Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: I like Gewn. I hope she emerges from the inevitable train-wreck that will be the next fight relatively unscaved...

That'd be nice.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Aug 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raaaan posted:

I...I hope you mean 'unscathed' rather than 'unsaved'. :ohdear:

Yeah, I typoed. Sorry.

But who can hate this;

?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Aug 19, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
More Sleepless Domain and Mary's stated that she's going to be taking over the artist duties after the end of this chapter (which is sort of disappointing on the Olympus Overdrive dood's account) and that'll impact Let's Speek English (though as she's going home in May, that's probably got an end date) and Kiwi Blitz

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

raaaan posted:

Whoa, where did you hear that? Not seeing any announcements on the website or either of their twitters/tumblrs.
She sent a patreon message.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Yeah, there's no way everyone's walking away from this with full use of all of their limbs.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

No that's FATAL and shame on you for bringing that up in this thread.

FATAL would be a lot funnier of it didn't actually exist as a game.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Their Pupils bugging out is a new thing, right?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: She's not going to stop at the Not-Shadow, is she?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Yeah not gonna mince words here. If this is Gwen's sum total contribution to the story then I'm out.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Welp. :shrug:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

fritz posted:

I don't look at ads, and I am giving this plot development the stink-eye.

I wasn't even aware of the adverts.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain is on Haitus for the month whilst Mary (who's taking over the art duties) gets a backlog up. Also the main character is Undine for reasons that remain completely beyond me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Well aside from the fact that everyone else is fuckin dead

I meant why from a writing perspective, not a narative one.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

...I have to say, I do feel badly for the team, since I can't exactly say that they did anything wrong, unless random powers like gravity control are a known thing, in which case the fault is probably with the person who decided that five-girl squads with no supervision was the right way to patrol a town.

To the befit of the writer, "shadows" with whatever that thing was packing seem to be an unknown factor.

It would make sense if that's the case. Start of the main narrative conflict being that whatever method was keeping the enemy at bay (the magical girl patrols) is now not working. It's Pacific Rim but with Sailor Moon instead of Mazinger.

I just hope that this errs to something in the middle of Madoka and Symphogear (IE: Dark but not to the exclusion of everything but not necessarily going full Super Robot) and not on the opposite end of the scale like Yuki Yuna is a hero and the utter hash that was Day Break Illusion (Which were both exercises in wallowing in one's Linken Park CDs).

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Nov 6, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain returns and, huh. Looks like Tessa made it out alive. Go figure.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 1, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
At least the folks seem to understand, assuming that's Gwen's mum behind 'dine.

I could do with skipping the "Relatives throw survivor under the bus for not being their loved one." event of this particular rodeo.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The next SD page is a cover that doesn't say much we didn't know (ie 'Dine is having a bad time of it) so here's a quick bit from Mary's tumblr;

Basically from this; we can assume that Gwen, etc are capital G Gone (as opposed to Undine taking their powers as she seems to have done with Tess) and we'll see more of the "magical girl idol culture" stuff the chapter one cover sort of suggested which is good for doing the whole "You lived and everyone else died, how dare you!" thing without having to turn the parents into unlikeable gibbering morons which is always a bonus.

Also, got dunked on that front; well played, Mary :golfclap:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 11, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Or, like, just start a person's billing cycle on the day they subscribe like literally every grownup subscription service

Untill I got my CC bill in I assumed that's exactly what happened.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
More SD and this is going exactly where I think it's going, isn't it? :smith:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 17, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
SD 3-7: Good lord, we traded Tess for this.

I'm not against her going back to the fight, there won't be a story otherwise, but the least she could do is explain herself better than "I promise I have a good reason" and especially to the person who saved her life at great cost.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Dec 22, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Given her eye glowing pink there, it's pretty clear she got a major power boost from the ordeal.

Might be tactful to not reveal that.

Not exactly a class act if protecting Tess (or, worse, her own drat feelings) was the goal.

I really hope this isn't going to devolve into 'Dine dragging herself from Shadow to Shadow and being shafted by diabolus ex machina and her own pig headed attitude.

Mary has one hell of a hill to climb here between eighy-sixing the entire cast and putting Undine over so that they at least care when she's put through adversity.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 22, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Thing is if Undine isn't someone I feel doesn't deserve what awaits her then the horror of the situation is somewhat lost.

The writing here is a bit wonkey. Like if Tess interrupted her mid explanation with the "I can't accept this!" shut down then Undine would be absolutely right to pull rank. As is, she's being an elusive dick about things and that kills the horror of a good person being dragged through a hell not of their own creation dead.

If Undine got dunked on in the next page it would not be horror. It'd be karma.

On a lighter note Mary's Patreon Wallpaper is Undine themed if you are so inclined.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 23, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh that wasn't just a Patreon early Update.

Sleepless Domain 3-8

Yeah, I'm going to stop following SD until the chapter is done as I get the feeling that what's not working right now (for me, let's be clear) might make a whole lot more sense when this story beat is part of a chapter rather a small set of individually serialised couple of pages.

I was like this with CQ and I made a complete arse out myself about that PDQ.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Dec 24, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

neogeo0823 posted:

In Monster Pulse news, Ha! She's spineless! :haw:

That pun is scathing :v:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I forgot that I get updates from patreon in my email. Huh.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
SD - Mary, I dunno what your game plan is for making me empathise with Undine but this isn't helping.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jan 7, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I get that and I get she's stressed/pissed but she's attacking civilians (yes, annoying, pushy, civilians but still, ultimately, powerless civilians) with her powers which absolutely crosses the line.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Remember when this comic had a cast? Those were the days.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Pavlov posted:

So, is this like an attempt to make a 'dark and gritty' magic girl anime? Because the more I think about that the more it seems like a dumb idea.
The problem is that the last chapter has been split between her moping about life to herself and her being passive aggressive to anyone within earshot with no one to fill out the now barren cast list to provide any sort of levity from that.

Rand Brittain posted:

It seems more like "what if Ami Mizuno were the main character".
Coincidently (Same va, noted as an influence), this feels a lot like what would have happened if Heartcatch Precure focused on Yuri who basically goes on largely the same "Get beat to near death / have life saved at cost of friend / become distant" storyline and I can't imagine that making for compelling watching ether.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 21, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wasn't there one in Redline?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

fritz posted:

I think it's reasonable for a character to be depressed and upset when three of her friends have just died.

Yes but having the reader be subjected to it for pages (which means months here) on end with absolutely no levity and no one else in sight (and, no, having reporter lady being disproportionately upset about being drenched by Undine's little outburst does not count) with a character that is at this point defined by her trauma, awful attitude and very little else is not good television.

We need somebody who isn't a Shadow or a target for 'Dine's frustrations.

An Asuka to her Shinji, if you will.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jan 22, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Longform pacing can be brutal in a trickle-style delivery format.

news at 11

Yes but even Paranatural's hit ball arc, plagued by length and wonkey release schedule as it was, had characters to bounce ideas (to say nothing of balls) off of.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The comic is one character brooding from page to page, which makes sense for the character and her circumstances but is monotonous to read.

I am sorry that a comic that I was liking before screeching to a halt to reboot itself into that annoys me.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jan 22, 2016

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
drat that's two great thread titles in quick succession.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

khy posted:

So apparently they're turning Demon into an Anime!

http://i.imgur.com/Oi0WpEb.webm

Just kidding it's from an anime called 'Ajin' and not related to Demon but when i saw people trying to take him down with Tranqs and him chopping off his arm I couldn't think of anything but Jimmy.

From the Knights of Sidonia people?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Plus if you have netflix it's an easy buy in with convenient access to sub and sub,

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
OK, this has been driving me nuts all day;

I'm trying to remember the name of a webcomic I read about a year ago about a demon girl who had an angel friend (also female) that took place in a sort of mishmashed afterlife and the main point was that the Demon girl wan't that big about being demonic.

And, no, it's not ava's demon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

Evil Diva?

The artist ran into some money trouble a while back and had to scale back on updates. The site doesn't seem to be working right now.

Yeah. That's it.

And disappointing. :smith: oh well thanks.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain: Go on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Sleepless Domain : Thanks, painfully vague shadow lady. That clears everything up.

:cripes:

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jan 28, 2016

• Locked thread