Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Welcome earthlings to the Awful Book of the Month!
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM me. :siren:

Past Books of the Month
2011:
January: John Keats, Endymion
Febuary/March: Miguel Cervantes, Don Quixote
April: Laurell K. Hamilton, Obsidian Butterfly
May: Richard A. Knaak - Diablo #1: Legacy of Blood
June: Pamela Britton - On The Move
July: Raymond Chandler - The Big Sleep
August: Louis L'Amour - Bendigo Shafter
September: Ian Fleming - Moonraker
October: Ray Bradbury - Something Wicked This Way Comes
November: John Ringo - Ghost
December: James Branch Cabell - Jurgen

2012:
January: G.K. Chesterton - The Man Who Was Thursday
Febuary: M. Somerset Maugham - Of Human Bondage
March: Joseph Heller - Catch-22
April: Zack Parsons - Liminal States
May: Haruki Murakami - Norwegian Wood
June: James Joyce - Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
July: William S. Burroughs - Naked Lunch
August: William Faulkner - The Sound & The Fury
September/October: Leo Tolstoy - War & Peace
November: David Mitchell - Cloud Atlas
December: Kurt Vonnegut - Mother Night

January: Walter M. Miller - A Canticle for Liebowitz
Febuary: Alfred Bester - The Stars My Destination
March: Kazuo Ishiguro - Remains Of The Day
April: Don Delillo - White Noise
May: Anton LeVey - The Satanic Bible
June/July: Susanna Clarke - Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell
August: Michael Swanwick - Stations of the Tide
September: John Wyndham - Day of the Triffids
October: Shirley Jackson - The Haunting of Hill House
November: Iain Banks - The Wasp Factory
December: Roderick Thorp - Nothing Lasts Forever

2014:
January: Ursula K. LeGuin - The Left Hand of Darkness
February: Mikhail Bulgalov - Master & Margarita
March: Richard P. Feynman -- Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
April: James Joyce -- Dubliners
May: Gabriel Garcia Marquez -- 100 Years of Solitude
June: Howard Zinn -- A People's History of the United States
July: Mary Renault -- The Last of the Wine
August: Barbara Tuchtman -- The Guns of August
September: Jane Austen -- Pride and Prejudice
October: Roger Zelazny -- A Night in the Lonesome October
November: John Gardner -- Grendel
December: Christopher Moore -- The Stupidest Angel

2015:
January: Italo Calvino -- Invisible Cities
February: Karl Ove Knausgaard -- My Struggle: Book 1.
March: Knut Hamsun -- Hunger
April: Liu Cixin -- 三体 ( The Three-Body Problem)

May: John Steinbeck -- Cannery Row

Current:

Ta-Nehisi Coates -- Between the World and Me

quote:

An Amazon Best Book of July 2015: Readers of his work in The Atlantic and elsewhere know Ta-Nehisi Coates for his thoughtful and influential writing on race in America. Written as a series of letters to his teenaged son, his new memoir, Between the World and Me, walks us through the course of his life, from the tough neighborhoods of Baltimore in his youth, to Howard University—which Coates dubs “The Mecca” for its revelatory community of black students and teachers—to the broader Meccas of New York and Paris. Coates describes his observations and the evolution of his thinking on race, from Malcolm X to his conclusion that race itself is a fabrication, elemental to the concept of American (white) exceptionalism. Ferguson, Trayvon Martin, and South Carolina are not bumps on the road of progress and harmony, but the results of a systemized, ubiquitous threat to “black bodies” in the form of slavery, police brutality, and mass incarceration. Coates is direct and, as usual, uncommonly insightful and original. There are no wasted words. This is a powerful and exceptional book.--Jon Foro

Paper With Lines posted:

Murica.

I'm about a third of the way through the Coates book. IMO, most people could read it in an afternoon. I'm a very slow reader and it took about an hour and a half to get a third of the way though it.

shrug.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Between the World and Me you group of absolute children

The National Review's Rich Lowry posted:

Moses gave us the Ten Commandments. Paul gave us the epistles. And Ta-Nehisi gave us, Between the World and Me.

The new book by Atlantic writer Ta-Nehisi Coates, in the form of a letter to his son, has been greeted with a rapturous reception that brooks no dissent.

What everyone says about the literary power of Between the World and Me is correct. It is, in part, the story of the creation of a writer, and one with undeniably formidable gifts. But if you refuse to simply stare at the book in wonder as one who admires Michelangelo’s David and subject it to even minimal critical scrutiny, you will realize that it is profoundly silly at times, and morally blinkered throughout. It is a masterly little memoir wrapped in a toxic little Philippic.

[url]http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2015/07/the-toxic-world-view-of-ta-nehisi-coates-120512.html#.Vb731vlVhBd

About the Author

quote:

Ta-Nehisi Coates is a national correspondent at The Atlantic, where he writes about culture, politics, and social issues. He is the author of The Beautiful Struggle and the forthcoming Between the World and Me.

quote:

Coates grew up in Baltimore, Maryland. His father, William Paul Coates, was a Vietnam War veteran and former Black Panther. His mother, Cheryl, was the breadwinner in the family and his father was a stay-at-home dad who ran Black Classic Press, a small publishing house specializing in African-American studies[4] during Ta-Nehisi's childhood.[5] Ta-Nehisi's father had seven children.[6] Coates says that Ta-Nehisi is an Egyptian name for ancient Nubia.[7]

Coates had an interest in books at an early age and his mother punished bad behavior by making him write essays.[8] Coates attended a number of Baltimore-area schools, including Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, before graduating from Woodlawn High School.[9] After high school, he enrolled in Howard University but dropped out to become a journalist.[10][11] He currently resides in Harlem with his wife and son.[12] He is an atheist and a feminist.[13][14][15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ta-Nehisi_Coates

Discussion, Questions & Themes:

Pacing

No pacing or spoiler rules this month. Just read!

References and Further Reading

Open for suggestions.

Final Note:

If you have any suggestions to change, improve or assess the book club generally, please PM or email me -- i.e., keep it out of this thread -- at least until into the last five days of the month, just so we don't derail discussion of the current book with meta-discussion. I do want to hear new ideas though, seriously, so please do actually PM or email me or whatever, or if you can't do either of those things, just hold that thought till the last five days of the month before posting it in this thread. Thanks, and I hope everyone enjoys the book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Just started reading this.

Lovely writing. Implying race isn't real?

Plan to follow up with Beloved, The Invisible Man and The Color Purple.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

The Politico review linked from the OP calls the brief 9/11 passage "monstrous." It's not. It's really good, it's Coates writing according to his injunction to "not struggle for the Dreamers [...] not pin your struggle on their conversion." Throw the rightwingers a giftwrapped bone that lets them dismiss the whole book out of hand, because it's not aimed at them anyway.

But while the audience in this thread probably isn't too fazed by "insufficient 9/11 worship," presumably it's still a predominantly white audience, so before getting into specifics I'm curious how people react to it in a broad sense: given that the book is explicitly unconcerned with trying to "convert" white America, and given that formally it has an audience of one (his son), what do y'all think the point is?

And re: "references and further reading" above, one very obvious/relevant one is Michelle Alexander's The New Jim Crow.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

thehomemaster posted:

Just started reading this.

Lovely writing. Implying race isn't real?

Plan to follow up with Beloved, The Invisible Man and The Color Purple.

Switch out Color Purple for Native Son or Go Tell it on the Mountain

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Grimson posted:

But while the audience in this thread probably isn't too fazed by "insufficient 9/11 worship," presumably it's still a predominantly white audience, so before getting into specifics I'm curious how people react to it in a broad sense: given that the book is explicitly unconcerned with trying to "convert" white America, and given that formally it has an audience of one (his son), what do y'all think the point is?

He had an interesting comment on twitter that more or less acknowledged he knew people would use it against him, but he felt it would be unfair to his own craft to ignore it. Personally, I think the point is how his personal tragedy and the intimacy of the injustice behind it ended up overshadowing the "national" tragedy at the time.

9/11 was a tragedy of the nation, but because of what happened to Prince, he could only feel antipathy towards the nation.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Just in case anyone really takes that Jim Lowry write-up seriously, you might look up who Jim Lowry is.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Cheers.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

thehomemaster posted:

Implying race isn't real?

This is actually a much older idea that Coates. It's actually pretty accurate both historically and genetically. Like Coates said, Jewish and Irish were both not "white" until it became socially convenient to label them so. In the same way the monolithic idea of the black race has just as much genetic diversity within itself as there is between it and other races. Skin color and facial features are actually remarkably insignificant genetic markers.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did you mean Notes of a Native Son? Not trying to be fussy 'cause it's an important distinction.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mira posted:

Did you mean Notes of a Native Son? Not trying to be fussy 'cause it's an important distinction.

Nope I mean the Richard Wright one. He seemed to be doing novels so I recommended Go Tell it on the Mountain instead of Notes or The Fire Next Time.

Really if anyone liked Between the World and Me you should read The Fire Next Time. Ta-Nehisi Coates based the epistolary style off of it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Nope I mean the Richard Wright one.

I actually think Black Boy is a pretty good companion piece to BtWaM. It is also an autobiographical novel that starts when Wright is a child and details how he comes to understand the world around him, eventually growing up and moving someplace safer and finding like minded people but never really escaping that fear or desire to change things.

It is actually super distressing because he grew up in the south in the early 20th century, so he gets smacked around by his family and physically threatened by whites for asking really innocent questions or not answering quick enough, and it takes him awhile to comprehend and come to terms with this reality. I was reminded of the parts about feeling oppressed by his own relatives when I read Coates' description of his relationship with his own parents; how the fear over losing a child can lead parents to try and control that child, beat them, do basically whatever it takes to protect them.

I unfortunately haven't read any Baldwin yet, I will have to put him on my list,.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I actually think Black Boy is a pretty good companion piece to BtWaM. It is also an autobiographical novel that starts when Wright is a child and details how he comes to understand the world around him, eventually growing up and moving someplace safer and finding like minded people but never really escaping that fear or desire to change things.

What I think is good about Beloved (or The Bluest Eye), Native Son, Invisible Man, and Go Tell it on the Mountain as good starting literature is that they are arguably the four strongest books each in their specific meditations on an element of blackness in America.

Native Son wrestles with the elements of blackness that are seen in white culture as leading to criminality
Invisible Man deals with the fluid nature of black identity in a white society
Go Tell it on the Mountain deals with issues within black culture and specifically issues of deviance
Beloved and Bluest Eye deal with issues of gender and aesthetics.

Not to say these books are distinct in their themes, as there is a lot of overlap. Also, of course, its tremendously naive to think the black experience can be isolated into a handful of books. But, if one wanted to build a "black american" canon of fiction I would have to say those four need to go in first.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh sure, and I read Black Boy specifically because of how much I liked Native Son. I was just commenting on how both books are narratively and thematically similar, just separated by 70 years.

I admittedly don't have much experience in this area, I'll need to read the others you suggested.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Yeah well I'm not black, nor American, so those books are the closest I'll get it!

Anyway, I've been reading more and I really dig his style and voice. There's a some nice gems in there. I partiocularly like his opinions on schooling, and how he plays that against life on the streets. What he is describing closely resembles the movies, so I guess that's a point for Hollywood?

Mel Mudkiper posted:

This is actually a much older idea that Coates. It's actually pretty accurate both historically and genetically. Like Coates said, Jewish and Irish were both not "white" until it became socially convenient to label them so. In the same way the monolithic idea of the black race has just as much genetic diversity within itself as there is between it and other races. Skin color and facial features are actually remarkably insignificant genetic markers.

True, I mean I know the idea. It's so very hard to divorce the logic of 'we are all the same' from what you see sometimes, but then what you see has been constructed by the media et al.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm up to the part where he visits Paris. It's hard to really disagree with anything he says. It's also hard to not sometimes read passages in the voice of Huey Freeman. It was really jarring to read him spend the first two-thirds of the book talking about how the struggle justifies itself and then have him say when he gets to Paris that he hadn't read Camus.

So far it seems like, if there is any part of his argument that's debatable, it's his premise in the beginning that he's going to hold America up to its own exalted city-on-the-hill, ideal-of-the-world. "we're #1!", moral paragon ideals. Everywhere else in the book he's unflinchingly honest and realistic, but there, he's not -- and he knows it; he knows that ideal is at best aspirational and at worst a horrible lie and tool of oppression.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Everywhere else in the book he's unflinchingly honest and realistic, but there, he's not -- and he knows it; he knows that ideal is at best aspirational and at worst a horrible lie and tool of oppression.

There are a lot of people who unironically believe America is a uniquely moral and just country in all of human history and it is, not unexpectedly, the same group of people who profit from black exploitation the most.

What really struck me as particularly unique about his perspective in his insistence on using the term "bodies" and completely annihilating the spiritual. So much of what we are taught about black equality movements is always framed in the realm of the spiritual, and to completely renounce that and emphasize the black body as the sum total container of being makes a profound statement.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What really struck me as particularly unique about his perspective in his insistence on using the term "bodies" and completely annihilating the spiritual.

Ah yes totally agree, it's powerful thw way he uses it. I mean, we are meant to be progressive thinkers, so it makes sense to divorce the issue from the religious.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

There are a lot of people who unironically believe America is a uniquely moral and just country in all of human history and it is, not unexpectedly, the same group of people who profit from black exploitation the most.

Oh yes! But are those people the intended audience of this book? Does that matter? Maybe he just feels the point needs to be made regardless.

quote:

What really struck me as particularly unique about his perspective in his insistence on using the term "bodies" and completely annihilating the spiritual. So much of what we are taught about black equality movements is always framed in the realm of the spiritual, and to completely renounce that and emphasize the black body as the sum total container of being makes a profound statement.

Yeah, that's a good point. I think I was paying so much attention to the parallels with Camus to realize how strongly his atheism, focus on immediate physical struggle, etc., should be read in comparison with the passages about rejection of black spirituality.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Oh yes! But are those people the intended audience of this book? Does that matter? Maybe he just feels the point needs to be made regardless.

I think the question of audience here is an interesting one. There are excerpts that seem very intended for people who share his beliefs, others that are for people who have never thought about race before, some for blacks who have never lived in poverty, and others for seemingly no audience outside of his need to give voice to his ideas.

It genuinely reads like a complete reflection of lifetime's struggles with race more than a specific treatise to any particular group or goal.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah - the "black bodies" terminology is another thing that's certainly older than Coates, but his usage in a steadfastly atheist/materialist framework gives it a very different resonance. Ordinarily you'd be talking about objectification - people being reduced to their bodies - but here Coates insists upon that reduction himself, rather than identifying it as an evil.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grimson posted:

Yeah - the "black bodies" terminology is another thing that's certainly older than Coates, but his usage in a steadfastly atheist/materialist framework gives it a very different resonance. Ordinarily you'd be talking about objectification - people being reduced to their bodies - but here Coates insists upon that reduction himself, rather than identifying it as an evil.

I am not sure its so much a reduction of Coates as a person to simply his body, but instead an expansion of what the idea of a body constitutes.

He seems to be using body not as a reduction, but as a way to force people to confront that the entirety of a person is a biological extension of the body that they inhabit. There is no "self" beyond the material. When a black man is gunned down, its not simply his shell being destroyed. The absolute totality of his being is annihilated. He doesn't want to diffuse the evils of violence with any sense of spirit or soul. To lose the body IS to lose the self.

He suggests as much when talking about his ambivalence towards the heroes of nonviolent resistance vs. his admiration of the militant activists. Suggesting the destruction of the body is morally commendable is horrifying because it is placing a lesser value on one's own being.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

He suggests as much when talking about his ambivalence towards the heroes of nonviolent resistance vs. his admiration of the militant activists. Suggesting the destruction of the body is morally commendable is horrifying because it is placing a lesser value on one's own being.
And in addition to placing lesser value on one's own being, it can also be an obstacle to grasping the full magnitude of the horror suffered by people in the past, as he emphasizes with the injunction not to view those people as part of a narrative leading up to the present vantage point. They weren't players in a historic drama with a coherent moral arc - they were their bodies, and their bodies were exploited and destroyed.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Grimson posted:

And in addition to placing lesser value on one's own being, it can also be an obstacle to grasping the full magnitude of the horror suffered by people in the past, as he emphasizes with the injunction not to view those people as part of a narrative leading up to the present vantage point. They weren't players in a historic drama with a coherent moral arc - they were their bodies, and their bodies were exploited and destroyed.

Great point. One of the privileges of being white is that, for me at least, it's easy to see progress in terms of history because it doesn't affect me personally.

Take gay marriage. I could never honestly feel the need for change as passionately as an LGBT person because I think I saw it as something that would inevitably happen. But that idea ignored the fact that there were people right now suffering from the injustice and the assumption it would eventually end was meaningless as a remedy to that suffering.

I think about the recent neo confederate talking point that slavery would have naturally ended eventually. It is telling that these people honestly see the fact that at least a whole nother generation of people would have lived in perpetual bondage as somehow morally neutral. The reality of their suffering as a contemporary reality was nullified by the assumption of eventual progress. It's sickening.

It is important for those, like myself, in a privileged position to be reminded that the ideas we hold are not ethereal. If we fail to act now, that is a group of people forced to suffer materially for their entire brief existence.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Interesting points about 'black lives matter' http://pjmedia.com/spengler/2015/06/15/genosuicide-and-its-causes/

I mean interesting in terms of it being a male thing, not a race thing, where males fight for their rights, and die in droves.

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks
Comparing a systemic issue of prejudice to an organized , if violent, mass action with clear goals and a leader (war) seems really dishonest. It seems like he spends the entire article saying hey I know black people have it bad (citing murder rate) then goes all over the place to finally say Hey maybe those police being there are good. As if people protesting are angry about the police existing period, instead of the issues of police oversight , profiling etc. It really feels way too simple of an article "the imposition of majority rule in Iraq is that the sad, oppressive, old regime is better than any possible improvement". Are there reasons that the old regime was better in some ways , ie americans came in and dismissed everyone from the army and those people somehow ended up as insurgents.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

thehomemaster posted:

Interesting points about 'black lives matter' http://pjmedia.com/spengler/2015/06/15/genosuicide-and-its-causes/

I mean interesting in terms of it being a male thing, not a race thing, where males fight for their rights, and die in droves.

Eh, this is classic old white man projection. Rather than acknowledge the role he plays in the construction of system that allows black men to die in droves, he blames the black men for dying.

Coates references this briefly in the book but talks more about it in some of his other writings. The "ghetto" and the "streets" are white political inventions. The congested and segregated neighborhoods of poor urban blacks were a conscious and deliberate design by those people in power. The violence inherent in those constructions is the purpose of them. Its a manufactured and fundamentally dishonest system of presenting young black men as solely responsible for their own situation.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It genuinely reads like a complete reflection of lifetime's struggles with race more than a specific treatise to any particular group or goal.

That's how I read the book, too. Just about every situation he depicts to his son, he inevitably frames it within this constant battle. Even something as simple as a family trip abroad.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

ulvir posted:

That's how I read the book, too. Just about every situation he depicts to his son, he inevitably frames it within this constant battle. Even something as simple as a family trip abroad.

Some shithead I forget where had a big thing about the escalator story in New York. He said Coates was too race-obsessed because he assumed the treatment he and his son received was because he was black and not that the other person was just an rear end in a top hat.

But I think it underlies how little we look at our own privilege. One of the unique privileges of whiteness is that we can assume all interactions are neutral. If someone is rude to us, we can assume its because of who they are, not because of who we are. But minorities in the US don't get that opportunity. Their minority status is so ingrained into people's interactions with them that there is no clean way to separate their blackness from the other persons' rudeness.

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt
I am really suffering from the lack of delivery, loving cz, so I will start reading in a week or so, hope it's as interesting as you guys say.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

sajobi posted:

I am really suffering from the lack of delivery, loving cz, so I will start reading in a week or so, hope it's as interesting as you guys say.

I found it really enlightening myself, actually. The really distinct and explicist primary discourse-type narrative helped a lot in making the message sound clear, IMO. Hope you enjoy it.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I'd say that even if you don't agree with his basic premise, it can easily be treated like Stephen King's On Writing, which is really just the lyrical autobiography of a writer. It's really short, is pleasurable to read in a prose sense imho, and has given me some knew mental tools (which would probably really be helping Bernie Sanders right now for instance LOL, since black lives matter protesters shut him down in Seattle a night or two ago.)

thehomemaster posted:

:ughh: I hope you're just trolling. I forget since this thread is roughly one page long but, do we need to bring out the dinner table analogy again?

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 10, 2015

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Well I don't know that analogy so do go on?

I'm just up to the bit about the Civil War, it's a very disturbing read, yet enjoyable on the sentence level. Really puts me at odds.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Coates has a By The Book on NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/books/review/ta-nehisi-coates-by-the-book.html

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Not sure how I feel about this sentence:

'Part of me thinks that your very vulnerability brings you closer to the meaning of life, just as for others, the quest to believe oneself white divides them from it.'

Like, am I white or do I just believe I am (will myself to be) white? Am I missing out on life by not being a minority? But then I realise this text isn't for me.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

thehomemaster posted:

Not sure how I feel about this sentence:

'Part of me thinks that your very vulnerability brings you closer to the meaning of life, just as for others, the quest to believe oneself white divides them from it.'

Like, am I white or do I just believe I am (will myself to be) white? Am I missing out on life by not being a minority? But then I realise this text isn't for me.

Given Coates' insistently physical/materialistic perspective, I think it's a mistake to take "the meaning of life" with its typical loose spiritual connotation of being something fulfilling. The next sentence in the passage is clarifying: "The fact is that despite their dreams, their lives are also not inviolable."

He's saying that the truth of life is that it's chaotic, fragile, and contingent - and suggesting that because black bodies are treated as expendable, maybe Samori is therefore positioned closer to that truth. I wouldn't talk about that in terms of "missing out" - not any moreso than you'd talk about "missing out" on car wrecks if you've never been in one.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
Yeah I guess.

Thing that bugs me is that a) I know the facts of this already so not learning anything and b) I don't have anything from which to anchor my perceptions. It's not changing my mind per se, I agree with him, and yet I can't relate to him.

The only thing I can do is appreciate it on the sentence level, and also appreciate the outpouring within it.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I'm also waiting on the book, but I read this interview. Loved what he said about MacBeth.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Look at us, ahead of the curve:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/07/between-the-world-and-me-book-club-the-story-not-told/399605/

http://www.npr.org/books/titles/421479495/between-the-world-and-me

https://www.facebook.com/nprbooks/posts/1074796205883637

http://www.hypable.com/president-obama-summer-reading-list/

Aside: are we still good with Moonstone for next month?

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 15, 2015

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
I read this in two close sessions last night and boy is it relentless. I realise that it's an epistolary novel but it almost read more like a speech to me, like one of the old published presidential monologues. It has that same sense of poetic rhythm to the way it relays these potent, bracing facts. I finished it feeling like I needed to go back and start it again, but now I'm wondering if the audio version read by Coates himself might not be the better option given that style.

As a white Australian, a total dreamer, I'm alienated from the content somewhat but I didn't have too big an issue with that fact. People seem perturbed by the notion of this books audience when its pretty clearly written for his son and thus for everyone of this upcoming generation. Not a guide or prescription , just personal wisdom passed down from one generation to the next to maybe help them come up with their own plan, their own path of struggle. This doesn't mean that it can't speak to us, just that he wasn't aiming too, just as Tolstoy wasn't aiming to move the Zulu's but probably did some. The second half of the book is just him telling his single, human story which should work for everyone to some extent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sajobi
Feb 7, 2015

Close the world, Open the nExt

Aside: are we still good with Moonstone for next month?

drat, I must have missed voting regarding moonstone?

• Locked thread