Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

:stare:

God drat that's good,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Operant posted:

Happily for you I am drawing my rad bird comic KILL SIX BILLION DEMONS full time via PATREON MONIES next week on Wednesday and you nerds can support me there. I'll include more boobies if you pay me for it

I have been waiting a very long time to throw money at you. Looking forward to seeing the donation tiers.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Darn it Abbadon, post the Patreon already, I've been waiting all day :(

EDIT: And now I'm your first patron! :toot:

The Lord of Hats fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Sep 9, 2015

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

And over 1000 now! Twice a week is a huge step up, but it's only $440 to full time KSBD.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

That does raise a bit of a question--if a demon possesses someone, and leaves non-lethally,do they just kind of pop back into control of their body?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Isn't Tessa the person who has habitually flaked out on different webcomics?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

SuperHappy posted:

Eyy folks, my own li'l comic featuring a demon had a massive website revamp. The latest comic is kinda April Foolsy although that wasn't really the intent. Most importantly, though, I got a new collaborator and she is just so good at things, so we're expecting to do a lot of good this year.
Like Miss Cagle, I plan to start doing about 4 different series this year, but I still got problems wrt having the attention span of a ferret, so who knows. I'll try my best, though.

BTW, Bea, your April Fools page was amazing, and I can't believe someone else has heard of Lynch's comic, holy poo poo

edit: oh right, I should mention my comic is :nws:

Oh hey, I was trying to remember the name of this just the other day.

I love Izzy's triangle-speak, it's oddly cheerful. Is it actually some kind of complex cipher, or is it just whatever you feel like drawing in there?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone linked Sword Interval and I've been reading it. Interesting. I like the art.

Fall is the Beast of the Apocalypse, right?

That's a fun one, thanks for linking it. Sort of wish I was coming into it when it was already complete, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

There's any number of viable possibilities, really: 1) Enid's in her head and the "monster" is actually what's left of her body. 2) Enid became a hosed up amalgam as her head monsterized and rewrote her consciousness like Anima sort of did to Violet (it would explain why she's a little too cavalier to try and literally eat West whole). or 3) Enid's in the body, and is in fact a dead, mute, and blind dullahan now, and her monster's in the head and was able to form its own human-like consciousness by jacking her brain matter as it constituted itself.

I'm leaning more towards 1 or 2, though if there's one thing Magnolia is brilliant at, it's flipping people's expectations over completely, so who really knows...

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to assume that it's a bit of a blend of 1 and 2; that is, Enid is still in her head and ultimately in control of her body and whatnot, but she's wound up a little monster-y in the process. Not quite as jacked up as Violet got, but tweaked just enough not to be too weirded out, and to find the whole situation to be fun. Basically about as 'good' of a turnout as she could hope to get from having her head monster-fied.

Also, present page excepted, I think she makes a pretty cute weird-goblin-person.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Also, given that possum lifespan is established as 'frighteningly short', it kind of makes sense that her expectations for dating before marriage are really brief. I mean, it's not guaranteed that Poppy's actually into Kit, but I can see it going either way, really.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

mycot posted:

Well. Aaron Diaz probably gets a decent pile of money from Patreon alone.

Speaking of Aaron Diaz, I would like to state that the last two or three pages of Dresden Codak are the most Aaron Diaz thing ever.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Blank white canvases?

Okay, 2nd most Aaron Diaz thing.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What is with this thread and deliberately torturing itself with poo poo it doesn't enjoy.

It took me a bit to parse that sentence too; he's not saying that he's reading 2003-era Penny Arcade, he's saying he wishes that back in 2003 he had been reading something other than Penny Arcade, because there was so much better out there and he didn't realize it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I think it really depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Magic just being magic is great for being generally unobtrusive and just letting you get on with the story. If you need magic to do a Thing, it can do it. But if you go too far with that, conflicts can kind of break down with "why don't they just magic it". Harry Potter is a good example of this approach, in that magic generally does do whatever, but even though it isn't outright stated, theres aspects like how the act of casting a spell is consistent that keeps. It coherent, and allows it to create tension when, say, Harry's wand is knocked across the room.

Taking the rigorously defined route, on the other hand, can become very video-gamely if done poorly (looking at you, opening chapter of The Way of Kings), but it helps for making magic itself an integral focus of the story--Brandon Sanderson loves to have some aspect of magic being key to the plot, and it can be fun to try and puzzle out what's going on. It also lets you do Stand battles if you want to, in that your character is using their defined set of tools to overcome their opponent's defined set of tools. You can do some satisfyingly clever stuff if you set your mind to it.

Both have pros and cons, and on the whole I think the vague approach generally works better, but I'm a total sucker for defined systems.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Personally, it's really interesting to me to think of humans as being just kind of there mixed in with everyone else. I feel like the way this would usually be done would have humans set apart from the animal people--not necessarily better or worse, but not part of the same group. I'm not entirely sure what it is that Poppy does that sells that aspect so well to me--possibly it's the fact that this is the only human we've ever seen--but the fact that Lila happens to be a human feels about as significant in-universe as the fact that the gatekeeper was a seal. I really dig it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

A.o.D. posted:

It's also very nearly the whole explanation for Mary's keyhole.

Oh man, I didn't make that connection, that's a good catch.

Of course, even though that means we know *what* the keyhole is, we still don't know why Mary would have one. Still, that's a big step forward from "Mary is a robot, maybe?".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

Can I be slightly mad at you for going on an indefinite hiatus with You Suck? I underswtand why you did it and all, but I still wanna be mad at you, because I enjoyed that comic.

I would like to second this motion, it was fun.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Tollymain posted:

this is pretty absurd-awesome but i fail to see how this solves anything unless dracula forgot the sun's about to come up or something

You can't post that without the alt-text.

I guess... he turned Dracula into a bat

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Got introduced to Out-of-Placers recently. It's a fun story, good art (the artist makes a concerted effort to improve, too), and some very well thought-out original fantasy races. It's definitely worth a look, I think.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

World Famous W posted:

As some one who likes Out of Placers as well, might as well warn it's main story is about gender and species transformation (and the one off bonus story under the extras is to) and it is kind of obvious that it is the creator's fetish.

I have bad taste in comics.

The bonus comic was a commission l, I think, but you're not wrong, and the Yinglets are the sort of thing that you're probably going to find a bazillion fursonas for if you look. I think the story being told is still fundamentally enjoyable though. Then again, I've definitely read some real trash in the past, so maybe I just have more tolerance for it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Jack you goddamn moron.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Pavlov posted:

Man I loving love the bunny comic. More of you guys should have your childhood traumas memorialized in bunny form.

I submitted mine way back, but he hasn't done anything with it, even though it's a pretty good one (not actually traumatizing, but very much in line with what the comic covers). :argh:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

I didn't think it would be Esther, but even less was I expecting this.

Who's Natalie, again?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, the XKCD guy released that Thing Explainer book, which seems genuinely clever and useful.

He also did those "What Ifs" that were a lot of fun. The comic itself is whatever, but Munroe's an alright guy.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Huitzilopochtli will not be sated until the blood of all the fictional teenagers have fed his altar :black101:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It's not *too* bad, and it's coming from a well-meaning place. It's kind of more of a product of how long the comic's been going that it's as awkward as it is--it may be may own inexperience talking, but I feel like public awareness of trans issues has stepped up by a lot in the past handful of years. It's not great writing, but it's El Goonish Shive what do you really expect.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yvonmukluk posted:

So...are Riley and Scout going to be heading to Tackleford permanently? I mean, the main reason for going to Wales was to keep Tim out of sciencing, and that caravan-turned-into-a-boat has sailed...

Whatever the case, it has me feeling really bad for Riley. Before Hard Yards I didn't like her that much, but now I kind of want Tim to fail.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Granted, I haven't been in or near a similar situation in real life or anything but... shouldn't Tim be doing something to actually address the problem here? Outside the looming threat of Pa Beckwith, he seems pretty content to just work in a startup, live with Shelley, and be more or less completely absent from his daughter's life. Even before the affair with Shelley, he didn't seem that sad about just loving off to live in the woods, talking to nobody.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bell_ posted:

It kills me, because I really liked Susan Ptolemy during Giant Days' original run.

I was going to say, it's been quite a while since I've read Giant Days, but I remember liking Susan a lot. What happened to put her into the role of "Just The Worst"?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

He is 100% assigning her the majority of the blame and acting like he was just innocently suckered in. He's not wrong about Shelley's particular flaws, but he's actively avoiding any kind of real introspection here. He always had a choice in the matter, and what he chose was to cheat on his wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

amigolupus posted:

To add to that, he got banished because he took the blame for Scout messing with his invention. It's kind of...amazing that the one time he actually took responsibility for something, it all spiraled down into this mess.

I'm not quite convinced it's as altruistic as that. Someone on the facebook thread posted--and I'm inclined to agree--that he kind of wanted to be out of that entire situation, and took the opportunity to leave without needing to explain anything. He kind of declared "If Riley knew that Scout did a dumb thing as a 6-year-old, it would forever darken their relationship and that would be bad for Scout", and instead left to live in the forest inventing stuff (eventually destroying said forest)/shacking up with gorgeous rich ladyfriend-with-benefits, without really making an effort to go back. He's just been avoiding making any real decisions.

When Riley separated him from his previous life (which is pretty drat inexcusable, don't get me wrong, Riley is absolutely at fault for that), he went along with it because that was easier than confronting her about it, and this is kind of more of the same.

• Locked thread