Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I decided to try this out. I never played EQ back in the day (first MMORPG was Anarchy Online). So far I'm very confused by basic UI things like putting buttons on hotbars, and trying to figure out how to trade to NPCs. (Which I eventually did.) There's something charming about a game being so actively hostile to attempts to use it, though. :v:

EDIT: Hey, just figured out how to make a macro, too. Whee!

Kenlon fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Sep 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
And then I almost drowned in the pool near Redfist's Metal in Kaladim before I could get out. :saddowns:

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I'm having way too much fun with this, and I don't know why. Got to 5 off of bard mail quests, joined up with a Crushbone group and spent the rest of the evening killing orcs and running from trains - only got to halfway through level 6 after a couple hours. This should not be fun, and yet it still is.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
A kind goon dropped a bunch of gear on me last night - it's amazing what having a good weapon does for your ability to kill things. Though I did have to root and sit to med a lot (clerics not being solo powerhouses.) I managed to hit 10 and am hoping to pack on a couple more levels tonight so I can maybe go to Unrest and give that place a try. My anti-undead nukes look pretty useful.

EDIT: He also gave me some plat - how much would it cost to get some weight reducing bags? Is that a sane thing to shoot for as a new player?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Orange Red Bull posted:

i started thinking about and being able to afford weight reduction bags around 20 ish on my first character

Hmm. That would chew through all my cash pretty fast. I got a pretty neat helmet/weapon/gloves/rings, but I'm wearing tattered/patchwork in all the other slots. Should I armor up first? And if so, what would be good to try to get?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

gepgepgep posted:

This is going to sound very mean, but groups that have a lot of hybrids cut into your EXP (unless they've adjusted that). So, SKs, Paladins, Rangers, and Bards are all XP sappers. Bards are at least lovely for utility. And if someone is twinked very heavily the speed of kills might outweigh the EXP nerf.

They removed the hybrid penalty last year, according to the wiki. So that's not a thing. I have a decent idea of what stats to look for, the problem is that I have no idea what items actually have them or what good prices for things are. I guess I'm just worried about being ripped off if I go advertising my cluelessness at the EC tunnel.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

That's just a list of every single item that clerics can use, though.

quote:

Here's a life feed of the EC tunnel: http://ahungry.com/eqauctions

Here's a good site that lets you browse goods that are on auction in the tunnel: http://www.p99auctions.com/

Now that's pretty drat awesome. Going to bookmark that.

quote:

Depending on what time you play I could hook you up with some jewelry.

gepgepgep gave me a pair of Golden Fire Wedding rings, which are a pretty big stack of HP for my level.

Like I said, I think it's mostly just my paranoia about trusting sellers to not rip me off - playing EVE for years does that to you. I'll watch the auction scroll for a while, since I have to sit and med a bunch. (Currently soloing at the Chessboard in Butcherblock, hit 11 just a minute ago.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Thanks for the advice - I got about 3/4ths of ten in a Crushbone group, then soloed the Chessboard in Butcherblock to 11.25 and wandered over to Unrest to check it out. I can kill Death Beetles (if I don't pull more than a couple blues or one white), but I'm definitely hoping to do some grouping there tonight. I need to go sell my Crushbone belts at some point, though - I have forty or so of those bagged up in my bank, so I figure I'll go to EC at some point, sell those, and try to get some banded at least.

Thanks for all the advice!