Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol, death is right

first funny comic posted in bss webcomic thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Avshalom posted:

fart

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

what kind of fucker reports her posts

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

Something FATE-derived might work. I can't imagine anything rules-heavy would work at all since a big part of the appeal of the background is how the local physics seem driven by a universal narrative rather than any particular set of natural laws.

is that the one where you roll for your rear end in a top hat size

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Heresiarch posted:

I don't know much about it outside of that thread's description but anything with a grid seems like it might be restrictive. At the core it's D&D 4e's combat system which is great for game balance in squad-level tactical combat but not so good for (say) fighting a mile-high construct made of solar plasma and shedded angel carapace while riding on the backs of tamed shadow-garuda.

I thought about something using FATE as a base because of the semi-abandoned project "Soft Horizon" which seemed to handle the kind of scale required for where a K6BD game might go. In my mind, a K6BD RPG would need to be driven by story needs and not rules, and is likely to have characters of vastly different "power levels" but equal plot importance, and systems like FATE are one of several good places to start developing games like that.

Obviously YMMV.

[edit] If this turns into a big discussion then we should take it to tradgames and start a thread there.

that sounds like the glorantha's heroquest system

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
pissssss

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
woah

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
daaaamn

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
woah

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

mycot posted:

To be fair isn't Kate Beaton a personal friend of Diaz too? Maybe he's really nice in person.

He's one of the nicest persons around.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

remember the extremely public meltdown he had over Mary Cagle making a mild joke that, naming no names, implied something negative about his webcomics waifu

Yeah.

From what I've heard from people who have interacted with Diaz irl, he's a belligerent narcist. And the only funny thing about QC are the edits and the fact the artist cuts himself if Tumblr tells him that he drew a fat character not fat enough.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pavlov posted:

Here you can observe a properly garfated QC comic.

Notice that the absence of the joke actually increases the comedic value. This serves as evidence of a possible "antihumor" which QC is theorized to generate. You can learn more about this in my new book The Sound of One Cheek Farting.

keep making these, they're p. good

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is currently in the 3-year Sluggy Freelance endgame.

hasn't it been in that for a few years already?

also, has artist said what he's going to do after it ends?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

at least you can still claim to be the only one with a running DC Simpson shaving fetish joke

what?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I've never read CRFH but I've heard a lot about it and I remember hearing the author had serious depression issues so I wonder if that has something to do with this.

well, that's all webcomic authors

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

khy posted:

Update : Apparently due to the comments system in use on CRFH/Power Nap (Which requires zero authentication of any kind) and the fact that both the author and the artist were incommunicado for so long, trolls went in and started posting using Maritza's name. Apparently Power Nap isn't ending, they're just super slow because they're releasing a book and going to 'cultural events'.

This is what happens when you let your webcomics sit idle for well over a month without a single word about the delays to your fans I guess :v:

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

thechosenone posted:

has anyone read Modern Fried Snake? http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/modernarchive.html

I like it myself, but I want to know what everyone else thinks about it.

I started to read it some years back after someone had linked it here, but stopped because it was boring.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pyroclastic posted:

Truckbearingkibble, last strip sometime around 2009. Domain expired, comics only seem to exist in possibly incomplete third-party archives.
Dubblebaby, last updated 2013. Writer's tumbler no longer exists, artist is still active and is storyboarding with Adventure Time..
Rob & Elliot, last updated 2012. Creator is still doing Hamlet's Danish, although it's sporadic..

good stuff

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Dabir posted:

Alright, fair enough. At least nobody's gone "TRIGGERED :smug:"

dsyp

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Future Days posted:

I'm IRL glad KC's work made it to the small screen. The AS IDs Youtube channel uploaded another bunch of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAyiknD1tLU

meh

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Renaissance Robot posted:

I'm partial to this one, mainly because of the dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcRnC5tkKTo

these are really bad

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Plethora posted:

Why? Should we post links only?
I'll start posting links from now on then.

I don't get why people get so butthurt about webcomics being posted in a webcomics thread.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Tollymain posted:

i would argue that even narnia was obnoxious with its portrayal of religion; you have the good righteous christians and then the evil human-sacrificing (brown) non-christian people down to the south and east whoops

i'm not sure what it is but the story concept of christianity as good just generally doesn't seem to inspire writing interesting to anybody who isn't already pretty invested in christianity

Lord of the Rings?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Bobulus posted:

But then again, Susan gets hard-core rejected by Heaven for doing nothing more than being an adult woman, if I'm recalling correctly. She enjoys looking pretty! She is not in my sight, or whatever.

Yeah, she stops being a friend of Aslan because she puts on lipstick which is the same thing as becoming a whore.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Jackard posted:

In a world chock full of fantasy races, what could possibly be so shocking that evil cannibals would shriek and run at the sight of it? Or turn an entire village against a friend?

hello.jpg

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Rangpur posted:

I just caught up with Daughter of the Lilies, after following the link posted earlier in the thread. I have a weakness for orcs in adventuring parties, you see. Neither the latest page nor the newspost bothered me. Her expressed admiration for Doug TenNapel, on the other hand, has me leery of future developments. Perhaps this is unfair on my part--he is by most accounts a talented artist and storyteller who doesn't let his faith run rampant over the plot. Unfortunately I'm unable to bring myself to read any of his work after discovering he was a godawful homophobe.

However the only tenet of faith expressed in Lilies thus far is "do not summon demons." I'm willing to give the author the benefit of the doubt for now. She may not be the next Tolkien, but I can't begrudge someone wanting to make the attempt.

If you can't read something because the writer has some questionable views you don't agree with, then you'll have to stick to reading only your own Tumblr.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

fritz posted:

Doug TenNapel's pretty vile tho.

Is he a pedophile? Has he raped or killed anyone? These aren't rhetorical questions, I don't know anything about the guy.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

dmboogie posted:

The studio they contracted to develop it stole the Kickstarter money to develop the next King's Quest game, so the Homestuck dudes basically had to start the entire thing over from scratch.

lol

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FlyinPingu posted:

how can you not tell two characters apart when one has prominent freckles and one doesn't have any freckles

like regardless of anything else that's a hard thing to miss!!

yeah, it's a bit silly to mix those too

but i think that she has simplified character design on purpose, so that she can poo poo out a billion comics every week

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Space-Bird posted:

I will kill you with your own katana for this post, hog wilde. That's right, the katana your mother never wanted you to have...

But seriously, the fact that SSSS is basically a daily with that quality of art is beyond impressive.

my body is ready

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cat Mattress posted:

Last time the thread figured it was supposed to be pronounced "Progress".

iirc it was only one tard who thought that

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
if webcomic writers were actually talented they wouldn't be writing webcomics

Hogge Wild fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 26, 2016

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Just Offscreen posted:

Move over Mona Lisa

More like Moon over Mona Lisa.

Empress Theonora posted:

if this is really your attitude towards webcomics in spite of all of the incredible work that's being done what are you even doing in this thread

Space-Bird posted:

mate if you had talent you wouldn't be posting. but seriously.. c'mon dude why do you even post this? what should web comic creators be doing instead? making print comics? like what is your metric for talent? How much money a person makes? Those marvel movies are the pinnacle of human creativity.

It's ok to enjoy things, like yeah there is some crap out there, but like why don't you take some stock in what you are doing with yourself. it's ok to admit there are some pretty neat comics out there, but beyond that earnestly trying to create a comic is pretty hard and puts you in a very vulnerable position. do you need a hug? or have you had bad friends your whole life?

come with me SA poster Hog Wilde... and find a thing to enjoy on the Internet :ghost:

What I wrote was a bit exaggerated. There are many webcomics that that provide entertainment and even a few that are good, like Oglaf and Bouletcorp. And there are also some that are sometimes good eg. KC Green's comics, SMBC, and Steve Lichmann. My metric for talent definitely isn't that the artists/writers are making print comics or loads of money, because most of the print comics are animus, superheroes, or garfields, and the persons who are big earners in webcomics are Jeff Jacks who makes QC, Aaron Diaz who makes robo-amputee-buff-waifu fetish stuff, and the Penny Arcade guys.

Bell_ posted:

Some folks got their start in webcomics and went on to do other things, but their webcomics gave them the exposure to get the opportunity to do those other things.

Iirc Boulet made print comics and illustrations for some children's science thing before making webcomics. I haven't read any of his early stuff. Was it good/popular? And I think that Oglaf's artist had also done some professional work before. Kelly Turnbull who makes Manly Guys Doing Manly Things started her webcomic after she was employed as a professional animator. But I can't remember anyone who made some webcomics and then was later hired to make something else because of their webcomic fame. Maybe Jorge Cham who does the PHD Comics? Does he get paid for touring around talking about procrastination?

Pick posted:

webcomics are fun

On this I unironically agree 100%.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've heard Boulet's comic series are great, but none of them are in English. He got a deal to publish his webcomic posts in English books last May: http://comicsalliance.com/boulet-collected-notes-soaring-penguin-press/ so maybe if those do well enough we'll see some of his older stuff get official translations too

His Dungeon comics can be found in English.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

MikeJF posted:

Girl Genius just brought out a major puzzle piece.

A nose?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Esme posted:

Anyone else reading The Last Halloween? It's pretty good - the humor is a little obnoxious sometimes but I think the art pulls off the cute/creepy/gory tone really well.

Anyway, who's the lady in the most recent update? I get the feeling that we're supposed to remember her, but I don't.

Oh my god I'm an idiot :negative: I just realized who it is.

I don't think that The Last Halloween is anything special, but she has made some good stuff eg.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
If you're too retarded you have to live naked in the dog house.

• Locked thread