Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Lincoln Chaffee does not speak with an English accent. He seems very nice and isn't tall like I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005

A what?

Chafey
Jun 14, 2005
i don't feel so good

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Lincoln Chafee: My dad just died, it was my first day, I didn't know who the candidates were

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

point of return posted:

Lincoln Chafee: My dad just died, it was my first day, I didn't know who the candidates were

gently caress you for going back 100000 pages to find this poo poo thread for a poo poo candidate

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Baloogan posted:

gently caress you for going back 100000 pages to find this poo poo thread for a poo poo candidate

Looks like someone can't stand the Chafe :smug:

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
#FeelTheChafe!

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Baloogan posted:

can't strafee the chafee

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

much like Granite his poll numbers don't change

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
after Tuesday's performance the DNC should just ban Chafee from all future debates

in fact honestly after taking a poo poo on national television like that they should have just immediately removed him

get the chaff :ocelot::smugbird: off the stage

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

after Tuesday's performance the DNC should just ban Chafee from all future debates

in fact honestly after taking a poo poo on national television like that they should have just immediately removed him

get the chaff :ocelot::smugbird: off the stage

Is it pronounced like chafe and something is rubbing up in you? Or is it like chaff where you're throwing it out like a hot potato?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
He is sort of a joke

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

A block of granite

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
Didn't the Old Man of the Mountain fall off the mountain?

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
yea

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lote posted:

Is it pronounced like chafe and something is rubbing up in you? Or is it like chaff where you're throwing it out like a hot potato?

pretty sure it's more like chaff

lambeth
Aug 31, 2009
Chaffee's eyes are too big for his head. I spent the whole debate being freaked out by that.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Oh no guys I think the granite's about to crumble...

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/23/lincoln-chafee-to-address-my-future-in-campaign-for-democratic-nomination

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

RIP Chaffee, you were too hood for this world.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
farewell Lincoln 'Meters' Chafee

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Too bad he didn't have enough Megadollars to keep running another hectoday or two.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

frankenfreak posted:

Too bad he didn't have enough Megadollars to keep running another hectoday or two.

This isn't a laughing matter and secondly, gently caress you.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
do you think Lincoln Chafee pays for everything in pennies, dimes, dollars, tens, and Benjamins?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

O'Malley is next

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

etalian posted:

O'Malley is next

O'Malley should be thinking "Chafee and Webb are out, I should leave too" but he's probably thinking "NOW I'LL FINALLY GET SOME ATTENTION" *sits under tree on campus, takes out guitar* *plays Your Body Is a Wonderland*

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

quote:

It was not a recipe for a successful term. Chafee, who took office near the end of the Great Recession, was a distant and unpopular governor, deciding against reelection after polling showed him losing to any serious candidate. His exit from the political scene was welcomed; his decision to run for president inspired a baffled editorial from Rhode Island's biggest newspaper.

"His administration was marked by his persistent refusal to understand or address the state’s economic problems; a bizarre crusade against the use of the words “Christmas tree” to describe the state’s Christmas tree; prickly denunciations of people who challenged his policies; his hustling of a top aide, Richard Licht, into a judgeship, in violation of the spirit of the state’s revolving-door law; and a series of actions that seemed designed only to make life harder for the state’s struggling middle class," wrote the Providence Journal. "The idea that such a dismal record in an executive position would be a recommendation for the presidency (of the United States!) seems preposterous."

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Was Chaffee in charge when RI loaned 38 Studios a truck load of money to convince them to move to Providence and then they went bankrupt?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

Was Chaffee in charge when RI loaned 38 Studios a truck load of money to convince them to move to Providence and then they went bankrupt?

Chafee came in after and wasn't a fan.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

He did gently caress-all about it, though.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

He did gently caress-all about it, though.

chaffee's-entire-presidential-campaign.txt

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

kingdoms of amalur is the best cultural product to ever come out of rhode island

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

That was a really hilarious story.

MLB player got obsessed with MMOs and convinced the state to give him money to make a game, even though he had no previous business/software experience.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

etalian posted:

MLB player got obsessed with MMOs and convinced the state to give him money to make a game, even though he had no previous business/software experience.

drat I wish I could essentially steal millions from a state government.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xenophon posted:

do you think Lincoln Chafee pays for everything in pennies, dimes, dollars, tens, and Benjamins?

Lincoln "Tens & Bens" Chafee

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

It was 75 million too.

The total cost to the state for the bond money and interest to fund the studio was $116 million.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Powercrazy posted:

Seems to have been quite easy too:

quote:

That winter, Rhode Island was on the precipice of economic ruin. Its unemployment rate was pushing up against 12 percent — fourth worst in the nation — and three of its cities were careening toward bankruptcy. Facing term limits, Mr. Carcieri had only months left to do something to arrest the steep decline.

And that’s when Don Carcieri ran into Curt Schilling, the revered former Boston Red Sox ace — the man who had famously bled through a sock while pitching his team to its first World Series title in 86 years. That March, Mr. Carcieri attended a fund-raiser for a prospective documentary at Mr. Schilling’s 25-acre estate in Medfield, Mass. The two men exchanged pleasantries in the living room before the talk turned abruptly to business.

“I said, ‘Well, what are you doing?’ ” Mr. Carcieri recalled when I met him recently, at a Panera Bread in East Greenwich, R.I., his hometown. “And he said, ‘I’ve got this business, this company, creating video games.’ Which I knew nothing about — my grandkids know more about it than I do. But he was describing it. He said: ‘It’s a great little company, it’s growing,’ et cetera. And he was looking to grow it further.”

More to the point, Mr. Schilling let drop that he wasn’t getting much help in Massachusetts when it came to the financing he needed to expand, and he was frustrated. You can imagine the heralding trumpets that must have been blasting in Mr. Carcieri’s ears as he listened to Mr. Schilling dangle hundreds of jobs in front of him.

Within a few weeks, Mr. Schilling, a novice in the gaming field, was wowing other local politicians with his outsize presence and his grand ambitions to build a Microsoft-like behemoth. And soon Rhode Island’s lawmakers were rushing to approve a deal to make the state Mr. Schilling’s angel investor. The tiny, struggling state issued $75 million in bonds so that Mr. Schilling’s company, called 38 Studios, could relocate to Providence and unleash the world’s next killer fantasy game.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/21/business/curt-schilling-rhode-island-and-the-fall-of-38-studios.html

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

Powercrazy posted:

dude went totally broke cause when rhode island wouldnt bail him out he spent his personal fortune to finish the game and turn it into a second rate single player rpg. it was released at the same time as skyrim. and the rest is dust in the wind

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

etalian posted:

That's not quite what happened. They were already working/established in MA and at that point were probably on the right track to being a small game studio until he convinced RI to loan him way more money than he should have received to move to RI and try to become a medium sized game studio. I don't think there were any terrible missteps up until they took on a large loan.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TEAYCHES posted:

dude went totally broke cause when rhode island wouldnt bail him out he spent his personal fortune to finish the game and turn it into a second rate single player rpg. it was released at the same time as skyrim. and the rest is dust in the wind

Yeah Schilling lost 30 million of his own money, while RI is now on the hook for $116 million when you factor in all the bond interest payments.

etalian has issued a correction as of 17:45 on Oct 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Seems to have been quite easy too:

Goddamn

• Locked thread