Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Same thing that it is with scifi/fantasy authors. Not that I could tell you what that is, but I'm certain it's the same deal.

90% of sci-fi is weird fetish stuff, because 90% of everything is weird fetish stuff? Is this a new corollary of Sturgeon's Law?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

majormonotone posted:

Order of the Stick is allegedly towards the end of the story, though given the author's health problems who knows when it will actually end. Also it doesn't suck as hard as Megatokyo so there's that

Yeah, iirc it's in the middle (maybe 3/4ths through?) of the 2nd to last book right now.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Plethora posted:

Why? Should we post links only?
I'll start posting links from now on then.

This thread occasionally goes dead for pretty long periods of time and is very easy to keep up with.

If it were getting swamped that be one thing but it's not at all. I think you should keep posting your comics in here, either as a link or timg or whatever. They are really good.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hempuli posted:

I'm aware that the point probably isn't that everything would be 100% understandable but the rest of the comic felt like it made sense so that left me confused.

I interpreted that as the protagonist was the "masked monster" all along. When he looked at himself in the past while wearing the mask, that became the reality of it and so that's what he now remembers. That mask didn't exist until Sladislav drew it right in front of him but now that it exists, it's as if it had always existed (it's truly real or whatever). That's why he remembers it before it was made.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 14, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Rangpur posted:

I just caught up with Daughter of the Lilies, after following the link posted earlier in the thread. I have a weakness for orcs in adventuring parties, you see. Neither the latest page nor the newspost bothered me. Her expressed admiration for Doug TenNapel, on the other hand, has me leery of future developments. Perhaps this is unfair on my part--he is by most accounts a talented artist and storyteller who doesn't let his faith run rampant over the plot. Unfortunately I'm unable to bring myself to read any of his work after discovering he was a godawful homophobe.

If it helps, she also mentioned Jason Brubaker as an influence. He was the guy who did remind (and others but that was the only one I've read) and while the christian elements are a bit more obvious now that its pointed out, I didn't find remind particularly preachy either. According to the post she just wants a good story. While there is clearly a religious undertone if she means that she wants the work to stand on its own and be enjoyable even if you aren't reading it solely for that kind of thing then that's fine.

A lot of people let their philosophy/politics/faith/whatever seep into their work and so long as they execute it well and don't let the story become just a vehicle to sell a particular viewpoint it often turns out fine. It's impossible to make a work that is entirely devoid of anything personal that might turn someone off or whatever. At least such a work would be very boring.

TenNapel says pretty awful, approaching Dave Sims (in offensiveness) level poo poo though so I don't blame you for being leery. I don't think your assessment is unfair at all in that respect. Doesn't mean this author is going to end up the same way though. Her comic seems good so far.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Zweihander01 posted:

After binging Daughter of the Lilies I don't really mind if it's got some Christian influences. The bizarre alien angel/vision/aura/whatever is what gives me a good feeling; the people who remember how terrifyingly psychedelic and hosed up angels are supposed to be tend to be pretty knowledgeable and level-headed, as opposed to the White Jesus types. And I gave Kill Six Billion Demons a pass for being pretty heavily inspired by Buddhism and all.

And the main character isn't some Bibleman standin for Jesus, either. She's insecure and anxious and has no idea what she is or how her talents really work. If she's supposed to be Jesus then it's a hell of a fresh take on him instead of being another Aslan or Gandalf leader-type.

I still think she literally has No Face, though.

Yeah, I agree with this. We wont know how things turn out until she finishes the comic, but I have a feeling that the comic is going to end up stronger because of her views rather than the opposite. As was mentioned, its otherwise a generic-ish fantasy comic (Nothing wrong with that and I happen to like them anyways, but there are quite a few of those out there) but if she handles it well, this could be an interesting angle on it.

As Zweihander mentioned, It does make things more interesting that she is going for a terrifying and otherworldly interpretation for her alien angel or whatever it is. The messed up looking angels are definitely the best ones. She is a pretty good creature designer.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ofaloaf posted:

I still want to know what Big Green Smoker's deal is. He's extremely chill with pretty much everything going on around him and has actually been helpful and generous upon occasion, which just makes me think he'll turn out to be a member of the Fantasy Mafia in Dog Rome or some such.

He kinda looks like Koark's dad, so there is at least some small possibility he could be an ancestor of their family. If that's the case, he could be a teller. Would explain his general curiosity about stuff and chill attitude at any rate.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

Finnish is a Finno-Ugric language, meaning that it's closer to Hungarian than to other Scandinavian languages. (Estonian is in the same family, too.) It's also more distantly related to Uralic languages. Swedish, Danish, Norwegian, Icelandic, and co. on the other hand are North Germanic languages, so it's a completely different family, one which as you can guess is related to other Germanic languages, including English.

If the comic took place on the Iberian peninsula, you could have the same dynamic with Castilian Spanish, Catalan, Galego, Portuguese... and Basque.

Yeah, Basque is particularly weird in that it's not related to any of the other languages of Spain at all nor the rest of Europe for that matter. It's just its own thing which is pretty cool.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Another comic that uses infinite canvas as an excuse to make horrible use of whitespace.

Are you talking about needing to scroll down to see panels? Every comic on that website has that format. Makes them easier to view on phones/tablets/etc. It's more of a convention of that style of webcomic than a choice made to make a statement.

Fleuter's other work, Derelict, doesn't use that format for example.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 4, 2016

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Gabriel Pope posted:

It is a bad convention for bad webcomics.

I think calling all korean webcomics garbage because you hate the format is pretty narrow minded but whatever floats your boat. Just avoid that website and all webtoons cause they'll all be like that.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Using a legitimate technique and being bad aren't mutually exclusive. I never said it was a good comic page, but people shouldn't be closed minded about the uses of these things either. :shrug:

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel about it as well.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Tollymain posted:

lio, the lion dude there on the 4th rung of the ladder, was in the dragon chapter wasn't he

Yeah, he's shown up a few times now. He was also at the dinner in the last chapter and told Frederick to contact veil asap while he was there.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

He has a condition that affects his productivity. The strip's always updated pretty much at random.

Burlew also promised too much as part of his very successful Kickstarter and he's still working on some of the rewards.

Yeah he has a chronic health condition that seriously incapacitates him for periods of time. People think it might be something like Crohn's disease but I don't think he's ever flat out said what it was.

Dealing with chronic health BS on top of everything else means Rich has a lot going in his life so it's no surprise that updates can be pretty slow at times.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

mycot posted:

Wait do you mean closed because it was massively lovely or something else.

The thread creator temporarily closed it to give people time to chill out.

People were heated about whether or not Zaid was a compelling character or something I dont know.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

The worldbuilding isn't that complex, but it's definitely poorly-communicated at times.

For me the biggest problem I have is the huge info dump graphic pages in blindsprings. I'd rather have more mystery and none of those pages. (which is what I opted for since I've read exactly zero of them)

I think it's a cool comic and want to see where it goes though. World building is good and important but it's not an excuse for dumping absolutely everything on the reader and make them suffer like you did for the sake of creating a well fleshed out world. Stuff should be revealed organically as you progress through the story.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 2, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Forgall posted:

What's happening with Lackadaisy? It hasn't updated in a while.

The news was updated yesterday. There is a multi page update to kick off volume 3 that's going to be up soon. Patreon folks can see the first page of it already.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

I never minded the newspaper clippings as chapter dividers and stuff but maybe I'm just used to those fantasy webcomics that make whole massive wikis for background info the author can't wait to gush about

True enough, there is definitely an audience of folks who like to get into the nitty gritty details of everything. I think for me the worst case is when an artist decides to start with a 20-30 page intro that's just describing the setting before even introducing any of the characters. Also bad is when a pivotal moment in the comic is interrupted by an info dump full of a bunch of maps and lists, etc. It's that kind of thing that has made me dislike info dumps in general.

At least restricting info dumps to in-between chapters is much better than those even if it's personally not my cup of tea. A wikia is probably a good way to handle it, so long as the story itself is capable of standing on it's own without it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

elektroboot posted:

well, poo poo, apparently the mods agree with you. I sorta wish we could have kept that thread open for discussion at least

There's no way I'm gonna wipe the drive, the laptop itself is a piece of junk that's falling apart, I have no use for it. John said explicitly when selling it, "I will remove passwords and financial information but that is all", so it sure seems like they intended for someone to have all of the photos and stuff in addition to comics. But I won't be posting any of it publicly.

Yeah that's a good call, Don't destroy something that could be irreplaceable but don't just post it everywhere either.

I'm sure 30-40 years or whatever from now, some scholars will be interested in something like that and they can figure out what to do with it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Nice to have Poppy back. Lily making progress is a great sign, though we'll see if Kit winds up neglecting her relationships as much as her sleep schedule.

Using Lily's art progress as a way to show the passage of time is a really neat way to go about it.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

I kinda want that to be an actual plot device now.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, definitely, there is no way that little trinity is coming out of this chapter with all three of them still alive at this point. Like, I'm hoping Maugras gets out alive, but Magnolia has gotten really good at not pulling her punches lately. My money's more on Rjinder killing him, but Lulenski's been a loving dark horse in the "wait, is she really gonna go there?" department, so who knows.

I think for all of Rjinder's problems, Lulenski is definitely worse. If this ends in murder, it's probably her killing Maugras, and then she'll blame Rjinder for it and possibly try to kill him too.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

fritz posted:

The only strong opinion I have about QC is it's really gross how goons react to it.

Yeah, same.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

A little late to the conversation, but: recommending Oh Joy Sex Toy as a webcomic is like insisting that you read Playboy for the articles.

Really? You're joking, right?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

i think it's more, of all the criticisms to level against it, that one doesn't make any sense, basically:

Yeah, this exactly.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, check the bottom row here, that's pretty damning evidence.

Also she talks about her failures making it necessary for people to sign their lives away for her father.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 5, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
That's the weird thing about him. He made so many questionable decisions in his comic but he seems like a decent person who could do a good job at comic making. Like he's kinda a textbook definition of good intentions without ever thinking things through leading up to a complete disaster.

I think part of it was wanting a comic that was "light hearted" and golden age super hero-y but also wanting to tackle serious topics that he is no way equipped to handle. So his tone was always all over the place. Also he has this weird thing about having to make sure that his main characters get constant praise and acknowledgment from side characters which is just weird. If a character is critical, it's either they are secretly trying to encourage the hero or they are some evil wrong-headed person. The dude can't just let stuff happen on a page and have people draw their own conclusions. Instead he has to self insert his own judgments explicitly through the mouths of 3rd party characters and draw maximum attention to every single thing his main characters do. It doesn't work so great when he gives his protagonists flaws that aren't really flaws as well. Or if it is a real flaw, he'll find a way to erase it or make it irrelevant soon enough.

Maybe he's just the sentimental type and he gets so close to his characters that he can't bare for them not to be constantly reassured or for truly bad things to stick to them. But if he actually let his characters breathe and deal with the ramifications of their own decisions then he could probably make a good story provided he never talked about sensitive subjects that he knew nothing about.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm not sure that a looping full-body shock with no sign of pleasure is meant to be a shiver of enjoyment. I could be wrong I guess, but I'm not sure it makes this comic any less terrible, just terrible in a different way.

Have you never heard of a shiver up your spine? Usually electric shocks are represented as happening instantly.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

January's character is that of an awful bully. She's aggressive, threatening, hyper-competitive, and she had just coerced a wimpy character who had accidentally turned out to be the winner of a survival contest to just forfeit, putting him in a terrible situation at home. So of course the #woke readership feels that, as a bully, she's gotta suffer some karmic retribution. And so the author goes on to point out that she's a gay girl so cool it, alright? Except sexism and homophobia don't seem to exist in the NS setting anyway.

NS isn't too bad a webcomic, but it's so very shallow... The author going out to say that such character is non-binary and such other character is gay just feels like tokenism.

This kind of thing happens a lot though with all sorts of comics.

If a character has really negative traits or does something that's terrible, you often get people wishing death on them and everything they are even remotely associated with. I can see a webcomic author telling people to chill when folks get really heated and are out for blood. I think it's more one of those things than said character can't do wrong because they are gay or whatever. Like the amount of vitriol people will get for a fictional character is something else. For that matter, it's a good reason for a comic these days to not have a comments section (since that tends to amplify this sort of thing when it does occur).

It's a good that the author can evoke that kind of emotion but it just gets out of hand in many cases. But you gotta stamp down on that or things get really bad really fast.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

There would still be more variance than this. Back in the early days of webbed comic you'd see groups of webcartoonist friends with a pretty diverse range of styles. Look at the old Homestuck flashes, especially the later ones, you'll see a ton of different art styles on display from the same community. This feels more like people are being taught to draw a certain way for an art school degree and they all get tasked with making a webcomic that ties into their coursework. Either that or the even more :tinfoil: answer, they don't actually draw the comics themselves, there are artists who ghost on dozens of comics for quick cash until they burn out and someone new comes along and that's why every few years there seems like a new style that these comics all seem to be in.

Yeah but it made sense for old Superhero comics were made to conform to a house style because it was easier to maintain the look of the brand, things wouldn't noticeably change too much if one artist was indisposed for whatever reason.

Eh styles get popular and people influence and learn from each other within their communities. Then some people get really tired of that, diverge and do something completely different. Then a community builds around those artists and they all learn from/influence each other and the cycle repeats.

This has been a thing for as long as art has been a thing.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

I think I pointed this out last time we had this discussion, but using Hayao Miyazaki for that is extra screwed up, given that his entire oeuvre pushes the idea that almost everyone turns out to be a good person once you get to know them.

It's also messed up because Miyazaki is known to be a very harsh critic and is dismissive of a lot of other people's art including pretty much all of his contemporaries. So choosing him as some kind of defender against criticism is really bizarre.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Bobulus posted:

...Kid Radd?

Yeah, Kid Radd is the only one to actually use the medium well.

Come to think of it, animated panels playing through a console viewer should have been an obvious thing to do for a sprite comic. I'm surprised there haven't been many imitators of that kind of thing. My guess is sprite comics have such a stigma attached to them that anyone who is going to put that kind of effort is probably just going to stick to a different style anyways. It's a shame though.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Dabir posted:

pixel art, not technically sprites since they're all fictional games

I don't think that's a meaningful distinction. A sprite is still a sprite whether it comes from a game or was custom made. There are quite a few sprite comics that use sprites that were made by the author but they are still sprite comics.

You could have a pixel comic without sprites, but that would be more like a comic where the artist draws out every panel with pixels. But that's not Kid Radd or 8-bit, etc.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 14, 2017

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

All I'm trying to say is while it technically fits the definition it's not the first thing most people think of when they think of sprite comics, because for the longest time "sprite comic" meant "video game sprites"

Eh fair enough, a label is a label and if most people follow that distinction there's no point arguing against it. It does seem strange to me though.

Even then I think Kid Radd would be a weird edge case because all the sprites are "fake" video game sprites anyways.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's apparent from that post that he's aware he's going to lose the majority of his audience if he does it that way. I'm not thrilled by the concept either, but if he can't make himself love the project anymore, it's not going to work out, and it's probably better to do something else than fall into a gradual spiral of longer and longer update delays until the comic just vanishes forever, which is the usual way people do this. It's a shame, but sometimes great things just don't last.

Yeah, I think finishing it that way is better than not finishing it at all. Maybe the ideal solution would be finding an artist and focusing on the writing end of things since he still enjoys that. Though collaborations in general certainly aren't trivial undertakings either, lots of ways for that to be more work than it's worth.

Either way, he's just gotta do what works for him. I just hope this project doesn't burn him out on art all together.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Typical Pubbie posted:

It actually seems like a reliable source of income once you're established.

Eh there are a few exceptions but on average, even if you are making a livable income the amount of work it takes to sustain it is pretty immense. People always underestimate how much work goes into maintaining a comic. If you break it down hourly many successful webcomic artists don't even make minimum wage. Comics are terrible for money. If you have debt(lol artschool) or need health insurance on top of that, then it's even worse if you are a US artist.

There's plenty of good reasons to make a comic, but money sure as hell ain't one of them.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

HorseRenoir posted:

imagine being paranoid about liking furry poo poo in t.y.o.o.l 2017

You can tell whenever the subject pops up cause this thread explodes in post count suddenly and you see a bunch of people who normally rarely post in this thread appear out of nowhere in droves. It's like a seasonal thing at this point.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

yeah that's the one i meant

and lol, looks like i touched some nerves

Nah, I think it's more that your gimmick has worn out it's welcome, at least in here. Go back to the other webcomic thread, I'm sure they'll appreciate it more.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Double Punctuation posted:

I really like when a story goes in directions like those. Early parts of the comic made it seem cut and dry who was the most sinister person around. But that's gradually become less of the case due to both the information we're learning about monsters and the actions the employees are taking. Handling that so gradually is probably the strong point of the comic; too many authors just suddenly pull plot twists out of their asses or go, "Here's a twist you should have seen coming due to this easily overseen detail that you had no reason to be paying attention to!" without any other lead-up whatsoever.

Yeah, I think Lulenski's fall has been pretty well done and is pretty organic and believable. We still don't know what Rjinder's deal exactly is and I'm still looking forward to learning more about him as well. Magnolia pearl really has a knack for characterization in general.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Jesus H Christ there is literally nothing sexual about it. What is wrong with you?

This. If one of them was a boy this would never have been brought up. A same sex crush is not inherently more sexual than an opposite sex one.

Tenebrais phrased it nicely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

And Rjinder pulls ahead in the "Who's The Craziest Person In The Room?" race he's in with Lulenski.

Nah Lulenski is still worse. Barring everything else going on with Rjinder, him enjoying his monster's company and not wanting it gone isn't that weird. Most of the cast feel the same way about their monsters.

And it's not like Rjinder has many friends to begin with either.

• Locked thread