Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
The poll in today's Dr McNinja is intensely believable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Checking back on Poppy O'Possum after a month of not keeping up is kind of like reaching between the cushions of your couch and pulling out an entire plus size bag of candy. :3:

I am so glad to see this comic updating again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

Hover-text for latest page: "Steamy gossip is pretty much the only reason these two continue to be friends."

:ms:

Somehow I only just noticed Ricky serving as a step stool :vince:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I legitimately have no clue where Kin...President Radical is going with all this and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

The background and the alt-text on today's Poppy is amazing.

I'm struggling to decide whether Lilly being flattened or Friedrich's Tactical Earplug action is more hilarious.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

I'm getting real sick of King Radical, he should have just stabbed him to death two pages again and been done with it.

Well good news, because this chapter is about putting the King Radical plot line to rest. It's the end of the comic.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Now just watch, after King Radical is dead and Doc is stranded in the Radical Lands this will all end with him being crowned the new King Radical. :tinfoil:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

RoboCicero posted:

Calling Sparklelord still seems like a "release snakes to get rid of all the pigeons" strategy but it would be a interesting continuation of the theme that Dr. McNinja's one blind spot is King Radical.

Also for Demon, anyone who saw this coming please line up to receive your free complementary cum-knife.

I think this time it's not so much about Doc's blindspot as it is about the fact that King Radical is winning, decisively. This is legitimately probably the only option left with the stakes this high and victory so close for King Radical.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't stop gawking at Megatokyo and Fred.

Not even reading Dominic Deegan as a teenager embarrasses me as much as reading Megatokyo.

I'm not really sure how that site works, he essentially never updates.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hey Widdershins has consistently looked interesting everytime goons have posted it I say at like midnight, I'll finally give it a proper whirl before bed.

Four hours later I've marathoned everything and I have to wake up in like five hours thanks a lot Kojiro for your dumb webcomic being really good :arghfist::saddowns:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kojiro posted:

It's extremely tempting to base a later story around it, to be honest. I had a lot of fun with the flashback characters, and writing a Disaster Wedding would be fun as hell.

I look forward to your rendition of Elodie parkouring off someones face to get dat bouquet.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Tollymain posted:

ok maybe it's time to stop posting those directly into this thread

What's the reasoning?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

In Poppy news, Kit's stepmother is approaching Critical Punchability levels. God drat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

darthbob88 posted:

It's not actual villainy, to a degree that might justify Poppy leaping in and uppercutting somebody, she's just being super bitchy to her stepdaughter.

Tbh I think we've gone way past super bitchy at this point. This is out and out verbal abuse, and I somehow doubt this is the first time in Kit's life that this woman has done this to her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I have no idea what's going on in the last page of today's Poppy but second to last panel: :vince:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pavlov posted:

This comic is like 50% superfluous panels.

I blitzed through it this morning and yeah, this is pretty much what was bugging me.

Still liking it overall but it's definitely a habit they need to outgrow. How often does it update?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

That is a hell of a face you are making there Poppy. :catstare:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Like the current page, where Petunia is apparently a kung-fu master or something.

I am unsure of how to feel about this development. For now I shall settle for: rrreeeeaaaaaally?

Edit: vvvv My bad then. I dunno though, being a Grandmaster Whatever rather than just happening to know some basic martial arts like a regular person still strikes me as a little overkill for Petunia.

We have found the only person other than Poppy O'Possum herself that didn't know this :haw:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Captain Bravo posted:

lol, wut

Wait... what?

loving what? Are you guys honestly serious here? gently caress, I just reread the archives like twice and didn't see poo poo about that. I even read all the author comments on the bottom of the page and the mouseover text. What!?

Very first chapters with Valente it's indicated Petunia is more dangerous than she is willing to be and it's referenced multiple times afterwards. Including by Moonshine threatening to spill Petunias SECRET BACKSTORY in order to get brought along to this whole shindig, this chapter.

It's been super super obvious that Petunia was more than she let on for a while now. She's a terrible liar.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Among those links, I am reminded of how much I love the fact that despite Chicadino being a despicable bastard he manages to be eminently practical all the time and doesn't let his temper make him do really dumb super villain stuff :allears:

I hope he continues to be so lovable/hateable for the forseeable.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

On the topic of Poppy I only just put these two pages together

http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-3-page-11/
http://www.poppy-opossum.com/comic/poppy-6-page-11/

It turns out Mary knows people pretty well and then puts that knowledge through a filter of..booze and Mary :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

That kabe don is just the best.

Zarigueya's unamused hypothetical assist is never not funny.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

he's very sorry he called the famous comics guy a white man that was uncalled for

Honestly the mediocrity or lackthereof of Will Eisner is unimportant. Diaz is the last person in the universe who is qualified to call out anyone for coasting ad infinitum on mediocrity is the real point :v:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Well today's Poppy isn't foreboding and alarming at all!

Poppy's reaction to whatever's in the chair only makes things more confusing. She doesn't seem offended, as one would expect if the theories that were flying were true, it almost reads like a sort of sad resignation? Acceptance? I legitimately have no idea what's in there now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wwll Poppy just went to a pretty grim place.

But I'm all for more Freddy Facts in the future.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

I assure you, the contents of Monday's page are going to more than compensate for how dark the undertones of the comic have been recently.
It was literally the first page I wrote for this chapter, and I've been vibrating in anticipation for months about it.

And I was already thoroughly amused by Kit's matter of fact "Ah." at her situation :allears:

Edit: Also count the footstep squeaks is my favorite background game.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 7, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wittgen posted:

I'm assuming Poppy will catch her a la the romance novel cover from earlier. Fingers crossed.

Did we already know that Kit turned off the dragon bell? Does that mean she's been working with the evil octopus thing?

No, and I don't think it means she was working with the evil octopus thing so much as they turned off the dragon bell to assist with her experiments, because she was going WHOLE HAM in an effort to make a breakthrough before this event. I seem to recall hearing that some of her specimens are dragon derivatives in some way.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Gutter Owl posted:

So Gigi D.G. (of Cucumber Quest fame) just released a really gay good complete comic called Lady of the Shard, about a devoted lesbian acolyte who falls love with Rose Quartz her Goddess.

It's absolutely homosexual wonderful, shifting deftly between cutesy domesticity to questions of responsibility to body horror to cosmic horror that actually FEELS cosmically horrifying to totally not lesbian BDSM we swear your honor and back. The writing is brisk and clever, communicating both a cosmological scope and a tiny personal scope without ever getting bogged down in exposition. The art goes from simple, intentionally-poor-quality sketches to the sort of beautiful endless canvas stuff that would give Scott McCloud a terminal priapism. The plot is so queer compounded on queer compounded on ladies kissing and being happy and then kissing and being sad, it could be an Indigo Girls song.

It's free on itch.io, and reads start to finish in an hour. I think it somehow made me gayer I didn't think that was possible highly recommend it.

IT IS OKAY TO HAVE A CRUSH

SHE SEEMS TO DIG YOU AS WELL

:allears:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah there was pretty much no other way this could go down. Note how Kit goes from still trying to maintain some vague tatter of dignity to full on emotional support stranglehug between panel 4 and 5.

Unconscious Lily continues to be a great background detail.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

As of today's Poppy, I wish to formally retract this opinion and adopt Morbi's instead, ie that this comic is super gay.

I mean, the last panel might actually be even gayer than the chapter cover

Is about the best summary I can give of Poppy's monday update. Also for added humor, I was referring back to the harlequin romance novel chapter cover. I hadn't noticed previously the Quibble & Moonshine author logo. It really takes the whole thing to a new level of "aside from the animal people I can totally picture this in a Walmart".

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Morbi posted:

I spent like an entire week just googling trashy vintage romance novels to get the exact look I wanted for that cover.
It was the best.

The Walmart near me literally has a full section with a bigass HARLEQUIN sign above it containing exactly these kinds of books and I can tell you that your research was not in vain :911:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Poppy is beginning to reach a Steven Universe-esque ratio of gay to sad. I can only switch from :3: to :smith: so fast Morbi you're gonna give me whiplash.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

GenericServices posted:

The critical question is whether this heartfelt conversation finishes before Petunia walks in on them.

The only thing bad about today's Poppy update is that the mysterious figure in the last panel isn't Petunia come to horribly misconstrue (?) the situation.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Actually so far Petunia has been reading the situation very accurately.

Thus the (?) part of that post :v:

Petunia is right, seemingly, but for all the wrong reasons. It's great. I sincerely hope she just goes on thinking that her "clues" were the real smoking guns all along and nobody corrects her.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Poppy Opossum is making me sad, you guys. Why can't Lily have nice things? :(

I dunno. It can go one of two ways. Learning your parent(s) is/are just as fallible as anyone else with the same fears and hopes can improve empathy orrr it could just lead to Lily becoming even more disillusioned and I'm not sure which is more likely here.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Green Intern posted:

Thanks Morbi for breaking us of the illusion that a small cloth can keep a child unconscious despite being waved around and in a room full of screaming adults.

From context I get the impression that it's a thing that works on young opossums in the real world but I could be totally off base :shrug:

I'd actually been meaming to ask cuz I have been wondering.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

Sorry kid, you can never achieve anything in your life and the rest of the world wants nothing to do with you but to kick you around in the dirt. Cheer up and get used to your station in life.

The game is rigged but life still needs living.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Pick posted:

Trigger warnings are helpful in some situations and if we trust artists then we need to let them experiment with what works in this sense.

Well it's Willis soooo...

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yikes. Let's not engage with the human garbage.

Alaois posted:

Is is hilariously grimdark, all the best pokemon fanfiction is hilariously grimdark

Not really but when the main character's take on Pokemon is:

"On this trip I've found out there's only one way to win and that's...training for a ridiculously long and boring amount of time until your team becomes so powerful that of course you're going to win" it's pretty consistently worth a laugh.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I legitimately can't tell if Ricky boy in Poppy is angry because he suspects something is going on, and doesn't like it, or if he's just being his regular stern self. Panel 2 is giving me cause for doubt in particular. How much did he really hear though given that he, apparently, rushed in at 200% breakneck speed?

In these troubling times, I turn to "Hello, apparently" to quell all doubts. :allears:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 28, 2016

• Locked thread