Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Rand Brittain posted:

I have just realized that "Prague Race" is a pun. It's very distressing!

...okay, no, I still don't get it. Kindly enlighten my dipshit self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

:geno:

Well, I mean, I guess you could pronounce it like that. If you had some sort of horrific facial injury.

Still not sure what it has to do with the comic.

SynthOrange posted:

You can only weaponize cum so many times in one comic!

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > Webcomics Thread 4: You can only weaponize cum so many times in one comic!

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I have no idea who Tom Preston is or why I should care.

Necropolis: It's a little sad to see this one run into problems so early on, but dang if these design notes aren't super interesting.

e:

The Meek: Uptight religious guy finally got interesting for me. (Is that Angora's grandfather we met there, do we think? It's been so long I can barely remember what he looked like.)

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Aug 20, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

also, I'm pretty sure that I can locate about 300,000,000 people who would pronounce progress and Prague Race similarly.

Well, don't just stand there man, give us the coordinates! I have the bombers on standby.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone else (still) reading Girl Genius?

How like to Foglios to drag this out for months and then pull a "your princess is in another castle" :haw:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

majormonotone posted:

Yeah the comic itself is kind of bland

I found it moderately amusing.

Though mostly it just makes me wonder what Ms. Heckman found so objectionable. Mr cartoonist please track down your primary school teacher and write a follow up comic.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Darn it Abbadon, post the Patreon already, I've been waiting all day :(

EDIT: And now I'm your first patron! :toot:

Full time updates is so far away :ohdear:

Conscript Six Billion Patrons

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Archenteron posted:

So speaking of Demon-related comics, what's up right now with Ava's Demon? It went on random hiatus awhile back, did one update a month or so ago, and is still in the void right when we got to the really good part.

Ava's is on hiatus while Czajkowski deals with the Kickstarter from the start of the year. I don't know why it's taken up so much of her time (I don't think she had to take this long a break for the last one?) but that's what the word is. Should be over soonish?

SunAndSpring posted:

Artist did some rewrites and redraws to the first part for some reason. The redrawn scenes don't look as good as they used to look.

There was some thing where someone was interested in publishing the comic and wanted her to clean up some of the less family-friendly bits in the first act. Then that fell through?

Agreed on it not looking as good though.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I always figured that particular plot hook was the comic's central plotline and it was always building up to it.

It's not the first time they've called back to it, either- there's this (...which is also super old, in fairness), and that teleportation lamp thing that's floating around somewhere. I think there's a bit in Mechanicsburg dealing with it too? (I'd trawl through the arc to find the exact scene, but I don't have four hours spare right now :v:)

e: That teleportation lamp thing is why the Castle's frozen in time to begin with, isn't it?

IT'S OKAY GUYS I KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON HONEST

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 15, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Zereth posted:

Didn't Baron Wulfenbach show up with Some drat Spark Gizmo and set it off trapping him and everything/body else in the town in stasis?

MikeJF posted:

I don't remember what teleportation lamp he's talking about. But yeah, Wulfenbach froze the town with a gizmo.

I could have sworn blind he repurposed the lamp after Theo and Sleipnir turned up at the Castle with it. But I have just reread the comic and it turns out I do not remember nearly as much of what is going on as I thought I did!

This is the lamp I was talking about : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Alright, maybe it's just an invisibility thing. But I'll bet you there's some weird time/space hijinks going on there too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

K6BD Patreon hit $1,500. Full-time updates! :woop:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Benagain posted:

Okay, can someone help me remember if Gil's infested with a slaver wasp or not? I know he's mind controlled by his dad but I forget if the whole "you're infested" thing was a lie or the truth.

We don't know. He set the wasp eaters off, but we never actually saw him wasped.

...and there was something about Anevka thinking she could control him and then failing?

e: Here we go.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 18, 2015

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

A lantern, is it?

Autonomous Monster posted:

This is the lamp I was talking about : [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

Surely not.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Heresiarch posted:

Is it time for a K6BD thread?

If so, it needs to be named "Kill Six Billion Threads - Reach Heaven Through Posting".

Give it a couple of weeks, see if we sustain this level of posting.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

SunAndSpring posted:

Apparently the K6BD guy released some tabletop game rules for his settings. I'm interested but on the other hand it's yet another Apocalypse World hack.

Ja. /tg/ are looking over it right now.

I don't know anything about PBTA. Is it good, bad? Abbadon's given us a class where you get to play an entire gang of hoodlums, is that sort of thing common in *world hacks?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

So I think Trudy Cooper has decided Sithrak is the funniest joke left in Oglaf? I'm not sure she's wrong.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

"I will give you multiple solutions" is my favourite line in Oglaf.

I prefer "We need no knob ruckus"

Actually anything involving the Fellatiocrat is divine :allears:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

SD - Mary, I dunno what your game plan is for making me empathise with Undine but this isn't helping.

What, you can't empathise with wanting not to be hounded by the press after seeing your friends butchered in front of you?

I mean, I thought "saw her friends butchered" was enough by itself...

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Fortis posted:

Every time I see the loving cat one I am rendered completely miserable and am then compelled to go hug my cat, and let me tell you, she's getting really tired of my poo poo at this point.

The kitten in SSSS has been extremely cute this week. :3:

Everyone post cute kitties doing cute things.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Giant Ethicist posted:

There was a hint of horror elements resurfacing when Leona's hand thing seemed to take her over in Colin's room a bit back, but I guess nothing came of that?

I realise it feels like longer when you're reading it day to day, but it's only been 18 pages since that. Leona's parasitic ghost hands and impending death haven't been forgotten, they're just not immediately relevant to this scene, the scene that is in fact the only scene that has occurred since the last scene where it was relevant.

I agree that it's lacking urgency, though. They're sat around humouring this dude because Colin feels compelled to work off his debt to hand-ears lady, and Leona refuses to either abandon him or frog-march his sorry backside back through the portal. Colin only incurred that debt because he deliberately chose to take a job rather than have her cancel the cheque (and, to be fair to him, from his perspective it didn't seem like he had many options at that point). The only reason hand-ears lady had to cut a cheque in the first place is because some rear end in a top hat decided it'd be fun to sell Colin for parts instead of rescuing him, and the only reason that flew is because in this world, a world Colin never wanted to come to, humans are unpeople. There's a reason for it and it's all consistent with the characters as presented, the problem is that, while ostensibly our protagonists are held hostage by circumstances beyond their control, it doesn't feel as if any of the other characters would care much if they decided to just disappear. There's no active antagonist, so the only reason we're stuck here is that Colin is lawful stupid.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pavlov posted:

It's just that trying for dark and gritty or a deconstruction probably just makes it unpalatable for people who do like that stuff without making it any better for people like me.

A dark and edgy take on the magical girl genre isn't exactly a strange new concept. Or even a particularly uncommon one, to be honest. Cagle's explicitly citing Madoka as one of her influences here, and that was both a) literally a story about soulless alien abominations manipulating pubescent girls into fighting demons so they could strip-mine their emotions for energy, wherein basically the entire cast is brutally murdered at least once, and b) a critical and commercial smash hit.

Rand Brittain posted:

It seems more like "what if Ami Mizuno were the main character".

Amusingly enough, it is exactly that:

quote:

Sailor Moon, and its many followers, are obviously a big influence in the makeup of the original team. One of the founding ideas of the comic was “what if the Water Member of one of these teams became the main character?”, because that never happens ;0

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh hey, is "I have it together now" girl finally coming apart?

I don't know this comic well enough to remember anyone's names, but I remember her falling out with the other one.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pyroclastic posted:

Para-Ten, final strip in 2011, but all image links are broken, original site taken over. Creator still active on twitter and tumblr, but still links to the broken site.

Am I misremembering, or did this get taken down because the author got it printed? I know he stopped doing Quiet and Slow because he felt like he "didn't have to anything to prove any more".

e:

Well then

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Oh hey! Necropolis fixed its image scaling problem. When did that happen?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

String Theory's been back for a while, and it's been truckin' away. Schtein has found his way back to being his old annoying self.

It's a shame that he's not going to go chasing after his old lab assistant, I wanna see more of what she's been up to.

Jesus, I completely forgot the lab assistant existed. She was cool. :(

Hoping to see more of Schtein's daughter, too.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Autonomous Monster posted:

Jesus, I completely forgot the lab assistant existed.

Another think I forgot: http://www.stringtheorycomic.com/comics/chaptertwo/page-thirtysix/

:catstare:

That puts a whole new spin on the latest scene.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 12, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

You know, I really feel like I do not like MGDMT nearly half as well as it deserves. It just... fails to hold my attention.

In other news:

I am extremely ready for some fresh mad tiger/crazed dictator shenanigans, oh yes

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone linked Sword Interval and I've been reading it. Interesting. I like the art.

Fall is the Beast of the Apocalypse, right?

Huh. How long has webtoons.com been hosting original English-language series?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I guess this is the day I admit that I read It's Walky end to end and enjoyed it. Well, I enjoyed swathes of it- the tone and the plot is all over the place in that early webcomic way.

Shortpacked was really dull though, and DoA is rapidly burning off any residual affection I had for these characters.

what the gently caress is thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiissssssssssssssss

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

Speaking of demon-based comics, Ava's Demon finally updated with a big video.

It's a hell of a loving video, too. :stare:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

They think the emperor's a loose cannon and a threat to the empire because he won't listen to them/is too liberal. I think. Vattu's pacing is so slow I can remember basically none of the fine details unless I've just reread the thing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Motherfucker posted:

They implied plant-woman was her friendo at some point but I don't get it since she doesn't act like a person so much as a dog with rabies, although I guess her and Ava's lovely demon probably bonded together over their mutual hatred of all living things.

Their friendship's implied to have been when they were both very young, before either of them turned into terrible people. I think it might even be implied that Maggie's the way she is at least partly because Wrathia decided to start acting out BPD or whatever in her best friend's body.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Do they really count as friends if only Gil cares about her well-being and that's in more of a concerned doctor way than a friend way?

Well, Odin seems to be coming around :unsmith:

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Can one of the two other people on these forums who admits to reading bcb remind me what the deal with final fantasy cat Augustus is?

I vaguely recall there being a single chapter that fleshed out his character and set up his relationship with Lucy, but I don't remember what that actually was beyond both of them being in the "contemplating suicide" club.

Context: today's page has confused me.

Some evil whim led me to pick up BCB the other day. So, uh, basically every single character is the shambling wreckage of a human being animal person, huh? :shepface:

Anyway, the why of Augustus starts here: https://www.bittersweetcandybowl.com/c86/p1.html

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

"Micturate"

I do so enjoy learning new words.

(Can't say I'm all that hyped for more Erin, but I am ridiculously happy to see Le Garcon back and de-horsed).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

I check it like three times a year so I dont know when the last update was but a woman pulled a sword out of her mouth and that wasnt happening last time I checked.

is it dead?

It updates like once a month. I can't really remember what the deal is but there's dram poo poo bleeding into the real world right now.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Pavlov posted:

Man I always forget how weird girl genius is.

That's a shame. Its stalwart dedication to taking "a world wall to wall with vaudeville villains and mad science" to the logical extreme is its greatest strength.

Someone remind me, isn't Zola a Lucrezia now? Did she do some sort of mental judo pin on the brainwashing?

I can't recall, and rereading the castle arc fills me with primal dread is something I don't have time for today.

e:

ZearothK posted:

Esther's for maximum awkwardness. Bad Machinery is a few years ahead of Giant Days, right?

^^:argh:

Closer to a decade, I think. Giant Days is Esther's early uni experience, but in Bad Machinery Eustace had been out of uni long enough to get fat and become a failed adult.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a big Kubera fan, but I kinda suspect most people will be put off by the art and the glacial pacing.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Elysiume posted:

I didn't have any particular issues with the art, but the glacial pacing and relentless stupidity of the MC drove me nuts.

Kubera isn't really stupid, per se. She's hella ignorant, and a whole bunch of people conspire to keep her that way because it suits them, and a lot of the time she likes to pretend she's less insightful than she is, usually for emotional reasons. But on the rare occasion she's in possession of all the facts and she lets the mask slip she's shown to be quite intelligent.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

smug n stuff posted:

Ava's Demon updated yesterday, after ~6 months(?) of hiatus, if anyone's interested in that.

It was alright and I eagerly await next year's update. :colbert:

(Next year's update is scheduled for tomorrow, apparently :toot:)

e: Re: the Meek, I surprised Rana's taking her father's part here. I've never been certain of it, but I always this page this page had her pegging him for her mother's murder. Guess not.

(As much as I like Mare Internum, I really wish Der-shing would get done with it and start focusing on the Meek.)

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Renaissance Robot posted:

Wait I thought that guy got viscerally murdered by some cultists

Nah, they were inducting him into their cult or something.

• Locked thread