Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Kortel posted:

So.. Get your drops then kill the Sleeper? Sorry I'm a horrible person.

yep, we're just farming it longer on the red server because there isn't anyone else on the server capable of getting into sleeper's tomb. there's only 2 sleepers keyed players on the server who aren't tagged in empire. i think at one point they may have tried to wake the sleeper before blue, but the gm's reset it? someone else can c/d that.

i'm sure it will eventually get awoken, since there's a few best in slot items for a couple classes that can only be acquired post-awakening, but from the sounds of it nobody feels the need to cut off the gnome mask gravy train any time soon.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Equality posted:

So I havn't played in ages and just reinstalled out of boredom. Anyone on red99 willing to take me under their wing? Ive got a 36 monk with a fungi and a 52 chanter that I probably am terrible at playing. Need some advice as to what to do and where to go as I've never had the pleasure of exploring Velious!

send anime a tell, i only log in to poopsock and raid but i can give you tips and give you red goon names no prob. red goons are also welcome to use my port bot druid as long as you don't strip its gear off, i change the password every once in a while so just stay in touch with me if you want to use it.

pepito sanchez posted:

i would rather play on a free ultima online server than play on red

i would rather poo poo on a kitten than play on red

this game is badly, horribly designed for any kind of pvp

why

blue server is the better server if you just want to explore norrath and dungeon crawl 1-59
red server is just a significantly better place to play at level 60 and if you play enough that's where you'll be eventually. no variance means no tracking, pvp means there are no fte rules, ruleset is more classic, raids are more challenging because there is no item recharging and the risk of pvp/ninja looting (100% allowed on red if you're in pvp level range of the raid.) you just show up and kill the dragons when they spawn, no bible-length rules sets about where you can or can't pull to, or 16 hour tracking windows at all, no dumb rules saying which guilds can engage which npc's etc.
red server has none of the bullshit rules lawyer stuff and insane 24/7 poopsocking that ruins the blue server endgame experience, dealing with pvp is a drop in the bucket by comparison (source: my main is like 2-50 k:d ratio i literally just ignore the existence of pvp on red)

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 2, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

pepito sanchez posted:

respect

guess the class

duo tranix and magi up to nagafen's lair :D

places i never really went to for fun on live

the corpse rez exploit for rerolling a character? o.O

[4/25/2015 1:22:01 AM] nilbog: it is ridiculous that i am a better content database administrator than they could employ, but that is the truth. regarding our db. i don  t expect a job offer, but if i got one, but i  m less than confident they could match my rl pay.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Seconding this recommendation, there's also a bunch of addons on page 4 (or 6?) and I recommend installing most of them, like the moveable chat windows and duxaui spell gems.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Pilsner posted:

Anecdotal, but I'm 99.9% sure the unique ID of your character back in the day was the character name. We are talking about EverQuest here, where you could enter Sebilis and go "/tell Trakanon yo", and if it gave back no error message, you knew Trak was up. :downs: It's insane to think about the exploits that were possible back then.

I've also heard that way back, you could die, log out, delete the char, make a new one with the same name, then go loot your old corpse (for no drop transferring).

/pet attack npc_name still does the same thing on p99, for pet classes. think there may be a few npc's that it doesn't work on, but i don't play a pet class so i can't say for sure.

nodrop corpse xfers were a thing, and there were also exploits like this to xfer items including nodrops to brand new servers for a while.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
camping low level pet class alts and doing that is the best way to check zones for rare spawns, and requires a much lower time investment than leveling ranger tracking alts. probably a lot more relevant of a strategy on red, since things regularly get left up and you usually have time to run your main character to the zone to kill it. on blue you're more limited to whatever zone your main's camped in, but on red you could spend a day porting around lvl 1 necro alts and track the whole game if you wanted to.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 10, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
the amount of threads on the blue forums complaining about the terrible raid scene is proof that the stockholm syndrome phoenomenon applies to video games

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
People really overplay the gear gap. It really only took a couple months to take my main from a scrub in rags to one of the better geared players on red. The only class with a high barrier of entry for everquest PVP is a ranger (windstriker) and that's mostly just because nobody wants to farm the content.

Biggest reasons for everquest PVP being poo poo:

Translocate boxes
Rez boxes
Call of the Hero
No partial resists code
Plug pulling
Screen dragging
Mass lag in mass pvp, even w/ modern hardware
poo poo class balance

That being said it's still one of the best PVP MMORPG's of all time. The gameplay mechanics can be as bad as they want, it's automatically better than any "PVP" game with instances.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Mar 12, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Warrior is a top tier class if you plan on raiding in everquest. Warrior is a lovely class to roll if you don't raid.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
necro's the best soloer if you don't want to invest a gently caress load of time and plat into a shaman. if you're rolling an alt to farm named camps and POM cards because you main a melee, necro's king. doesn't make sense to invest all the time and plat into a shaman to farm with unless you actually want to play it.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 18, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

a real jerk posted:

Xaanka how did you get banned? I MUST KNOW

I made a thread about how isis scored more rl yellowtexts than the red server the other day & posted their 30 day leaderboard with a comparison to red's

SoUr posted:

Sweet, that'll save me some running around vendors looking for blood.

As far as I can tell, my main concern is AC and WIS for mana as a SHM right? If that's the case then the cultural beats the Scaled Mystic set for all slots.

Right now I have a full set of Banded that I can sell as soon as I have something better. I've been saving up for the gems for the Scaled Mystic armor, but after seeing the stats on the cultural, it seems like a waste.

So if you have the mats for it, I pretty much need the full set.

Much like bards, there are no definitive rules about shaman gear because your stats are situational. While soloing a hard hitting mob that summons, yeah AC adds to your theoretical mana pool by reducing the amount you need to heal yourself. While raiding or root rotting it does nothing.

WIS STA +mana and +hp are what's important to you as far as your mana pool goes. Whichever stat is most efficient depends on how much of each one you have. AC is good too, but it only adds indirectly to your mana. In general some items are just clearly better or worse than others, regardless of the exact itemization.

As far as scaled mystic vs cultural goes.. some items are just straight up better than others in each set..

Gauntlets: cultural (wouldnt bother with either tho, much better easier to get gloves out there)
Bracer: cultural
BP: cultural
legs: cultural on blue, scaled mystic on red
arms: scaled mystic on blue, cultural on red
helm: scaled mystic
boots: cultural on blue, scaled mystic on red

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Mar 25, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
oh i also found this in my mspaint folder, i was pretty drunk so i don't remember making/posting it but i think its safe to say it probably played a role in why i got banned

sorry, p99 forum mods :(

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 25, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Not_Rainbow_Horse posted:

I haven't played for like 3 or 4 months, but i still read this thread and the p99 forums, and I have to say I'll miss your p99 forum presence.

Only banned for a week ;-)

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

lemonslol posted:

Powerlevel me to 60!.

I play a rogue, so I can only really help already functioning 45-60 groups get quicker kills. I guess I have my druid alt, but it can't PL effectively past the level 20 range. What I'm most useful for, is helping with or putting groups together for things like epic kills etc.

Any red goons who ever need help with anything, ~I pretty much only log in for scheduled empire raids unless somebody summons me with an SMS message~

I'm usually pretty available, and I actually like when people bug me to do Everquest things -- I just don't sit around in game unless I have something to do. If any goons want to have the ability to summon me, feel free to ask for my number if you catch me in game. Twitter's fine too for people w/ privacy concerns.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 27, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Dirt posted:

Some things on this server never change

That dude has been standing there AFK every day for as long I can remember. Doesn't matter the day/time, he is there.

the Duckman has many faces

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

hayden. posted:

If Barhoom is on 24 7 isn't the account owner almost certainly dual boxing?

Could be someone boxing a blue trader while playing red too, which is allowed on p99, although significantly less common now that they don't let people xfer plat between servers. Auction tracker's the most likely though.

Boxing's a lot more common than you'd think on p99. Easily 1/3rd of red players are blatantly obvious with it, and open about it if you ask. That's not even counting the people who make any attempt at hiding it.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Mar 30, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
we did it :]

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
So who has that <SLAMDUNKATRON> tag on red? I want an invite :)

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Siets posted:

Did you leave Empire or something?

Empire disbanded after waking the sleeper, we wanted to end on a high note instead of fizzling out. All existing characters are gonna be detagged in a couple weeks etc.

I'm not joining tempest, just gonna do my own thing and go back to helping new players until another guild worth my time comes around.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Quite A Tool posted:

I'm on Red with a 26 SK (Uhuh) and a 13 Ench (Bland) if anyone wants to get together and kill some poo poo tonight. I play pretty sporadically at late-night PST times normally but I'm on vacation this week so it's on-ish.

If I'm on tonight I'd be down to PL your ench

lemonslol posted:

Do you think Red will die? EQpvp server has had about 100 people on at all times. Red has had like 120 or so. Is this my chance to finally be a part of something in red or am I just wasting my time? My warrior is still 47

It's a tough call.
EQpvp allows boxing, so population numbers are inflated. And like all the other devnoob boxes in the past, they come and go in a matter of months.
Red server is starved of its main source of new players (blue server xfers) and I don't think Empire farming warders is going to make a bit of difference in that regard. Only 1 raiding guild remains on the server, and half of their leadership are bitter day 1 red player hypernerds who spent the past year griefing new players off the box because they were bitter about losing Velious & being rejected from empire. I'll eat my hat when players like Sickpuppy, Tune, and Ragnaros start doing anything to positively impact the population of the server. It kinda says a lot when a guild gives officer to a player who has like 8 characters perma banned for training new players.
There may be enough players out there who still want to raid, but won't play with Tempest, and another guild may pop up in the next couple of weeks. I wouldn't hold my breath, but I wouldn't consider the server dead quite yet either. Give it some time for the dust to settle.
Whether red becomes a 1 or 2 guild server, people are going to keep playing on it. Will be a very long time before you see another guild clearing NTOV. For players who want to experience EQ Velious raid progression who don't mind going back & doing kunark content, this is going to be a golden era. Don't have your epics yet? Now's your chance. For established geared players and ex-empire, yeah red server won't be killing anything relevant to you for months to come. I'll put a bullet in my brain before I spend another second of my life farming Plane of Growth trash.
Either way, whatever happens to red the server's going to need Warriors. Willing to bet almost every geared tank just retired last night.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Apr 1, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

moolchaba posted:

When it comes to ordering a pizza, I choose Mancino's over Little Caesar's. Sure, Little Caesar's is cheap at half the price, but it tastes like cardboard covered in pan grease. It's not an issue of me cowering in fear from the atrocious thing they call a pizza, it's more because I'm not going to waste my time on a lovely experience when their are much better alternatives.

I agree, I feel bad for all the people who realize this after they're level 60 and hundreds of hours invested into blue now that they can't xfer plat.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Erudite sk's are really cool, good choice

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

FranktheBank posted:

FashionQuest is most important.

This is legitimately true & good advice. Play whatever race you think looks the coolest. It doesn't matter in velious anymore. Iksar and Troll are moderately better than other races when available, with exception to necros--ALWAYS go Iksar. Ogres are good for shamans who want to solo high level summoning named mobs, but worse at everything else. There's a few minor race/diety restricted quests and items in the game. Beyond that race literally does not matter at all!!!

Also most of the stereotypically "best" races aren't even the best anymore with velious. Ex: Ogre warriors are some of the worst, halfling human etc is better.

Faction doesn't work like it did in classic, it's comparably very easy to fix them so I wouldn't bother factoring it into race choice. Exception being with The Overthere faction -- Puppet strings have been glitched for months and dropping 1 charge so there's been an extreme shortage on red. Not sure if it's the same on blue. It's nice to roll a race like Dark Elf that can get that faction off a few whip turn ins versus iksar which takes tens of thousands.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Race bonuses and faction points aren't very good at all for any SK stuff. Same issue I have being a High Elf Paladin. Race to the bottom

High elf paladins are great unless you didn't roll tunare. Free almost-epic and good int.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 4, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Booblord Zagats posted:

Yeah, but before Natty D was put in, they were easily the worst. My older brother played one up to 60 and raided a bit with him and always said it was the worst race/class in game, but when he got that sword and was able to quit attempting Fiery Avenger questing, he said it had all been worth it

if we're talking kunark era, ya they're the worst.
if we're talking velious era, even without the nature's D they have the best starting stats of any paladin race. especially for peeveepee.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
other time race matters:
small race is always better in indoor zones
primal proc size is based on your race
gnome wall looking is very good on red (other small races can do it w/ shrink pots)
racial sneak is pro as gently caress

basically, always roll halfling when it's an option.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

The size you turn into is based on your starting race, regardless of what illusion you are in. For instance, a barbarian rogue in a gnome or dark elf mask with primal procced = size of an ogre. A gnome rogue with an erudite mask and primal procced = erudite the size of a shrink potted gnome. I wish I knew this before I rolled my rogue, but hey sleeper's awoken and there's no going back!

DeathSandwich posted:

What happened to ogres going into Velious? I thought they were always unstunnable from the front or did they gently caress with that going into this expansion. In any case, you can still bash without a shield as the large races, so there's always that.

They still are, but contrary to popular belief FSI doesn't do much of anything for warriors. It comes out to being like +2-3% aggro generation, on the race that has the hardest time capping all melee stats. The main usefulness to FSI is that you don't get stunned while you're trying to position raid mobs, which is a mild inconvenience at worst. Still a great racial ability for soloing shamans. Velious gear absolutely shits out +STR and +STA meaning you'll reach the cap too easily and have difficult getting points into agi and dex. The best warrior races are now iksar for the +AC bonus or halfling due to very high starting dex, agi, and racial sneak.

Keep in mind I'm talking about end game velious raiding min/max, Ogres are still solid for non twinked characters, group content, people who don't raid etc. Best PVP race is also totally a different answer because things like 2h bash start to matter!

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

cinder posted:

Just realized today on my lowbie halfling druid that sneak+cammo is like having a self invis + ivu. Undead are indifferent even when directly in front of them. Never knew this somehow. Thanks p99 thread.

Yep it isn't quite as good as rogue hidesneak but it's overpowered. Not classic, but reported and unfixed for 2 years.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Forming a raiding guild alternative to <Tempest> on red right now if that interests anyone.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

KingFisher posted:

Need a bard? I got a 55 kicking around.

Definitely, we don't have a bard yet! I'm Anime in game, or you can contact Andis/Squats/Saibor for an invite!

We are named <Dominion> and nothing is really decided or official yet. But I will say we have been throwing around some really unique ideas the server's never seen before, if we end up going with them. Most of us are US timezone players ranging from sicko isomniacs to filthy casuals.

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Apr 7, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
We still haven't decided when raids will be

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

FranktheBank posted:

I have a 50 something cleric. I can not express how unlikely my west coast schedule is to match up, but if it does, i can log in. I would even grind to 60.

so far the guild's technically on an est schedule, but about half of us are west coast including myself. nobody's gonna make you raid at weird or unusual hours and there's been a lot of talk about making the guild more west coast friendly than empire was.

we're going to be working on ways to reward both casual and neckbeard players. we are a raiding guild, but there's been talks of an alternative pvp-based rewards system. who knows we're a new guild, sky's the limit, we gotta kill some dragons first. i'm not an officer, just an ideas man :]

there's also talks we may start an associated leveling guild for new players, ala thunderdome. anyone would be welcome and we would do guild-sponsored events and pl sessions. eventually item giveaways and such once we become established. cool things like that. or we may just help out thunderdome, we're allied with them.

edit: our guild app page http://goo.gl/forms/Ao01JbE0O7

Tashan Dorrsett fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 8, 2016

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Troll posted:

Wish I'd rolled small race.

At least you didn't realize this after getting a primal and having the sleeper awoken on your server ;) silver linings

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

But what happens when *that* server hits the end of Classic? Is there just no plan for that yet, given it is so far out?

the idea is the server would reset and dump all the characters to the regular blue server

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx

Ramulack posted:

If you are an :Enchanter, Bard or Necro you're in luck. The quest only requires a Jade which can be vendor bought cheaply. Simply charm the quest giver and hand it in to him (charm raises faction to the appropriate level)

If you are anything else: Find someone selling 'charges' of Cazic Thule puppet strings. This item has a right-click charm effect for all classes to use. I think the average cost for a charge is like 2k or so.

Should be 50+ for all charm techniques

Otherwise you can always faction grind (its terrible)

Puppet strings have been dropping as 1 charge since the zone revamp. Dunno if there's stockpiles on blue, but good luck finding a puppet stings at any price on red. Got mines but I have a few friends that have been offering 20k for a charge for half a year and haven't gotten any bites.

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
currently 1 charge dropping string owners can petition to get 10 charges, but nobody bothers and it takes forever. it took gongshow weeks to get his strings fixed and he's rl friends with sirken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashan Dorrsett
Apr 10, 2015

by Deplorable exmarx
Anyone around level 50-59 on red? I don't really play anymore, but I wouldn't mind helping anyone make it to 60 by smashing things with my primal rogue from out of group, so long as you have a tank that can keep aggro off me.