Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So for the last two weeks in Demon, we've been watching yet another impossible scenario where Jimmy is engaged in a freefall battle to the death that should have lasted no more than 43 seconds. Said battle to the death finally ended today, and I encourage everyone to go look at the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tollymain posted:

you know, i'm not sure what i expected

Neither was anyone in the comments section, apparently.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SynthOrange posted:

I've been wondering when I should stop reading Demon. Now seems like a good time.

I should definitely stop reading it at work, that's for drat sure.

I think this whole scene is kinda just there to poo poocumfart in the face of anyone who, like me, got bored of the comic but kept reading on for whatever reason. Once again, I feel like I want this to just skip to the end so I can see who dies and move on.

At least it's the most "fun" Jimmie's had in like 200 years?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

MikeJF posted:

The Gunnerkrigg thread went to absolute poo poo when Tony came back. There was basically endless petty arguing between the people who were on Tony's side and the people who weren't.

It was pretty decent before that.

The current chapter is a coyote story chapter. The moment the splash page went up for it we went from hundreds of pages of "Anthony Carver did nothing wrong :colbert:" to what will surely shape up to be hundreds of pages of "Literally everything and everyone is Coyote in disguise :colbert:". That thread has become completely filled with stupid, and it's sad to see it do so, because there used to be a lot of good discussion in there.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Archenteron posted:

So speaking of Demon-related comics, what's up right now with Ava's Demon? It went on random hiatus awhile back, did one update a month or so ago, and is still in the void right when we got to the really good part.

It's because I'm reading it. This is what happens to almost all of the comics I read. Broodhollow, Ava's Demon, Derelict, Power Nap, Brainchild, The Last Cowboy, etc. etc.. The only ones that seem to escape this are Gunnerkrigg and sadly, Demon. :smithicide:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In other Demon related news, Hunter seems to have learned a new trick.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hunter, like Jimmie, stays really focused on just a few details now. However, I'm sure that what he's currently doing is going a bit far, even for him.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

HorseRenoir posted:

Hunter sure has things figured out :stare:

No, he thinks he does, but all any of his elaborate plans have been for is just to show Jimmie's superiority. He'll find one gaping flaw in the plan and exploit it to render all of this null and void, and escape with Sweatpea effortlessly, and we'll all smack our foreheads and go :doh: "Oh, of course! We should've seen that it was obvious he would do that!"

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SynthOrange posted:

Oh.

Well time for Jimmy to systematically murder everyone.

Most likely. Unless Shiga doesn't pull a double bait-and-switch, which, let's face it, he pretty much won't by now.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The latest thrilling chapter of Demon has started today. It was kicked off with a comment from Shiga, himself.

quote:

Hey everyone! Jason Shiga here! Just wanted to drop in and give you all a little warning about this chapter.

I don't want to give too much away but it could make issue 15 look like a cake walk by comparison. It might not even a comic in the McCloudian sense of the word. But for me, one of the most rewarding pleasures of dipping my toe into this webcomics world has been getting the opportunity to try some really challenging and experimental ideas that would never ever ever fly with a traditional publisher (probably for good reason). I like to think I deliver on all the goods so to speak but I guess that's for you to decide.

I wouldn't blame you if you can't take it, in which case you might just want to come back November 11 when the chapter's all over. But thanks to everyone for sticking with me so far and I hope you continue to enjoy Demon. It is YOU, my readers, who've kept me going and turned this project from a modest webcomic with 76 followers into the publishing juggernaut that it is today.

And this is how I repay you. Bwahahahaha!

Up till now, we've endured cum knives, convoluted plans of every sort, skyscraper-skydive battles that lasted for ages, cum farts, and all sorts of things. What the hell could Shiga possibly throw at this thing that would make him think we "couldn't take it"?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Anyone here read Power Nap? Because if so, uh... Well, that doesn't bode well. :ohdear:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I came here to post :byodame: and :barf: but I see you guys already have it covered. Jesus Christ though. I'm glad this page is on a Saturday and I'm not working.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Blackfish posted:

I like it a lot, there's been some great character development recently. Violet is a good character and I hope we see a lot more of her. I'm curious about what Enid is. Some commenters were saying that it is literally An Id which could be cool, or like a hybrid since it can talk.

I'm wondering what the heck Enid is as well. I mean, aside from the Barenaked Ladies reference pointed out in the comments. I see what looks like a tail behind her, but it's bulbous or something.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Mind over Matter posted:

It's going to feel weird as poo poo to me when both OOTS and Dr. McNinja are finished. They're the last two story-form webcomics I follow with any regularity, and two of the only handful I read these days at all. Compared to back in like 2002 when I read half of Keenspot's lineup and a bunch of independent ones as well. (Forever missing Checkerboard Nightmare.)

Have you tried Gunnerkrigg Court?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Rand Brittain posted:

Spoilers, possibly, for the sake of my browser history/sanity?

Nah, you don't want that. Let's just say it's one of the most blatantly NSFW page so far in the comic, cumknife and cumfart included.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Autonomous Monster posted:

So I think Trudy Cooper has decided Sithrak is the funniest joke left in Oglaf? I'm not sure she's wrong.

It certainly seems to be most of what she's been focusing on lately. Sithrak IS funny, just not the same funny that started me reading Oglaf in the first place.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Looks like Jimmie's camel loving was irrelevant.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Quinton posted:

That's a bummer. Powernap was fun.

Man, that blows. Another comic in my bookmarks down the drain.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, in Monster Pulse, that sure is a spine monster. :stare:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What if it's a whole skeleton?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Apparently having a conscience causes bags under the eyes in the world of Demon. No wonder Jimmie otherwise always seems so alert and awake.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

In Monster Pulse news, Ha! She's spineless! :haw:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Jesus, these are depressing as gently caress. Why are we posting them to the thread?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Plethora posted:

I did that because I want to get honest opinions. I've learned from experience that if you come in going "look at my stuff" no one will give you the right kind of criticism you need to get better. SA is great at voicing useful criticism, as seen with Tyson Hesse's experiences, and there aren't any better places to go for some straight truth than SA.

Unfortunately, there's a stigma against self-promotion, especially here. I tried it before here at least twice and was ignored like a plague, making me confused as to whether my work was just extremely boring or if no one wanted to talk about it if they knew the artist is reading along. It was no help at all.

But by going 'oh hey here's a thing' just now I got several genuine, honest responses I can now use to be a better artist that never happened before.

Sorry for the deception there. There was no intention to upset anyone and I'm sorry if I did. I care a great deal about feedback because I want to be good at what I do, and it's a lot harder to get real people's opinions that it looks.

Well, if it's actual critique you're looking for, I think your skills are pretty good. The characters are well represented, and you're good at showing their emotions. The line work is clean and has a nice "notebook comic" sort of feel to it. It's just that the subject matter is dark as hell, and doesn't make me want to read more. I wanna read comics to escape reality, not to face its harsher realities, you know? Even if you went dark humor, it would still probably be readable, but there's no hook to that comic to make me want to read the next one. "Oh, Sister tried to off herself again? She's probably fine now. Mom, Brother, Sister's done it again. Oh, you don't think it's important to go see her? Ok. Oh, she's dead. gently caress. Mom, Dad, Brother, she's dead." :smithicide:

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I'm definitely not saying that the stories that are being written need humor added, I'm saying the stories need to be something else entirely. Art-wise, I like the way it looks, but story-wise, it's depressing as hell and I don't want to read it because of that. If the author took the same characters/style/universe/whatever and did something completely different that had nothing to do with things like an insensitive mother throwing a dying cat into a garbage can in front of her child, or the previously mentioned suicide story, then I'd probably want to read it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I recently catched up on Monster Pulse. Apparently the characters were always supposed to be fifteen? They look twelve at the oldest in their first appearance, jeez.
Love the new monsters, by the way. Does anyone know what part of the body is the skeleton supposed to be? What about the one Ayo is fighting? And does that girl really have a whole head monster?

e: oh wait
"My Cav's probably going to beat him though." The douche has a cavity monster.

The tooth monster is a molar, the bone one seems to be a spine and pelvis, and the head one is obviously a head. If you noted, the girl who had the overamped spine monster was, herself, spineless.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A.o.D. posted:

I wonder if there's any chance we get animated dickbutt.

Boy are you gonna love this.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

A.o.D. posted:

Let me tell you, if any movie deserved dickbutt, it was the Lorax.

:aaaaa: Oh my god.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Did he do something new and stupid? Do I wanna know?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Brought To You By posted:

Had to stop when the Headmistress wanted the acolyte to testify about her dreams in front of everyone. Because having sexy dreams about your patron saint is completely normal

To be fair, She didn't get to go into enough detail about the dream for the headmistress to know that it was a sexy dream. Also, it never ends up happening.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Captain Bravo posted:

Uhh, doesn't killing the host kill the monster as well? Or am I misremembering that. I could have sworn The Thing From Roger died when Lulenski bashed his head in with a rock.

Yeah, since the organ and the host are connected, killing the host kills the monster, and if the monster is a vital organ, killing it kills the host.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oy, jesus.

Anyway, for "content"... of sorts... I keep seeing Randowis get thrown around places every once in a while, and the pokemon comic stuff reminded me of it. It seems to be a pretty decent gag-a-day, at least. Anyone else wanna throw in an opinion?

Here's a decent smattering of the guy's work, if you haven't seen it yet.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Tenebrais posted:

The shared a pretty tender moment in that last scene. I'd be surprised if Kit's motivation is anything but romantic. Poppy seems pretty into it too.

I thought Poppy was just kind of rolling along with things, considering, you know, the stairs, having to carry the queen to the infirmary, everything else that's happened today...

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh, neat back tattoo there, in panel 5.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I also wonder if the whole creepy eyes springing fully open thing here has anything to do with entering a state of super lucidity?

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

The latest Friedrich Intermission page over at Poppy confirms that life everywhere is a soap opera.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

fritz posted:

I stopped reading Unsounded pretty early on and haven't started back up, but that description makes it sound exactly like magic.

You know how any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic? The way the writer describes it is that the people in this world are doing what amounts to magic, but what they're actually doing is living in what amounts to a video game or program or whatever, where the "magic words" they speak are basically commands that cut and paste parts of the code from one thing onto another. Want to turn a piece of paper into a deadly weapon? Speak words that take the sharpness value of your enemy's sword and apply it to your paper. Now cut their head off. That sort of thing. The smoke eels and other weird bits are the world's operating system going "no, wait, you can't do that. lemme fix this poo poo you hosed up".

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well yeah. I'm not saying it's different, that's just roughly the canon explanation of what's going on. Where it becomes slightly different is when the characters begin talking about it. Most magic-based worlds, the people using magic are either like "I dunno how it works, it just works", or they make it seem like it's some understanding that no mere mortal could ever hope to attain. In this setting, the characters talk about it like a finely dissected and understood science, which is what A Wizard Of Goatse was talking about with his "whole technobabble branch of physics" post.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Just so we're clear, you guys do remember that the humans appearing in the comic thing was one of the bits of the April Fools comic, right? And there's already a proven thing where some stuff in those comics actually comes true. Granted, humans are very out of place in this setting as a rule, but I guess I can live with having 1 or a couple or whatever as the general attendants to god. It'd be especially hilarious if this whole universe turned out to be like some weird altered reality where the gods are just house cats, the attendants are the cat owners, and all other animals are just wild animals roaming around the neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, In Sword Interval today, uh this is kinda like some nightmares I've had. Also, the author seems to be playing out the story of The S M I L I N G M A N in its entirety, for anyone here who's been playing SS13 for a while.

EDIT: drat, you need archives to get to the actual post, but someone quoted it, so you'll just have to live without the pictures.

OrangeSoda posted:

I remember this round, it was incredibly fun.

People ended up accidentally teleporting into that chamber using hand teles and couldn't actually see space or anything, so they appeared to be trapped in there. The first man to enter was the chaplain, who after collapsing when evil spirits attacked him woke up in the maintenance corridors donned in cultist robes and absolutely insane.

The next person was the captain, who entered on purpose to check it out. The security team was somehow monitoring him over cameras and were seeing someone else in the room with the captain, who claimed he was the only person in the room. This other person, in a pinstripe suit and a strange mask that appeared to give him a pale face and oversized smile, waved to the guards and obviously knew they were there, which freaked them out.

After awhile, the security guards watching on the camera began to bleed some and take slight brute damage, complaining about headaches. While they weren't watching on the cameras, the captain foolishly grabbed an artifact.

All the lights blew on the station and everyone heard a tornado siren blaring, the captain freaked out, made a portal and escaped back to the station.

He left the portal open. Whatever was following him before came back with him. All hell quickly broke loose on the station

The dead rose, strange creatures began stalking the hallways and devouring the crew and the strange "smiling man' from before was roaming the dark hallways, vanishing and re-appearing at will, slaughtering the crew that weren't devoured by zombies or demons by stabbing them repeatedly with a knife. Horrible, distorted noises began blaring around the station.

The game's graphics began to also glitch up like in the screenshot, tiles started "drifting" off center and becoming glitchy and broken looking. Their names also turned to things like "Help me" and "No escape".

As if that wasn't bad enough, some crewmembers weren't handling it too well. A few of them, paranoid that the other survivors weren't who they seemed or were infected with the virus that turned the others into zombies, began killing one another. Other diseases began to infect those who the smiling man didn't kill outright and spread to the others.

I believe there was only one survivor.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jul 20, 2016

• Locked thread