Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
More comics!

Black Legacy is a disturbing sci-fi that is unfortunately still in the prologue stages. Wonderful art but there's lots of body horror so NSFW.

Serious Engineering A goon-made comic about a kid accidentally joining a dangerous medical mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Donna Barr drew this as a thank you for you guys being so nice to her a couple years ago.
I think it's sweet.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pyroclastic posted:

That link seems to be dead. It redirects to a comic-not-found on comicfury.com.

Oops.

The artist changed the name of the comic.

Link: Humming Birds

It's actually getting pretty badass.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Tom Preston has disappeared from Deviant Art. His presence on the internet is felt but not seen.

He is known to take new personas and projects. Indeed, the name "Tom Preston" is a pseudonym.

Is this his newest filth puddle?

Random Battles

It carries much of his stink - the all-female cast, lesbians, ugly same-face art with big white eyes and huge upper lips, the inability to express movement, flat humor, and characters more stock than a retail center's back room.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
(Stolen from creepy pics thread, thought it belonged here, too)

http://bunnymeat.thecomicseries.com/comics/

Bunny Meat is a webcomic where people send in their childhood traumas and the cartoonist draws them like Cat Soup. There aren't many in the archive yet but it updates every couple days or so. Neat concept. Something about the scribbly drawings makes it more uncomfortable.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I thought this one was kinda funny in that 'weird thing kids do' sort of way, but most are dark as hell.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

This is a work of art.

The author has a bunch of other comics he works on, located here: http://comicfury.com/profile.php?username=SVeidt

New Bunny Meat:

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jan 6, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Because I have been waiting for something like this since Pictures for Sad Children got nuked. Where do I go to submit my own childhood trauma?

Apparently you can leave a comment or send him a note on his Deviant Art account.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
I did that because I want to get honest opinions. I've learned from experience that if you come in going "look at my stuff" no one will give you the right kind of criticism you need to get better. SA is great at voicing useful criticism, as seen with Tyson Hesse's experiences, and there aren't any better places to go for some straight truth than SA.

Unfortunately, there's a stigma against self-promotion, especially here. I tried it before here at least twice and was ignored like a plague, making me confused as to whether my work was just extremely boring or if no one wanted to talk about it if they knew the artist is reading along. It was no help at all.

But by going 'oh hey here's a thing' just now I got several genuine, honest responses I can now use to be a better artist that never happened before.

Sorry for the deception there. There was no intention to upset anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I care a great deal about feedback because I want to be good at what I do, and it's a lot harder to get real people's opinions that it looks.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Oh good I can just ask you directly. I noticed that the main character seems consistent across all the stories. Is this all supposed to be happening to one person (maybe "Megumi Tomoe")? Shall I select for personal trauma that would be consistent with the speaker being a girl?

Sure!

The main bunny is more like an actor recreating the stories for the comic. There's no continuity since a lot of stories are from different people (some readers have given me several stories, which was great).

The stories can be from the perspective of any gender. The characters are simple enough to play around with.

Megumi is a character from Serious Engineering . She's a cartoonist whose work became a cult classic after she died in an accident. Her boyfriend, who is one of the main cast, witnessed her death and tells us her story in an interview for an anniversary biography. It's rough for him seeing her photos and comics in bookstores and in posters and he thinks helping out with the biography will give him some closure.

I wanted to make actual Bunny Meat strips to make that part of the comic feel more 'real'. People started sending me their own traumas (which is great since I ran out of my own after the first few strips) and it gained a life of it's own.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Megazver posted:

It's not a character, it's the name the strips are signed with. Which is pretty loving weeb, sorry.

Megumi IS a character. I explained it a couple of posts before yours.

Here's the post again in case you didn't catch it:

Plethora posted:

Megumi is a character from Serious Engineering . She's a cartoonist whose work became a cult classic after she died in an accident. Her boyfriend, who is one of the main cast, witnessed her death and tells us her story in an interview for an anniversary biography. It's rough for him seeing her photos and comics in bookstores and in posters and he thinks helping out with the biography will give him some closure.

The story takes place in Vancouver, which has a relatively high Japanese and Chinese population. Her heritage makes sense for the setting. She's not even a main character - the main cast is an African American woman, a Ukrainian Jew, a biracial Mexican, and his Czech boyfriend. I'm not terribly interested in Japanese culture and stuff - I don't even like anime all that much. I'm way more interested in Western comics and animation since there's generally more variety in styles. I DO like Cat Soup and the weird stories about the creator, though, which led to Megumi's creation.

Here's an old drawing of her:

Edit: Thanks for the support Renaissance Robot, Jackard, ChairMaster and Oxxidation. You guys are what it's all about.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 11, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Newest Bunny Meat with a story from an SA contributor!

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one up.

Thank you all SO MUCH for the influx of stories! I like that many of them are more "profound moments in childhood" rather than traumas, which I think are equally as interesting.

I was sent one HELL of a dark story this morning and I'm trying to think of how to present it. Luckily the author didn't experience it herself but heard it second-hand when people didn't know she was listening, but hot drat it's rough. I'll be posting it sometime next week with a warning label on it.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Hmmm, that one would have been better if the author had been less preachy at the end.

Agreed. I know he would have complained if I didn't have it there, though. I'll put the kibosh on preaching requests in the future.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pavlov posted:

Even just abridging it would have helped, like:

"That day I learned: How to sit down and shut up. It remains a useful skill."

Not sure how far you want to take your creative liberties with these though.

I approve of this suggestion.

I'm heading off to alter it.

Wish me luck, as I currently have an inbox full of personal tragedy.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Sepherothic posted:

Hi folks. I'm just getting rolling with a webcomic and wouldn't mind some critique.

I wrote one, but it got pretty long. I'll send it to you in a pm.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Another SomethingAwful story. Thanks Pavlov!

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one! Lots of new stories were submitted, which is super great.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

I'm so glad you like it! Folks like you and Pavlov keep this series going.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Dabir posted:

Please stop posting Bunny Meat strips in this thread, just link to them or something christ.

Sure thing. I'll only post links now.

Sorry about that.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think there's nothing wrong with posting images, personally (although we probably don't need to see every last one). You can always timg them to be considerate to those with a more delicate disposition.

Will do. I'll start timg-ing them from now on.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New Bunny Meat.

This one is funny and not disturbing, so no worries:

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

You've lost your edge, man. :colbert:

Oh dear, that's not good. I need to get more uncomfortable stories then.
I'd use my own stories but that would kind of defeat the point of the comic.

Edit: Fletcher Hanks' work scares the poo poo out of me. I bought the first collected volume of his and it was looking into the dreamworld of a truly unhealthy mind. While I love reading and seeing the artwork made by mentally unstable people, he makes me feel genuinely ill.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 7, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Renaissance Robot posted:

The ones that end on a flat note like these last two are the best imo, because it throws the hosed upedness of the rest of it into relief without directly saying "this really messed me up, here's how I felt afterwards..." (a couple of the strips do actually do that, and they're definitely weaker for it)

This is really good advice. I'll keep this up in future comics.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
New one:

Neat Bunny Meat related stuff from fans:

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Feb 10, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

rndmnmbr posted:

So how do I submit stories for Bunny Meat? Because I have a doozy.

Lots of ways. Send me a PM, a note on DeviantArt, or on the Bunny Meat website through the PMs or as a comment.

Also, another fan art:

This person is from the Philippines and sent nine different stories about his abusive mother. The first one he sent was so graphically violent I refused to add it to the queue.
I've already had to reject two stories due to violence and there's one I'm hard-pressed not to use due to the content being just a tad too disturbing, but the story is just so dang interesting I'm conflicted.
I imagine this will happen rather often with this project, which is cool since that's kinda the point. It does have limits, though. I'm not going to have any direct sexual abuse or graphic violence, though it's already come close in two occasions.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Tollymain posted:

ok maybe it's time to stop posting those directly into this thread

Why? Should we post links only?
I'll start posting links from now on then.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
You guys are the best.

I'll keep it up.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Seeing that this thread is pretty slow moving, I would like to suggest some comics to look through.
My apologies if these have already come up in this or previous threads.

Ectopiary by the wonderful Hans Rickheit

http://ectopiary.webcomic.ws/

Bone Realm by Micah

http://bonerealm.thecomicseries.com/comics/43/

Sin Titulo by Cameron Stewart

http://www.sintitulocomic.com/

All my other favorites you guys already know about, like Whomp. ESPECIALLY Whomp.
btw if you pledge $1 or more to Ronnie's Patreon you'll get all the comics early and can comment on them. His weekly newsletters are hilarious.

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Feb 12, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

World Famous W posted:

Oh poo poo, did that get finished? I remember reading it awhile ago and it sat in limbo for so long I stopped checking it. Guess I need to read it again now.

Yeah it did! It tied everything together really well, actually.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's a fantastically written, extremely well-drawn depiction of the experience of being a directionless middle-class twentysomething in New York City, which happens to be the most exhaustively explored human experience in the history of english literature barring maybe being an author with writer's block, and possibly the least interesting

This is perfection.

More comics! This time from DeviantArt!

The Veligent by Reptangle

Beautifully drawn fantasy story with lots of cute critters. LOOK AT THOSE COLORS!!
http://reptangle.deviantart.com/art/Cover-of-The-Veligent-color-version-588552136

Dead Tree by James Johnson, aka MutantComix

I love this artist. He's silly as all hell and everything he makes has this Troma level of self-mockery. One of the main characters is a robot skeleton with a massive spiky robot dick exposed at all times.
http://mutantcomix.deviantart.com/art/Dead-Tree-Page-01-449212749

Chancellor Autopsy by AutopsyJuice

This author is comedy gold and one hell of a great artist. I don't really understand what the plot of her comic is but the art and humor are just too charming.
http://autopsyjuice.deviantart.com/gallery/55571068/Chancellor-Autopsy

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Benagain posted:

It's great living in Chicago because no one will ever get sick of your stories about how awesome the city is. Primarily because they will never let you tell them and instead begin talking about shootings, political corruption, and how your beloved home is a symbol of everything wrong in the country from either a left or right perspective.

It's great living in Prague because no one talks about how great the city is. They ask how much you know about the Czech Republic and then laugh because almost nothing is exported no one on the outside knows much of anything. Then they tell you about how Vin Diesel is a douche for breaking something on the Charles Bridge one time and the American version of Budweiser is bullshit.

Also, Puck! by ElectricGecko

Goofball romp with absurdly hot legendary fairies and demigoddesses. Also, the author is one of the nicest guys ever.
http://www.puckcomics.com/

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

I thought they had a clay golem or something going on there.

We have an army of drunk dads armed with pork products to defend us.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Pick posted:

Prague is the only place I associate with genuine happiness, wish I still lived there but congrats that you do.

Thanks, and same. It's full of people who have seen the worst society has to offer (Nazi concentration camps, Soviet occupation, etc) and they survived it by sheer determination and moxy. They've earned happiness. I'm immigrating here from the USA since, well, the USA isn't the most welcoming of places if you're not rich.

Anyway, Floraverse!

http://floraverse.com/comic/try-try-again/421-here-goes-nothing-p11/

To be honest, I don't really care for the story or the weird kinda-furry-but-not-quite characters, but look at that page layout! I always feel like I can learn something from it.

Edit: Almost forgot the link

Mr.Chill fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Feb 14, 2016

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Jedit posted:

That being the one where the author goes "HA! You thought you were reading a fantasy comic, but actually it's a JESUS comic about how all these fantasy people persecute Christians! Here, have a Bible quote!, right? I wish you'd just said that from the start. It would have saved me a lot of time reading it.

It's not like we don't have a wildly successful fantasy series that helped set the bar for the genre's standards that expertly merged Christian mythos with Pagan imagery or anything, beloved by generations of kids and adults regardless of religious beliefs. I mean, there's no way those two could be merged into something everyone can enjoy, right?

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Tollymain posted:

i would argue that even narnia was obnoxious with its portrayal of religion; you have the good righteous christians and then the evil human-sacrificing (brown) non-christian people down to the south and east whoops

i'm not sure what it is but the story concept of christianity as good just generally doesn't seem to inspire writing interesting to anybody who isn't already pretty invested in christianity

I honestly don't remember that in Narnia. I DO remember the hilariously self-critical sections, particularly the entire last book where a donkey and baboon dress up like Aslan and trick his followers into doing what they want, which is an obvious metaphor for lovely Christians pretending to know God's demands and abusing the hell out of the public. Not to mention the number of times Aslan fails his people and everything falls to garbage, showing that not even deities are perfect.

It was critical of ALL religions and theological philosophy, actually.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would read a comic about Jesus suplexing people.

http://jesuschriststory.com/
Jesus Christ: In the Name of the Gun

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

JuniperCake posted:

TenNapel says pretty awful, approaching Dave Sims (in offensiveness) level poo poo though so I don't blame you for being leery. I don't think your assessment is unfair at all in that respect. Doesn't mean this author is going to end up the same way though. Her comic seems good so far.

I wasn't aware of TenNapel being a bigot and looked it up. I'm really sorry to hear he's like that. What a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
http://jessemoynihan.com/
To whomever suggested Forming, thank you. This poo poo is amazing.

• Locked thread