Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

I always thought hell levels were on purpose so that people would pile up at a smaller number of levels to make grouping easier.

e: To be clear, I didn't think that for any particular reason

It certainly makes more sense than the actual reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I was able to be the "main" healer as a paladin once while grouping and that was in CT and our group had so much DPS we were cutting through everything so I didn't have to tank and was just topping people off.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Another downside to paladins are the stretches of 10 levels between spells. You'll be using the same level 19 heal when you're 28, healing outside of an emergency Lay of Hands is more of a downtime while medding thing in my experience.

I was disappointed to discover that Lay of Hands doesnt even complete heal past a couple thousand hit points. Apparently it has a hard cap as an ability?

It's 30-something times your level.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sankis posted:

Have there been any rumblings of them starting the Green cycle over again?

I've been waiting on a new server because the leveling experience doesn't really do it for me with the population so top heavy.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Always thought it was hosed up they didn't make the gods look like they did in the instruction manual in the later expansions. Bertoxxulous looks so much cooler there.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Why'd they ever think this was a good idea.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Oh what up Volatilia! It’s Fiaryn the Shadowknight.

I don’t think I was there when you and Spirit were both in Guk but I DID get to see a hilarious group explosion you might get something useful out of.

There is a Ranger named Snare. Do not group with that dude. He is a danger to everyone around him. We had a really safe and stable camp at Squire and when he took over pulling he started taking really deranged routes for even longer pulls. Pretty soon he’s dead to a Tonta Knight and friends which then hunt us down and kill everyone except me and the Necromancer. The funniest part is he had like, two brushes with death before this where he fled to LGuk zoneline BEFORE the final fuckup. So he kept doing it.

(The Necro feigned death and I was gone with the wind the second it was obvious we were hosed)

Playing on green we encountered this twinked dwarf rogue who kept stealing the second floor for main room while we were upstairs. Later in the week he joined our group up there and would chain pull never checking mana or anything and got us killed a bunch of times or made us train zone. My friends and I moved on to goblins in Highkeep and he joins the group the second day in and does the same thing. Like we'd barely survive a bad pull and everyone's at low health no mana and he keeps chain pulling the goblins (who are on a short timer). He barely spoke a sentence or two and people kept letting him in because 1. it's rude not to and 2. he was twinked as hell. It was a strange thing to experience because at this point the game is solved so you can known spawn timers (I always have one going from first pull so we know when stuff's going to pop on us) but this guy was winging it like it was actually 1999.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 6, 2023

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

As a single guy with no kids it was funny camping Unrest basement for 12 hours on a Saturday and a guy going "guess I have to spend time with the kids".

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

When I first got EQ back in the early days I unknowingly rolled on a PvP server - it was either near the top or I liked the god's name from the manual - and some fellow newbies in Freeport asked if we wanted to hunt Dark Elves and I thought they meant mobs and got completely destroyed in the pitch black night in EC. Never even saw the players owning me. Later rerolled on a server another kid I went to high school with was on.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nwin posted:

I got hooked way too quickly but wasn’t great. I got a human monk to level 46 and decided I should start my epic. I started missing college to camp things for my epic and lost my scholarship for college.

I'm lucky I don't have the kind of brain that gets totally sucked into these games. My brother is one and was in the top raiding guild in EQ and in WoW once fell asleep at his chair doing a dungeon, woke up, and grabbed the bus for school. Also felt a bit guilty about possibly getting a coworker fired when I told him about WoW despite me not playing it him, coming in after some weekend about how much he had been playing, and not long after he no-called no-showed until they canned him.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sankis posted:

I have no idea what any of that poo poo means. what's a quake in eq terms

Resets/respawns everything.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Warrior is a bad pick because they don't tank well until raid time. Shadow Knight and Paladin are your best bet if you want to do what Warrior should be able to do as they have spells that allow them to keep aggro or to snap aggro on them from adds. And groups always need tanks - when I played Paladin on p99 I was getting tells from groups across the world because nobody wants to play melee besides sickos like me. It sucked our second time through because my buddy and I rolled Rogue and Shaman and we very rarely could find tanks leveling but when we did things went 10x faster.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

iNteg posted:

Killing gators is boring as gently caress. Killing any mobs in this game is boring as gently caress. You need to find some friends or a group of people you enjoy shooting the poo poo with WHILE you're killing boring rear end gators. I met the best man at my wedding playing this dumb game and server. He's the OP of the thread. Unless you're a masochist and have an insane desire to just slam through it you gotta make it fun for yourself any way you can.

I enjoy the progression, i like getting the gear and doing the camps. getting my epic at like level 23 or some poo poo on my Rogue also made it fun, but it really was the guild i was in and the people I was playing with that really made p99 enjoyable.

This is why I found the guy making the single player game that apes old EQ so bizarre. That's something I'd check out if it was a co-op game but I have zero interest doing it on my own. I think the game is going to have fake PCs in it but that's not the same I'd need real pals to group with. Guess it appeals to boxers.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

an iksar marauder posted:

What you’re describing is every fresh eq1 box and that’s when it’s easiest to find groups

Logging in after school and waiting an hour for an orc camp to get an open spot in EC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

GrayDorian posted:

I've never looked into bards, I thought they were mostly just good at killing big groups in outdoor zones.
What makes them outdo necros, chanters, or mages? Pretty much all my knowledge of this game is from playing back in 2001 or so, and very fuzzy.

I knew bards were broken but had never seen it first hand until we were doing kurns second floor and the guy would grab like the entire floor and lull them as we took apart a bunch of yellows and reds.