Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anti-magic
Sep 9, 2012

We've come up in the ram-raiding business, Owl.
It's all high class now.
No more baby seats.

mr. stefan posted:

Willis is probably the lead example in some psychologists long term study on how the internet has curbed the occurrence of serial killers in the post-internet western world, if he'd been born 30 years earlier he'd have at least six dead co-eds in his yard by this point in his life

Drawing smug lesbians and Christian strawmen will become the go to art therapy in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Supposedly they're less strawmen and more the author's relatives with different names.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
I'm betting an uncle.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah that sounds consistent with the kind of people he apparently grew up with.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I would imagine people here are familiar with Al-Rashad. The author/artist have set up a Patreon for the sequel. Check it and and consider throwing some money at it. More money means more pages.

If you haven't had a chance to read Al-Rashad yet, check it out it's really good.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pavlov posted:

I'm particularly confused about why he decided that this specific comic was the one he needed to warn people about so badly. He's already had plenty of trauma and violence and even a big bit about college date-rape right? What made this one so special?

It reenforces why trigger warnings are a bad idea. What qualifies them? Is suicide the only one? As you said, he's had violence, attempted rape...

It just seems needless. A story shouldn't require you to take yourself out of the narrative to warn you that something bad is going to happen. Imagine if you were watching a horror movie and the screen halted for the words to flashing a warning about violence before it resumed the bloody murdering abruptly..

I don't get it. I've had loved ones attempt suicide, reading a comic where it happens to another character does not trigger me. I can't help but feel like any person reading this ought to feel insulted, like we're somehow incapable of handling a "difficult" moment in this silly webcomic about college students loving.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Do people ITT need a trigger warning: trigger warnings?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It reenforces why trigger warnings are a bad idea. What qualifies them? Is suicide the only one? As you said, he's had violence, attempted rape...

It just seems needless. A story shouldn't require you to take yourself out of the narrative to warn you that something bad is going to happen. Imagine if you were watching a horror movie and the screen halted for the words to flashing a warning about violence before it resumed the bloody murdering abruptly..

I don't get it. I've had loved ones attempt suicide, reading a comic where it happens to another character does not trigger me. I can't help but feel like any person reading this ought to feel insulted, like we're somehow incapable of handling a "difficult" moment in this silly webcomic about college students loving.

Horror movies DO have trigger warnings beforehand, though? The rating board exists for a reason, y'know.

It's all cool and good that it doesn't bother you, but different people react to reminders of trauma differently, especially when it's brought up in a sudden and unexpected context (i.e, "a silly webcomic about college students loving.")

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

dmboogie posted:

Horror movies DO have trigger warnings beforehand, though? The rating board exists for a reason, y'know.

It's all cool and good that it doesn't bother you, but different people react to reminders of trauma differently, especially when it's brought up in a sudden and unexpected context (i.e, "a silly webcomic about college students loving.")
They have them at the beginning of the movie, not immediately before what's intended to be a significant moment.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dmboogie posted:

But that's not what I described, I'm talking about him inserting this warning right in the middle of the on-going story arc (Or for the movie example, interrupting the movie midway to insert a warning that a machete death was about to happen). If you were going to clue in the reader that there was going to be an attempted suicide, you could have foreshadowed it in some small way ahead of time. It's certainly not that jarring in the context of the comic, which makes it all the stranger that it remains. If you're going to be traumatized by a cartoon strip, that's unfortunate, but in attempting to cater to the hypothetical person who will experience extreme PTSD from a cartoon panel, the author has instead taken a scene that might have had a decent emotional impact (and was certainly intended to) and deflated it before it's even shown.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Elysiume posted:

They have them at the beginning of the movie, not immediately before what's intended to be a significant moment.

True. However, a 2-ish hour long movie is a different case than a long-running comic strip that can have its tone change over time.

I'm not saying that it was handled well in this particular case. Probably the best way to handle it imo would be to put the warning at the beginning of the story arc, that way people who wanna peace out can peace out, and the flow of the story isn't broken up immediately before poo poo gets bad.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

But that's not what I described, I'm talking about him inserting this warning right in the middle of the on-going story arc (Or for the movie example, interrupting the movie midway to insert a warning that a machete death was about to happen). If you were going to clue in the reader that there was going to be an attempted suicide, you could have foreshadowed it in some small way ahead of time. It's certainly not that jarring in the context of the comic, which makes it all the stranger that it remains. If you're going to be traumatized by a cartoon strip, that's unfortunate, but in attempting to cater to the hypothetical person who will experience extreme PTSD from a cartoon panel, the author has instead taken a scene that might have had a decent emotional impact (and was certainly intended to) and deflated it before it's even shown.

That's fair. However, you were saying that "It reenforces why trigger warnings are a bad idea," which is absolutely not true. One instance of a good concept being handled poorly doesn't invalidate the entire concept.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

dmboogie posted:

That's fair. However, you were saying that "It reenforces why trigger warnings are a bad idea," which is absolutely not true. One instance of a good concept being handled poorly doesn't invalidate the entire concept.

I still don't like them. For one, it ruins any chance of surprising anybody with a sudden twist in the narrative, depending on what you're attempting to do (content warnings are generally vague enough for this to be a non-issue, but trigger warnings tend to be about really specific things). For another, it's patronizing to the audience, as I said. It's like bowling with bumpers on, smoothing out the sharp edges of a table, that sort of thing. If you are not mature enough to handle adult content in a work of fiction, that's your trouble. I feel like giving kids an excuse to "opt-out" of reading stories based solely upon what content may appear within that story, it's sort of...devaluing literature and storytelling over the reader's individual feelings. How do you challenge your audience if you pull your punches? If somebody is really upset by depictions of racial injustice, should they be exempt from reading To Kill a Mockingbird? Do we need to tell people before a staging of Oedipus that this story contains self-mutilation, thus kicking the legs out of the shocking ending?

And for what? What is the benefit? Surely the people most likely to actually need a trigger warning are of an exceedingly small segment of the population, and would have their own accomodations towards the consumption of media that may trigger them.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh no we're going down the dark path, I can sense it. TURN, THREAD, TURN.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Brought To You By posted:

List of people who are now screwed in Widdershins
  • Sid
  • O'malley
  • Wolfe
  • Ben
  • The entire Barber clan
  • The town itself
  • The world too because why not?

Nah, letting an incarnation of Wrath itself out into the world is probably fine.

Also I know this happened in March, but I'm still amazed that their big plan fell apart literally before they even got out of their driveway.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trigger warnings are helpful in some situations and if we trust artists then we need to let them experiment with what works in this sense.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

well at least some people in that organization have limits

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
I'll give Willis credit for not going with the obvious stereotype in today's comic. Among all his Christian strawmen, "super homophobe is secretly gay" would fit right in, but it looks like Becky's dad just used his secret weightlifting room for weightlifting and crying.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I still don't like them. For one, it ruins any chance of surprising anybody with a sudden twist in the narrative, depending on what you're attempting to do (content warnings are generally vague enough for this to be a non-issue, but trigger warnings tend to be about really specific things). For another, it's patronizing to the audience, as I said. It's like bowling with bumpers on, smoothing out the sharp edges of a table, that sort of thing. If you are not mature enough to handle adult content in a work of fiction, that's your trouble. I feel like giving kids an excuse to "opt-out" of reading stories based solely upon what content may appear within that story, it's sort of...devaluing literature and storytelling over the reader's individual feelings. How do you challenge your audience if you pull your punches? If somebody is really upset by depictions of racial injustice, should they be exempt from reading To Kill a Mockingbird? Do we need to tell people before a staging of Oedipus that this story contains self-mutilation, thus kicking the legs out of the shocking ending?

And for what? What is the benefit? Surely the people most likely to actually need a trigger warning are of an exceedingly small segment of the population, and would have their own accomodations towards the consumption of media that may trigger them.

What a moron

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

Perry Normal posted:

I'll give Willis credit for not going with the obvious stereotype in today's comic. Among all his Christian strawmen, "super homophobe is secretly gay" would fit right in, but it looks like Becky's dad just used his secret weightlifting room for weightlifting and crying.

"Secret weight lifting room we weren't allowed in as kids" is one of those weird little details that seems like something from a personal experience. As much as the guy seems like a strawman, I really do think he's probably like, verbatim an actual person.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Today's Dr McNinja has the best call-out to an older strip.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Not just the strip.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good ol' Dr. McNinja.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Pick posted:

Trigger warnings are helpful in some situations and if we trust artists then we need to let them experiment with what works in this sense.

Well it's Willis soooo...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Lighten up, he hasn't done anything wrong and he's producing creative content. Let him grow and develop, he's always getting better.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

stop engaging with the literal gamergator

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I am skeptical of their helpfulness, but I'm fine with letting artists experiment with them as is their want. I've just yet to see an instance where they weren't obtrusive and patronizing, so I hope this experiment is short-lived and people learn to deal with grown-up content like actual grown-ups.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Says chocobo avatar man on the internet.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

If you have an actual argument, it might be helpful to post it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
"Growing up" can also include developing a knowledge or yourself and what is and isn't right for you at a certain time. Content warnings can help people manage that. Or heck, maybe they are just "sensitive", but I've never seen a sensitive person actually be effectively "toughened up" by including an unannounced rape scene in Hamtaro or whatever.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I am skeptical of their helpfulness, but I'm fine with letting artists experiment with them as is their want. I've just yet to see an instance where they weren't obtrusive and patronizing, so I hope this experiment is short-lived and people learn to deal with grown-up content like actual grown-ups.

They are not helpful to you, you mean. Other people, including people who have experienced trauma, have found them helpful as to avoid to be reminded of unpleasant experiences, and that should be reason enough to be patient when you come across them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wasn't reading that comic right now anyway, but one of my friends recently committed suicide and I'm genuinely not interested in suicide content right now. I didn't avoid her funeral or talking about my feelings, but I don't really want to read fiction starring it as a plot point yet.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

paradoxGentleman posted:

They are not helpful to you, you mean. Other people, including people who have experienced trauma, have found them helpful as to avoid to be reminded of unpleasant experiences, and that should be reason enough to be patient when you come across them.

They are not helpful to me and I do not think they are helpful in general. If anything, they seem to be suggesting to trauma victims that they should not ever be expected to be come to terms with whatever bad thing happened to them. I think most everybody will or has encountered trauma in their lives, from a car crash to violent battery, assault or the tragic loss of a loved one. Tragedy is an integral element to human drama. I think it's also more than a little disrespectful to, say, veterans of war who suffer from PTSD episodes "triggered" by things like car engines or sudden loud noises. How did we function as a society before trigger warnings?

Pick posted:

"Growing up" can also include developing a knowledge or yourself and what is and isn't right for you at a certain time. Content warnings can help people manage that. Or heck, maybe they are just "sensitive", but I've never seen a sensitive person actually be effectively "toughened up" by including an unannounced rape scene in Hamtaro or whatever.

Your example is patently ridiculous, but having a sudden mood shift in children's entertainment isn't unusual. Don Bluth made a whole career over having sad and tragic things happen in kids stories, that people say "scarred them for life" as a joking hyperbole, but in actuality formed profound life lessons that they remember unto their adulthood. Content warnings are not the same as trigger warnings, either in execution or in intention. Content warnings serve as a casual "at-a-glance" service for consumers to determine whether a piece of entertainment is appropriate for children or adults. It's only come to lately that some people find it so troublesome to encounter subject matter they are not comfortable with that they feel they require a warning before they consume a piece of media, equivocating their discomfort to actual PTSD. If you are going to watch adult media, then you should be prepared to encounter adult content, either violence or sex or assault or tragedy. Insisting that everything with even remotely troubling content come with a specific warning label is silly.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm trans-sympathetic. Which means I feel sympathy that we allow mentally ill people to mutilate their bodies to sustain an unhealthy delusion.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The post literally right before me is from someone who appreciates the content warning but I'm a whiny pissbaby who loudly speaks over survivors of trauma and assumes their opinions for them, and also doesn't understand that non-war trauma can legitimately give people PTSD

Zweihander01
May 4, 2009

Perry Normal posted:

To be fair that's what I use my weightlifting room for also.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Content warnings are very similar to trigger warnings in practise (I have adult friends who won't watch a movie with graphic sexual violence in it because it's too upsetting, and that's been their stance since long before "trigger warning" was a phrase people used) and I suspect the distinction you're drawing between the two is not very genuine if you stop and think about it for a second.

Your appeal to the past as a golden age where people were tougher and less coddled is also patently silly. "How did we function as a society"? Well, possibly slightly worse. Why assume that the social climate fifty years ago was automatically just better?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

8-Bit Scholar posted:

They are not helpful to me and I do not think they are helpful in general. If anything, they seem to be suggesting to trauma victims that they should not ever be expected to be come to terms with whatever bad thing happened to them. I think most everybody will or has encountered trauma in their lives, from a car crash to violent battery, assault or the tragic loss of a loved one. Tragedy is an integral element to human drama. I think it's also more than a little disrespectful to, say, veterans of war who suffer from PTSD episodes "triggered" by things like car engines or sudden loud noises. How did we function as a society before trigger warnings?

Your example is patently ridiculous, but having a sudden mood shift in children's entertainment isn't unusual. Don Bluth made a whole career over having sad and tragic things happen in kids stories, that people say "scarred them for life" as a joking hyperbole, but in actuality formed profound life lessons that they remember unto their adulthood. Content warnings are not the same as trigger warnings, either in execution or in intention. Content warnings serve as a casual "at-a-glance" service for consumers to determine whether a piece of entertainment is appropriate for children or adults. It's only come to lately that some people find it so troublesome to encounter subject matter they are not comfortable with that they feel they require a warning before they consume a piece of media, equivocating their discomfort to actual PTSD. If you are going to watch adult media, then you should be prepared to encounter adult content, either violence or sex or assault or tragedy. Insisting that everything with even remotely troubling content come with a specific warning label is silly.

Have you ever experienced anything truly awful in your life?

None of this is hurting you, at all, but you're throwing a fit because other people have been hurt and are incapable of coping with things in a way you deem okay. This doesn't seem like a very grown up attitude to me.

I think it's easy to fabricate mental strawmen and get really upset at the made up (or even sometimes real) people who might be disingenuously demanding trigger warnings out of some sort of unhinged fascism, but it's neither true nor helpful. I think it's respectful to readers to let them know what they're getting into, if the creator feels it's important. Webcomics are pretty small, and can be all over the place, it's not like Game of Thrones, where people 'should know what they're getting into' at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Space-Bird posted:

Have you ever experienced anything truly awful in your life?

Yes.

Android Blues posted:

Content warnings are very similar to trigger warnings in practise (I have adult friends who won't watch a movie with graphic sexual violence in it because it's too upsetting, and that's been their stance since long before "trigger warning" was a phrase people used) and I suspect the distinction you're drawing between the two is not very genuine if you stop and think about it for a second.

I explained the distinction--content warnings are very very vague, trigger warnings are much more specific. I've talked to a nurse friend of mine and she agrees that trigger warnings could be useful, but says that it's absolutely impossible to warn everyone about every conceivable threat to their psyche. You can't insulate everyone from everything.

• Locked thread