Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitchymcjones
Mar 23, 2006

Okay, your wiener, it's disgusting how it's all gnarled, it's like you stuck it in a hornet's nest!
I'm 30 years old with a bachelors degree in broadcasting and communication studies. I hated working in broadcasting because it's pretty much dead at this point and I only made $8/hr as a production assistant. I got hired right before the digital switch in TV and when the switch happened a lot of positions were cut, so there was absolutely zero room for advancement. I quit eight years ago and never looked back.

Since then, I've been so busy struggling to keep my head above water financially, I haven't been able to give much thought to the future. I became a massage therapist, which I planned to do until I figured out what I wanted to do. Six years after getting to this point, I'm financially ok more or less. The money can be really inconsistent and it is taking a serious toll on my body. I have fibromyalgia and mild arthritis in my wrists. My doctor is strongly encouraging me to quit, but I still have absolutely no idea what I want to do. All I know is I want to make at least $45k a year and I really don't want to be involved in customer service in any way. I have seriously had it with people.

Over the past two years since my diagnosis, I have applied to over 1,000 jobs and only had two legit interviews. My resume has been revised by friends and professional resume services. The next logical step I can see is career counseling, but is that an actual thing or is it like buying snake oil? Is there anything I need to be aware of? Will it be a waste of my time and money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It seems you're at the start of figuring this out. I'd assume that if you sought career advice you'd probably start with the same questions as on this site.
http://www.careers.govt.nz/plan-your-career/not-sure-what-to-do/where-to-start/

Their interactive tool might be useful. I tried it and it suggested a range of engineering, financial and brewing job options. It was pretty accurate.
http://www.careers.govt.nz/tools/careerquest/

I'm assuming there are similar resources available but for a starting point it's as good an anything.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Honestly, I think you should do some online investigation first, and then look into counseling if you're still stumped. I think the information they give you may be equivalent to looking at salary.com or the Bureau of Labor statistics at http://www.bls.gov/ooh/

Do you know what the job market and major employers are like in your area? Do you want to move? Some fields you may not be able to break into without moving, and if you want your job search to be realistic you have to tailor it for the area where you'll be living.

Are you willing to do a certificate course? There are some entry level jobs in medical administration, like medical billers/coders where you can make over $45k/year with room for promotion, and hospitals tend to give decent benefits and a fairly white-collar working environment. Many community colleges offer medical coder courses through their continuing/adult ed programs so the transition can be relatively cheap and the schedules are usually amenable to people who work, as opposed to a traditional student. A lot of people tend to poo-poo community colleges, but many of them are trying to prepare students for actual labor demands in the area so they might be a good resource.

• Locked thread