Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rand Brittain posted:

I have just realized that "Prague Race" is a pun. It's very distressing!

... poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Some people like formatting tricks and some people dismiss them as gimmicks, if you've ever talked with someone about House of Leaves you've been there.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, adding trinkets can be dangerous. It's essential to have a firm quote ahead of time, since some things have odd price breaks or are mysteriously expensive relative to other goods.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nuns with Guns posted:

iirc Tracy Butler went to bat for 4de when rumors were swirling around about that, so who really knows what was going on

Ah, here it is. Looks like the long post she reblogged about it all was deleted though. :iiam:

I thought she went to bat for 4D over Tessa Stone instead? If you look through The Meek's comment section, I remember Der-Shing saying her workload was too demanding to also be updating*. It's easy to see a publisher as faceless but artists often have personal reasons for parceling out their time the way they do.

* I thought I remembered her saying it was too exhausting emotionally at that time as well, but as I can't seem to find that I've edited it out.

Pick fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 15, 2015

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
If you like secretary birds giving thumbs-ups, I re-recommend Feral Gentry which is still ongoing.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Let's all start reading Sluggy Freelance ironically, then get really into it unironically, and appreciate the adventures of Torg, Zoe, Riff, Gwynn, Bun-Bun, Sasha, Kiki, Aylee, and everyone else in this nifty comic.

SF was one of my first webcomics and though I don't read it any more, I have a lot of fondness for it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

I posted on the Sluggy fan forums a lot when I was like 13.

I probably saw you there. Tiny internet :toot:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Matlock Birthmark posted:

I like to pretend that I never heard about the shaving thing from here.

Because Ozzy and Millie was my first webcomic, and it was harmless fun when I was in Junior High. A more innocent time, and then years later I would find out more than I wanted to know about it here.

It was one of my first webcomics also, and I really enjoyed it. I prefer to place it in the nostalgia part of my brain and not return to it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pyroclastic posted:

The link on the comic page, https://twitter.com/brittneysabo , says it doesn't exist.

She's @BrittSabo.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never totally figured out what Boxer Hockey was "about" but it was certainly done well.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Plethora posted:

It's great living in Prague because no one talks about how great the city is.

Prague is the only place I associate with genuine happiness, wish I still lived there but congrats that you do.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pavlov posted:

Hasn't Homestuck been in development hell over its video game for like 3 years now?

The Kickstarter was funded in September 2012.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The news coming out of it is still pretty strange though, like I thought they were developing a NYC studio, but now it doesn't exist? But I have a friend who is working on the game, whose work is shown prominently, who has never been at any kind of physical studio?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gally posted:

NYC was the 3D studio, she's always been on 2D art assets for the most part, concept art, which is now more the baseline as the game is 2D instead of 3D.

I'm like 99% sure this is a mutual friend :v:

Yeah we do, if you're the Gally I think you are :v:.

But yeah, I didn't realize the NYC was just for 3D.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
But Gargoyles was hugely about social stigma? Like that was probably the most dominant theme in the entire show?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobulus posted:

Was it? I honestly don't remember a while lot about the show.

"The access code is... 'ALONE'."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree that it's important to provide some clarity as to why the discrimination exists in the form chosen in the comic, but I also think these stories (ironically) don't tend to represent a lot of diversity among their monsters as people. The ideological conflicts tend to be very, well, suggestive of discussions among young artists. This thread, for example, spent some time discussing Christian symbolism/imagery like it was bizarre or "weird", but if you go out and about, a very good number of people are Christians and having Christianity be a strong theme in someone's work is not strange at all? For fun, I did a story with a politically conservative monster and a lot of people told me it was loving weird.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
webcomics are fun

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Well I still think it's worth discussing them, like that's part of having respect for a property is discussing it like the art it is.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I also think they tend to borrow too heavily specifically from racism. I have a number of friends who are disabled and disfigured, and their experience in public is very particular and I would imagine applicable to writing a story where differences in appearance are key. For example, I remember going to the state fair with a friend with one arm who wasn't wearing her prosthetic, and a child just pointed at her and broke down and cried. There was no ill-will from anyone involved, no one was "denying" anything to anyone else per se, but drat that was not great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It isn't an approach I prefer because it suggests to me that the author wishes it were animated instead.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She's fantastic and really sweet in person. I don't know what I would have done at TCAF if she wasn't there helping me out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Having to do the peripheral stuff really kills you. It's not that comics tend to die out "just as they get successful", it's that metrics of success correspond closely with the massive transition to operating a business.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never read Homestuck but have the hardcover edition of the Sweet Bro and Hella Jeff book, which is without a doubt one of the greatest books of an age.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Until recently, caro

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I like logic puzzles, but Demon got exhausting and ultimately I'm not the anti-hero type. Glad to see he finished up though and I'll keep an eye on his future projects.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She's like my favorite artist.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think this was the plan for Cheap Thrills, but if there was such an update, I didn't see it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SlothfulCobra posted:

I love that there are some webcomics that live long enough that they have to rebrand themselves to move with the times. First El Goonish Shive has to contrive a video rental store into internet movie reviews, and now Between Failures is making one of its characters switch from wanting to make indie movies to becoming an LP superstar.

And in other "Man this is too old" news, I gave Sluggy Freelance another check, and while Pete Abrams still says he's going to stop eventually, he may be grooming an heir.

Zebra Girl completely gave up on the tech support plot angle in like 2003.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Gutter Owl posted:

So Gigi D.G. (of Cucumber Quest fame) just released a really gay good complete comic called Lady of the Shard, about a devoted lesbian acolyte who falls love with Rose Quartz her Goddess.

It's absolutely homosexual wonderful, shifting deftly between cutesy domesticity to questions of responsibility to body horror to cosmic horror that actually FEELS cosmically horrifying to totally not lesbian BDSM we swear your honor and back. The writing is brisk and clever, communicating both a cosmological scope and a tiny personal scope without ever getting bogged down in exposition. The art goes from simple, intentionally-poor-quality sketches to the sort of beautiful endless canvas stuff that would give Scott McCloud a terminal priapism. The plot is so queer compounded on queer compounded on ladies kissing and being happy and then kissing and being sad, it could be an Indigo Girls song.

It's free on itch.io, and reads start to finish in an hour. I think it somehow made me gayer I didn't think that was possible highly recommend it.

It's extremely cute and wonderful.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tollymain posted:

i've tried to come up with a way to describe it and all i can think of is "dr seuss but with grotesquerie instead of whimsy and also the artist is a furry probably?"

I'd say it's like a combination of Jack and Goblins, only in a good way. I sort of like grotesque, exaggerated art and I think it deserves a fair shake.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A lot of neat comics end about 30 pages in, that doesn't mean those 30 pages aren't worthwhile or enjoyable.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Renaissance Robot posted:

Having read and in a very tortured way enjoyed both of those comics in my youth, I'm not sure that's possible. I can't even begin to imagine what you mean.

Specifically the art style. A lot of highly-emotive monstrous beings with a 90s western-animation feel, combined with high-detail backgrounds with heavy linework (and intensity of linework fairly consistent from the background to the foreground). I don't think there's enough plot yet to characterize any aspect of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but like, I like emotive work? I'd much rather read melodrama with a lot of crying and at least attempts at deep feeling--love, distress, etc--than something detached.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Agreedo. People are too shy about sentimentality sometimes.

It feels weird to read comics where the characters are more blase about their own situations than I am as the observer. Hell, I've had to cut a lot of my dispassionate friends out of my life in the last few years because being around their apathy is so contagiously dispiriting. If that leaves me constantly refreshing Cucumber Quest and Bittersweet Candy Bowl then so be it :shrug:.

Pick fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 18, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I legitimately and truly like Harkovast.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Burkion posted:

So do I.

It's not even a guilty pleasure it's just a nice thing to read. It feels super sincere.

It's one of the few comics that has made me laugh out loud, and that's when Sir Muir was fighting the lizard guy who is all up for some ~revengeance~, but neither recognizes the lizard guy nor in fact even really knows where he is :downs:.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, I assume you're correct. I meant that comment more generally, I don't expect I'll read Gashire, or at least I will only check on it periodically to see if it ends up being a door.

The premise doesn't really grab me either thus far. OTOH I have terrible taste so :shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I'd still rather read someone trying to write emotion who is a little hammy about it than another comic where everyone approaches problems like Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality or whatever that thing is called.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never read Jack except I knew someone in college who was a forums moderator there. She would ask for help (on matters of forum moderation).

• Locked thread