Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Waroduce posted:

Would a live TLP be better community and living wise?
If you want a quick trip through less faithful nostalgia, the latest TLP servers are only a month or two old and are a good option. Also a good option if you have more money than time or need an endpoint (the "what the gently caress is this poo poo" expansions are a nice way to quit).

If you want a more faithful and stable experience with a smaller but more chill community (for leveling) then P99 green is a good bet. Also its free, so you can always try it first and stick around if it suits you.

You'll be largely leveling with alts on both at this point unless you are going to go fast enough to catch up on the TLP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't know what this means, can you explain?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://massivelyop.com/2022/07/30/the-game-archaeologist-that-time-when-everquest-let-you-play-as-the-monsters/

Fun project M article. Being Queen Klacknack in Qeynos with a herd of fire beetle pals doing some star ship troopers reenactment was my personal highlight.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
As far as I know, ring of the dead from thex mallet quest and later the locket of escape from the chief in droga are the only items that let non-casters bind in the classic era.

There are lots of variations on gate potions though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Fyodorovich posted:

Farmed up a Crookstinger for my new Bone Knight on Blue and I’m having a blast, can’t wait to hit 8 and get my proc spell and really start mowing through mobs! I’ve got some decent +HP gear and two 5/55 rings, any fun suggestions for DEX gear to start looking for when I get there? Got about 200pp to start with.
Assuming you mean Shadow Knight!

Other easy to find dex sources for that money are probably Executioner's Hood or Fire Emerald Electrum Bracelets, but the best use of 200 pp would be to buy a better weapon.

There's plenty that should be in budget that also have low level procs if that's floating your boat: iksar berserker club (7/18 1HB) or smoldering brand (9/22 1HB) are probably the best for <200pp.

Venomous Axe of the Velium Brood is the ultimate low level dmg proc weapon but it's out of your price range.

It's worth noting that SKs have a lot of options for good cheap weapons and a lot of weapon skills to keep leveled.

On the opposite side of things as far as procs, Sword of Skyfire (10/22 1HS) has an annoying high level proc but is a great leveling weapon. Poison Wind Censer (20/28 2HB) is in this category also but only functions as 10/28 level 1-9, 14/28 10-19, and hits full after level 20.

Nathsar Greatsword (17/30) or Ornate Runed Blade (19/30) are both great low delay 2HS for keeping that skill up as well.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is the dumbest and coolest classic EQ thing I've heard in awhile.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I'm also learning that the small size of gnomes has some benefits, like being able to fit through the rock door in the Hole without a key and the ability to swim up waterfalls in Mines of Nurga and some other zones.

Not to mention seeing through walls and doors in a lot of places (halflings can do this too).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Really funny when you're trying to hammer out of somewhere dangerous, you finally get a proc and NEWP.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Surprised you got away with Bottomless Pete, that's a good name though.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Antisocial play is already rewarded enough in EQ without having boxing to make it even worse. Boxing is a convenience, and I certainly did it on live, but it ultimately decreases the opportunity for the incidental social interactions that are EQ's real strength. Pick up groups, ports, rezzes, and item transfers are all opportunities for player interaction, and having a community that can provide these things for you consistently is a major reason to get to know people and join a guild even if you don't want to raid. It also changes your attitude toward the rest of the population of your server. Guild vs. guild poo poo can get pretty antisocial, but I have fond memories, especially as a raid puller, of loving around with or helping out people in other guilds because we were buddies from leveling together, doing item or faction camps, pick-up-grouping epic fights, etc.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

riht posted:

i have fond memories of your pulls inside of my massive forehead

Just have to appreciate the double entendre here. I mean, I was absolutely aiming for your head.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Telltolin posted:

Agreed! I often have my focus split and can't reliably group since I will need to randomly AFK for periods of time, so chill soloing spots have carried me all the way to 47. I want to find another good spot, GD/EW is a little intense and it's hard to find a reliably safe place in the zone. I wanted to try spectres in oot since gargoyles carried me a while earlier but they were too close together and mage's lack of CC meant I pulled 3-4 at once every time :( seems like the specs in feerrott and oasis are pretty reliably camped, same with the ludicrously lucrative hill giants in rathe

If anybody's got suggestions for laid back spots I'm all ears, or all forehead since i'm an erudite

No idea how camped OOT seafuries are these days but those are easy to single pull.

Lake Rathe has some 6min respawn NPCs that can be easily and safely farmed. Again, not sure how camped they are.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Taia_Lyfol
https://wiki.project1999.com/Kanthurn

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Iks look amazing in robes and they also have the best 2hs animation. These are just facts.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ruggan posted:

I find that people talk about certain classes not being solo friendly, but is that true at level cap of non-cap content? In other words, can a non-solo leveling class at level 60 still bop around the world soloing 55-and-under stuff trivially?

Very gear dependent for a lot of non-solo classes. 51+ mobs in general are no joke if you don't have a way to mitigate damage since they can summon (slow/fear/pet/being a big tanky boi). A lot of high 40s-50 content can be nasty too especially if you don't have a way to get singles. 46 and under content, sure.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
The two best paladin healing situations I can remember are getting downtime heals from DW hat daring clicky spam (item that can cast a buff for free that heals for about 100hp even when reapplied) and getting mid fight maintenance heals in Velious raids (wave of healing when grouped with other melee DPS who were exposed to dragon AE or spot heals from the level 59 HOT).

Necros actually can heal in groups pretty well too if you want to ever do that, assuming the incoming damage isn't too bursty. They can transfer their own life to people and steal life from mobs to make it up.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lots of the innkeepers in EC and NRo sell water as well. Just look inside the little buildings.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I will not stand for this Goner erasure.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I posted in the MMO chat thread about it, but I can echo this. I hopped on Friday night and, once they opened a few more servers and the initial rush subsided, I had a great time getting my ogre monk kitted out with cracked staves and cloth armor along with two friends. Will definitely be keeping an eye out on further testing opportunities as they get more content developed.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Big congrats, definitely a useful one for solo and groups.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah I would mostly be worried about their decisions (and those of the people they'd bring on as CSR) to enforce any of the less baked-in rules. There are some very novel types of griefing that I can imagine springing up between players on different rulesets, especially in raid environments.

Certainly not a reason to avoid if all you want to do is mess around solo/grouped.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Do you hate yourself in a limited principled kind of way or just in general?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Also if anyone wants to post a new thread or has PQ updates for the first post let me know. Happy to facilitate.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's based on the TAKP EQMac code, but they will be doing time locked progression, 6mo per expansion, starting at vanilla classic and ending with PoP.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422162

I wasn't a fan of Luclin and quit during that expansion originally, partially because I didn't like the power creep and requirement to keep grinding after 60 that came with AAs. But I know lots of people love them and I bet I would be a fan now if I had time to play.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 2, 2023

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Enchanter is flat out the best class to do what you're asking about Ehud, but you may have more opportunities to chill with other classes (though mem blur should be working for awhile still on everything, not sure where PQs mechanics stand on this).

Also I think discussing both P99 and PQ is great for this thread but yeah, maybe try to preface which servers you're talking about before starting a new convo.

On that note, anyone playing PQ interested in providing a blurb for the OP? Any great thread title ideas? If not I'll come up with something boring but functional.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

hasn't it also had a lot of drama of admins selling poo poo on the down low +favoritism + the raid scene being absurdly toxic? never played on it but ive heard rumors

For sure, though the worst of it is ancient history at this point.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

It's amazing that after 20+ years EQ raiding is still full of insane people. You'd think they'd chill out about it after doing it for literally two decades.
It's self-selection bias in its purest form.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean, willingness to address the obvious problems that exist on every classic EQ server isn't bad on the surface. But the inconsistent and ad hoc approach to big system changes will eventually piss a lot of the more hard core people off. It's a race between that and the blatant favoritism really. But it should still be a fun time with a good, active population for most.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Fun blast from the past today - a gmail account I made back in 2010 to support another EqEmu account full of alts to hold extra shiny brass idols for use on pre-Kunark P99 Blue raids is expiring if I don't log back in! This important part of the internet must be preserved for posterity!

I can look back on this kind of stuff fondly now, but man oh man I do not miss it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

knob posted:

I like the idea. It spreads out the initial Iksar rush that is going to happen and forces people to play untwinked. They'll also be capped to level 50 during that month and restricted from entering certain zones. I'm viewing it as a second server launch and am pretty excited about it.

I just can't decide if I'll regret being an iksar shaman (no plate, so no jbb), or if i should just do what everyone else will do and go necro. I'm leaning necro at the moment. I played a cleric for launch and I kind of hate it, so I don't know if I want to spend another 50 levels healing people. The most appealing thing is solo ability later on with things like torpor.

You solo well as a shaman long before torpor, which is good considering it's a L60 spell.

If you want to min/max an Iksar character, pick nec or monk. The powergamer answer for shaman race is and has always been ogre. You get to JBB and you can do it without having to root to avoid getting interrupted. Frontal stun immunity (assuming this is implemented properly on Quarm?) is clutch for a class that frequently relies on facetanking slowed mobs to solo. You have shrink so the massive character model isn't an issue. You do lose out on racial regen, which is meaningful for a shaman IMO only from 51-59. From 1-50 the difference is small and regen spells keep the playing field pretty level. Torpor does the same at 60. Eating a bash that fucks you over and leads to a wipe sucks no matter what level you are.

The real answer is play whichever race you think looks cool.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 30, 2024