Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

why do like half the arty comics out there suddenly have text like this i am looking at your thing on a giant rear end photo-editing screen and can't read poo poo

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

why are people so fixated on that one lovely dude, he does not suck in an interesting way

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i found Dobson's new comic

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Just Offscreen posted:

That fact that, with an American accent, Prague Race and Progress can be in any way interchangeable.

there is no Earthly accent in which they particularly resemble each other

isn't the creator Finnish or something anyway

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Aug 21, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Question! I checked out of lackadaisy right around the first time Mordecai went psycho on some guys with a woodaxe (and the pieces got fed to some pigs).

How much more content has been added since then, and how regular are updates presently?

like that much again, maybe a bit more

a whole lot more if you count drawings of the cats as humans/drawings of the assassin cats who don't hang out together anymore bantering/etc

it really updates in fits and starts but a lot more work seems to be going into the newer pages too, cause they're fucken gorgeous and make the old ones look drab

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 1, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

i just picked up Kill Six Billion Demons again, and if im understanding this correctly did the Conquering King show up to tap Allison to take out the seven demiurges? thats kind of a weird choice, but i guess hes the god-figure.

more or less

it's not clear why or if it was really supposed to be her and not her boyfriend (or why he'd be any better a pick), that's kinda the big question behing the plot rn, and dude's not the most lucid of dead guys

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Rand Brittain posted:

I really like Erfworld

why

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Have you dorks seen a cartoon before

no; tell me more

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's more like age-ism in this case, really. Although, Lily has proven to be a bit of a prodigy, so who knows? Maybe she'll be able to beat out the clock.

no it's pretty straight up racism

did you not catch the bit where all her friends are making fun of her behind her back, and her teacher accuses her of cheating because she does well on tests. and like, nobody wants the possums to do anything or be anywhere, and Poppy is only kinda accepted because she's Superman

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

That's the thing though, it's very easy to get in over your head and a lot of these guys just don't have any business experience at all. If you know what your getting into and don't jump the gun then I can see how it would be hugely useful and obviously plenty of people have used it to great effect. It's just that a lot of these people go into it without any plan at all and that's when you end up with big controversies and poo poo.

I don't know, I guess I just find it disturbing that the current system can be so hit-or-miss. Paetron seems like a much better system when it comes to accountability and poo poo but that's more of a "steady source of income" thing rather than a "build capital for big project" thing.

most small businesses fail for pretty much these reasons and IDK that the field was much better back when all but like four of those guys never had an opportunity to fail, cause there was never any real chance they'd manage anything but doodling in their off hours for ad money in the first place

off the top of my head Spike the Templar Arizona lady has built like a little media empire entirely off doing a successful Kickstarter every year

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 13, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Quinton posted:

I do wish he'd find better hosting than tumblr, which is super-clunky for comic viewing. Oh well!

it's so good but every time I look at it I just get unreasonably angry at the hosed-up image autoscaling, so I don't. I would loving buy the hosting for this dude if he'd stick it on a generic Wordpress template or something.

Is 'presentation is part of the art, too' not something they teach illustrators

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 18, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Or they can delegate keys to trusted minions.

I'm not sure what'd dumber in the last panel - drinking the drink, or announcing that she's got a non-king key.

i'm p sure the keys mean the bearer can permit or restrict access to the corresponding universes to any number of people, if nothing else because the other way would make them pretty useless. Total control over the comings and goings of your subjects makes you the tyrant of an empire with trade and armies and stuff. Total control over where you, personally, can go makes you a hobo.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 23, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Heresiarch posted:

Is it time for a K6BD thread?

If so, it needs to be named "Kill Six Billion Threads - Reach Heaven Through Posting".

i know discussing web comics in the web comics thread is highly frightening and disturbing but imo it does not get any less so with the weird obsessive behaviors every single-comic thread develops

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

I don't get how Lily had hope for that dream at all. Possums can't use magic, and wasn't it spelled out in an earlier strip that the vast, vast majority of doctors practice magic medicine? To the point where it's actually incredibly hard to find one that can work on possums at all? I mean, yeah, she's a kid... but even still, I'm surprised that the thing that broke her hope was "You'll probably die before finishing doctor school" and not "You'll never even make it in doctor school to begin with, since you can't use almost any modern medical techniques."
Either way, it's still kind of depressing to see her dreams crushed like that. :negative:

the point was to be a non-magic doctor to help possums, seeing as y'know there's sort of persistent reminders everywhere that her mom's dying and there's a critical lack of non-magic medical staff who can help her.

that there's a comically bullshit amount of rigamarole involved in becoming a possum-doc that seems almost specifically designed to exclude possums just sort of drove home that that world wasn't made for her and she'll never be permitted to be anything but the very few things rejects are allowed to be. Y'know, in the same ~half-hour she found out everyone assumes she must be cheating because she's getting good grades and possums can't even accomplish that much.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 12, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SlothfulCobra posted:

Does anyone read Erin Dies Alone on The Escapist? It's kind of a darker spinoff of Critical Miss, but they're taking the schtick where Erin hallucinates videogame characters more seriously.

This is the most elaborate suicide note I've ever seen but it makes a compelling case for itself

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

What is going on with Schlock Mercenary?

It's been stuck in a rut for like six years where ithe author clearly doesn't want to be rehashing the exact same situation and 'jokes' sitcom-style forever but can't break its formula to build on anything he's set up narratively and its plotlines are growing less coherent

oh you mean the site being down

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

NorgLyle posted:

Isn't Questionable Content set in a vaguely defined sci fi futureland with robots and space stations and teleporters? Wouldn't a trans character in that setting be pretty much just any other woman? Also, the writer of /Questionable Content/ is doing a trans character? Is it actually offensive or just clueless and bland?

it's straight up 'Neuromancer, just not the interesting parts where things happen' and the blond spaz girl is a literal Tessier-Ashpool, which is the funniest longrunning joke in comics but also not one that really requires you to actually read it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

majormonotone posted:

I stopped reading about when that started because gently caress, he couldn't even make that interesting

at one point the cast is transported up to the Villa Straylight and they spend the entire time making limp banter about their sex lives and barely even acknowledge the gigantic space station or the superintelligent AI running it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Nov 17, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

mycot posted:

To be fair isn't Kate Beaton a personal friend of Diaz too? Maybe he's really nice in person.

remember the extremely public meltdown he had over Mary Cagle making a mild joke that, naming no names, implied there was something unsavory about his webcomics waifu

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

when you're a webcomics person and there's like a dozen other people who do what you do, you're all struggling to make a living, none of you even had a revenue model until a couple years ago, and the only other people your work puts you in regular contact with are your horrific loving fans, I feel like you probably don't really get to pick your friends

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Do you chalk up every instance of ambient negativity to it being trendy?

those loving cool kids talking about their internet comics, think they're so much better than me, yeah, I'll show them some day

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

djw175 posted:

Snarlbear is a story about a girl's adventure through a dangerous and colorful land. Along the way she makes a few friends and picks up the basics of monster punching. Very colorful and striking art.

this looks like it might be good ty

in the same vein Stonebreaker is p rad

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Carrasco posted:

Erfworld's sense of pacing has always been its low point, and the fact that it can't seem to hold onto an artist just exacerbates it. Book 1 was an exception--it felt really cohesive, and it just kept escalating in a really satisfying way. But Book 2 had that interminable "I wanna be on the battlefield" which just stretched on and on and was, by the main character's admission, incredibly pointless compared to the effort involved.

Book 3 is doing better, it had a bit of the problem where it would keep switching between half a dozen different plot threads without really advancing any of them, but it seems to have locked back on to its main thread and has been steadily gathering momentum.

(The prequel story was actually pretty good, albeit rather bleak and hard to reconcile with the way the comic starts out.)

erfworld's low point is that it's a dramatic narrative built on monkey cheese epic meme references and the same 'haha what if games were real and their rules were physics, wouldn't that be wacky' premise that has already been flogged to death for literally every actual game that exists, and wasn't funny the first time

your and my low point is ever having read any of erfworld.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 18, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

Again it's one of the tons of bizzare ridiculous things that at some point I lost ability to keep track of but...

What is with the beardo in the sunglasses and the stone spooky sheet ghost wizard?

the last like dozen pages have been entirely about this chapter

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Just Offscreen posted:

Yeah i'm getting pretty tired of the whole Homestuck 1page 1 panel format- I know it's a lot easier to create content at a consistent pace, but it just comes off as lazy.

i mean, I'm not gonna read that thing cause it looks like it sucks regardless, but if you're gonna throw out hundreds of single-panel pages of five-minute art people gotta work through at least have your back and forward arrows in the same place on every page, so people can click on through without hunting for it

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 18, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Oxxidation posted:

Leona from Prague Race might be one of the most irritating protagonists I've seen in recent memory, and I don't think it's deliberate.

Like she's kind of a really lovely and manipulative person and yet the narrative always dances away from giving her a full rebuke in favor of making her seem quirky and sympathetic, it's getting super annoying!

the guy who literally never stops whining from page 1 is supposed to be sort of a weed too, in case you were somehow wondering

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 20, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Jackard posted:

Yea that comic looked interesting but then I read the first few pages and was like

it's really good and switches gears to crazytown in like chapter 3

also the girl everyone in the comic keeps pointing out is a jerk gets magical death cancer

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Nov 20, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

So I think Trudy Cooper has decided Sithrak is the funniest joke left in Oglaf? I'm not sure she's wrong.

the sithrak bits are all a little different and all genuinely funny so I'll take it becoming the Sithrak Show over ever seeing the mystique guy again

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenebrais posted:

"I will give you multiple solutions" is my favourite line in Oglaf. Also my favourite flirt in anything.

eh, too wordy

Morbi posted:

Okay, I just want to confirm that probably no one is more surprised than me that Oglaf and my own comic both updated with really specific Chick Tract parodies today.

at least you can still claim to be the only one with a running DC Simpson shaving fetish joke

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 23, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the Millie in Poppy O' Possum bears an odd resemblance to the lead character from popular old Calvin and Hobbes knockoff comic Ozy and Millie, which the author kept injecting his creepy shaving fetish into, despite the characters being small (animal) children

it didn't really bear explanation but there you go

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

I don't know anything about creepy fetish, but the fact that it kept happening was more a result of almost all of the events of that comic being recycled on a near annual basis.

it's a webcomic, it's both

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

It's been awhile since I linked my friends' comic, Dragondove, which is a fantasy-western comic involving, predictably, dragons. Also features hella lesbians, weirdos, shitheads, outlaws and badasses.

Also it's just a really good comic and I can't get enough of it even though I have direct access to Spoilers.

thats some nice art

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i could swear Pizza Hut actually did this for a while, and produced some of the most upsetting food commercials in history about it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

thechosenone posted:

has anyone read Modern Fried Snake? http://www.kiwisbybeat.com/modernarchive.html

I like it myself, but I want to know what everyone else thinks about it.

i really like everything else that guy's made but really, really not that one

idk why, I just don't see the point of whatever it's going for so it comes off incoherent and boring

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 9, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gabriel Pope posted:

The gently caress? Christ I hate people sometimes.

this isn't a mark against 'people' so much as a subscription system so profoundly loving dumb that doing this would work, to be fair

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Or, like, just start a person's billing cycle on the day they subscribe like literally every grownup subscription service

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fangz posted:

I think it's more an example of a system that has gotten bigger than the creators initially planned. It was always intended as something to let dedicated fans give money to creators they like, so I don't think they considered this behaviour at all.

Edit: Maybe you ultimately can't really stop bad actors that do stuff like this - even if you shut this down you'll have people uploading patron only things to file-sharing sites, etc. At least if you have them doing things this way, they'd be visiting the site regularly (instead of insert-piracy-site-here), it's more convenient for them to donate than not donate, and sometimes they'll forget to unsubscribe.

Not saying that changing things a bit won't improve things, but I don't think this is a huge error.

yeah a certain amount of piracy is inevitable, but when a large amount of the draw of using your service over like a Paypal tipjar is the ability to set up a steady revenue stream and treat your Patreon income like a real business it's pretty bizarre to gloss over basic small-business subscription things like getting paid upfront and giving the people the option to just let you see content they subscribed for rather than giving a scraper everything you ever put on Patreon for the cost of one month (which they don't even have to pay). It'd be the difference between some of your shittier fans compiling torrents of your stuff and having big one-stop-shop clearinghouse websites of like half the poo poo on Patreon but-you-don't-have-to-pay, which apparently are the real problem

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 12, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm on the other end of this. The stories feel real and I think you'd lose something if you tried to dress it up with humor. I can't think of any other comics that are quite like this and I think you'd lose a lot of the appeal if you changed that.

yeah trying to play this kind of stuff up as a jokey thing is what inflicted Something Positive on the world, as it is it's very simple and low-key without overtly editorializing on what's happening and that's perfect. Like the story in this strip is hosed up but also the expressions as the mom puts the cat in the trash are cracking me up. If it's too real for some people there's like fifty hintillion comics about superheroes who can punch away all their problems and you're not gonna compete with those for those folks' interest.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 7, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

SynthOrange posted:

Have a different kitty comic then

see this is just loathsome, to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Captain Bravo posted:

Oh christ, you posted it again, ohhhh nooo.

Ok, here's my childhood trauma that makes tears well up every time I see this comic. I was like, four years old, and we had kittens in the house. And they were adorable, and I loved playing with them, and it was a great time for everyone involved. One night I couldn't find one of the kittens. I looked, and looked, and finally found the naughty kitten hiding behind a chair. It was pooping! I scolded the kitten, "BAD KITTY!" and picked it up, and took it to the litter box. I set it in the litter box, and it just laid there. It just laid there, and did nothing. I finally went and got my mom. Turns out, the chair it was hiding behind? A rocking chair. The kitten had gotten squished, and that wasn't poop coming out it's butt, that was it's intestines. I think I probably cried for an entire day, after that, and my mom got rid of all the kittens because just seeing one made me cry again! It took me a few years after that to be able to handle kittens again, and even to this day I still remember that poor kitten, especially when I see something like this.

It's traumatic, but also kind of cathartic. It's perfect the way it is, gently caress the haters, if they don't like it that's their deal but I would be pretty disappointed if you changed it. It's raw and emotional and fierce in a way that few other online art offerings can be.

I think part of the reason that panel gets me is when I watched my first dog get hit by a car at like 12, that's pretty much a dead-on parody of me and my dad when he ambled down to speculate about the most convenient way to dispose of the broken dog, with him still flopping around on the ground trying to get up

A.o.D. posted:

You want some weapons grade trauma?

One time, when I was 9 years old, my father got so angry at me that he picked me up by my head in a kind of bear hug and carried me across the room. This caused my nose to bleed. The next day, being a child, I mentioned that this had happened at school. Within a day or two the state had taken custody of my brothers and I. I spent the next year as a ward of the state. I would only see my father two more times in my life.

aaaand i think you're set for next update

• Locked thread