Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I played UO at the time and was naturally extremely jaded and cynical of another fancy 3d mmo releasing in the near future. But then I just got EQ anyway and played both games for like 3 years cause I'm a big degenerate nerd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

cmdrk posted:

I've never understood why they're forced to use Titanium. Surely they could rebase the server against an older client?

After playing TAKP, the P99/Titanium stuff feels seriously less classic.

I have to assume there's some technical reason that they can't, otherwise they would have a long time ago. I think it has something to do with the most fundamental code being stock EQEmu code and I *think* that only works with newer clients, so they kind of have to just hamfist some things to make it as close to classic as they can. Also they are volunteering to do this and they make basically zero money so I can't give them too much poo poo.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Venuz Patrol posted:

i am going to play this when green launches in october. i consign my life to dust

It was nice knowing you for this one post

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
P99 goon guilds are usually populated for a while at low to mid level ranges but then people bail to join raiding guilds. You really have to be a certain type of masochist to lead a good raiding guild so it makes sense... not that there aren't masochistic goons, don't get me wrong.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Anarch posted:

P99 in 2019 is guaranteed masochism for everyone involved.

You have a point.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I definitely think there is more to it than strictly nostalgia because I also played EQ2 from launch hardcore up until the first expansion, in 2004, only five years after EQ1's launch. And I almost never think about it. Even the luclin expansion I have no real nostalgia for and I was like 16 when that released. Excess familiarity does erode the experience but there has to be a reason so many newcomers today like it. Yes the graphics are old as poo poo, but there are lots and lots of lovely modern games that have amazing graphics, so that can't be the factor either.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

gepgepgep posted:

I give it 3k peak pop one day this weekend.

Better best is how long until there's a 50 ENC + CLR and/or NEC. I'm guessing 1-2 weeks tops.

I bet by the end of the weekend there will be 50s. Never underestimate the eq power nerd

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'm at lvl 9 on my barb shaman and it's nice to have sow and stuff but there's almost nowhere to go. There are occasional bandit groups in west karana, I tried moving up to north karana and there were like 8 people in zone and almost everything was even con or above. Moved over to south karana and was literally the only person in zone, which felt strange coming from the hellscape of qeynos hills and everfrost.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Tempted to say gently caress my qeynos faction and start holocausting farmers but maaaann.. I feel nerd-bad about it.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
P99 devs working with russian spy terminators have determined that you are currently listening to shake it off while medding. You are banned and also sentenced to death via stoning lol

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

retpocileh posted:

Man I'm torn between not wanting to miss this chance to get a classic experience on a fresh server that I missed when P99 first launched, anddddd not wanting to get sucked back into playing P99 for 8 hours a day to the detriment of everything else in my life like I did last year.

The devil on your shoulder murdered the angel on your shoulder long ago just like the rest of us. Doooo it.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Flip Yr Wig posted:

So what's the level of hate speech enforcement they do? Late night on GFay is getting really cute with their attack helicopter and border jokes, but I bet it's just short of where poo poo gets the hammer.

I haven't noticed anything like that, and I'm a huge nerd who has been playing a whole lot. Granted I'm in the qeynos area, maybe faydwer has always been full of bigots.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

In the past, staff would quash this kind of stuff when it happened, but I would guess that they're swamped enough to ignore most of it unless it gets really blatant or they're on and seeing it happen.

Yeah I mean these guys are literally doing all of this for free, for thousands of people. I guess maybe they can't be bothered to cater to everything I wish they would. P99 should just take the bold step of declaring that nazi genocide racism kill men are bad. Most people think they are good, even if they cloak it in "humor".

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Revamp paw is as unremarkable as original paw. They just notched the level\skillset of the mobs up like ten levels from what I remember. Paw is so ridiculously out of the way even if you CAN bind yourself that it makes almost no sense to go there unless every other possible camp is taken, but hey on green that might actually be the case.

I *do* wish we'd get revamp cazic thule, since nobody will ever go to the classic version, but since it was very early luclin we won't ever get it :( those FT boots tho.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
It's just such a claustrophobic depressing dungeon. At least blackburrow has that bright outdoor area

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I basically picked a server based on where my friends who were defecting from Ultima Online were going. We all converged on Povar.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Darkmoon2k posted:

I played Blue at the beginning of the year and enjoyed the hell out of the experience, but I was unemployed at the time.

The key is finding a cushy office job where you can play everquest while working, like any model employee. I brought a patched up p99 install to work on a thumb drive and play it all the time. "Yes hello client, I will have your google analytics data sent over later this afternoon as I am currently camping jboots lol"

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Happy Hedonist posted:

As much as I'd like to, I'm not playing on it. I played from release until GoD on Fennin, and I know drat well there is no way I could play now that I'm old and have a family.

Hey I'm still waiting to see an episode of dateline that involves everquest so don't give up the dream.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Is there a goon guild on green? 20 sham named Sabbra, I'd like to get guilded up if we have one

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Lmao, okay. I knew about the daniel guild but I wasn't sure how exclusive it was. Makes sense though..

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

moolchaba posted:

I'm so loving tired of this game. FINALLY AFTER 1000000 years I AMFRREEEE

You say that now. Give it time... oh yes.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

soy posted:

Why am I enjoying this game more than any other pve focused mmorpg ever made? To any goons boredly browsing through threads looking for some poo poo to play, play this.

Really picks up once you get around level 8 and start grouping.

Cause eq1 owns baybeh

(just dont neglect your kid if you have a kid while you're playing so that the kid dies which i think actually happened, possibly more than once)

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I went deep into splitpaw with a group the other day, it was a ton of fun and we had basically the whole zone to ourselves. Made nearly a full level. I feel like the amount of time you spend sitting around LFG in the popular zones with high ZEM's is offset by just going to an underused zone and xping there instead.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I played a shaman up to like level 58 on shards of dalaya, and this was about a decade ago, and even then getting to any of the endgame content felt hopeless. Although the content I did get to do was quite fun and good and I was poised to not like it because it's "custom" but that feeling completely evaporated once I started playing

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
They should just combine all classes' skills and spells into one generic class and everyone can play that

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I did sort of notice that right after the merge, but the max pop has kind of leveled out and primetime numbers now aren't much different than green by itself was a couple months ago.

A lot of people have hit 50 and started alts, so you're seeing a lot of level 10s with rubi bps and things like that now, but I'd say all level ranges are still decently populated. My main is a shaman and if I just throw LFG up I'll get invites for groups in HHK\solb\lower guk in no time.

Relayer fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 2, 2020

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I do not like bards. I am fully anti-bard. I've played a bard and it sucked, most bards are annoying if you aren't grouped with them (they're probably running in a circle with like 15 mobs you could kill faster than it takes them to widdle them down with lovely dots), and even in groups I can't think of a single time a wipe hinged on a bard doing a certain thing as opposed to just being absent. gently caress bards. Jack of all trades master of none, with a tendency to be antisocial assholes.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Lazyhound posted:

I tried this and apparently the answer is no, it seems to flag it as a cheat tool.

Also what did you do to this guy:

Lol I just read that exact same post. I laughed pretty hard when I saw that he was recommending keeping this website away from children at all costs

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

EVIL Gibson posted:

its very interesting to see how the thought processes worked back in the day of the creators.

I honestly still have never figured out why falling damage and levitation-descent-rate are tied to the local client framerate, but still communicated to the server. You can actually tell if somebody else's client is running on lovely video hardware, because if they try to levitate-fly over the dreadlands they will descend much faster than other people.

Why would this be the case from a coding standpoint? Especially with regard to a client-server relationship? Does anyone know?

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

suuma posted:

All sorts of games use the framerate to time things. They probably tied up/down levitate bob to match with whatever number of frames the expected fps was for one up/down cycle, so lowering the framerate fucks it up.

If you uncap Bloodborne fps it basically plays in fast forward and breaks tons of poo poo.

Yeah I can see that for a strictly single player game, the really confusing thing for me in EQ is how the client-server relationship observed it. If the client says your character's position is here, the server just accepts it and adjusts you accordingly. It's like the opposite of prediction, the server obeys the client.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
Don't be too harsh on that legends server, they might have honestly had good intentions with it. Probably not, but maybe!

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
That huge kunark boat was the coolest god drat thing I had ever seen when it launched and I loved every buggy second of it

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I'd assume those message boards are a holdover from Ultima Online, since EQ was basically a direct successor to that game, and UO had a pretty robust messaging system at town banks. PK's having cumulative bounties on their heads from their victims donating money to get somebody to loving kill that rear end in a top hat, and you could literally kill the offending player and cut his head off and turn it in for hard cash was one of the coolest aspects of pre-trammel UO.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

aparmenideanmonad posted:

All of which was a holdover from MUDs and even BBSs with door games. EQ has as much or more direct influence from those, though it definitely took some cues from UO as well.

Agreed, they were both ultimately rooted to earlier iterations

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

EQ was not a direct successor to UO in any way, shape, or form. They were in development at the same time

So their respective development periods overlapped, and that means what? You think brad mcquaid and co. never played ultima online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

In what way does big Brad playing UO make EQ a successor to UO? The games are nothing alike beyond being MMORPGs

EQ outstripped UO's subscriber base, was the second widely recognized mmo and... I dunno, just chronologically came after UO. Maybe we have a different definition of the word.