Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've been practicing 3-D modeling recently and did a quick render of your lead character

That was a magical few pages. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think the other person saying 'gosh' in italics is supposed to be being admonishing, but it's such a weak response it doesn't really have any impact. 'Are you for loving real' might have done it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

MockingQuantum posted:

Catching up on long-running joke-a-day webcomics makes me wish I was reading anything besides Penny Arcade circa 2003.

What is with this thread and deliberately torturing itself with poo poo it doesn't enjoy.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Wittgen posted:

Humans are animals too, so who cares if there are humans are around. All Morbi said against humans in anthropomorphic animal worlds is that it's stupid when they're special.

Head attendant to God seems pretty special to me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Carrasco posted:

My two cents is that Poppy deserves its own thread because it's not gonna be as much fun to catch up on it all at once if everyone posts about it here every time it updates.

We could use spoiler tags for recent updates, or even just in general.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 17, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Also the weirdos who are bandying about monkey comparisons because she isn't lily white, which comes off racist as hell. "No Human has that skin tone" my rear end.

She looks very slightly animalised because of the upturn on the mouth, which is a fairly iconographic way of representing a snout or muzzle, and because the bottom of her feet are very deliberately lighter, like pseudo-pawpads. It could just be a way of blending humans a little more into the setting, of course, and is just generic animalism rather than representing any specific species.

Jumping to not white therefore monkey is some real loving :stare: right there, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 20, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

The rest I can't comment on, but the palms and bottom of the feet having lighter coloration is a thing in pretty much all humans. It just only shows up clearly on particularly tan or dark skinned folks. I could see how some particularly fair skinned internet people might not know about it, though. :shrug:

That's true, I didn't really think about that. Although it's probably not important and I can see this subject going down like the Hindenburg, so I'm gonna stop right here.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Man, I like Lila. She's literally treating Freidrich like a pet who's having a grump, like when you whisk up a cat into your arms and go "aaawww, who's a grumpy widdle kitty cat?" because you know they hate it. She's great. More Lila please.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

God drat it, the current chapter of Gunnerkrigg Court is absolutely nerve-wracking. It's dived right into a major plot point that has been on the agenda for years, and it's so tense you could hear a pin drop. Every page in the series has had an author comment, but there are none this chapter. It's a real return to form.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I feel like Leona is heading for a big fall. Like she is getting somewhat pointedly unhinged and not just because of the killer parasite that she refuses to get treated for reasons.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

It's been kind of a thing in Prague Race that everyone in the main cast except poor Miko is terrible, terrible, terrible.

Except the werewolves, who are best buds with everyone and just love life.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I stopped reading Dr McNinja years ago, so I've been catching up. Eight hundred pages deep, just another thousand to go! :dance:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I had a book about chickens when I was younger and one of them gets killed by a fox who then taunts the other chickens about it. Didn't do me no harm.

It was called Atilla the Hen, it was real good when I was 8 years old.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Latchkey Kingdom is cute enough for me to keep reading, but it always feels a bit underdone. In the last chapter a monster takes on Willa's form and turns out to be cool so they all become bestest buds, and no-one seems fussed about why it did it, how it took on Willa's memories and why it seemed to genuinely believe it was Willa and flipped out when it found it wasn't. It's not like it's some minor detail, it's the entire central mystery driving the story; I'm pretty sure I'd have some questions to ask my shapeshifting clone no matter how nice they are. Kingdom overrun by a weird chicken proto-hivemind? Probably needs some off the wall solution, right? Nope, just poison the fuckers with corn. Good call by Rosaline there.

I don't expect a lot of drama or some intricate world building, but it feels like each plot thread is sort of undercooked or the interesting part is never resolved to a satisfying degree, which works fine in the side chapters (like the current one) but not so much for the longer main chapters. Which is a shame, because it's a fun world with fun characters; Psyche could push himself a lot more with each story and still have it be light, charming and fun.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 21, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think Mary is doing a little more than that, unless completely derobing then diving under the covers is what all the kids are doing nowadays prior to fellatio and I'm just really out of touch.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Turns out Astral Aves didn't stop updating suddenly a couple of years back, it was just yet another comic whose bookmarking broke in Comic Rocket, so I actually had 200 more pages to read. Good lord, but webcomics badly need a standardised archiving format.

Anyway, Astral Aves is cool as hell and I may have to give it a re-read now that I have more of a handle on the lore, because it just drops you right in the middle of its world and expects you to keep up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The current chapter is so good. After a few meandering chapters the main plot has returned with a vengeance.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Demon would make a superb multiplayer game; you'd try to murder each other by killing everyone around them and being the closest to them, but avoiding them doing the same, and you'd never be quite sure which new body they had jumped into.

I'm not sure it holds up so well as a comic though; it's a riot of stuff happening until the stuff ends and you don't really have any feelings either way because it forgot to make the main character someone you can empathise with in any way.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

They seem to get more intense in their conviction the more he tells them they're wrong.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I can kind of understand that in real life, when there are actual people in front of you that you want to save face in front of, but all the people bitching about it are anons. They literally have no face that needs saving.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I love Bad Machinery and how unashamedly British it is, but there's so many pages in that universe spread over several comics on their own separate URLs, so it's hard to go back and hoover up the entire archive.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Sure, but it badly needs a main site to amalgamate everything, with an archive detailing which chapters of what come in which order. It's not fantastically complicated, but the various series have gone on long enough and have enough interconnection between the cast that getting a handle on it all is a lot of work with basically no assistance from the author whatsoever.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Yep, that'll do, thanks!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

With violence off the table, I'd like her to mom it up and just treat everyone she disagrees with like they're a child throwing a tantrum; either say "that's nice dear" and basically ignore them, be incredibly condescending ("oh that's a lovely idea, I'm going to put it riiiiight here on the fridge") or just send them to their room.

Then they do it out of sheer surprise and wonder why.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

500 pages into Doctor McNinja, just 1500 to go. :downsgun:

Good thing the holidays are coming up.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kiskaloo looks cute, but the eight year hiatus does not fill me with confidence. I'll go have a look at it though!

Edit: Although I see he wrote a post to go with the new site with a timetable for new pages that he appears to have kept to, so that's good.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 7, 2016

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm 800 pages into Dr McNinja. Still not halfway through. :eng99: It's good, but King Radical feels kind of forced; they even acknowledge in the comic that McNinja has no good reason to keep going after him again and again, but rather than fix that they just keep bringing him back until he's had enough screen time to justify him being a regular.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's adorable in a sad sort of way that the best anyone has to say is that it's regular and reliable, like a pensioner talking about fibre.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Death Ray posted:

Muh latest. I'm pretty proud of my techno-spaghetti starships, much to the consternation of the elders of my small, Amish community.

I feel like this didn't get enough love, because this is a really good looking page.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

It's cool, it just means Lily still really loves her and is too young to understand why that's weird.

The real :stare: part of the page is that sheep's nail job. When you have that much ground to cover I feel like you'd just do the back or edges, not the entire hoof.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Avshalom posted:

perfect! thanks botl, i'll send you the royalties by messenger keet

Does he get to keep it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

What creature has three legs in the evening?

Me, when I see a sphinx. :heysexy:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I revealed my tamest darkest secrets for nothing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

This is why no one likes the British

You haven't lived until you've survived the Magic Roundabout.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The British regard the Magic Roundabout with the same sense of unknowable terror that Americans regard normal roundabouts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm about 300 pages off being all caught up on Dr McNinja. It has been a marathon slog, but pretty good overall.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm just catching up on the last few pages now after a monster marathon from the beginning. It really doesn't feel like there needs to be a heavy ending. Like it could have just ended with King Radical being killed, he gives his parents poo poo for dropping him in a trap, but it ultimately ends as it started, in sitcom fashion. Other than King Radical, there really isn't a central story to be resolved or brought to a close, and the whole doctor/ninja conflict is at best a framing device/running joke.

Like, it's okay to simply say that this is the final chapter, major plotlines are resolved, minor themes and stories can stay hanging around to give a sense of the world continuing, then you just don't make any more chapters. It isn't dropped, it doesn't close every door, you just tidy up then announce that the show's over, folks. That probably would have been the best and most fun option here.

Still, it ended, and in a reasonable fashion. I'll still take that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The Lord of Hats posted:

Got introduced to Out-of-Placers recently. It's a fun story, good art (the artist makes a concerted effort to improve, too), and some very well thought-out original fantasy races. It's definitely worth a look, I think.

I adore interesting fantasy races and there are indeed several distinct, cool races with a lot of thought put behind them, and some of the humour is pretty on point.

I'd hesitate to recommend it without warning that it occasionally sails a little too close to the waters of Deviant Art furry hell, with occasional stiff artwork and some questionable humour about scrawny rat dicks. I don't think it's about to dive into the abyss or anything, but fair warning.

I do love the Yinglets though, and Kaz's utter disgust at being part of a race of suicidally stupid rat things is pretty great.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I read through [un]Divine just in time for it to update and oh my god, tiny pocket Baphomet. :psyduck: I wants one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

A little late to the conversation, but: recommending Oh Joy Sex Toy as a webcomic is like insisting that you read Playboy for the articles.

• Locked thread