Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hemophilia posted:

A whole bunch of social issues that ended up being decided by the supreme court in some major fashion in the last century. Basically anyone who cares about Roe V. Wade still on either side of it is tilting at windmills and that poo poo is actually less important than gun control which you can do things with up to some degree before you start infringing on the 2nd amendment as interpreted by some imaginary SCOTUS containing Scalia and 8 of his clones.

Agreed like being upset about District of Columbia v. Heller, that is pretty much as fringe as you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Powercrazy posted:

Sorry Crossbows are scary enough that they are regulated with state gun laws.

I only recognize the Pope's law on crossbows.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Seeing this thread made me realize that they did not talk about guns once in the Republican debate, even though Trump has previously supported banning certain guns, so maybe you're right op

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

joe football posted:

Seeing this thread made me realize that they did not talk about guns once in the Republican debate, even though Trump has previously supported banning certain guns, so maybe you're right op

They will be an Important Issue to the Democrat debates though. For some stupid reason. On the plus side, I don't think we will need to worry about Serious Discussions of what God says to the candidates on a daily basis.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

joe football posted:

“I don’t want my marriage or my guns registered in Washington.” -- Rand Paul

I mean, no one asked him about guns, but he brought it up, anyway.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Keystone XL pipeline

It was loving stupid when oil was $110 a barrel, it's even dumber now.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
cyberbullying, you can tell just by looking at the people who care about it

specifically they should be bullied off the internet

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

You should care about guns because they have been used to swing elections. Crazies have been conditioned to believe that all democrats want to take their guns away like the soviets in Red Dawn.

It's a dumb issue but one that is one of like thee cultural wedges the republicans have left.

Edit: George W Bush won in 2000 partially because some democrats flipped on the issue of the Clinton assault weapons ban. Since then, no democrat has raised the issue of guns for fear of losing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
And yet that doesn't stop idiot democrats from bringing up gun control whenever they can, like I'm almost certain they will at the debates. The presidency is the democrats to lose, and if everytime they get an opportunity to pass legislation they immediately go for gun control instead of literally anything else they deserve it.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Civil Rights
Education
Energy Independence
Environment
Health Care
Immigration Reform
Retirement Security
Science and Technology
Voting Rights

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Civil Rights
Education
Energy Independence
Environment
Health Care
Immigration Reform
Retirement Security
Science and Technology
Voting Rights

:smith:

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
:911:

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
As a politician, I promise I will take away guns in exchange for tax cuts then I'll give back guns in exchange for tax cuts then I'll take away guns in exchange for removing your civil rights then I'll give back guns in exchange for a starting a war and then I'll take away guns in exchange for privatizing Social Security and then I'll give back guns in exchange for ending environment regulations and then I'll take away guns in exchange for outlawing abortion and then I'll give back guns in exchange for ending unions and then I'll take away guns in exchange for police murdering people and then I'll give back guns in exchange for...

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Commie NedFlanders posted:

atheists crying about religious displays and stuff

it's literally someone being upset about a threat that they themselves consider imaginary and fake

This got the Church of Satan to troll evangelicals with a :black101: public Baphomet statute so it should remain an important issue

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've in favor of gun control because it leads to videos on liveleak of republican voters getting dirtnapped by SWAT teams, and I can't get enough of those videos.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
I remember reading somewhere important that because we need a militia to defend the state, we can't get rid of guns. I think once we find another way to defend the state we can do whatever, though.

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
gently caress the state

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Going back to a gold standard.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

gently caress the state

nsf001
smashthestate

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Constitution says they can take all our guns and issue US Militia halberds.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I mean, why shoot up a movie theater when you can lay siege to it?

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

I mean, why shoot up a movie theater when you can lay siege to it?

I'm pretty sure movie theater popcorn butter has enough calories to sustain a population of several hundred for years.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

hemophilia posted:

A whole bunch of social issues that ended up being decided by the supreme court in some major fashion in the last century. Basically anyone who cares about Roe V. Wade still on either side of it is tilting at windmills and that poo poo is actually less important than gun control which you can do things with up to some degree before you start infringing on the 2nd amendment as interpreted by some imaginary SCOTUS containing Scalia and 8 of his clones.

Actually abortion rights have been significantly scaled back in many states since that decision while gun rights have expanded pretty much everywhere.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Almost none of that poo poo that's curtailing abortion rights is holding up in court right now. One in Texas recently got kicked to the curb and one somewhere else too, within the last couple of months.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot
The only issue that is more pointless than gun control is the national debt.

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB

hemophilia posted:

Almost none of that poo poo that's curtailing abortion rights is holding up in court right now. One in Texas recently got kicked to the curb and one somewhere else too, within the last couple of months.

This is extremely untrue in Texas, the largest restriction here (Texas HB2 from 2013) has had many of its provisions upheld, closing down all but about 8 abortion providers in the whole state. The last sweeping provision (admitting privileges and surgical center standards) was upheld by the 5th circuit, which would close all but 2 or 3 centers. The SC issued a stay on implementation, but HB2 hasn't been struck down at all. The amount of extra bullshit heaped around the process in Texas now is absolutely egregious and seriously impacts a huge number of low income women who can't afford the multiple appointments, waiting periods and artificially jacked up prices.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

City of Tampa posted:

The only issue that is more pointless than gun control is the national debt.

We should just cut all taxes and run the debt to 100 trillion.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

Oceanlife posted:

We should just cut all taxes and run the debt to 100 trillion.

why shouldn't we?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
fun patrol

Hermano
Oct 23, 2008
legalizing weed

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Doulos posted:

This is extremely untrue in Texas, the largest restriction here (Texas HB2 from 2013) has had many of its provisions upheld, closing down all but about 8 abortion providers in the whole state. The last sweeping provision (admitting privileges and surgical center standards) was upheld by the 5th circuit, which would close all but 2 or 3 centers. The SC issued a stay on implementation, but HB2 hasn't been struck down at all. The amount of extra bullshit heaped around the process in Texas now is absolutely egregious and seriously impacts a huge number of low income women who can't afford the multiple appointments, waiting periods and artificially jacked up prices.

Yea but what about that guy who killed that other guy with a gun?

Kidsolo
Dec 4, 2006

Give the dog a bone

Powercrazy posted:

Here is a subset of issues that are of similar importance but all of them have some merit that puts them head and shoulders above "gun control". Feel free to discuss frivolous social touchstone issues itt.

• Animal Rights
  • Cyber-bullying
  • Defense of traditional Marriage
  • Family Values
  • Religious Freedom (Christianity under attack!!!)
  • The Transportation Security Administration screening practices.
  • Your rear end or a Hole in the Ground.

Note that this NOT a thread to discuss Gun Control, because lol why the gently caress would anyone care about that.

Gun Nut spotted

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
MTV doesnt show music videos anymore!!!!!!!!

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
If a republican wins we'll be at war with Iran by the end of his first term.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Kidsolo posted:

Gun Nut spotted

Your accusatory tone makes it sound like you have some Strong Opinions, re: Guns. why is that?

Fat Ogre
Dec 31, 2007

Guns don't kill people.

I do.
My non binary gendered robot dog wanted to get gay married, and someone called him a fag on social media.

Truly, we need laws to stop cyber bullying of cyber pets.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

LegoPirateNinja posted:

If a republican wins we'll be at war with Iran by the end of his first term.

If Hillary wins we'll be at war with Syria by the end of her first year.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

City of Tampa posted:

If Hillary wins we'll be at war with Syria by the end of her first year.

loving sucks.

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004
Trump is the only choice to avoid war.

He will just make us "Great" deals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I figured out an issue less important then Gun Control--Adopting the Metric System.

• Locked thread