Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Left-handed lute
Feb 22, 2015

:911:

With the World Championships coming to Beijing soon, I thought T&F would need some attention, positive or not.
Welcome to the new thread dedicated to athletics/track and field. Feel free to discuss anything about and related to professional/competitive athletics.

Right now, T&F might be headed where pro cycling was some years ago:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33749208

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Here's a nice little article about the manufactured Bolt-Gatlin rivalry ahead of the Worlds:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33666958

The quote at the end sums up the overall feeling surrounding the sport at present - "But what's also important for the sport is that the photo we see at the end is Bolt's hand rising up in victory as he crosses the line because, if it's Gatlin, I don't know where it leads us. No-one knows the ramifications of that."

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its disgraceful gatlin is still allowed to compete after failing drug tests twice

Left-handed lute
Feb 22, 2015
How would one be able to be doping without getting a positive test? Micro-dosing? And then gambling with the possibility of an unannounced out-of-competition test, or just missing the test and covering it up?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Missing the test is the most obvious way of getting away with it. The tests generally have to be done really close to the athlete having doped to catch anything. Look at the recent news about Mo Farah having missed 2 tests in a row. Athletes only get banned if its 3 in a row

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Worth a watch if anyone remains unconvinced about how much of a joke athletics is.

Left-handed lute posted:

How would one be able to be doping without getting a positive test? Micro-dosing? And then gambling with the possibility of an unannounced out-of-competition test, or just missing the test and covering it up?

The public and media have a belief that doping controls are adequate, in reality it provides good PR but only really catches the foolish, desperate or downright unlucky doper. Well funded individuals or teams have access to the best doping doctors and practices available and there are reports of them acquiring compounds in still in testing phases. WADA has to play catch up to an organised and well funded system of providing athletes with performance enhancing drugs and methods to avoid positive test results.

As already mentioned the window to catch athletes micro-dosing is rather small and athletes cannot be tested during the evenings. Certain sports require individuals to be subject to Athlete Biological Passport which tracks blood values over a period of month and years to spot potential blood doping, great in theory but sadly it is not foolproof. Athletes subjected to the ABP sometimes are tested so infrequently that there is a lack of data for a decent blood profile (some controls only gather urine.) Athletes can avoid the chance they are tested during training blocks by going to remote training camps (South Africa appears to be popular atm). National federations responsible for testing the athletes don't have the budget (nor interest) to send personnel regularly to far flung locations.

The documentary I linked shows both Russian and Kenyan national federations helping to cover up positives and it's naive to think state sponsored doping stopped with the fall of the Soviet Union. Often those tasked with policing the athletes have little interest in catching athletes. Why kill their cash cow? Just look at how reluctant Jamaica is about controlling its world star athletes and how easily Mo Farah got a clean bill of health from the Brits. On a global level there is also little incentive for sport federations to catch household names for doping, look at the extent to which the UCI protected Armstrong. Too many positives can lead to the sport losing their place at the Olympics, along with it a significant cash injection. For example, for the inclusion of the discipline of cycling - indoor & outdoor in the London 2012 Games the UCI received 21mil CHF in royalties, making up nearly half of their income for that year.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Jose posted:

Its disgraceful gatlin is still allowed to compete after failing drug tests twice

he's 33 years old and is getting faster (9.74 seconds in doha), faster than he ever was in his twenties. absolutely ludicrous.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I hope Andre De Grasse runs faster than everyone else.

Left-handed lute
Feb 22, 2015
https://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/jo-pavey-set-for-bronze-upgrade-as-elvan-abeylegesse-positive-is-confirmed-30937/
Apparently 28 athletes with retroactive probable doping positives from the 2005 and 2007 WCs.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Left-handed lute posted:

https://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/jo-pavey-set-for-bronze-upgrade-as-elvan-abeylegesse-positive-is-confirmed-30937/
Apparently 28 athletes with retroactive probable doping positives from the 2005 and 2007 WCs.

doped up turks and russians still got sonned by dibaba lol

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

everyone is doping and it's incredibly pathetic

there is no purity in the sport outside of maybe the highschool level

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

bensnotacat posted:

everyone is doping and it's incredibly pathetic

there is no purity in the sport outside of maybe the highschool level

i've got some bad news

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
IAAF acting like the UCI in the Armstrong years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33948924

"There is no problem here! *moves pile of positive tests out of sight* Yes, nothing to see move along!"

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Jose posted:

Missing the test is the most obvious way of getting away with it. The tests generally have to be done really close to the athlete having doped to catch anything. Look at the recent news about Mo Farah having missed 2 tests in a row. Athletes only get banned if its 3 in a row

An athlete missing tests doesn't say anything meaningful about whether they are doping because of how easy they are to miss. Doping is probably still bad right now, but I think it's better than it used to be judging by how infrequently the athletes even get close to breaking any records from the 90s.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Calumanjaro posted:

An athlete missing tests doesn't say anything meaningful about whether they are doping because of how easy they are to miss. Doping is probably still bad right now, but I think it's better than it used to be judging by how infrequently the athletes even get close to breaking any records from the 90s.

There were 55 Olympic records and 24 world records broken at London 2012, most of them in Swimming and Weightlifting. There are a handful of records left from the 80's and 90's in things like hammer and discus and even those are starting to get threatened.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

How the gently caress are the tests easy to miss? All Mo had to do was to be at the location he said he was going to be at the time he said he would be there, and then answer the door.

Left-handed lute
Feb 22, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

There were 55 Olympic records and 24 world records broken at London 2012, most of them in Swimming and Weightlifting. There are a handful of records left from the 80's and 90's in things like hammer and discus and even those are starting to get threatened.
Pick any of the womens' records 100 to 800 m. Not even close to being threatened. Womens' shot put and discus records are complete jokes. Thank god at least 100mh and HJ have been close to being broken.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

How the gently caress are the tests easy to miss? All Mo had to do was to be at the location he said he was going to be at the time he said he would be there, and then answer the door.

I know first hand these tests are easy to miss. I know someone on the list who missed two tests. They were a marginally world class athlete who went to worlds once, still very good but never threatening a final or medal, and i can guarantee 99.99% they weren't doping. You give a time and location a year in advance. If you go shopping for groceries you can miss it. If you go out with your friends you can miss it.

Calumanjaro fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 18, 2015

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

serious gaylord posted:

The only track and field world records broken in London were the 800m and two relays. Recently Dibaba broke the 1500m outdoor record, which was held by an extremely suspicious athlete. Other than that I can't think of any other major records set this year.

Left-handed lute
Feb 22, 2015
Anita Wlodarczyk broke the hammer throw record, but hammer throw it wasn't added to the womens' field events until 1999 or so. IMHO the record would probably have been at least 85m had it been added in the 60-70s.

Left-handed lute fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 18, 2015

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Calumanjaro posted:

I know first hand these tests are easy to miss. I know someone on the list who missed two tests. They were a marginally world class athlete who went to worlds once, still very good but never threatening a final or medal, and i can guarantee 99.99% they weren't doping. You give a time and location a year in advance. If you go shopping for groceries you can miss it. If you go out with your friends you can miss it.

You can update ADAMS for whereabouts at any time up to a minute before the hour starts. This can be done on the website, mobile application, SMS, or email. Even if you absolutely can't wait one hour to go buy some milk and eggs there is no excuse for not complying with the regs.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

HappyCamperGL posted:

You can update ADAMS for whereabouts at any time up to a minute before the hour starts. This can be done on the website, mobile application, SMS, or email. Even if you absolutely can't wait one hour to go buy some milk and eggs there is no excuse for not complying with the regs.

No one updates it that frequently, especially if they know they get 3 strikes. I think you are applying unrealistic expectations that I wouldn't follow, and I doubt you would either.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Also doesnt take into account the chance of emergencies, or even just plain forgetting you'd say you would be at home between 7 and 8am and instead run to the shop to buy milk or whatever. Its incredibly easy to forget to update that system, but because its fine to miss 2 tests in a row theres not much fear about it either.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Could someone who knows what they're on about (ie not me) make a new doping thread?

i mean i could but i'd just quote the OP of the last one

Desetr Eagle
Aug 21, 2015

by Ralp
how often do these guys train on their down time, i mean when you thik about it any time you need to go anywhere you could be running and training right?

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

i will not be happy at all if Justin Gatlin wins 100m or 200m

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

tomorrows (tonights?) events. fucken china. well it starts in a few hours

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

inx posted:

i will not be happy at all if Justin Gatlin wins 100m or 200m

He ran a 9.4 in training.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

He's super clean, running faster now than when he was doping.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
He's effectively outlasted the entire Usain Bolt era, winning 11 years ago including surviving a 4 year ban, which was originally 8, and could have/should have been lifetime.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

what the gently caress

Left-handed lute
Feb 22, 2015

serious gaylord posted:

Converting to hand-time (remove 0.24s) and rounding to the nearest .10 s Bolt's WR is 9.3

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
100m M finals in a couple of minutes, hopefully anyone but Gatlin will take it.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

They've tried to build it up as Bolt vs Gatlin, Good vs Evil etc. but it all points to Gatlin winning at a canter. Enjoy the fallout.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
What is with the Chinese guy trying to play piano?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

HJB posted:

They've tried to build it up as Bolt vs Gatlin, Good vs Evil etc. but it all points to Gatlin winning at a canter. Enjoy the fallout.

Like Bolt is some bastion of clean sport.

Tuiri
Jun 9, 2013
Bolt wins in 9,79 partly thanks to Gatlin for not running as good as he did in the Semi's.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lets all do a big laff at Gatlin having a meltdown over not winning.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Gatlin's a nice guy, he knew how the world would react if he won, to let Bolt win was a huge gesture and that smile of his at the end says it all. It may hurt to lose, but deep down he knows he's done the right thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

bolt rules

• Locked thread