3 times last night and driven him off each time, but unable to secure the kill due to low level mana constraints.

Overall, I'm having fun, but right now the lack of resources to confirm a kill is a little frustrating. It's definitely a lot of PvE with some added danger. I think with another 5-10 levels, I'll probably start being more of a power house.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Wonder how a bone knight would fare in that environment,

It's extremely loot constrained. No velious, kunark is not unlocked, and we are at day 4 with a level 30 cap until Thursday 8 AM.

I think bone knight only works in places where you can easily get good proccing weapons, which I think are bottlenecked by platinum since most good bone knight weapons you couldn't get solo.

Also, melees do a lot more damage than green/blue. Sitting always incurs a max hit, and arrows do double damage against stationary targets. Snare is pretty king, and Necro snare kind of sucks until dooming darkness. Finally, it's all about the joust, so 2h weapons seem to be better than faster 1h.

So, idk about bone knight.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

blatman posted:

hows ranger for a no-box fresh start server where nobody has gear?

Dreadful lol

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

last I checked, I think some of the spell shuffling QOL from Velious(?) will be available at launch.

for my side, I'm trying to set up a static 4 man leveling group with some friends with no melees since they're gonna be so awful. haven't quite figured out what yet, maybe SHM/NEC/MAG/WIZ ? dunno

Druid over wiz if you want ports, snare, enc over wiz for damage, imo.

Wiz is just kind of a bad class outside raid targets imo.

Actually, I'd probably go druid/enc/shm/nec and go for charm friendly areas, though that might not be as viable on p99 as live/tlp.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

edit: in any case, druid might be nice just to PL something later once we have cash.

I'd bet a druid who casts DS and dumps mana between bowls is probably as good as a wizard until kunark.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

In that group configuration the bard provides travel speed, melee dps and tanking early on, pulling, CC and charm dps a little later on, mob debuffing / fear / aoe throughout and efficient downtime reduction from mid 30s onwards. There's really no "or" here, everyone in the group has some cc, travel/pull, manaregen, single target and aoe dps etc. The bard is key to changing it up to whatever the situation requires.

This. Active bard players can do everything and the good ones can determine what the best thing to do is based on camp/group/needs/etc.

Shaman and druid are kind of like this as well, necto too but less so.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Neriak red wine quest, though that requires some start-up capital.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Looks like I can afford my level 14 shaman spells on Quarm :dukedog:

Siiiiiiiiiick

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Telltolin posted:

I tried doing mammoth charming in everfrost but there are so few mammoths that even one other competitor for the spawns can completely lock me out, and since I like to AFK a lot I'm not too good at competing for spawns

I saw a guide say LOIO was decent for this level, any other ideas for a good druid soloing spot?

LOIO should be good, lots of animals, lots of mobs, just not a lot of money. You might be able to do stuff with ancient croc in uguk but that might be a little higher level.

Telltolin posted:

If you guys are good aligned (and not KOS to qeynos paladin guild) I will recommend what I always do -- bandit sashes in west karana. Kill them bandits for some nice XP, little bit of cash and the occasional bronze wep drop
then collect bags and bags full of sashes and turn them in to the paladin guild in qeynos. Each turn in gets you xp, some cash and a bronze weapon. Six backpacks full of bronze weapons can net you 200-400pp per turn in sesh, and a goodly amount of xp. Level real fast and make some nice cash

This or the nybright sisters are probably the best money camps at that level but the nybright sisters are a pain to secure the camp on. You can swap to crushbone but it's not really great for money until you can kill Legos, slavers and the nameds.

E: you can also start breaking into unrest at that level and make okay-ish money from poison reagent drops until you can get into MR/FP.

Befallen is another option but it's generally an unpleasant dungeon to level in, with both runners, necros that dot, necros that fear and the occasional SK HT.

DisgracelandUSA fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 9, 2023

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

A Strange Aeon posted:

What level is OG Splitpaw? Pretty far off the beaten path

Late 20s-mid 30s. Maybe higher.

cmdrk posted:

Thanks pals!

Given that Quarm has ~1600-1800 people on at prime time with a bottom-heavy population, I'm going to assume that Befallen, Nybrights and Unrest are 24/7 permacamped for the foreseeable future. Suspect similar with WK bandits, but the Raider camps in NK or bandits in EK might be accessible. I assume the other bandit camps drop the sashes. Maybe even Gorge of King Xorbb for an intermediary to EK. Hrmmm.

There are 3 different bandit camps in WK, so you might try your luck. Worst case, you're killing zone trash waiting for one to open. Nybright and Unrest, you're dead on.

You could also go to Blackburrow, that places greens out around 17-18, and the only good drop is the -MR shoulders the commanders drop, but the gnoll teeth are probably pretty good exp.

E: alternatively, if the warrens are in, that could be a p. cool place, or willow wisps in toxxulia / karanas / qeynos foothills.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Flavahbeast posted:

Will it? I never played past Kunark but if the end state is PoP I think everything is outclassed or neutered by then

Manastone - doesn't work in planes or expansion content, definitely has a impact on pre-planar content with every caster having one
Rubicite BP - Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate regen is better, fungi tunic regen is way better
Other rubicite - lots of people will be red for a while
GBS - Not really relevant
Fishbone Earring - Kedge is a lot more popular with everyone having easy access to this, but more and more breathing stuff gets added later
Guise - lots more people can bank confidently in Neriak

I believe the problem with mana stone is that it allows folks to bind near some raid target/zone, get TL'd to old world, mana stone, gate, coth and you're at full mana. Yeah, cumbersome, but it makes things like folks dying more trivial in later content that are marathon fights.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

shirunei posted:

Their shamans are pretty for sure!

Marda and Fuga would like a word with you.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

No new models until Luclin, which is fine, bc you should quit at the end of Velious.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

shirunei posted:

PQ is run by an unstable narcissist, while p99 has been around for almost a decade and a half. You decide!

Very true, but P99 is run by a fairly stable group of narcissists!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

P99 honestly is fine, leveling on quarm isn’t without toxicity either since it’s got the tlp crowd that doesn’t care about camp or train rules

The only rule I know is No Tag Body Bag :black101:

This is a pvp server, right?????

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

blatman posted:

the first melee to discover jousting in eq pvp was like the first ape to touch the monolith and immediately pick up a bone to start bludgeoning his rivals to death

I recall watching paladin botb, just hours of jousting.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Sankis posted:

You've never truly lived if you weren't there for Project M on live servers. What an absolutely bonkers idea. Just the devs throwing ideas at the wall and briefly having it on test servers before bringing it to the live servers.

It was too beautiful (and broken lmao) for this world.

For anyone unfamiliar, a bit after Velious launched we got this:

This was in a client where buffing npcs and stuff was possible. So if you could communicate that you were a monster player it was not unheard of for someone to buff you (though equally likely someone would kill you immediately.) It didn't last especially long as you can probably imagine, though it supposedly ended up inspiring the Darkhollow expansion a few years later

I played on test fulltime from vanilla till PoP, and I remember the pvp, race war and project M patches. Race war was fun, if not annoying, but project M was a whole new level of insanity. Groups of fire beetles ganging up on poor newbies; raid buffed orc pawns with ykeshas and hp jewelry. I'm surprised they even let it hit live.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Also, hide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

cmdrk posted:

People play necro with races other than Iksar?

Only before Kunark is released.