Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Boulet is being amazing again...

http://english.bouletcorp.com/2015/08/26/brassens-in-space/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

How have I not known about Unsounded until now?! Just hit chapter four (so still a ways to go to catch up) and I'm really impressed. Neat world. Fun characters. Often very funny. Sometimes quite dark.

Usually tons of stuff going on on every page, and little things like the tip jar sight gag here are great:

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tenebrais posted:

Unsounded has its own thread! It is indeed a quality webcomic. You might be re-evaluating your estimation of how dark it is as you read on.

Just wrapped up chapter seven and the darkness has indeed cranked up quite a bit...

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

Patreon and Kickstarter aren't really comparable because as you say, they're for entirely different things, it's apples and oranges. Not sure why you're letting like three controversial Kickstarters sour the hundreds that have panned out great though! All systems are prone to flaws if you use them incorrectly, and webcomics are far from the only catagory of Kickstarter to occasionally fluff up.

I've backed quite a few kickstarters and the "print copy of a webcomic" ones have been just about the most reliable and least risk (and have resulted in a bunch of really nice graphic novels on my bookshelf), which makes sense since it's a pretty perfect fit to the model -- the content is *done* (though it may require some pre-press prep), a print run requires a minimum order to be viable, the costs are highly predictable, etc. Apart from people who just simply don't do the math (fees, taxes, overhead, etc), the biggest place they seem to get into trouble is crazy reward trinkets beyond actual books that turn out to be complex to fabricate or ship.

Both Patreon and Kickstarter are awesome tools for enabling creators to make their stuff (and make a living) and for me to give them money to do so.

Of 58 total kickstarter projects I've backed, 22 have been books from webcomic creators, and 19 of those have arrived in fantastic condition and 3 are in progress. Software can be really hit or miss (though I've been lucky), and hardware projects are probably the most difficult to predict success of.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I get the impression that her previous long hiatus (you'll note The Meek is back and has been updating weekly or better) was largely due to some legal/contractual dispute with her print publisher (hard to be sure, but reading between the lines of various posts, that's my take-away) which finally expired. I suspect that, like many creatives that have been burned by a bad contract, she'll be more cautious in the future, and I'm hopeful that the Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/shingworks?ty=h) will help make dedicated comic'ing more doable.

At the moment I'm enjoying both Mare Internum and The Meek updating 1-2 times a week. Yay comics.

Mare Internum is intended to be a (much) shorter story. Not sure if her plan is 100% The Meek after it wraps or another small story alongside, but either sounds good to me.

e: per reply below, sounds like it was probably not the publisher

Quinton fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 15, 2015

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

It must have been some other entity -- I had assumed the publisher since they'd be the ones most likely to end up with some legal ability to interfere (and there's plenty of precedent for creators inadvertantly giving up rights they had not meant to), but who knows. The salient point is that as far as I can tell Der-Shing is committed to telling this story, was apparently prevented from doing so for a while but is now back with a vengeance, and the end result is we get pages of The Meek again, so hooray for that.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 15, 2015

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Whatever the exact cause or causes for the lack of The Meek the previous few years, I am really happy to have it back, and Mare Internum is quality stuff too (though yeah it just took a turn for the seriously weird this week).

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Necropolis's 1-page-a-week update rate is borderline glacial, but I am really enjoying it.

( http://necropoliscomic.tumblr.com/ )

I do wish he'd find better hosting than tumblr, which is super-clunky for comic viewing. Oh well!

Meanwhile the latest page demanded avatars:

and maybe animation?

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

That's a bummer. Powernap was fun.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Powernap is already in my check-once-a-month rotation since it updates so infrequently, but yay that it's not actually ending. While I love stuff that updates like clockwork, I'll take good stuff that updates infrequently too.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Interesting change over at Patreon -- they're now showing the total dollar amount adjusted for Patreon fees, transaction fees, and declined pledges. This seems like an improvement to me (crowd funding and the like tends to obscure the built-in overhead which confused people about how much money is actually going where):
https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206197906

The biggest unaddressed issue seems to be people who "unsubscribe" at the end of every month just before billing and then resubscribe afterwards. It sounds like in some cases that can be 5-10% of "patrons" (based on some twitter chatter I saw a couple weeks back), which seems pretty crappy, and also seems like something Patreon could detect and manage better. Requiring payment of the previous months pledge on resubscription seems like it'd be fair -- if you unsub because you legitimately no longer want to follow that person / give them money, okay, fine, but conveniently changing your mind after the billing period is up should not be rewarded.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

it's like a more sinister Phantom Tollbooth with some really inventive art.

Now that got my attention. Liking this a lot.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Now that I've read the entire thing I hope it updates at least semi-regularly.

Looks like the creator has a Patreon and is about halfway to the "I can do this fulltime" goal.

One of the Patreon support tiers mentions a physical book, but I can't seem to find an option anywhere to just buy the book if you want to support the artist that way -- perhaps it was a limited run?

Quinton fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jan 19, 2016

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

Oh hey, she has some books up right now!

Nice! *clicks the BUY NOW button*

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tollymain posted:

derelict started updating again at some point

dang is being, well, dang

It's good to see her heading out away from "civilization" again. I wonder if she's actually going to circle back for Clint or if she's just taking off.

I'm hoping Ben is picking up some steam on Derelict again -- I loved book one and it feels like he got bogged down a bit at the start of book two.

edit: ahaha, his tumblr post for this page bears the caption "In which Dang uses every part of the animal."

Quinton fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jan 30, 2016

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Kojiro posted:

If you're into Derelict, btw, the first book is on sale til the 4th. Couldn't recommend it enough, it came out really nicely, and since Ben's moving house right now it'd be a great time to support him.

And it features a bonus comic wherein Dang has a nice day.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Tollymain posted:

evan dahm's work is really good read archivally (like, easily among the best webcomic work out there) but individual pages generally aren't as punchy as other stuff i read, so it's hard to keep up with regularly

He definitely works pretty exclusively long-form (and I love what he does) and unlike some other webcomics does not try to land a joke or significant beat on every single page (which is certainly impressive when you can tell a long-form story and make each page stand alone day by day -- not sure there are many creators who pull that off).

Speaking of other long-form comics I enjoy, Unsounded is due to return from its chapter-end hiatus tomorrow, and Blindsprings has been updating at a solid three pages a week for a while now and the story has definitely picked up the pace.

Quinton fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 14, 2016

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

A bunch of the Steven Universe staff started as web or fan comics folks.

A number of web comics folks have also had their web comics work and/or original work published by "real" publishers (as opposed to self-funded or kickstarter-funded self-publishing), like Tom Siddell (Gunnerkrigg Court), John Allison (Bad Machinery), Kate Beaton (Hark A Vagrant), Noel Stevenson (Nimona, Lumberjanes, working on Wander over Yonder).

There's a continuum from pure-amateur doing web comic stuff to getting started, to people who've "gone pro" and are still doing web comics in addition to other work, to people who started doing web comics as a side thing after years in industry. And talent and quality and whatnot is all over the map. But there's a ton of great stuff out there, no doubt about it.

I feel like the last decade or so has been the start of a golden age of self-published media hitting niches that stodgy traditional media disdains or ignores, and is evolving to a state where traditional publishers (in comics, books, games, whathaveyou) are starting to see indie content as an exciting source of new things, which is a nice counterpoint to the endless sequels and crap coming out of Hollywood and AAA gaming, by comparison.

It still takes talent and dedication but the tools a publishing venues now exist such that pretty much anyone can get a comic, a book, a video game out in front of an audience. Not all of these will be good, and not all will succeed, but there's some amazing stuff turning up nonetheless.

I wonder how far we are from really decent indie TV and movies -- high quality video recording and editing has gotten cheaper, but I think one of the challenges in this space is the number of people needed to shoot non-trivial footage -- unlike comics, books, or games it's harder to do this stuff with just one person or 2-3 people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

The original 3 issues are $0.99/ea at Comixology under "Giant Days: Year One"
https://www.comixology.com/Giant-Days-Year-One/comics-series/12162

• Locked thread