Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

JuniperCake posted:

Really? You're joking, right?

Yeah, mostly; there's nothing wrong with what OJST is trying to do and I have no real opinion on it otherwise.

But when someone is asking for fiction with relatable queer characters and the first recommendation is a dildo review site I'll be damned if that gets to pass without comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I know webcomics do sometimes come back from the dead and I wish it would, since I thought it redeemed a needlessly mean opening set of pages with some cool animation and interactive stuff and a much improved tone as it went on, but Prequel is super loving dead. A hiatus is one thing, ostensibly working through one update for a couple of years and not getting it done is quite another, no matter how big and fancy you claim it to be.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Eh, I like Poppy and Kit as a platonic pairing, but their relationship is basically a young woman dating a homely fifty year old - I know Poppy is only 20, but then Lily has grown enormously both physically and mentally in under three years, so they obviously don't match human maturity rates.

I don't hate it, because Poppy and Kit are a fun pairing, but making it a romantic pairing rather than being close friends doesn't really work for me, regardless of any story threads you can pull out of it.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 12, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, I quite liked the fact that Astral Aves just dropped you into the middle of a world and let you pick up the details as it went on, and I've always felt that it was building up to kicking off the main story with a nice, slow burn.

But with the villain apparently making his move and the main cast just kind of ignoring him, stalling him with their hijinks and generally not making any kind of plot happen for quite a few pages now, I'm starting to have my doubts.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

readingatwork posted:

Screw the haters this poo poo is adorable.

For five panels the joke is that he shocks himself because he doesn't slot the other half of the controller in, but then in the last panel it's clearly in place, so the entire premise of the joke is completely gone. How do you gently caress up your punchline like that? What even is the punchline, since he clearly worked things out?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, so does he like electric shocks or clicking? You get to pick one to have a coherent joke. Also he doesn't look like he's enjoying himself in the final panel.

I think the author just hosed up the last panel by forgetting that the second controller wasn't meant to be there, but it stops the entire strip from making sense.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm not sure that a looping full-body shock with no sign of pleasure is meant to be a shiver of enjoyment. I could be wrong I guess, but I'm not sure it makes this comic any less terrible, just terrible in a different way.

Edit: I'm definitely wrong, although I stand by my opinion that it's still a really bad comic.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 23, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I have never understood the appeal of the bubblewrap thing, or clicking poo poo, or anything remotely related. Also at work we have giant bags of packing peanuts the size of a grown man, where everyone who passes, without fail, jams their arm in all the way and tells me they want to dive into the bag, a thought that has never once crossed my mind.

I am a sad and broken man.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think what really threw me was the reaction being a looped animation separated into its own panel, which implies it's an ongoing reaction (like electrocution). It's a nice animation, but I probably would've left it either as a still image or combined into the same panel.

Edit: I can dig this hole all night long if I have to. vvvvvvv

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 23, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Morbi, go back and look at the last two Tumblr asks you answered. They're like the internal voice people use to put themselves down made flesh, and you're giving them air time over people who don't actively delight in making you feel like poo poo.

Just, consider turning off your asks or something, get your feedback and criticism from friends and family and artists who actually want you to succeed. I'm not saying it's going to make you feel differently about what to do with Poppy in the long run, but however much it may seem fun to wind these people up with deadpan responses, people like that are poison to a person's mental wellbeing. Don't do that to yourself.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 15, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lackadaisy works because the character design reflects and strengthens the tone of the series and the characters themselves.

All I know of Major/Minor is what I just looked at on its Steam page, but the characters appear to be anthros for no actual reason, and that's okay for occasional characters to add variety to the cast, such as in fantasy/sci-fi series, but once it becomes the entirety of your cast then people are going to ask why. And if it doesn't bring something to the story, setting, tone or themes that a human cast wouldn't comfortably do then that's when it drops into niche interest territory by default, regardless of any actual weird or creepy content.

Although going 'b-b-but furries!' about Lackadaisy of all things is just adorable.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Jun 16, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Gingerhazing/statuses/880887836160831488

It wouldn't have happened without Ninona being published as a graphic novel first, since that's where it really caught people's attention, but still, good for her.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Okay, I'm over halfway through It Hurts!. Good on it for sticking to its guns until page 100 dropped, but it is at once really good and the worst garbage I've ever read. Which describes everything I like, so hey ho.

Anyway, I want to recommend Animal Court. It's very recently started, mainly on Tumblr but also on Itchio. It's more a bunch of vignettes than a comic proper, but it's pretty cute.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Pr-whoa-se Poppy.

There was no less tortured a way to write that, I'm so sorry.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 13, 2017

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

If anyone needs Halloween costume ideas for this year, Prequel will have been dead with a hollow fascimile of life for two years exactly this coming October 31st.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Which will come first, the big update or the last major browser removing Flash forever.

Edit: In fact, isn't there like three years left on that happening?

• Locked thread