Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

qntm posted:

Let's Speak English needs to be in the OP because it is a lovely weekly web comic about teaching English to small children in Japan.

E: this is also my suggested link whenever the thread gets bogged down talking about something unpleasant and everybody needs to talk about something else instead.

I'd also recommend Mary Cagle's main webcomic Kiwi Blitz for the OP too to go along with Let's Speak English.

I don't mean to clog the list either, but here's a few more webcomics with some loving amazing art and pretty good stories that people should probably check out too:
Everblue
Derelict
Awaken
Thistil Mistil Kistil
The Zombie Hunters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Monster Pulse feels increasingly like just straight-up Pokemon instead of a subversive twist on Pokemon.

It's a subversive twist on Digimon :eng101: There's a huge difference.

That said, I'm actually surprised how quickly Violet's become my favorite character in the series. The one-two punch of resolving her psychological bullshit and pairing with Julie to be the ultimate straightwoman was an inspired choice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Close, it was actually two chapters before, and it was what tipped them off that Violet had brainwashed her own dad.

Quoting an old post, but Jesus Monster Pulse has been on fire lately. Magnolia's character work is so good it's actually made me feel awful for the comic's resident sociopath mad scientist because his sort-of girlfriend/research partner just suplexed him under the bus to save her own rear end... And the kids' too, but I'm sure they're an after thought.

I love Rjinder and Lulenski. They're so hosed up that they deserve each other but will probably end up killing each other if Rjinder doesn't mellow the gently caress out anytime soon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Are you sure about that? I'm pretty confident that the woman tearing him a new one isn't Lulenski. I think it's an unrelated executive that's just drawn kind of similarly.

Edit: Herp derp I should read the comments, Magnolia posted that the woman isn't Lulenski, it's the executive seen in panel three of this page.

So it is. I thought it was another example of Magnolia radically altering a character's appearance between long absences ala Rafi. Well, that makes me happy that it's not Lulenski tossing Rjinder under the bus because that did seem wildly out of character for her. But I still think things are going to end horribly between the two of them this chapter.

I do have to wonder though, Magnolia has said repeatedly that MP is Digimon Tamers with body parts, so I've kind of been waiting for Rjinder to pull a Yamaki and finally get his head out of his rear end. Because there's a kernel of a decent person in there, but who knows it might be better if he actually go down in flames on the cusp of redemption,

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

chiefnewo posted:

Same.

Also I find it amusing to pretend that Rjinder isn't going to something bugfuck crazy about Shell being wound up. Instead the whole problem fades away, with the teens having no idea why they're suddenly not being pursued any more, not knowing that bureaucracy and economics were their saviours.

Again, Magnolia said the comic was based off Digimon Tamers. At his lowest moment in Tamers, Yamaki, a grown rear end man, strangles a 12 year old when his master plan unravels in front of him. I can only wait with mounting horror to see what Rjinder, Yamaki's analog in the comic, does to one of more of the kids with his hosed up skin monster.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I'm so glad this is updating again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carrasco posted:

Let's talk about literally anything else. I'll go first.

MONSTER PULSE!

So as someone pointed out in the comments, Rjinder has led Lulenski to believe the monsters don't have any kind of will or personality of their own. This seems really critical in what she's been saying and doing the last few strips, in particular the way her offer is stated--"return the monsters safely to your bodies" is something that, from her point of view, would sound unambiguously good to the kids. It also seems that this is What Lulenski Said, and the kids' refusal of it means that the reason they were attacked in the last chapter was to get them to come in for Shell.

(I still feel like Team Rocket has absolutely no idea what's really going on here, and a lot of trouble could have been saved if anyone had talked about anything. But when superpowered monsters are involved, the situation sort of comes pre-escalated.)

Knowing the way Magnolia loves to gently caress with people's expectations, I wouldn't be surprised if the deus ex machina device proves too good to be true and just makes things even worse / gets someone killed. That said, I'd love to see Bina's reaction when confronted with the choice to have Ayo reintegrated with her, because she's sort of come to terms with the fact that she's probably not going to live to see her 20s because of her, but it would also mean giving up someone who means the world to her emotionally to have her "normal" life back. Tough choice.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carrasco posted:

Ehh, I don't think the choice is even gonna come up, just because she distrusts Shell that much. And because the thing probably isn't even going to work. It seems more like they're going to force her to try it, or they would have if Team Rocket had actually been able to bring them in.

(Of course, I'm still getting ahead of myself here assuming that's what the attacks last chapter were all about, but it seems like a safe bet.)

Oh yeah, the B-Team was definitely sent out to bring them in by force. All their dialog points to it. Though I'm guessing that has more of Rjinder's fingerprints on it than Lulenski's, because Enid straight up tells West that she'll kill him if that's the only way to bring Guzzy back to Shell and it won't be that big of a deal, especially since we now know that getting their hands on Guzzy was their #1 priority in that whole debacle.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, I stand corrected. Lulenski, you slimy bitch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
You know, I hope their attempt to bring Roger back flops spectacularly now. Just because in hindsight, Roger seems to be the least awful person working for Shell (aside from Ned and Wilbur) and is too good a person to be associated with these jackasses. I was right the first time; Lulenski and Rjinder really do loving deserve each other.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

She jumped off the slippery slope and just decided to laser drill herself right down to the core.

God drat, I mean Shell has been stupidly evil since the beginning, but this is above and beyond.

Wouldn't that be something if, after everything's said and done, that Rjinder actually turns out to be the decent human being in their relationship? :allears:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

RoboCicero posted:

Monster Pulse has been on a roll lately. I find stories of good people doing bad things and the justifications they make for them great, but this is also the right amount of silly.

Poor Lulenski. Can't be good to be reminded of Roger like this. Also I'm glad in general the children seem to have a empathetic connection with their monsters since otherwise uh, losing your head means you'd be deaf, blind, and mute forever :gonk:

Magnolia Porter mentioned somewhere that Monster Pulse was partially inspired by Pokemon and while the story definitely hits the same beats you can't argue that it's way more effective and interesting than Another Fan Comic Where Charmander Dies Slowly In The Rain. I think it's awesome and a great lesson in how doing original content can really be great in terms of stretching yourself.

Digimon Tamers, actually :eng101:. She even included copyright-friendly versions of the main trio of Tamers as background students at Bina's school. See: Not-Takato and Not-Rika in the first panel here.

Also the comic hasn't come down one way or another on it yet, but it seems to be implying that Enid's consciousness is in her head monster and her body is just a clumsy puppet now. Either way, yeah, she got the most hosed up out of everyone so far, second only to Rjinder in terms of monsters..

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Really? I got the exact opposite impression. That would be pretty hosed up, though.

There's any number of viable possibilities, really: 1) Enid's in her head and the "monster" is actually what's left of her body. 2) Enid became a hosed up amalgam as her head monsterized and rewrote her consciousness like Anima sort of did to Violet (it would explain why she's a little too cavalier to try and literally eat West whole). or 3) Enid's in the body, and is in fact a dead, mute, and blind dullahan now, and her monster's in the head and was able to form its own human-like consciousness by jacking her brain matter as it constituted itself.

I'm leaning more towards 1 or 2, though if there's one thing Magnolia is brilliant at, it's flipping people's expectations over completely, so who really knows...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Is it just me, or does Rjinder on that last page remind anyone else of someone...

:science:

"Pull the level, Wanda! ... WRONG LEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR *sploosh*"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Carrasco posted:

Oh man. "I can't believe I let you talk me into this", like everything else about this storyline, is both realistic and darkly hilarious.

Also even they don't know what Enid's deal is.

I love how Rjinder's dialog is all coldly analytical, but his eyes and body posture are screaming "Oh poo poo, I'm going to hell for this, aren't I?" That was a nice touch.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 3, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

I don't think anyone remarked on Sunday's page, which really cemented why Rjinder is the main antagonist for the story. He's so open, heartfelt, and honest about his corruption, it sends shivers down your spine. Few people have it in them to suggest and implement such a despicable plan, even less can take pride in inspiring someone to do so. :moreevil:

At the same time, Magnolia said in the blurb for that page that he's also trying to comfort her because he sees she's having a mental breakdown, he just doesn't know how to do it properly because he has zero social skills so it comes across as brokenly creepy and evil.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
http://www.monster-pulse.com/comic/page-24-cover

Every time I see one of these flashback title pages I hear the song from that one Eureka 7 ending credits sequence that's basically "here's some pictures of war orphans, child soldiers, and miscellaneous broken human beings".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

I remember when Psyche posted in these threads and he always seemed to have trouble getting a new idea off the ground after that Sparky the Hellhound short comic he did, but he struck gold with Latchkey Kingdom. It's adorable and the character designs really suit his style.

I'm still a little bummed that 70 Seas was basically wiped from the internet. I really liked it. It was a fun story/concept/world, even if he had a little trouble sticking the landing with chapter/story arc endings. It always felt like it ended one chapter too soon. Like all the stars had finally aligned for what could have been a great finale and then, THE END, it's over :smith:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 23, 2016

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wrist Watch posted:

This is how the comic appears if you go to their site.

For gently caress's sake people, stop hosting webcomics on tumblr if you aren't going to go through the effort of writing/obtaining css to make it actually readable without clicking through each panel individually unless that is specifically the design you're going for. This just makes me feel like I got bait and switched; I thought I was going to read pages of a comic, not click through a slideshow. It could easily be fit into a normal sized page too, it's just chopped up for...reasons, I guess.

I read a little of it and it looks like it's "catering to tumblr" the webcomic but say what you will, they raised three times the amount their first kickstarter did in four days so good for them I guess? I can't find anything the author's done to raise such a fanbase besides this comic, so good for her I guess.

I know both io9 and The Mary Sue promoted the hell out of it when its Kickstarter went online. That's where I found out about it. I've got it bookmarked in my "to read" pile, but yeah the godawful formatting on its host tumblr is really off-putting.

Also, if we're plugging cool webcomics, here's one I found a few months ago that's kind of flown under the radar that's about to start it's sixth chapter after like a 3 month delay: Color Blind. It's a pretty nifty fantasy webcomic that does some fun things with colours/grayscale and it's all done on pen and paper. The art and story start out a little rough, but it's gotten incredibly good lately on both fronts.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

So, might be jinxing it but I think Rules of nature is about to ensure in Kiwi Blitz.

Has anyone actually died in Kiwi Blitz yet? Also yeah, I can see this situation going horribly awry for Steffi very quickly. Gear probably is the one character in the comic who would just straight up kill someone on screen. Plus Jones has kind of been Ramsay Bolton-levels of great at playing people off one another and tooling the good guys in a way that doesn't look like it's changing any time soon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ConanThe3rd posted:

Balls, I had wondered about it.

Sounds like he and the Hiveworks guys sort of came to blows too :ohdear:

Shame. Though it kind of sounds like Hiveworks is a bit of a rolling shitshow over all. Like, a quarter of their of creator catalog has flatout stopped updating their comics, and they willing plug hot garbage like Goblins while rejecting actual good comics like Thistil Mistil Kistil out of hand. Who knows, maybe Ciurczak's in the wrong here, but it wouldn't at all surprise me to learn that Hiveworks is just as scummy and mismanaged under the hood as Channel Awesome is.

Anyways, I plugged it about a page back but it gone buried under Pictures for Sad Children bullshit drama, but Color Blind is finally properly updating again after like half a year's hiatus :woop:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

In Monster Pulse news, dammit Bina, stop being a douche. Dammit, Abel, stop selling yourself sort to yourself all the drat time.

That's one of the things I've found fascinating about MP as it's gone on: how openly lovely of a person Bina has become since the story started without becoming unlikeable or unsypmathetic in any way. Every criticism that people like Violet or West level at her is 100% accurate, and yet she has enough complexity to her that she's still a good (if incredibly damaged) person at heart.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Something tells me, just based on the title cover art, that this next chapter of Kiwi Blitz is gonna be really rough http://www.kiwiblitz.com/comic/page-491/

Mimicking the Gorillaz art style is also a neat choice. It really conveys just how loving done Steffi and Ben are with all of Jones's bullshit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I still maintain that Jones is the only person in Kiwi Blitz that is actually going to die before the end of the comic, but Gear keeps trying her damnedest to prove me wrong.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

She faces the webcomic artists' worst fear: Getting ten times your funding and feeling like you have to do something to justify the amount of money you got.

Hopefully she uses some of that cash to hire a guest artist to finish the early chapter re-draws of Kiwi Blitz she started while she focuses on her current projects. They just kind of petered out as she ran out of time for them between her other obligations, and it was neat seeing the first bits redone to give the comic a sort of visual continuity. I hope that does get finished eventually.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, you got Rogue One this year, Episode VIII next year, the Han Solo movie in 2018, and Episode IX in 2019, so we're 75% of the way there.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

It's been superceded by Auralnauts

Auralnauts does some brilliant stuff, true, but I am getting a little distressed that each new Star Wars parody they put out just seems to get longer and longer, not gonna lie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Gently Caress posted:

Why would you Sword Interval when you can Derelict?

Derelict is great, but he's sadly sacrificed it on the altar of the Sword Interval for the time being because SI is the thing that's actually helping him pay the bills right now. Derelict is coming back eventually though, and it's not like it hasn't gone nearly whole years without update before.

I'm just sad that now that it's actually developed a real plot, it kind of fell apart behind the scenes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm starting to think that Magnolia Porter might be a secret sadist given how she keeps making all these horrible things happen to her characters on various holidays.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Meanwhile, my latest webcomic fascination, the understatedly superb Colorblind has finally started updating again after like a solid year's hiatus while the author got their personal life in order. It still blows my mind every time I see it that, text bubbles aside, the entire thing is done in real pen and ink.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pyroclastic posted:

Waaaay too much scrolling. Even just scrolling rapidly through, without reading it, it was too much scrolling.

loving "infinite canvas" strikes again.

Yeah, there's some generally good stuff on both Webtoons and Tapastic, but both platforms have decided to shoot themselves in the foot with the same unwieldy garbage infinite canvas layout.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Like, I will give Tapastic credit over Webtoons, it's better designed to mitigate the infinite canvas than WT is. It has soft page ends and auto skip buttons that minimize scrolling through the infinite canvas, and it's sidebar lets you jump to anywhere in the whole comic's archive.

That said, if the artist usually includes a link to their main site on either platform, I'll usually bookmark that instead of putting up with Tapastic or Webtoons.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Magnolia Porter continues to be an amazingly deft visual storyteller, being able to wrap up a mystery that has lingered for over two years now in two panels with ^almost no dialog.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 15, 2017

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuebot posted:

:aaa: I never knew she did stuff other than the teaching comic.

She's got three comics on the go, actually. Sleepless Domain, Let's Speak English, and my favorite of the three: Kiwi Blitz which is actually heading into its final story arc, or has been for a while now anyway because she keeps putting it on the backburner to focus on LSE and Sleepless Domain.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Oh. I wasn't aware LSE was finished. The only one of hers I really follow is Kiwi Blitz.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah. It's a combination of Cagle's tendency to linger on slower, character focused moments (I swear Ben and Steffi have been sitting on her garage floor for like 5 months now) combined with a once a week update schedule and frequent hiatuses that have protracted relatively compact story, all told. I binged through Kiwi Blitz myself one day after having it stored in my bookmarks for like three years prior to that and I was kind of astounded when I was done with how "short" it felt, all things considered.

It's still a fantastic comic though.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Why do I get the awful feeling that this chapter of Monster Pulse is gonna see Maugras strangling Lulenski in a fit of righteous indignation when he finally finds out about all the horrible poo poo she's either unleashed, been a party to, or is currently working on?

As sympathetic as they both are, Rjinder and Lulenski are both really lovely people and I want to see them get their comeuppance for basically, well, "All of Monster Pulse thus far" in one form or another.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AriadneThread posted:

maugras is now doomed, imo
i'm just not sure if rjinder will kill him or lulenski will, i'm leaning lulenski

Oh, definitely, there is no way that little trinity is coming out of this chapter with all three of them still alive at this point. Like, I'm hoping Maugras gets out alive, but Magnolia has gotten really good at not pulling her punches lately. My money's more on Rjinder killing him, but Lulenski's been a loving dark horse in the "wait, is she really gonna go there?" department, so who knows.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tollymain posted:

i like to talk about good comics but i don't know any that update on sunday

When it actually updates, Everblue usually updates on Sundays. It's a really beautiful comic with some cool worldbuilding, but the artist's actual job keeps him from updating it more than like once every two months, which is really frustrating.

Another good one I found a while back (that updates on Mondays and Wednesdays, but whatever) is Parallax. Its this incredibly well drawn sort of affectionate send up of Sailor Moon/Madoka Magica type magical girl stories only featuring a boy in the pivotal role instead. The writing's really matured since the artist started updating regularly too.

So there. There's a pair of Good webcomic recs to balance out the thread's bile fascination with utter garbage poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Teddybear posted:

Hey, always worth an ask: are there any good webcomics with LGBT themes/characters? I know of Check Please, which is slow-updating but pretty cute, and somewhat along the lines of what I was looking for.

Parallax, which I highlighted last week, is slowly unveiling itself as an LGBT-ish comic. It hasn't quite shifted from subtext to text yet, but it's a pretty safe bet it will eventually.

Also Monster Pulse straight up casually confirmed that West was gay last year and it's just been a normal background detail to his character for a long while before that.

• Locked thread