Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

just started playing this as paladin (which is what i played back in t he day) and it's scary how much you remember all the sounds and locations even after 18 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

please knock Mom! posted:

Omg shawn we should play [am ks]

i know it's you you silly goose. and yes. my guy is named fearghail.

Inimicul posted:

What level is your paladin? Race/class/loc? ASL?

3 human freeport. another thing i hadn't forgotten is how lovely the initial levels are.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah i was gonna say the game didn't really get good until i was 20 and had double attack and a good number of spells (and a ghoulbane). i only ever got to level 30 back in the day but that run from 20-30 was pretty fun.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mantari posted:

Never played EQ before but I'm in as Faldron the dwarf cleric, took a boat to freeport pretty sweet so far.

saw you in ec tonight just before you camped.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i feel dumb i've been vendoring my hq bear skins. sold 5 stacks of bone chips for 100pp though so i'm feeling richer than i ever did back in the day.

probably gonna buy a better sword (maybe a blackened iron bastard sword if i can get one since it's what i ran before i got ghoulbane years back). was the funniest sword because it was 2hand but was about as long as a dagger.

was thinking of also picking up a skull shaped barbute but based on the wiki they're still mad expensive (hundreds of plat when towards the end of my playing eq they were down to around 30-60).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

good call. i ended my eq career with bronze armor, skull shaped barbute, ghoulbane, and a shield i can't remember (i remember nothing about shields in this game) camping lake of ill omen so i'm dumb when it comes to kunark items.

edit: thanks to the goon that twinked my lil rear end up earlier.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 20, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

christ i got so pumped hitting 9 and finally get spells i forgot meditate isn't until 12.

do they have plans on releasing a clean server that did the updates in real time at some point? what;s tough about playing now is there aren't enough people to group at the lower levels even in what i presume are the popular spots. and i'm guessing the economy is way out of whack with the level of plat people got.

also why was the rubicite set set to no longer drop? did that happen in real eq.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh i've been selling mine.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did they do it cuz the breastplate was too good??

it was one of the coolest looking sets back when i played.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was watching those old everquest mysteries videos and it made me think of the megalodon and kraken that were rumored to be in the game. i looked em up (i think megalodon was originally in lake rathetear but was removed due to pathing stuff but people said it was still around somewhere and the kraken was supposedly in oot and people even faked screenshots of "a kraken" back in the day) and it turns out they added both to a city called sarith city of tides in a later expansion. wild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's also weird they added a race i've never heard of called the drakkin instead of one of the dozens of races already known in the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh yeah it was weird they had the vah shir instead of just making them kerra.

also weird they only ever added two classes.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 28, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

beastlord seemed interesting to me but berserker just seems bizarre. of course since i never played during the time they were in i have no idea how they worked in reality.

it was interesting playing back before people knew which classes were actually lovely. you'd see a good amount of rangers because track seemed like a great skill but i dunno why verant never "fixed" them.

and i never understood why the hybrid classes got an exp penalty - is that just a holdover from d&d? they're worse than the classes they take their 1/3 from so that never made sense to me.

and it's hilarious they accidentally coded halflings to get the human exp bonus and then just left it like that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

this guy's videos rule. i'd never seen the iksar/scorpion dudes (lake of ill omen was as far as i got on kunark).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was reading raph koster's blog posts on swg's development recently and it was funny how eq saw its biggest drop in subs when they added vendors to the game (i think he was the one who figured it out).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did some duoing after a lot of help and charity, my shaman is almost 9 now. Anyone who wants to go today is hella welcome

i got to level 9 a week or so ago but stopped playing cuz nobody is around to group at that level. only see people getting power leveled at orc camps.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm a human pally - probably gonna head over but i only know firiona vie and lake of ill omen from my actual eq days. where is that place y'all at?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jesus christ ks how much do you play this game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's funny how verant gave the hybrids an xp penalty when one of them is the worst class in the game.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm level 41 now shawn

i never got to 10 lmao

Zaphod42 posted:

Half of EQ's design was a guess.

I love how many ideas you can see they had but didn't follow through on.

the best is that they miscoded the human xp bonus so halflings got it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

That's amazing :allears:

i still think hell levels are the weirdest quirk of the game. i didn't realize until fairly recently why it happened and it was dumb how they calculated exp for the level groups it started occuring on - it wouldn't have been that difficult to give it a smooth curve.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's too bad i only like playing melee characters in games and specifically paladins in fantasy games.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's too bad every other mmo is so boring with their designs. i don't think anything comes close to eq in how interesting a lot of the classes work - especially bard and enchanter.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

more like dumb brain drama

more like dumb brain trauma!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lemons lives!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lemonslol posted:

Do you play?

i got to 9 but nobody levels in the old stomping grounds. i was gonna do ec > north ro > oasis. and ks played way too much so he outleveled me super fast. my guy's in north ro.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

NARC.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i kinda wanna play a bard but i must stop myself.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah stuff like exp and the penalties were hard coded into the game (and why a gently caress up caused halfings to get humans' xp bonus). i'm guessing all that is why it wasn't "fixed" for so long.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mmm, jboots taste good!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

did later wow get rid of that? how would they not know about that???

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm waiting on the green server.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vargs posted:

It's not something you tend to care about much. In most circumstances mobs just aren't threatening enough for you to care about pulling as few as possible, and groups of them don't tend to be super densely packed with tons of long patrol routes. Mythic dungeons are on strict timers and are all about speed, so you want to grab as much as you can possibly handle at once rather than meticulously picking things off. The days of Defias Pillagers and super careful Undead Stratholme pulling are long gone.

why;d they make the game worse?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i've seen a number of people talking about how people who are hounding for wow classic are gonna bounce off it insinuating it was too hard which is hilarious if you've played any previous mmo.

i've been playing ffxvi (but i've grown pretty bored of it quick) and it's absolutely bizarre being able to pull mobs from camps without having to manage aggro. even mobs that are hostile will just sit there as you pull one of their buddies. you can run around mindlessly not having to worry about anything aggoring you. nothing like having to make a low level night time run through kithicor.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

when i first got eq i accidentally rolled on a pvp server (i think it was either first in the list or coolest named god can't remember exactly) and didn't know what i had done so some other newbies in freeport ask me hey wanna hunt dark elves and i'm thinking oh must be some npcs you camp in eastern commonlands and we proceed to get absolutely smoked in the dead of night.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's not classic unless i can only view the gameworld through 1/4 of my screen.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah kinda the bummer of say a private ac or eq or what have you server is you can never recreate people not knowing what the best spots are to level/where everything is. i think that's part of the reason people want an eq 1.5 (obviously pantheon will never come out and even if he did it's not the one).

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah most of the problem is mmos lead you by the nose through some story nowadays. in eq you had to find quests with word prompts and poo poo. it tossed you into a world. i played ff14 for a little less than a week and it was obnoxious.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

insider posted:

Month away from Green and still no actual information about it. Starting to think it is not going to happen.

they're saving us from ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

classic wow is a cakewalk compared to everquest and it was always funny seeing wow players talk about how hard it was.