Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Good OP idonotlikepeas, though you can put Shortpacked in the completed category. And put Willis' other comic in the garbage category heyoooo tip your waitresses folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

khy posted:

Parts of it are good.

I tried reading it and didn't enjoy it too much (which is a shame because personally I enjoy superheroes and it's a genre I don't seem often in webcomics)

I will say one thing for the comic though: just in terms of site design, it's great. A lot (like, a lot) of comic creators don't make a cast page, or if they do, they rarely update it when making new characters, and that can be a major pain in the rear end for new readers if the comic has a large cast. Grrl Power's creator not only has a cast page, each individual comic basically has its own mini cast page out to the side with the names/powers of the characters in that specific strip. It's real neat. ...now if only it were a feature on a better comic...

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A.o.D. posted:

I mean, that's what people think americans are these days right? A bunch of clapping hamburgers wearing cowboy hats and guns?

mods please change my name to Clapping Cowboy Burger tia

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
It's like you're not even trying to get banned. Who are you, imposter?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Reiley posted:

In summary, The Buttlord series is more of a derivative, self-standing work than a direct moment-for-moment aping of Dragonball Z

Surely you jest!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Help I can't tell who's being ironic at who anymore.

e: Pretend I made a Jeph Jacques joke to keep this shitposting going

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 5, 2015

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Renaissance Robot posted:

Write six billion fanfics

Reach hell through fanfiction.net

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's been stuck in a rut for like six years where ithe author clearly doesn't want to be rehashing the exact same situation and 'jokes' sitcom-style forever but can't break its formula to build on anything he's set up narratively and its plotlines are growing less coherent

oh you mean the site being down

:golfclap:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Why do we have to have this conversation every time it comes up?

Because it's been a couple of months and we must appease the gods by ranting about a mediocre yet ultimately non-offensive subject.

(Also whatever it's more interesting than reading "whoa that demon page" posted at a daily interval)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Honestly, Megatokyo is also pretty good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDNmLPATW0s&t=9s

anyway...

RoboCicero posted:

To be fair, cast pages are really rarely updated. Half the time you can hit them up to see character designs from another era, and bios that were written prior to the last four character arcs.

That's true, but I still find that it's nice to have a little who's who as a primer. It especially helps a new reader, because those old bios won't matter to someone reading from the start (for a heavy narrative-driven comic at least).

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
poo poo is about to get all too real in Dr. McNinja. Well, as real as things can get when you're dealing with ridiculous concepts like ghost wizards that look like party decorations.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HorseRenoir posted:

I wonder how successful that comic would have been today if the author didn't have such a lovely work ethic.

I think it would've been over years ago. Either because (the more obvious answer) Fred would've brought the story to whatever conclusion he originally had planned(if he ever had a plan, I don't know, I've only read like, 20 pages of the comic, tops, and it seemed like a real clusterfuck but whatever moving on), or he would've succumbed, like so many other webcomic authors do, to burnout. He would've realized his story wasn't working out the way he liked or decided to move on to something else or just plain gotten bored with it and just quit had he been working at a steady pace. But going at a glacial pace lets him effectively be (massive finger-quotes here) "a writer" instead of "not really doing anything for months". I don't want to say updating at a snail's pace is actively making him fool himself into thinking his story's going somewhere but... no actually that's exactly what I'm doing.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Morbi posted:

Say what you will about Simpson's embarrassing past missteps, that unicorn comic strip she's been doing for the past couple of years has been cute, at least.

:agreed:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Post 9-11 User posted:

Hmm, I wonder what infamous rear end in a top hat John Campbe--

Oh.

http://picturesforsadchildren.com/

Ohhh... :yikes:

Well, I laughed

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The problem is that your comic doesn't feature enough demons to warrant discussion in this thread

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Every now and then I see Octopus Pie posted and I go read like 10 pages and think "man that's a neat comic I should get in to" then I look and see that it's been going for sooo long and I think "Jesus I don't have time to catch up on that, I'll just go read some gag-a-day instead"

So what I'm saying here is Awkward Zombie is a funny comic

vvv: bingo, can't get enough of em

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 26, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So I don't keep up with enough webcomic authors on Twitter, can anybody tell me who's leading so far in this year's douche-off to prove how much they totally don't care about the Super Bowl?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would read a comic about Jesus suplexing people.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ConanThe3rd posted:

I would read a comic about Jesus suplexing people.

Well looks like everything worked out in the end.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

I didn't think to include a trigger warning of a cameo for a Abrahamic god because idk it didn't feature into it that heavily before, and I didn't know if it would be a big thing in the future.

Webcomics Thread 4: Trigger Warning: God

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

fun hater posted:

show me all the april fools i love them

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I am so unsurprised by this development that for a minute I could have sworn it was already a thing. Bearing in mind I last thought about DC over two years ago.

You're probably not that surprised because he's just continuing his trend of modeling everything in his comic after The Legend Of Korra down to his waifu.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 7, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Hey that reminds me, is Thunt still dead? I remember that being a running gag back when the bad thread was remotely readable

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pavlov posted:

Ok today's dumbing of age kind of pisses me off.

You could post this every day and not be in the wrong

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Captain Bravo posted:

He's learned from his peers, that if he does something which his fanbase does not like they will skin him alive. He puts a trigger warning there, because if he doesn't someone will get stupid offended, blast him on tumblr, which will get reblogged a billion times, and he'll end up putting a pair of scissors through his hand.

This is a dramatic overstatement because posting a trigger warning is not that bad, however taking up half the page with two warnings for a four panel strip, then immediately making a joke/apology is taking things a bit too far. Like drat, just because you don't make all of your audience happy 100% of the time does not automatically make you a douchebag going "sorry you were offended" to people on Twitter. There's a middle ground.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh no we're going down the dark path, I can sense it. TURN, THREAD, TURN.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
oh my god who posted about david loving willis in the first place like how did we get to this dark place.

Let's talk about literally anything else, ummmm

Is there a better gag comic than Whomp? I would posit there is not.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

paradoxGentleman posted:

Ronnie is funny in small doses. Read more than two or three and you realize that the joke is exclusively "ah ah look at the sad nerd" which stops being funny real fast.

I dunno, personally it never stops being funny to me. I guess it's just my sense of humor, or that I'm a sad weeb too.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Willis hasn't done anything creative since the 90s. He's been writing the same characters that he admittedly made when he was a child doing different things and now he is literally writing his college webcomic again because, by his own admission, he wanted something that would be easier to write so he could coast on autopilot after he had kids. And that's fine! I certainly don't begrudge the guy for dialing back his workload to start a family.

Maybe he's a swell fella and it's okay if you like him, I know all you webcomic guys are tight (you're one of the people here who actually writes a comic, right? I can never keep track). I'm not trying to be a smug prick here, but I just do not think he is a very good writer, and "making content people enjoy" is definitely not indicative of one's writing talent, or this thread wouldn't have a bimonthly 2 minutes hate for Aaron Diaz.

But seriously, enough about Willis. Is there a webcomic that mocks (print) comics? I used to really enjoy Let's Be Friends Again, but it died, and it seems like the only other game in town is *shudder* Gutters.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 28, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Carrasco posted:

The next generation of webcomics is going to be entire SBaHJ-inspired, you mark my words.

We can only hope

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Empress Theonora posted:

hmmm this artist posted in the bad webcomics thread because she's uncomfortable with the way they discuss her work, better breathlessly bring word to the other webcomics thread so they can all talk about it too

Yeah better not talk about webcomics, even slightly in a negative way, lest some interesting discussion break out.

Oh wait sorry, I'll post better. woah poppy.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Girl Genius seems like a story I could really get in to if it weren't for the art.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I've never really understood that complaint, but then I also enjoy Josh Lesnick's almost caricaturish scribbles so :shrug:

I do too. My chief problem with GG is that nothing seems to... fit? I'm sure there's a better word but let me explain, all the GG characters have these melty faced heads which is weird, but hey I could get past that, I've certainly read and enjoyed comics with weird/bad art before, it's just when you put those on everyone's weirdly giant bodies with their huge hair that poo poo starts to look jarring. His faces and body types don't mesh at all.

Lesnick, to use your example, has very nice characters because even though they're cartoonish or have exaggerated features, they seem to have a consistency to them that Foglio lacks.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 15, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

thatbastardken posted:

the special power of humans in poppy is revealed! the ability to be super condescending and rude about everything!

Ah so they're goons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The joke is that you're still reading LICD. I mean Jesus I don't think the hate thread can stand that.

As for PvP, Kurtz has worshipped newspaper comics for a long time so I'm not shocked that he devoted a week of strips to Jim Davis. I mean the man went back and wrote a big long apology for dropping one f-bomb in a strip. He is the Jim Davis of webcomics.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 15, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

that muslim family he adopted to show what a nice guy he is.

Haha whaaaat? poo poo maybe I do need to catch up on Sohmer's wish fulfillment to see this dumb poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Carrasco posted:

I'm really curious what the next page of Dr. McNinja is going to be. Is this a fakeout somehow, or did King Rad just have a death wish, or is he going to say "ha ha, you technically just killed the president of the United States, making my nemesis do that is radical enough to die for", or what?

Whatever the case, looks like we're closing in on this, which has been hanging over Doc's head for a long time now (and probably explains his comment "have I been here before?")

I'm gonna guess the last one. Rad knows he can't make his ideal world anymore, so now he's just trying to destroy Doc on every level like a real supervillain, so allowing himself to be killed lets him get the last laugh, making Doc an enemy of the state, and thus setting up that future vision.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

djw175 posted:

Ultracar isn't actually in this unless you mean Carla who's just a transwoman. And if that stretches your disbelief I'll blow your mind by telling you that transwomen exist and go to college. I know since I'm one of them.

I think they're referring to how Carla is (of course) a carryover from his old comic and in that one she was Ultracar but in a girl body because ughhhhhhhh why can't i forget this

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

- Some real bizarre rantings about money, patronage, and how This Is Not How Things Should Be

I was really sympathetic about Campbell and all her stuff because depression is awful but I do remember this part of the breakdown because it seemed like a real plea for "why do we pay money for things man?" without a shred of irony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Farg posted:

the creator of pfsc has requested that you stop all discussion of pfsc now and forever

John Campbell you're not my real dad.

So as someone who's on Hiveworks, and other webcomickers feel free to chip in, could you tell me... what's the point? I mean I understand the benefit of having your comic on that little bar on everyone's site and therefore getting traffic from other possibly more popular comics, but like, do you get paid? Why does HW only have so many "slots to give away"? Is there a quality threshold they want to maintain? Or like, a certain "brand" they want to establish by having comics of certain genres? OR WILL THE HONEYCOMB COLLAPSE WITH TOO MANY COMICS?

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Oct 4, 2016

• Locked thread